Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8015
John Obi Mikel has parted company with Turkish Super Lig side Trabzonspor after expressing his concerns about the coronavirus.

The former Nigeria international said on Saturday he was unhappy with Turkish football's decision to continue play during the COVID-19 pandemic. He's left the six-time champions by mutual consent.

According to Daniel Davis for MailOnline, the former Chelsea midfielder has given up the remainder of his deal in order to leave. The player's contract had 18 months remaining after he joined last summer.

Mikel had posted his thoughts about the pandemic on Instagram: "There is more to life than football. I do not feel comfortable and don't want to play football in this situation. Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones at this critical time. Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times."

Trabzonspor are currently top of the league and could win their first top-flight title since 1983-84. Mikel has featured in 19 Super Lig games this season, consistently starting for coach Huseyin Cimsir.

Galatasaray's Radamel Falcao supported Mikel's stance, replying to his post (h/t Goal): "You are right John. Life is more important than football."

Mikel's comments came before Sunday's league match with Istanbul Basaksehir, and he wasn't included in the squad for the 1-1 draw.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... oronavirus

_________________
Akpeyi -- Collins, TroostEkong, Omeruo, s. Atanda --- Ndidi, Mikel, Nwakaeme -- Chukwueze, Onyekuru, Osimhen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13607
Location: USA
Can’t blame him

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 5606
He made the right choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 13892
Location: Malindi-Kenya
amayen gold, amayen cocoa, amayen diamond!! so what else? :lol:

_________________
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 12142
Location: seattle
Rawlins you are are wrong person to post this

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:57 am
Posts: 6001
Location: Ajegunle
Mikel has the resources and the political clout to make a statement. Others do not.

_________________
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 25827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgSsdaMfSdk

_________________
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:08 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20320
Location: Canada
So he quits the club over this dispute? Where there any adults in the room? Someone was consumed with a 'go and die' attitude because he was concerned?

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:38 pm
Posts: 2518
Bold move by Mikel especially since Trabzonspor is currently first in the league. Will be interesting to see how the Turkish league responds especially since Mikel is a high profile player.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:23 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Posts: 5733
Location: Exile
Rawlings wrote:
John Obi Mikel has parted company with Turkish Super Lig side Trabzonspor after expressing his concerns about the coronavirus.

The former Nigeria international said on Saturday he was unhappy with Turkish football's decision to continue play during the COVID-19 pandemic. He's left the six-time champions by mutual consent.

According to Daniel Davis for MailOnline, the former Chelsea midfielder has given up the remainder of his deal in order to leave. The player's contract had 18 months remaining after he joined last summer.

Mikel had posted his thoughts about the pandemic on Instagram: "There is more to life than football. I do not feel comfortable and don't want to play football in this situation. Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones at this critical time. Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times."

Trabzonspor are currently top of the league and could win their first top-flight title since 1983-84. Mikel has featured in 19 Super Lig games this season, consistently starting for coach Huseyin Cimsir.

Galatasaray's Radamel Falcao supported Mikel's stance, replying to his post (h/t Goal): "You are right John. Life is more important than football."

Mikel's comments came before Sunday's league match with Istanbul Basaksehir, and he wasn't included in the squad for the 1-1 draw.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... oronavirus


I mean, sure, Bleacher Report is a well-known media outlet .... but if <name redacted> did not post this Mikel news, is it really credible? :)

_________________
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 32183
Mikel standing up to be counted as usual. :clap: :clap: :clap:

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 85873
Location: Earth
olu wrote:
Bold move by Mikel especially since Trabzonspor is currently first in the league. Will be interesting to see how the Turkish league responds especially since Mikel is a high profile player.

very true :clap: :clap:

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 85873
Location: Earth
felarey wrote:
So he quits the club over this dispute? Where there any adults in the room? Someone was consumed with a 'go and die' attitude because he was concerned?

seriously you really need to view things differently

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 am
Posts: 1303
Bravo. It is incomprehensible the league is playing. Great thinking on Mikel’s part


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17955
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
pajimoh wrote:
Mikel standing up to be counted as usual. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is his career in a nutshell. Always stands strong on what he believes.
SE
Chelsea
Olympic Eagles
China
Turkey

