Naija vs Senegal AFCON 2000

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Naija vs Senegal AFCON 2000

Post by Tobi17 »

Kai just came across a YouTube video of that match and I couldn't help but share it, I definitely remember these match with a nostalgic feeling cause there was no light back in my neighborhood back in Ibadan when it was been played... my dad had to power on the generator and the next few minutes to hours our living room was almost crowded with neighbors, my little self had to stand on the dining table to have a clear view of the game... even though I didn't really understand what the fuss was about, I definitely remember the atmosphere of tensions, hisses of frustration, shouts(curses in Yoruba are particularly not a fun thing to hear :rotf:) and yells of celebration been displayed by the people in that room... thought I should share the video since we won't be enjoying football for a while.

(abeg someone help me embed the video in full frame) :thumb:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Naija vs Senegal AFCON 2000

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tobi17 wrote:Kai just came across a YouTube video of that match and I couldn't help but share it, I definitely remember these match with a nostalgic feeling cause there was no light back in my neighborhood back in Ibadan when it was been played... my dad had to power on the generator and the next few minutes to hours our living room was almost crowded with neighbors, my little self had to stand on the dining table to have a clear view of the game... even though I didn't really understand what the fuss was about, I definitely remember the atmosphere of tensions, hisses of frustration, shouts(curses in Yoruba are particularly not a fun thing to hear :rotf:) and yells of celebration been displayed by the people in that room... thought I should share the video since we won't be enjoying football for a while.

tobi, tobi, tobi...why tell lies on CE you just turned 18 last year, you never ever watched this game live ...my goodness .. you weren't even alive
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Tobi17 wrote:Kai just came across a YouTube video of that match and I couldn't help but share it, I definitely remember these match with a nostalgic feeling cause there was no light back in my neighborhood back in Ibadan when it was been played... my dad had to power on the generator and the next few minutes to hours our living room was almost crowded with neighbors, my little self had to stand on the dining table to have a clear view of the game... even though I didn't really understand what the fuss was about, I definitely remember the atmosphere of tensions, hisses of frustration, shouts(curses in Yoruba are particularly not a fun thing to hear :rotf:) and yells of celebration been displayed by the people in that room... thought I should share the video since we won't be enjoying football for a while.

[/video]

Wha choo looking at?!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Bigpokey24 wrote:

tobi, tobi, tobi...why tell lies on CE you just turned 18 last year, you never ever watched this game live ...my goodness .. you weren't even alive

Slow Toad forgot his age and picked the wrong game to lie about. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:

[/video]
Thanks boss :thumb:, hopefully those two absolute retards who commented on the thread will be replaced with saner minds and inputs like your good self.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I remember this match like yesterday. It was not shown live on Eurosport so I had to be calling Nigeria during the match for updates. At a certain point, it seemed as if we had lost the match but we equalised and my contact in Nigeria lost his voice from celebrating the equaliser, so someone else had to update me.
Eurosport showed a delayed recording of the match and I watched it without any tension. Sweet memories!
Last edited by Dammy on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am happy
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Didn't someone pick out a charm from their goal?
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

I recalled watching the match at Tio Pepe Bar/Restaurant in Newark, NJ with fellow Cybereagles members.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote:I remember this match like yesterday. It was not shown live on Eurosport so I had to be calling Nigeria during the match for updates. At a certain point, it seemed as if we had lost the match but we equalised and my contact in Nigeria lost his voice from celebrating the equaliser, so someone else had to update me.
Eurosport showed a delayed version of the match and I watched it without any tension. Sweet memories!
I have a similar recollection although I didn't know the result so was watching the highlights on Eurosport behind my fingers. I genuinely thought we'd go out as the game ticked on and I couldn't believe it. All day I'd expected us to thrash Senegal and was stunned they had the audacity to take us within an inch of being knocked out.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Dammy wrote:I remember this match like yesterday. It was not shown live on Eurosport so I had to be calling Nigeria during the match for updates. At a certain point, it seemed as if we had lost the match but we equalised and my contact in Nigeria lost his voice from celebrating the equaliser, so someone else had to update me.
Eurosport showed a delayed version of the match and I watched it without any tension. Sweet memories!
I have a similar recollection although I didn't know the result so was watching the highlights on Eurosport behind my fingers. I genuinely thought we'd go out as the game ticked on and I couldn't believe it. All day I'd expected us to thrash Senegal and was stunned they had the audacity to take us within wan inch of being knocked out.
We all expected the SE to walk all over the Senegalese, even Eurosport quoted Senegalese newspapers as describing the game as "the mismatch of the century". They expected to be hammered.
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

