AIRPEACE CEO Allen Onyema Threatens NFF Over Hiring of an FC.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
AIRPEACE CEO Allen Onyema Threatens NFF Over Hiring of an FC.....

Post by Enugu II »

Airpeace CEO Allen Onyema threatens NFF with lawsuit over Super Eagles coach selection
https://soccernet.ng/2024/03/airpeace-a ... endeavour.

George Finidi is presently the caretaker coach of the Super Eagles as the NFF continues to shop around for a substantive manager

Allen Onyema, the Managing Director and CEO of Airpeace, a prominent Nigerian airline, has stirred the pot in the ongoing debate surrounding the selection of the new coach for the Super Eagles, Soccernet.ng reports.
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) finds itself at the center of attention as it navigates the task of filling the coaching vacancy left by Jose Peseiro. The former Sporting Lisbon and Porto manager guided Nigeria to a commendable second-place finish at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations just last month.

With the NFF opening the floodgates for applications, both domestic and foreign, for the coveted coaching position, speculations have run rampant regarding the Federation’s inclination towards appointing another foreign tactician.

Onyema, not only a titan in the business world but also a fervent football enthusiast and ardent supporter of the Super Eagles, has voiced his discontent with the apparent preference for a foreign coach over a local candidate.

He vehemently argues that Nigeria possesses the talent and expertise domestically to helm the national team.

In a bold move, Onyema called upon fellow fans to unite in legal action against the NFF if they persist in appointing a foreign coach. He pledged not only his support but also his financial backing for such a legal endeavour.

Expressing his frustration to City People Online, Onyema stated,
“I don’t see the reason why we cannot have a look into the country and get somebody out there that will take on the Super Eagles. As far as I am concerned, Eguavoen succeeded to some level.

“A lot of them succeeded. The truth is that when a foreign coach bows out from the group stage, nobody talks; when a Nigerian coach bows out from Quarterfinals or semi-finals, oh, if it had been a foreign coach, we would have won the cup.

“Nobody gives Nigerian coaches a chance. Nigerians should rise up against any NFF that goes again to get any angel* as a foreign coach.

“We don’t need a foreign coach; let us grow our own. Let us even save the naira. Let us grow our own and give the Nigerian coach the same incentive you give the foreign coach and see them excel.

“In fact, we should go to court to stop NFF from employing foreign coaches; I will join you, I am telling you.

“And I will fund it. We should go to court. We must begin to love this country; that’s all I have to say about this NFF now.”

An indigenous coach, the late Stephen Keshi, engineered Nigeria’s last triumph at the AFCON in 2013.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg
Re: AIRPEACE CEO Allen Onyema Threatens NFF Over Hiring of an FC.....

Post by ahidjo2 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:16 am
Airpeace CEO Allen Onyema threatens NFF with lawsuit over Super Eagles coach selection

George Finidi is presently the caretaker coach of the Super Eagles as the NFF continues to shop around for a substantive manager

Allen Onyema, the Managing Director and CEO of Airpeace, a prominent Nigerian airline, has stirred the pot in the ongoing debate surrounding the selection of the new coach for the Super Eagles, Soccernet.ng reports.
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) finds itself at the center of attention as it navigates the task of filling the coaching vacancy left by Jose Peseiro. The former Sporting Lisbon and Porto manager guided Nigeria to a commendable second-place finish at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations just last month.

With the NFF opening the floodgates for applications, both domestic and foreign, for the coveted coaching position, speculations have run rampant regarding the Federation’s inclination towards appointing another foreign tactician.

Onyema, not only a titan in the business world but also a fervent football enthusiast and ardent supporter of the Super Eagles, has voiced his discontent with the apparent preference for a foreign coach over a local candidate.

He vehemently argues that Nigeria possesses the talent and expertise domestically to helm the national team.

In a bold move, Onyema called upon fellow fans to unite in legal action against the NFF if they persist in appointing a foreign coach. He pledged not only his support but also his financial backing for such a legal endeavour.

“I don’t see the reason why we cannot have a look into the country and get somebody out there that will take on the Super Eagles. As far as I am concerned, Eguavoen succeeded to some level.