At each station he acted on believes against dictates from authorities.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 49555
...Good move, he has made enough money to pick and choose where to dance.
Those players struggling (financially) have no such power.
Saw in the news about star PSG players flew back to their home country (Brazil) because of France strict lock down rule.
Not many can afford the luxury.
Today I am staying home instead of going to a routine doctor appointment. That can wait for another day :thumb:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 85873
Location: Earth
mcal wrote:
...Good move, he has made enough money to pick and choose where to dance.
Those players struggling (financially) have no such power.
Saw in the news about star PSG players flew back to their home country (Brazil) because of France strict lock down rule.
Not many can afford the luxury.
Today I am staying home instead of going to a routine doctor appointment. That can wait for another day :thumb:

what a very uneducated comment... lets see how that money is useful to the dead when people die from a virus...my goodness, how many dead people earn money...what a daft comment

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:19 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 5606
He's done an interview.


Quote:
Mikel John Obi insists he will reject any approach to play for Trabzonspor again after walking away from the Turkish Super League side after complaining about their handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Speaking exclusively to The Athletic, the former Chelsea midfielder has revealed the extraordinary events of the last few days which have seen him cancel his contract with Trabzonspor and return to London to be with his family.
While most professional sport around the world has been postponed in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19, the Turkish Super League is still going on. Trabzonspor have not won the championship since 1984 but lead the division — albeit only ahead of Istanbul Basaksehir on goal difference — after 26 games.
Mikel wrote a post on Instagram last Friday insisting the season in Turkey “should be cancelled”, which is understood to have angered the Trabzonspor board. The player says he was ordered to attend a meeting with club president Ahmet Agaoglu, during which he claims he was instructed to take the post down. Mikel refused to delete the message.

The Nigeria international explains: “They were really upset about the whole thing. I was told to meet with the president in his office one-on-one. He asked me to take it down (the post). I told him I wasn’t going to do that. It’s my opinion. This is how I feel. We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.
“I wanted to win the league too but at this point in time, we have to think about what is more important: to save peoples’ lives.
“I want to help in any way that I can to defeat this virus. For us to be out there playing; I don’t think we are helping the global situation. I don’t feel it is right for us to play football.
“UEFA have postponed football. How come they are still playing in Turkey? It’s not right at all. But Trabzonspor were not having it — for me, they don’t care.
“I told them I wanted to go home. They said, ‘If you go home, you’re not coming back.’ I said, ‘OK, I’m going home.'”
Mikel, 32, was an unused substitute in Sunday’s 1-1 draw against Istanbul Basaksehir and then chose to walk away from his contract, worth around £35,000 a week, which still had more than a year left to run. The former Chelsea midfielder says he had already been assured an option for another 12 months was going to be triggered, which would have taken him up to 2022.
On Wednesday, he flew back from Turkey to be reunited with his partner and young twin girls, who had stayed in the family home near Chelsea’s training ground in Surrey while Mikel played in the Turkish Super League.
He adds: “I explained to the club that I needed to see and be with my kids. They were calling me every single morning, crying on the phone, wondering why their friends were not coming over for playdates, why they can’t touch anyone on the street. I didn’t feel happy every morning lying to my kids, making up stories to explain why in order to try not to make them panic (about COVID-19).
“I knew if I came home, they’d be relaxed because they’d then know daddy was home. I told the club, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re saying, I’m ready to give up my contract. To be with my family, to help the world to do the right thing — everybody needs to stay at home at this point in time’.
“I have taken a financial hit by taking this stance. It is worth every single penny, I’m telling you. To see my kids happy and fine, to know we will survive this together; the only way we can beat this is by being at home with your family, taking care of your family, your neighbour.
“When I arrived back at London Heathrow, it was amazing. My girlfriend has been panicking all week over the possibility of the UK borders being shut and me not being able to come back home, that I’d be stuck in Turkey. Just imagine if this goes on for months? I wouldn’t be able to see my kids, to help my family? God forbid anything happened to them and I wasn’t there. I wasn’t willing to make that sacrifice.
“Before we hugged, I had to come home and shower, change my clothes and everything. In Turkey, I was not tested or anything like that. I had to make sure I did the right things before touching them.”
Mikel, who won eight major trophies at Chelsea between 2006-17, joined Trabzonspor as a free agent last summer, having spent the previous two years at Tianjin Teda and Middlesbrough respectively.
He had become a key player in the Turkish side’s title challenge but had been increasingly living as a recluse in Istanbul as the coronavirus crisis intensified. Turkey had six reported cases at the time of Mikel’s post but that figure had jumped to 47 by Thursday.
He says: “I thought, ‘The more this goes on, I won’t be safe out there’. I just kept myself locked up. I went to training and then I would go back to my flat. That is basically all I did until I came home.
“I was doing so well, playing every week. The team was winning, top of the league. We were playing well. I was enjoying my football out there. We had a chance to win the league but I gave that all up to do the right thing.”
Mikel is adamant he would refuse to rejoin Trabzonspor if the club made a bid to re-sign him.
“Go back to Trabzonspor? No chance,” he says. “Not with the way they have dealt with this situation.
“We have to look at ourselves sometimes in life and ask what is more important? Who do I want to be friends with? When I’m in trouble, who is going to look after me? And, the way they have dealt with this, I don’t see myself going back to Trabzonspor again.
“I hope (there will be offers from elsewhere). I hope I will be back out on the pitch once everything is settled and everyone is back at work, everything is back to normal. I want to be out there as soon as possible. But we have to defeat this virus first.
“I am looking forward to my next chapter. I don’t know where it’s going to be. I want to be closer to home, somewhere in England maybe. But we will see what happens. The best option is where I will go.
“In the meantime, my girls will help keep me fit! I will be in the gym too and if I can, I will do some running outside.”