If Memory serves me right: This was the game that Julius Aghahowa scored twice and there was a pitch invasion when Julius Aghahowa scored his second goal during ET, the fans believing Golden goal applied rushed onto the pitch to celebrate. The Police had to flog people off the pitch out, before the match resumed and CAF fined the NFA.

NTA showed the match live... DBN used to show delayed transmission (DBN was in existence in Lagos then, don´t know what happened to DBN).
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Man I remember that game like yesterday. Aghahowa came in as a sub and saved our behinds with two late goals. They launched some long balls to him, knowing he was as quick as an Olympic sprinter :lol: .

JAG would end up forever being one of my favourites to ever wear GWG.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

scholl wrote:Man I remember that game like yesterday. Aghahowa came in as a sub and saved our behinds with two late goals. They launched some long balls to him, knowing he was as quick as an Olympic sprinter :lol: .

Yea JAG was one of my favorite Naija players of all time. Quick Atheletic, skillfull and had an eye for goal. He saved our behinds vs Senegal in 2000 and he scored vs Senegal in that bad tempered game in 2002 which we sadly lost. Man those were memories. Epic games back then.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

bret- hart wrote:
scholl wrote:Man I remember that game like yesterday. Aghahowa came in as a sub and saved our behinds with two late goals. They launched some long balls to him, knowing he was as quick as an Olympic sprinter :lol: .

Yea JAG was one of my favorite Naija players of all time. Quick Atheletic, skillfull and had an eye for goal. He saved our behinds vs Senegal in 2000 and he scored vs Senegal in that bad tempered game in 2002 which we sadly lost. Man those were memories. Epic games back then.
That 2002 semi final in Mali was a really bad tempered match. I have never seen Finidi lose his temper like he did when Cisse slapped the back of his head. Oruma lost a penalty in the dying minutes, which could have forced extra time.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote:
bret- hart wrote:

That 2002 semi final in Mali was a really bad tempered match. I have never seen Finidi lose his temper like he did when Cisse slapped the back of his head. Oruma lost a penalty in the dying minutes, which could have forced extra time.
I remember back then some forumers were pushing Oruma over JJ until he came in and lost that PK they all silently slinked away....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote:
bret- hart wrote:

I think the game would have gone to penalties, not extra time, if Oruma had scored the penalty.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Dammy wrote:
bret- hart wrote:

I think the game would have gone to penalties, not extra time, if Oruma had scored the penalty.
Yes, penalties not extra time.
I am happy
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

the good old days, man fadiga was a baller. bless whoever recorded this on their vcr.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

shuaibu amodu allegedly infamously said "if he likes, let him score in the moon, im not calling him. (wilson oruma)
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Yes it was Oliseh (who didn't start the match due to illness, but came on late in the second half after shouting himself hoarse from the bench) that launched that pass to JAG.

Watched the tension-soaked match in a packed Hall A common room in FUTO. It was a crazy game. The Senegalese were a solid team - small wonder they avenged that loss in 2002 in another crazy tension filled match
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

john12 wrote:shuaibu amodu allegedly infamously said "if he likes, let him score in the moon, im not calling him. (wilson oruma)
Then he wept?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

to think that we sacked Amodu for losing to that classy senegal team 2 1 in 2002 and seeing what they achieve at 2002 wc is actually painful. 2020 and some people want us to make similar mistakes again
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Why did Oruma take the penalty? You would have expected a starter to take it.