Naija vs Senegal AFCON 2000

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Naija vs Senegal AFCON 2000

Post by jette1 »

2think wrote:
scholl wrote:Man I remember that game like yesterday. Aghahowa came in as a sub and saved our behinds with two late goals. They launched some long balls to him, knowing he was as quick as an Olympic sprinter :lol: .

JAG would end up forever being one of my favourites to ever wear GWG.

Yes it was Oliseh (who didn't start the match due to illness, but came on late in the second half after shouting himself hoarse from the bench) that launched that pass to JAG.

Watched the tension-soaked match in a packed Hall A common room in FUTO. It was a crazy game. The Senegalese were a solid team - small wonder they avenged that loss in 2002 in another crazy tension filled match
Tension filled match ke; na only you dey feel tension
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

maceo4 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
scholl wrote:Man I remember that game like yesterday. Aghahowa came in as a sub and saved our behinds with two late goals. They launched some long balls to him, knowing he was as quick as an Olympic sprinter :lol: .

Yea JAG was one of my favorite Naija players of all time. Quick Atheletic, skillfull and had an eye for goal. He saved our behinds vs Senegal in 2000 and he scored vs Senegal in that bad tempered game in 2002 which we sadly lost. Man those were memories. Epic games back then.
That 2002 semi final in Mali was a really bad tempered match. I have never seen Finidi lose his temper like he did when Cisse slapped the back of his head. Oruma lost a penalty in the dying minutes, which could have forced extra time.
I remember back then some forumers were pushing Oruma over JJ until he came in and lost that PK they all silently slinked away....
But nobody wanted to take the penalty, they were afraid of the backlash from the fans shd they lose the penalty. Kudos to Oruma for stepping up. Unfortunately he hit the post after sending the keeper to the wrong direction.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

iworo wrote:I recalled watching the match at Tio Pepe Bar/Restaurant in Newark, NJ with fellow Cybereagles members.
Present Sir!
Had to sneak out of work and take a cab down from Manhattan. Good times.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

john12 wrote:shuaibu amodu allegedly infamously said "if he likes, let him score in the moon, im not calling him. (wilson oruma)
That's paraphrasing without context... :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=13307
AreaDaddy wrote:Nigeria discard Oruma

Wednesday, 28 November 2001
The Nigerian Football Association (NFA) has announced that Servette FC striker Wilson Oruma will not feature in the country's squad for the 2002 African Nations Cup, which begins on 19 January in Mali.

'No commitment'
The African nation's press have called for the inclusion of Oruma and FC Lokomotiv Moscow striker James Obiorah as Nigeria's preparations for the prestigious tournament gather pace, but coach Shaibu Amodu has questioned the commitment of the Servette player. "Oruma has repeatedly turned down invitations to the national team," said Amodu. "People tell me he is scoring goals on the moon and so he should be called up. Yet people forget that he has not shown any commitment to my programme."
Last edited by Gotti on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Benedict!! No wonder we struggled upfront :mad:
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Chai... African football is tough man!
See tackles flying in and no bookings!
YNWA
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Flex Swift wrote:Benedict!! No wonder we struggled upfront :mad:
Very useless player, I think Ikpeba was benched for being the egotistical loud mouth he was.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

maceo4 wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:Benedict!! No wonder we struggled upfront :mad:
Very useless player, I think Ikpeba was benched for being the egotistical loud mouth he was.
Man... I thought I was alone in giving him a fat ‘F’ grade after the tourney. For a CF, Akwuegbu was just embarrassing. That’s was his last game in the tournament. Heck..even Ndukwe looked better, showed more urgency up front and scored the first goal, in the final against Cameroon, before JJ’s scorcher.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Jay-Jay's performance in this tournament was vert underrated.
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

jette1 wrote:
2think wrote:

Yes it was Oliseh (who didn't start the match due to illness, but came on late in the second half after shouting himself hoarse from the bench) that launched that pass to JAG.