https://theathletic.com/1686642/2020/03 ... ronavirus/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 85873
Location: Earth
Mikel is class...Family first ...football , money etc can wait ...Turkey head no dey house, they've been playing football with this deadly virus . They've lost a worldclass player

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20320
Location: Canada
Quote:
The Nigeria international explains: “They were really upset about the whole thing. I was told to meet with the president in his office one-on-one. He asked me to take it down (the post). I told him I wasn’t going to do that. It’s my opinion. This is how I feel. We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.
“I wanted to win the league too but at this point in time, we have to think about what is more important: to save peoples’ lives.
“I want to help in any way that I can to defeat this virus. For us to be out there playing; I don’t think we are helping the global situation. I don’t feel it is right for us to play football.
“UEFA have postponed football. How come they are still playing in Turkey? It’s not right at all. But Trabzonspor were not having it — for me, they don’t care.
“I told them I wanted to go home. They said, ‘If you go home, you’re not coming back.’ I said, ‘OK, I’m going home.'”


Very poor response from the club, treating players like they're robots and property even though you invest in them is bad. Seems they didn't even try to justify their decision to continue playing, just saw him as a rented mule. The president was only seeing the $$$$ from winning the league.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 5927
Location: Here
I stand with Mikel.

_________________
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Posts: 9390
kalani JR wrote:
He's done an interview.


Quote:
Mikel John Obi insists he will reject any approach to play for Trabzonspor again after walking away from the Turkish Super League side after complaining about their handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Speaking exclusively to The Athletic, the former Chelsea midfielder has revealed the extraordinary events of the last few days which have seen him cancel his contract with Trabzonspor and return to London to be with his family.
While most professional sport around the world has been postponed in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19, the Turkish Super League is still going on. Trabzonspor have not won the championship since 1984 but lead the division — albeit only ahead of Istanbul Basaksehir on goal difference — after 26 games.
Mikel wrote a post on Instagram last Friday insisting the season in Turkey “should be cancelled”, which is understood to have angered the Trabzonspor board. The player says he was ordered to attend a meeting with club president Ahmet Agaoglu, during which he claims he was instructed to take the post down. Mikel refused to delete the message.