“A lot of them succeeded. The truth is that when a foreign coach bows out from the group stage, nobody talks; when a Nigerian coach bows out from Quarterfinals or semi-finals, oh, if it had been a foreign coach, we would have won the cup.

“Nobody gives Nigerian coaches a chance. Nigerians should rise up against any NFF that goes again to get any angel* as a foreign coach.

“We don’t need a foreign coach; let us grow our own. Let us even save the naira. Let us grow our own and give the Nigerian coach the same incentive you give the foreign coach and see them excel.

“In fact, we should go to court to stop NFF from employing foreign coaches; I will join you, I am telling you.

“And I will fund it. We should go to court. We must begin to love this country; that’s all I have to say about this NFF now.”

An indigenous coach, the late Stephen Keshi, engineered Nigeria’s last triumph at the AFCON in 2013.
The data compiled for foreign and local coaches' achievements since 1980 is seriously crying for Onyema's attention. This is what happens in black Africa when people (even those one thinks should know) draw conclusions based on emotions and sentiments. Other serious countries use data to make informed decisions but not in black Africa. It's always beer parlor kind of discussions and decisions.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Onyema, is right. I don't have Onyema's money now but getting there. I will support with my finances to sue the NFF. This is ridiculous. Our slave leaders are desperate to give the job to their White masters. Sadly, we have slaves as forumers with all due respect who subscribe to NFF's love for foreign coaches.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The man is a tout. He’s wet leasing a Norwegian Airline plane fully staffed with Norwegian pilots and crew for his London route. Do we not have pilots and flight attendants in Nigeria ? Why do we need Norwegians to serve cold jollof rice on a Lagos - London flight?
Why can’t he trust Nigerian pilots?
OCCUPY NFF!!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:18 am The man is a tout. He’s wet leasing a Norwegian Airline plane fully staffed with Norwegian pilots and crew for his London route. Do we not have pilots and flight attendants in Nigeria ? Why do we need Norwegians to serve cold jollof rice on a Lagos - London flight?
You've said it all! What an hypocrite.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ahidjo2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:46 am

The data compiled for foreign and local coaches' achievements since 1980 is seriously crying for Onyema's attention. This is what happens in black Africa when people (even those one thinks should know) draw conclusions based on emotions and sentiments. Other serious countries use data to make informed decisions but not in black Africa. It's always beer parlor kind of discussions and decisions.
The data you presented do not simply look at foreign v local managers records but do so at that group and not individual level. Moreover, you did not include data from all Nigeria's games, as I have noted. Secondly, I pointed out some issues and with your adjustments to those issues, the difference in performance was much closer. Third, as you may know hiring simply based on foreign or local could be problematic because it is a focus on group level and not necessarily at an individualized level. As you very well know, a Jose Morinho, Pep Guardiola etc do not equate to others who are European and may be coaching elsewhere in Rwanda etc whereas we know that Bosso for instance cannot be equated to Keshi even though both are local. In essence, digging deeper to an individual level is more likely to be more informative. In essence, hiring an FC or an LC does not immediately indicate who may achieve better. Perhaps, a deeper dive on the individual that one hires may matter more than simply hiring an FC and an LC.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I need to read up discrimination laws in the work place in Nigeria. Maybe that is an angle to sue the NFF. But it will be tough. They will just say they also interviewed Nigerian coaches. Which all know they will pick a bad journey man white coach over a local coach. It is real colomentality, shameful.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

ohenhen1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:36 am I need to read up discrimination laws in the work place in Nigeria. Maybe that is an angle to sue the NFF. But it will be tough. They will just say they also interviewed Nigerian coaches. Which all know they will pick a bad journey man white coach over a local coach. It is real colomentality, shameful.
While you’re at it You should research what the law says about hiring foreign flight attendants to serve rice on Nigerian flagged airlines. Don’t bother about them instructing you to fasten your seat belt .
OCCUPY NFF!!
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:50 am

