RUMORS: The reported search for Rohr's Replacement

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: RUMORS: The reported search for Rohr's Replacement

Post by fabio »

1naija wrote:
fabio wrote:
1naija wrote:I won't be surprised if Rohr never asked to stay in Europe to coach the SE. Some overzealous ITK Nigerian in the NFF probably lectured him on the proximity of his residence in France to our players all across Europe, including Russia and told him he must stay in Europe and not stay in Nigeria, and he was like uhmmm...Okay.
Pinnick signed the deal, not the overzealous ITK in the NFF.

Then it was a great deal! :taunt:
Now I know sey, you don craze finish :taunt:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

fabio wrote:
Orion wrote: If he is based in Europe then clearly he would be closer to the majority of his players. Most trips will probably be less than 2 hrs. Travelling regularly from Nigeria to monitor his players in Europe would not be feasible because it'll be too costly and too time-consuming. Watching them only on TV is not enough. Often times the coach needs to interact with these players in person.

This is clearly shooting ourselves in the foot but none of this surprises me anymore. For us to be where we are today in Nigeria, we have to be constantly self-sabotaging.
In three years, how many times has Rohr gone to monitor and visit players, when Rohr was based in Europe?
Please don't mind Orion...
Even Brazil's coach is NOT based in Europe, and it a much longer flight.
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

It appears to me that the NFF have finally realised they were nit getting value for money when you look how much was spent when they employed the late Stephen Keshi ....he won the ANC in his first attempt, qualified for the World Cup and led his rather inferior team to the second round of the World Cup all on a shoe string budget.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Flex Swift wrote:It appears to me that the NFF have finally realised they were nit getting value for money when you look how much was spent when they employed the late Stephen Keshi ....he won the ANC in his first attempt, qualified for the World Cup and led his rather inferior team to the second round of the World Cup all on a shoe string budget.
That is just one of several speculative explanations probably best suited to your thinking.
Its the same NFF that had arranged for Keshi and his team to fly home before they'd even kicked a ball in their Q/F AFCON game.
So their thinking and actions are unpredictable and forever mystifying.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:It appears to me that the NFF have finally realised they were nit getting value for money when you look how much was spent when they employed the late Stephen Keshi ....he won the ANC in his first attempt, qualified for the World Cup and led his rather inferior team to the second round of the World Cup all on a shoe string budget.
That is just one of several speculative explanations probably best suited to your thinking.
Its the same NFF that had arranged for Keshi and his team to fly home before they'd even kicked a ball in their Q/F AFCON game.
From the outside looking in: Rohr is most likely being paid several times the amount Keshi was paid. The team participated in higher profile friendly matches and in his first ANC attempt the team finished third. The team’s World Cup performance saw the team crashing out at the group stage and the feeling was the team was let down tactically in the two matches they lost. Personally I would not be upset if he left. Had the performances on the field been different I may have felt different. Even with our local coaches Nigeria got to the finals of the ANC several times.

Since Rohr has decide to stay I am indifferent (don’t think he can win the ANC and I don’t see his team going pass the group stages at the World Cup due is poor tactical plans ).
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Flex Swift wrote:
Damunk wrote:
From the outside looking in: Rohr is most likely being paid several times the amount Keshi was paid. The team participated in higher profile friendly matches and in his first ANC attempt the team finished third. The team’s World Cup performance saw the team crashing out at the group stage and the feeling was the team was let down tactically in the two matches they lost. Personally I would not be upset if he left. Had the performances on the field been different I may have felt different. Even with our local coaches Nigeria got to the finals of the ANC several times.

Since Rohr has decide to stay I am indifferent (don’t think he can win the ANC and I don’t see his team going pass the group stages at the World Cup due is poor tactical plans ).
Generally I think it is important for us not to play one coach against another. So those of us in support of Rohr are in no way denigrating the achievements of Keshi, Amodu and the rest. I just don't buy the belief that we have a God given right to win the AFCON whenever we feel like.
The game has moved on and other African countries are not sleeping.

Of course we would all be delighted if Rohr is replaced by a world class coach, be he local or foreign. But we have no chance of attracting foreigners of that calibre and there are no such local coaches within the country. Thats the simple truth.

Its a sentimental pipe dream to continue believing that somehow, some way we can find a local coach that will achieve what at the end of the day, we ALL want - and that is to win everything winnable.
The difference for example in our 2014 and 2018 WC performances was what exactly? One extra game which we 'gallantly' lost. Big deal.

Football's attraction is its unpredictability which itself is largely based on the element of 'chance' i.e. the huge luck element at play, apparently greater than in any other sport. Watch Ep 3 of Amazon's 'This Is Football'...fascinating analysis of the game. Highly recommended.

The AFCON bronze was largely down to a brilliant 90th minute free kick. Finish. If it hadn't gone in, or the ref decided against giving the FK, we might be having a different discussion today. Same with the WC. "If only Ighalo had...." if only V Moses had not...". Fate decided on split second decisions and marginal mistakes.
So making sweeping changes based on the slimmest of margins and errors is just counterproductive.