The Nigeria international explains: “They were really upset about the whole thing. I was told to meet with the president in his office one-on-one. He asked me to take it down (the post). I told him I wasn’t going to do that. It’s my opinion. This is how I feel. We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.
“I wanted to win the league too but at this point in time, we have to think about what is more important: to save peoples’ lives.
“I want to help in any way that I can to defeat this virus. For us to be out there playing; I don’t think we are helping the global situation. I don’t feel it is right for us to play football.
“UEFA have postponed football. How come they are still playing in Turkey? It’s not right at all. But Trabzonspor were not having it — for me, they don’t care.
“I told them I wanted to go home. They said, ‘If you go home, you’re not coming back.’ I said, ‘OK, I’m going home.'”
Mikel, 32, was an unused substitute in Sunday’s 1-1 draw against Istanbul Basaksehir and then chose to walk away from his contract, worth around £35,000 a week, which still had more than a year left to run. The former Chelsea midfielder says he had already been assured an option for another 12 months was going to be triggered, which would have taken him up to 2022.
On Wednesday, he flew back from Turkey to be reunited with his partner and young twin girls, who had stayed in the family home near Chelsea’s training ground in Surrey while Mikel played in the Turkish Super League.
He adds: “I explained to the club that I needed to see and be with my kids. They were calling me every single morning, crying on the phone, wondering why their friends were not coming over for playdates, why they can’t touch anyone on the street. I didn’t feel happy every morning lying to my kids, making up stories to explain why in order to try not to make them panic (about COVID-19).
“I knew if I came home, they’d be relaxed because they’d then know daddy was home. I told the club, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re saying, I’m ready to give up my contract. To be with my family, to help the world to do the right thing — everybody needs to stay at home at this point in time’.
“I have taken a financial hit by taking this stance. It is worth every single penny, I’m telling you. To see my kids happy and fine, to know we will survive this together; the only way we can beat this is by being at home with your family, taking care of your family, your neighbour.
“When I arrived back at London Heathrow, it was amazing. My girlfriend has been panicking all week over the possibility of the UK borders being shut and me not being able to come back home, that I’d be stuck in Turkey. Just imagine if this goes on for months? I wouldn’t be able to see my kids, to help my family? God forbid anything happened to them and I wasn’t there. I wasn’t willing to make that sacrifice.
“Before we hugged, I had to come home and shower, change my clothes and everything. In Turkey, I was not tested or anything like that. I had to make sure I did the right things before touching them.”
Mikel, who won eight major trophies at Chelsea between 2006-17, joined Trabzonspor as a free agent last summer, having spent the previous two years at Tianjin Teda and Middlesbrough respectively.
He had become a key player in the Turkish side’s title challenge but had been increasingly living as a recluse in Istanbul as the coronavirus crisis intensified. Turkey had six reported cases at the time of Mikel’s post but that figure had jumped to 47 by Thursday.
He says: “I thought, ‘The more this goes on, I won’t be safe out there’. I just kept myself locked up. I went to training and then I would go back to my flat. That is basically all I did until I came home.
“I was doing so well, playing every week. The team was winning, top of the league. We were playing well. I was enjoying my football out there. We had a chance to win the league but I gave that all up to do the right thing.”
Mikel is adamant he would refuse to rejoin Trabzonspor if the club made a bid to re-sign him.
“Go back to Trabzonspor? No chance,” he says. “Not with the way they have dealt with this situation.
“We have to look at ourselves sometimes in life and ask what is more important? Who do I want to be friends with? When I’m in trouble, who is going to look after me? And, the way they have dealt with this, I don’t see myself going back to Trabzonspor again.
“I hope (there will be offers from elsewhere). I hope I will be back out on the pitch once everything is settled and everyone is back at work, everything is back to normal. I want to be out there as soon as possible. But we have to defeat this virus first.
“I am looking forward to my next chapter. I don’t know where it’s going to be. I want to be closer to home, somewhere in England maybe. But we will see what happens. The best option is where I will go.
“In the meantime, my girls will help keep me fit! I will be in the gym too and if I can, I will do some running outside.”


https://theathletic.com/1686642/2020/03 ... ronavirus/

Mikel marry this girl now! Still referring to her as girlfriend :roll:

_________________
I am happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 85873
Location: Earth
Dammy wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
He's done an interview.


Quote:
Mikel John Obi insists he will reject any approach to play for Trabzonspor again after walking away from the Turkish Super League side after complaining about their handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Speaking exclusively to The Athletic, the former Chelsea midfielder has revealed the extraordinary events of the last few days which have seen him cancel his contract with Trabzonspor and return to London to be with his family.
While most professional sport around the world has been postponed in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19, the Turkish Super League is still going on. Trabzonspor have not won the championship since 1984 but lead the division — albeit only ahead of Istanbul Basaksehir on goal difference — after 26 games.
Mikel wrote a post on Instagram last Friday insisting the season in Turkey “should be cancelled”, which is understood to have angered the Trabzonspor board. The player says he was ordered to attend a meeting with club president Ahmet Agaoglu, during which he claims he was instructed to take the post down. Mikel refused to delete the message.

