Taribo's hilarious confession of why Eagles lost 98 WC clash

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Taribo's hilarious confession of why Eagles lost 98 WC clash

Post by iworo »

Taribo West's hilarious confession of why Nigeria lost 1998 World Cup clash against Denmark
By CIAN CHEESBROUGH FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 10:37 EDT, 10 April 2020 | UPDATED: 10:42 EDT, 10 April 2020

Former Nigeria defender Taribo West has revealed that some of his team-mates snuck women into their camp before their 1998 World Cup game against Denmark, and says that was to blame for their lacklustre display.

Nigeria were one of the fairytale stories of the competition in France after surprisingly topping their group with six points ahead of Spain, Bulgaria and Paraguay.

The Super Eagles were paired against the Danes for the knock-out tie and were overwhelming favourites but failed to continue their astonishing run as an abject performance saw them bow out as 4-1 losers.

Taribo West has revealed Nigeria players snuck women into their camp at the 1998 World Cup

After becoming one of the tournaments main talking points, West said players enjoyed the sudden attention they started to receive.

The former Inter and AC Milan defender, well known for his outlandish haircuts, said his team-mates were too complacent for the game and had made themselves fatigued the night before.

Brian Laudrup and co went ahead just three minutes into the tie at the Stade de France and sailed into a four goal lead, with Tijani Babangida's strike a consolation for the African side.

'I read reports about Eagles visiting nightclubs and driving limousines during the World Cup in France, honestly, I don't know about that,' Taribo told the Punch.

'But what I know is that some players sneaked women into camp, I saw that.

The Super Eagles were heavy favourites for the clash against Denmark but were beaten 4-1

West and Nigeria were a fairytale stories of 1998 World Cup after topping their group

'The women were Africans who came to watch the tournament and fell in love with our team, because of the way we played in the group stage. So, it was easy for these players to woo them to their rooms.

'That is why on match day, you could see a lot of the players didn't have the strength to curtail the Danish players.

Nigeria's popular side included stars such as former Bolton showman Jay Jay Okocha and ex Arsenal and Portsmouth striker Nwankwo Kanu.

West said his players were complacent and lack the energy to overcome the Danes

'They were tired after overworking themselves the night before with the women. I was yelling at them on the pitch, I was very angry with them. They did all these because they thought we were going to beat Denmark,' West added.

The 46-year-old, who had a brief spell in England with Derby County, now practices as a Christian pastor in his native Nigeria.

The former flamboyant defender now practices as a Christian Pastor in his native Nigeria

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nmark.html
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Real reason we lost to Denmark.

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

https://punchng.com/eagles-slept-with-w ... 98-taribo/

Na ashawo says Pastor West. Maybe so but Denmark also out coached us. It was a clinic. The game didn’t even pain me like the Italy game because they uselessed us sonfast that by half time we were laughing at ourselves. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Taribo's hilarious confession of why Eagles lost 98 WC c

Post by jette1 »

there was already a thread on this; short memories na bad thing
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Rubbish excuse. Does Taribo seriously believe the SE were the only ones enjoying extra curricular activities before games?

We got beat. Das all.

Wha choo looking at?!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Over Confidence was to blame

Prior to the Denmark game, the whole of Naija was already thinking of the game after - Brazil
  • My cousin sent me the line-up he wanted to see against Brazil.
    One Naija radio station made a request to Prez Abubakar to visit the team on July 2 (prior to the Brazil game)
    A bar in Abeokuta put out pricing for watching the Brazil game. The Denmark game was free
    Lagos times had already prepared the headline for June 29th: "It's Naija vs Brazil"
    Many Nigerians in Chicago had requested time off from work on July 3
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

na too much hair makeup for him head.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

That was the most undisciplined display by any SE team in history.
Classic case of 'inmates running the jail', with the coach merely sidelined.
TBH, I wasn't sad after that game as I was with the match in USA '94.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

That 98 team was so loaded. If they were disciplined, they could have gone for broke. That was a solid team. Average Nigerian/ African player cannot focus.. Once they're on TV, it gets into their heads....
Crazy hairstyles, interviews on Radio,TV, ...they pose as stars, stupid wrist bands, ear rings....you could tell that they'll lose it in no time
I saw their friendlies V holland , germany and Yugoslavia....saw so much promise...
The usual fights over $5K bonus....When you cd play your heart out , impress, open the door for younger compatriots and get new club contracts that'll pay you $100K/wk!
Today's generation still behave the same way....
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Was at the stadium, we were an uncoordinated mess on the day. Our players saw Denmark and thought all they needed to do was turn up. We were schooled in the rudiments of the game on the day. Football is a team sport. German hardly ever produce a Ball o Dor winner but collectively they are world beaters any day.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

The real deal wrote:That 98 team was so loaded. If they were disciplined, they could have gone for broke. That was a solid team. Average Nigerian/ African player cannot focus.. Once they're on TV, it gets into their heads....
Crazy hairstyles, interviews on Radio,TV, ...they pose as stars, stupid wrist bands, ear rings....you could tell that they'll lose it in no time
I saw their friendlies V holland , germany and Yugoslavia....saw so much promise...
The usual fights over $5K bonus....When you cd play your heart out , impress, open the door for younger compatriots and get new club contracts that'll pay you $100K/wk!
Friendlies which they lost by a combined score of 9-1? :woot: :woot: Which promise did you see dia? :lol:

Lost 1-5 to Holland, 0-3 to Yugo and 0-1 to Germany.