Consistency for me is the one thing Nigeria football has NOT tried or benefitted from in the last 20-25 years. We are at least trying it now and only the die-hard cynics will say we are doing badly. Rohrs record is probably turnng out to be the best of all our modern-day coaches. He has already surpassed Keshi's points tally in fewer games. But yes, he hasn't won the AFCON trophy, and that is important but not the sole metric by which success should be measured.

So why not see whether we can surpass whatever heights we have achieved in the past by trying a bit of patience and consistency for once? What is yet another change going to achieve right now but a 'BA' in deliberate self-harm?? :lol: :lol:

"Change coach! Change coach!"
To tell us who go replace, problem.
Sometimes its obvious we are our own worst enemies.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:Generally I think it is important for us not to play one coach against another. So those of us in support of Rohr are in no way denigrating the achievements of Keshi, Amodu and the rest. I just don't buy the belief that we have a God given right to win the AFCON whenever we feel like.

Of course we would all be delighted if Rohr is replaced by a world class coach, be he local or foreign. But we have no chance of attracting foreigners of that calibre and there are no such local coaches within the country. Thats the simple truth.

Its a sentimental pipe dream to continue believing that somehow, some way we can find a local coach that will achieve what at the end of the day, we ALL want - and that is to win everything winnable.

The difference for example in our 2014 and 2018 WC performances was what exactly? One extra game which we 'gallantly' lost. Big deal.

Football's attraction is its unpredictability which itself is largely based on the element of 'chance' i.e. the huge luck element at play, apparently greater than in any other sport. Watch Ep 3 of Amazon's 'This Is Football'...fascinating analysis of the game. Highly recommended.

The AFCON bronze was largely down to a brilliant 90th minute free kick. Finish. If it hadn't gone in, or the ref decided against giving the FK, we might be having a different discussion today. Same with the WC. "If only Ighalo had...." if only V Moses had not...". Fate decided on split second decisions and marginal mistakes.
So making sweeping changes based on the slimmest of margins and errors is just counterproductive.

Consistency for me is the one thing Nigeria football has NOT tried or benefitted from in the last 20-25 years. We are at least trying it now and only the die-hard cynics will say we are doing badly. Rohrs record is probably turnng out to be the best of all our modern-day coaches. He has already surpassed Keshi's points tally in fewer games. But yes, he hasn't won the AFCON trophy, and that is important but not the sole metric by which success should be measured.

So why not see whether we can surpass whatever heights we have achieved in the past by trying a bit of patience and consistency for once? What is yet another change going to achieve right now but a 'BA' in deliberate self-harm?? :lol: :lol:

The highlighted is my issue with your argument. One extra... big deal.

It´s not a big deal, it´s huge deal.

If in doubt, ask Liverpool fans about the 2018/19 when they lost (one game) and they lost the Premiership.

Or speak to New England Patriots fans about the season they lost one game... that one game was in the final.

Winning or losing one game is crucial.

Don´t reply with the used and tired line... saying it´s a league etc! Be innovative with excuses!!!

This the winning mentality....

Viv Richards didn´t lose a test match as West Indies Cricket Captain. Viv captained the West Indies in 50 matches (Yes, they lost test matches, during test series, but they never lost a Test Series).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knelrviX0io[/video]

If you can´t, win ugly.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:Generally I think it is important for us not to play one coach against another. So those of us in support of Rohr are in no way denigrating the achievements of Keshi, Amodu and the rest. I just don't buy the belief that we have a God given right to win the AFCON whenever we feel like.

If in doubt, ask Liverpool fans about the 2018/19 when they lost (one game) and they lost the Premiership.

Or speak to New England Patriots fans about the season they lost one game... that one game was in the final.

Don´t reply with the used and tired line... saying it´s a league etc! Be innovative with excuses!!!

Viv Richards didn´t lose a test match as West Indies Cricket Captain. Viv captained the West Indies in 50 matches (Yes, they lost test matches, during test series, but they never lost a Test Series).

If you can´t, win ugly.
You are talking about teams that were runners up, that's not what happened to the Super Eagles.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/52296876

so **** never even sign contract yet :D
April 2020: Three months on, Pinnick tells Arise TV that this extensive sit-down has still not happened. He reiterates more details of the contract: "We have told him he must live in Nigeria. His salary will be in Naira. He must go around the leagues and see how he can nurture the players. If he is able to accept it, we have a deal. There are a lot of coaches that want to coach Nigeria."

**** responds, telling BBC Sport Africa "I already spend most of time living and working in Nigeria."
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Did Keshi or any prior local coach pay his assistants from his salary?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Abegi, let me return to my lockdown countdown...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

kalani JR wrote:
fabio wrote:

If you can´t, win ugly.
You are talking about teams that were runners up, that's not what happened to the Super Eagles.
So being knocked out in the group stage and the 2nd round are the same thing? It doesn't matter?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

The YeyeMan wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
fabio wrote:

If you can´t, win ugly.
So being knocked out in the group stage and the 2nd round are the same thing? It doesn't matter?
In a sense yes, you didn't win but the argument that was being made wasn't mine.