The Nigeria international explains: “They were really upset about the whole thing. I was told to meet with the president in his office one-on-one. He asked me to take it down (the post). I told him I wasn’t going to do that. It’s my opinion. This is how I feel. We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.
“I wanted to win the league too but at this point in time, we have to think about what is more important: to save peoples’ lives.
“I want to help in any way that I can to defeat this virus. For us to be out there playing; I don’t think we are helping the global situation. I don’t feel it is right for us to play football.
“UEFA have postponed football. How come they are still playing in Turkey? It’s not right at all. But Trabzonspor were not having it — for me, they don’t care.
“I told them I wanted to go home. They said, ‘If you go home, you’re not coming back.’ I said, ‘OK, I’m going home.'”
Mikel, 32, was an unused substitute in Sunday’s 1-1 draw against Istanbul Basaksehir and then chose to walk away from his contract, worth around £35,000 a week, which still had more than a year left to run. The former Chelsea midfielder says he had already been assured an option for another 12 months was going to be triggered, which would have taken him up to 2022.
On Wednesday, he flew back from Turkey to be reunited with his partner and young twin girls, who had stayed in the family home near Chelsea’s training ground in Surrey while Mikel played in the Turkish Super League.
He adds: “I explained to the club that I needed to see and be with my kids. They were calling me every single morning, crying on the phone, wondering why their friends were not coming over for playdates, why they can’t touch anyone on the street. I didn’t feel happy every morning lying to my kids, making up stories to explain why in order to try not to make them panic (about COVID-19).
“I knew if I came home, they’d be relaxed because they’d then know daddy was home. I told the club, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re saying, I’m ready to give up my contract. To be with my family, to help the world to do the right thing — everybody needs to stay at home at this point in time’.
“I have taken a financial hit by taking this stance. It is worth every single penny, I’m telling you. To see my kids happy and fine, to know we will survive this together; the only way we can beat this is by being at home with your family, taking care of your family, your neighbour.
“When I arrived back at London Heathrow, it was amazing. My girlfriend has been panicking all week over the possibility of the UK borders being shut and me not being able to come back home, that I’d be stuck in Turkey. Just imagine if this goes on for months? I wouldn’t be able to see my kids, to help my family? God forbid anything happened to them and I wasn’t there. I wasn’t willing to make that sacrifice.
“Before we hugged, I had to come home and shower, change my clothes and everything. In Turkey, I was not tested or anything like that. I had to make sure I did the right things before touching them.”
Mikel, who won eight major trophies at Chelsea between 2006-17, joined Trabzonspor as a free agent last summer, having spent the previous two years at Tianjin Teda and Middlesbrough respectively.
He had become a key player in the Turkish side’s title challenge but had been increasingly living as a recluse in Istanbul as the coronavirus crisis intensified. Turkey had six reported cases at the time of Mikel’s post but that figure had jumped to 47 by Thursday.
He says: “I thought, ‘The more this goes on, I won’t be safe out there’. I just kept myself locked up. I went to training and then I would go back to my flat. That is basically all I did until I came home.
“I was doing so well, playing every week. The team was winning, top of the league. We were playing well. I was enjoying my football out there. We had a chance to win the league but I gave that all up to do the right thing.”
Mikel is adamant he would refuse to rejoin Trabzonspor if the club made a bid to re-sign him.
“Go back to Trabzonspor? No chance,” he says. “Not with the way they have dealt with this situation.
“We have to look at ourselves sometimes in life and ask what is more important? Who do I want to be friends with? When I’m in trouble, who is going to look after me? And, the way they have dealt with this, I don’t see myself going back to Trabzonspor again.
“I hope (there will be offers from elsewhere). I hope I will be back out on the pitch once everything is settled and everyone is back at work, everything is back to normal. I want to be out there as soon as possible. But we have to defeat this virus first.
“I am looking forward to my next chapter. I don’t know where it’s going to be. I want to be closer to home, somewhere in England maybe. But we will see what happens. The best option is where I will go.
“In the meantime, my girls will help keep me fit! I will be in the gym too and if I can, I will do some running outside.”


https://theathletic.com/1686642/2020/03 ... ronavirus/

Mikel marry this girl now! Still referring to her as girlfriend :roll:

A man must trust a woman.... feminist , killed all the trust men used to have for women ...

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group