Should NPFL Go On? Shehu Dikko Says YES......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Should NPFL Go On? Shehu Dikko Says YES......

Post by Enugu II »

What do you think?
Shehu Dikko: NPFL games to continue for now
https://www.aclsports.com/shehu-dikko-n ... e-for-now/
Fisayo Dairo March 17, 2020

Chairman of Nigeria’s League Management Company (LMC) Shehu Dikko has disclosed that Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) games will go ahead for now.

The 2019/20 league season enters its Match Day 25 on Wednesday with ten games already billed to hold across different centres.
However, in the light of the Coronavirus pandemic that has ravaged several countries of the world, calls have been made in Nigeria for the league body to discontinue the season as a precautionary measure.

Earlier on Tuesday, Nigeria’s National Sports Festival (NSF) earlier billed to commence on Sunday in Benin City, Edo State was postponed indefinitely due to fears surrounding the spread of the Coronavirus.

In the wake of that postponement, Dikko told http://www.aclsports.com that the league body are working with the ministries of Sports and Health to ensure the best decisions are made always.

“Well, on the COVID 19 we have to watch and work with Government Directives and we have been asking questions both through the Minister of Sports and contacts at the health authorities,” began Dikko.

“Now the Health authorities have advised for the National Sports Festival to be postponed, we are duty bound to also review our situation.

According to @ShehuDikko, the league is in constant checks with the Ministry of Health for advice. He adds that after tomorrow's game, they will review further on future games.

“Thus, after tomorrow (Wednesday)’s NPFL games, we will have to review if to revert all the games to closed door like being done in some countries like Turkey and or postpone for a few weeks.

“We still have to consult the authorities appropriately in this regard,” he added.

Nigeria’s top flight (NPFL) is the only league currently ongoing in the country with the women’s top flight billed to start their new season on Wednesday.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Should NPFL Go On? Shehu Dikko Says YES......

Post by mcal »

...in the west where COVID-19 is prevalent, (Mexico for example) they are still playing. Why Nigeria always like to copy (England/Europe) for all the wrong reasons?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

It shows the typical mindset of Africans about the virus. I would understand if Nigeria has a strategy in place to contain the virus if it were to spread, but that's not the basis of their decision. The decision is not based on any scientific data. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Corona not affecting the NPFL.. Matches still going ahead:
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Yes. COVID-19 hasn't affected Africa like it has other continents.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

olu wrote:Yes. COVID-19 hasn't affected Africa like it has other continents.

How many people have you tested to support this conclusion? Are we waiting till it affects Africa like it has other continents before taking precaution?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

1naija wrote:It shows the typical mindset of Africans about the virus. I would understand if Nigeria has a strategy in place to contain the virus if it were to spread, but that's not the basis of their decision. The decision is not based on any scientific data. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

I am with you.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

The league should go on, so far it is played in the hot afternoon.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Nigeria just announced 5 new cases, hopefully Shehu Dikko will come to his senses now. You've got to wonder how many more are yet to be detected. Lets save lives first, all else including money can come back, lives don't.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

felarey wrote:Nigeria just announced 5 new cases, hopefully Shehu Dikko will come to his senses now. You've got to wonder how many more are yet to be detected. Lets save lives first, all else including money can come back, lives don't.
I totally AGREE that ALL football (and gatherings) everywhere should be on hold for now...

However, those cases were 3 arrivals from the UK and 2 from the US (including an American biking through Africa).
There’s thus far been no evidence of community-based infection in Nigeria, although one suspect it might due to limited testing.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Gotti wrote:
felarey wrote:Nigeria just announced 5 new cases, hopefully Shehu Dikko will come to his senses now. You've got to wonder how many more are yet to be detected. Lets save lives first, all else including money can come back, lives don't.
I totally AGREE that ALL football (and gatherings) everywhere should be on hold for now...

However, those cases were 3 arrivals from the UK and 2 from the US (including an American biking through Africa).
There’s thus far been no evidence of community-based infection in Nigeria, although one suspect it might due to limited testing.
Only a matter of time before that happens. The National Sports Festival has been postponed, Lagos state just suspended religious gatherings...church services et al. Football will be next.....
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
1naija wrote:It shows the typical mindset of Africans about the virus. I would understand if Nigeria has a strategy in place to contain the virus if it were to spread, but that's not the basis of their decision. The decision is not based on any scientific data. I think it's better to be safe than sorry.
I am with you.
Actually, Nigeria has an admirably robust strategy in place...
And has now banned travel from 13 high-risk countries (including US and UK).