The data you presented do not simply look at foreign v local managers records but do so at that group and not individual level. Moreover, you did not include data from all Nigeria's games, as I have noted. Secondly, I pointed out some issues and with your adjustments to those issues, the difference in performance was much closer. Third, as you may know hiring simply based on foreign or local could be problematic because it is a focus on group level and not necessarily at an individualized level. As you very well know, a Jose Morinho, Pep Guardiola etc do not equate to others who are European and may be coaching elsewhere in Rwanda etc whereas we know that Bosso for instance cannot be equated to Keshi even though both are local. In essence, digging deeper to an individual level is more likely to be more informative. In essence, hiring an FC or an LC does not immediately indicate who may achieve better. Perhaps, a deeper dive on the individual that one hires may matter more than simply hiring an FC and an LC.
Enugu II, I'm not sure you read my responses to your concerns. If you have any data to show that the local coaches have performed better either at the individual or group level or since soccer started, please present. My records show that in recent times, the local coaches have failed to qualify for AFCON 3 times since 2010 (2012, 2015, 2017). No foreign coach has ever failed to qualify for AFCON since then and they made it to 3rd place 80% of the time. The local coaches have failed to qualify us for the world cup twice since 1994 (2006 and 2022). No foreign coach has ever failed to qualify for the world cup since then. What else are you looking for to know that most of our coaches are not up to per in terms of tactics adjustment, creativity, detailed planning and modernity in coaching? You see, coaching is like teaching. Being a smart student (player) does not equate to being a good teacher (coach). Being a good teacher is influenced by your environment and training. The Nigerian environment makes it possible for a Computer professor to teach computer science with a white or blackboard without computers. Such teachers should not be allowed to teach students at Harvard who are exposed to modern technologies and pedagogies associated with modern teaching. Any Nigerian coach who has had the experience of coaching in Europe is welcome to coach the Super Eagles made up of players that mostly ply their trades in Europe. As things stand, only an insignificant amount of our coaches have such experience. Most importantly, our local coaches have failed woefully and spectacularly in the continent in recent times and should not be rewarded with promotion to the Super Eagles. Please I need data to support the position, otherwise, this will continue to be wishy-washy sentimentalism :)
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:18 am The man is a tout. He’s wet leasing a Norwegian Airline plane fully staffed with Norwegian pilots and crew for his London route. Do we not have pilots and flight attendants in Nigeria ? Why do we need Norwegians to serve cold jollof rice on a Lagos - London flight?
You can lie :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

highbury wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:59 am
“According to Air Peace, the agreement with the UK-based arm of Norwegian carrier Norse is a wet-lease deal that will last for two months initially, but with the possibility of an extension. The airlines have also disclosed that they are in exploratory talks about further ways in which Norse aircraft could be sued to expedite Air Peace’s ambitious long-haul expansion plans. “

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/air- ... norse-787s

Not even the aircraft mechanics will be Nigeria.Oni gbese!

“ Wet leasing is an arrangement where the lessor provides an aircraft and the crew too. So here, the lessor is responsible for the operational maintenance of the flight. In contrast, dry leasing is an arrangement where the lessor offers only an aircraft, without crew and ground staff.”

https://www.business-standard.com/podca ... 088_1.html
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The man is talking rubbish.
Firstly, on what legal basis would he sue the NFF?
Secondly, let him take a look at his senior technical crew for his airline and tell us the ratio of Nigerians to foreigners.
What are the foreigners doing in there? :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:30 am
highbury wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:59 am
“According to Air Peace, the agreement with the UK-based arm of Norwegian carrier Norse is a wet-lease deal that will last for two months initially, but with the possibility of an extension. The airlines have also disclosed that they are in exploratory talks about further ways in which Norse aircraft could be sued to expedite Air Peace’s ambitious long-haul expansion plans. “

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/air- ... norse-787s

Not even the aircraft mechanics will be Nigeria.Oni gbese!

“ Wet leasing is an arrangement where the lessor provides an aircraft and the crew too. So here, the lessor is responsible for the operational maintenance of the flight. In contrast, dry leasing is an arrangement where the lessor offers only an aircraft, without crew and ground staff.”

https://www.business-standard.com/podca ... 088_1.html
Thank you.
He can make such statements to impress the average fan but let him come to a place like CE and receive a well-deserved first round TKO.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ahidjo2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:56 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:50 am