Watched the tension-soaked match in a packed Hall A common room in FUTO. It was a crazy game. The Senegalese were a solid team - small wonder they avenged that loss in 2002 in another crazy tension filled match
Tension filled match ke; na only you dey feel tension

My bother
That Senegalese team put the fear of God in us that day - they were resolute. You can imagine a match that pushed Jay-jay to the limit (He got a RED card - probably his first for the SE). we nearly brought down that room when JAG scored the equalizer.
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The crazy thing is that the Nigerian team were heckled and booed for their performance in that game and for nearly losing to Senegal. Then 6 months later that same Senegal team beat the world champs France at the WC and got to the WC QFs.
Last edited by wiseone on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

wiseone it's simply because theres no patience. they come from.a system where one can just bribe his way out of everything in life and that has affected their judgement even in soccer. no patience, due process, faith etc they just expect fast results/miracles immediately that's why I call them DELUSIONAL
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

imagine disbanding a team in 2002 for losing to SENEGAL in 2002 and that same senegal went on to defeat france (World champions) at 2002 world cup. They also made the same mistake in 2010 sacking Amodu for losing to Ghana the same ghana went on to reach WC Quarterfinals in 2010 WC few months later. 2020 and they haven't learned from previous mistakes
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

john12 wrote:imagine disbanding a team in 2002 for losing to SENEGAL in 2002 and that same senegal went on to defeat france (World champions) at 2002 world cup. They also made the same mistake in 2010 sacking Amodu for losing to Ghana the same ghana went on to reach WC Quarterfinals in 2010 WC few months later. 2020 and they haven't learned from previous mistakes
You have to judge each case on its own merits. Amodu shouldn't have been sacked - that'll forever be a scar on the NFF. Amodu shouldn't have been sacked but that's not to say Rohr should keep his job to show lessons have been learned.

PS: I'm not saying Rohr should be sacked.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

of course, Amodu shouldn't had been sacked once let alone twice why?
1) He met his precontratual Goal. to do the same mistake Twice speak volume of Nigerian fans/nff. The same reason why Rohr should continue? He met his precontratual Goal. I have always said that when an Fa hires a coach, they should set a precontratual Goal and if that coach fails on his goal, he should be sacked or his contract shouldn't be extended. However, You cannot set a target, then when a coach meets his target, you will suggest otherwise. 1 thing for sure in this life, HISTORY always repeats itself
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

john12 wrote:of course, Amodu shouldn't had been sacked once let alone twice why?
1) He met his precontratual Goal. to do the same mistake Twice speak volume of Nigerian fans/nff. The same reason why Rohr should continue? He met his precontratual Goal. I have always said that when an Fa hires a coach, they should set a precontratual Goal and if that coach fails on his goal, he should be sacked or his contract shouldn't be extended. However, You cannot set a target, then when a coach meets his target, you will suggest otherwise. 1 thing for sure in this life, HISTORY always repeats itself
I agree.

Did Rohr meet the target he was set at the World Cup?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

The YeyeMan wrote:
john12 wrote:of course, Amodu shouldn't had been sacked once let alone twice why?
I agree.

Did Rohr meet the target he was set at the World Cup?
Which one the one to make the semi finals?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

his precontratual goal was
1) Qualify for ANC and make semi finals - met
2) Qualify for world cup - Met
All coaches, local or foreign should be treated fairly and equally. set a target, if they meet it, they should stay while if they fail to meet it, they should be sacked. simple! if rohr didn't meet his world cup goal, he would had been sacked in 2018
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

The YeyeMan wrote:
john12 wrote:imagine disbanding a team in 2002 for losing to SENEGAL in 2002 and that same senegal went on to defeat france (World champions) at 2002 world cup. They also made the same mistake in 2010 sacking Amodu for losing to Ghana the same ghana went on to reach WC Quarterfinals in 2010 WC few months later. 2020 and they haven't learned from previous mistakes
You have to judge each case on its own merits. Amodu shouldn't have been sacked - that'll forever be a scar on the NFF. Amodu shouldn't have been sacked but that's not to say Rohr should keep his job to show lessons have been learned.

PS: I'm not saying Rohr should be sacked.
Amodu should not have been sacked. Rohr should be sacked. :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

kalani JR wrote:
john12 wrote:shuaibu amodu allegedly infamously said "if he likes, let him score in the moon, im not calling him. (wilson oruma)
Then he wept?
Did Oruma wept?
he wepted
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

iworo wrote:I recalled watching the match at Tio Pepe Bar/Restaurant in Newark, NJ with fellow Cybereagles members.

Present Sir!
AFCON 2019 sweet o