Meanwhile, any spectators at NPFL football matches outside of Kano are by definition already observing social spacing and isolation. :lol:
Last edited by Gotti on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ukwala wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Only a matter of time before that happens. The National Sports Festival has been postponed, Lagos state just suspended religious gatherings...church services et al. Football will be next.....
Think 1 or 2 Northern states have also suspended religious services for 30 days.

Meanwhile, the National Assembly has passed a resolution today calling for the mandatory suspension of all religious and similar gathering throughout Nigeria, and has taken the decision to test all members and staff of the Assembly. In addition, visitors are banned from the NASS Complex until further notice. Interesting times ahead.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Some guys on the site sound so much like Trump and his Fox new friends did as late as 10 days ago. They just saw no problem despite impeccable scientific and epidemiological data this was coming.
Now folks say, Not a problem in Africa, it is a conspiracy, they are playing in Mexico why do have to do like Europe/ US. Overacting and saving lives is not a bad thing and if Africa is really spared great but if not we should all that is necessary.
There were 116 cases in SA today from just a handful last week
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

My opinion has changed. With the number of cases slowly rising, I think the league should be put on hold.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

League suspended till further notice
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

olu wrote:My opinion has changed. With the number of cases slowly rising, I think the league should be put on hold.
the corona cases seem to spread exponentially. Updated scientific models now appear to suggest approx 50 undetected cases for every case detected :shock:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Gotti wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
I am with you.
Actually, Nigeria has an admirably robust strategy in place...
And has now banned travel from 13 high-risk countries (including US and UK).

Meanwhile, any spectators at NPFL football matches outside of Kano are by definition already observing social spacing and isolation. :lol:

Uncle, What's the robust strategy? That we fought Ebola? What strategy do we have when people are still getting packed in churches, and attending large wedding ceremonies? If anything, we are acting naïve about the whole thing. I hope the numbers will remain low, but we don't have any proven strategy!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

1naija wrote:Uncle, What's the robust strategy? That we fought Ebola? What strategy do we have when people are still getting packed in churches, and attending large wedding ceremonies? If anything, we are acting naïve about the whole thing. I hope the numbers will remain low, but we don't have any proven strategy!
Grandpa, I just told you about religious services and such gatherings being suspended, or can’t you read even with your glasses? :lol:

Flights from high-risk countries have been banned and visas suspended, NYSC has been put on hold and its camps closed, some states (Lagos, Kwara, Kaduna and all 6 North-West states, etc.) are shutting down all public and private schools indefinitely, others (Lagos, Ogun, etc.) are banning all gatherings of 50 or more persons, the sports festival is postponed, all the leagues (NPFL, NNL, NWFL, Amateur League) and youth football programs have now been suspended, while concerts, award shows, seminars and conferences are being cancelled or postponed, etc., etc. What else do you want in terms of social distancing? Meanwhile, TODAY in the US, families and folks of all ages are wilding out at some PACKED beaches.

Btw, while this is a new virus that has thrown the ENTIRE WORLD for a loop and EVERYONE is trying to catch up and making it up as they go along, Nigeria successfully fighting off Ebola is not inconsequential from a public health emergency capacity point of view.
Last edited by Gotti on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:16 am, edited 15 times in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

kawawa wrote:Some guys on the site sound so much like Trump and his Fox new friends did as late as 10 days ago. They just saw no problem despite impeccable scientific and epidemiological data this was coming.
Now folks say, Not a problem in Africa, it is a conspiracy, they are playing in Mexico why do have to do like Europe/ US. Overacting and saving lives is not a bad thing and if Africa is really spared great but if not we should all that is necessary.
Apart from Olu who made an obvious joke, nobody is campaigning for the league to go on...
Meanwhile, are the people of ages packing the beaches in Florida and Georgia today conspiracy theorists?!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Gotti wrote:
kawawa wrote:Some guys on the site sound so much like Trump and his Fox new friends did as late as 10 days ago. They just saw no problem despite impeccable scientific and epidemiological data this was coming.
Apart from Olu who made an obvious joke, nobody is campaigning for the league to go on...
Meanwhile, are the people of ages packing the beaches in Florida and Georgia today conspiracy theorists?!
Maybe you might want to look again. I count four that supported continued play Olu included. I am not sure how Olu’s statement was an obvious joke...he walked it back in a later post. If it was so obvious then blame me I am just dense.

As for whether the people in Florida beaches (not sure of Georgia beaches as I have not heard of that)is part conspiracy maybe not, more likely it’s cousin, ignorance....young people on spring break who believe they will fare well even if infected. Data is now showing that 40% of hospitalizations in the US are between 20-54 year old. They are not as protected although the common myth is that younger people fare well...they may not die but getting incubated for respiratory failure is not something I wish on anyone.
Stay well brothers and let’s hope everyone does their part.