Enugu II, I'm not sure you read my responses to your concerns. If you have any data to show that the local coaches have performed better either at the individual or group level or since soccer started, please present. My records show that in recent times, the local coaches have failed to qualify for AFCON 3 times since 2010 (2012, 2015, 2017). No foreign coach has ever failed to qualify for AFCON since then and they made it to 3rd place 80% of the time. The local coaches have failed to qualify us for the world cup twice since 1994 (2006 and 2022). No foreign coach has ever failed to qualify for the world cup since then. What else are you looking for to know that most of our coaches are not up to per in terms of tactics adjustment, creativity, detailed planning and modernity in coaching? You see, coaching is like teaching. Being a smart student (player) does not equate to being a good teacher (coach). Being a good teacher is influenced by your environment and training. The Nigerian environment makes it possible for a Computer professor to teach computer science with a white or blackboard without computers. Such teachers should not be allowed to teach students at Harvard who are exposed to modern technologies and pedagogies associated with modern teaching. Any Nigerian coach who has had the experience of coaching in Europe is welcome to coach the Super Eagles made up of players that mostly ply their trades in Europe. As things stand, only an insignificant amount of our coaches have such experience. Most importantly, our local coaches have failed woefully and spectacularly in the continent in recent times and should not be rewarded with promotion to the Super Eagles. Please I need data to support the position, otherwise, this will continue to be wishy-washy sentimentalism :)
I really don’t see the problem Enugu II has with your breakdown.
It’s pretty simple and busts a lot of myths and half-truths many like to trot out when making their arguments in favour of one side or the other..
Yes, one might want to do a further break down but that’ll simply be with a view to skewing the results the other way.
I was a little surprised at the results myself, but it is what it is. But 1980 to the present time in your study for instance is a perfectly reasonable time period in my opinion from which to get a fair picture. That’s 44 years.

The only ‘deeper dive’ I might have done would have been to compute the total number of games in charge by the foreigners vs the locals. But even when a couple of years ago I did a PWDL & Win Ratio comparison for Keshi, Westerhoff, Rohr and Amodu, people were still coming up with all sorts of funny excuses to debunk the raw data.

Unterestingly, the only coach that clearly stood out was Amodu.
By a country mile sef.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:12 am]
Onyema, is right. I don't have Onyema's money now but getting there. I will support with my finances to sue the NFF. This is ridiculous. Our slave leaders are desperate to give the job to their White masters. Sadly, we have slaves as forumers with all due respect who subscribe to NFF's love for foreign coaches.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You will lose your money, plus deposit.
Bring the money. I will invest it for you in Nollywood. :taunt:
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I wonder if he would still sue if the NFF appoint Jose Mourinho
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 am The man is talking rubbish.
Secondly, let him take a look at his senior technical crew for his airline and tell us the ratio of Nigerians to foreigners.
I would certainly like to see that. I'm sure the dude will be exposed as a hypocrite.

They're hiring expats everywhere in Nigeria with the required experience at a certain level. I'm still scratching my head as to why they have this chip on their shoulders regarding a football manager.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

He said Eguavoen succeeded? That’s the kind of success this guy wants? Wonderful!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:02 am
Damunk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 am The man is talking rubbish.
I would certainly like to see that. I'm sure the dude will be exposed as a hypocrite.

They're hiring expats everywhere in Nigeria with the required experience at a certain level. I'm still scratching my head as to why they have this chip on their shoulders regarding a football manager.
Because they underrate the kind of expertise that goes into the job.
It’s like, ‘Sebi na to choose, defend and score goal? What is in it?’ :roll:

It’s a patronising attitude we have always had towards certain professions and skills.
It’s why Nigerian coaches will be hard pressed to command the kind of wages they deserve at that level.
Sebi na coach?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I'm all for local coaches but on what basis would he sue the NFF if they don't hire local managers. There will always be foreign managers that might be good for the SE so ruling them out totally is unnecessary. All I want is for local managers to get more opportunities and be given equal treatment to foreign managers.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:03 am He said Eguavoen succeeded? That’s the kind of success this guy wants? Wonderful!
Eguavoen did not succeed. However he was only an interim coach with very little time to get his team together and little room for error.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

aruako1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:45 am I'm all for local coaches but on what basis would he sue the NFF if they don't hire local managers. There will always be foreign managers that might be good for the SE so ruling them out totally is unnecessary. All I want is for local managers to get more opportunities and be given equal treatment to foreign managers.
It’s a no brainer; wide gapping hole/ context for publicity stunt
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."