In retrospect that Denmark game showed their true level.

Spain let them off so many times against our comical defending. Lawal's fluke goal nko. Man, that day was our day! :thumbs:

Against Bulgaria they missed a boatload of chances, and so did the Bulgarians. Against Paraguay, they were beaten mercilessly. Ditto against Denmark.

Wha choo looking at?!
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
The real deal wrote:That 98 team was so loaded. If they were disciplined, they could have gone for broke. That was a solid team. Average Nigerian/ African player cannot focus.. Once they're on TV, it gets into their heads....
Friendlies which they lost by a combined score of 9-1? :woot: :woot: Which promise did you see dia? :lol:

Spain let them off so many times against our comical defending. Lawal's fluke goal nko. Man, that day was our day! :thumbs:

Against Bulgaria they missed a boatload of chances, and so did the Bulgarians. Against Paraguay, they were beaten mercilessly. Ditto against Denmark.
I was going to respond too. Don't know if he was watching a completely different game. I remember those games well well. Infact, what got me concerned was that the team had no shape or stayed organised. The team defense already showed vulnerability and there was never a #1 goalie who commanded the defenders, heck a retired Rufai was called to take the place of Omo Alhaja. Those lamenting Dosu's unfortunate absence should go watch Atlanta 96 games.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

scholl wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

I was going to respond too. Don't know if he was watching a completely different game. I remember those games well well. Infact, what got me concerned was that the team had no shape or stayed organised. The team defense already showed vulnerability and there was never a #1 goalie who commanded the defenders, heck a retired Rufai was called to take the place of Omo Alhaja. Those lamenting Dosu's unfortunate absence should go watch Atlanta 96 games.

The EXTREME criticism is what MAKES Nigeria what it is. There's nothing mutually EXCLUSIVE in having a BUNCH of talented potential world beaters who were JUST Indisciplined....Thats the REASON for the POTENTIAL....... The grp started with winning ANC 94, could have won 96 ( Abacha withdrew), won the Olympics...
You cd lose 6-0 but the POTENTIAL cd be there......IMHO, it was never the coaches fault. It was a "Nigerian" thing
Listen to the kind of songs the supporters club sings too " He's a miracle working God....... :scared: :curse: :rotf: "....That sums up our attitude
You have to see promise in the talent on display here, regardless of you been pissed @ them...
https://youtu.be/l-T8cu2o2QQ
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

who was the coach again?
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

The real deal wrote:
scholl wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

The EXTREME criticism is what MAKES Nigeria what it is. There's nothing mutually EXCLUSIVE in having a BUNCH of talented potential world beaters who were JUST Indisciplined....Thats the REASON for the POTENTIAL....... The grp started with winning ANC 94, could have won 96 ( Abacha withdrew), won the Olympics...
You cd lose 6-0 but the POTENTIAL cd be there......IMHO, it was never the coaches fault. It was a "Nigerian" thing
Listen to the kind of songs the supporters club sings too " He's a miracle working God....... :scared: :curse: :rotf: "....That sums up our attitude
You have to see promise in the talent on display here, regardless of you been pissed @ them...
https://youtu.be/l-T8cu2o2QQ
Well.. the miracle is in everyone’s collective hands. We are our own Orisha. Potential doesn’t mean anything when it does not get you the result. Keeping a collective code of ethics and discipline would take people further than talent and potential... cos potential is not a full on execution. Indiscipline is a trait that negates potential, so there you go. Haven't cared much for soccer in a while. Our problems, as Africans, are monumental and has manifested into the sports aren for a while now.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

That 98 team lacked discipline and were unprofessional. They failed to learn from the lessons of 1994 and instead believed in their own hype. Instead of these guys to give us the real reasons why they underachieved, they keep feeding us 1/2 truth and lies to protect their own ego.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

let him be extra brave and call the names of the Eagles that carried babes. I am sure he could be in the number..
afc##
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

chuks69 wrote:let him be extra brave and call the names of the Eagles that carried babes. I am sure he could be in the number..
Oliseh confirmed in an interview, that as SE captain, he had to chase women away from Taribo's room.
I am happy
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Over confidence.. I cried too much after the loss.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

joao wrote:That was the most undisciplined display by any SE team in history.
Classic case of 'inmates running the jail', with the coach merely sidelined.
TBH, I wasn't sad after that game as I was with the match in USA '94.
Kpom. I can't stand those group of players.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I’ve kinda resisted saying this for a few days but this thread just dey chook my eye.

I can’t speak about what happened in France, but when it comes to women and the Eagles players - while on national assignment - Taribo no dey innocent...not even close to innocent. So it’s hard for me to believe boys dey misbehave, and him no dey inside
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I’ve kinda resisted saying this for a few days but this thread just dey chook my eye.

I can’t speak about what happened in France, but when it comes to women and the Eagles players - while on national assignment - Taribo no dey innocent...not even close to innocent. So it’s hard for me to believe boys dey misbehave, and him no dey inside
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet