Corona break Stories: The day my family wept for Rangers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ahidjo2
Egg
Egg
Corona break Stories: The day my family wept for Rangers

Post by ahidjo2 »

Shobayo Adeshina’s last kick, a decisive one was all it took for tears to start flowing. It was a cool Wednesday night towards the end of the Year 1990. It was the replay of that year’s challenge cup final between two of Nigeria’s foremost soccer teams, Stationery stores of Lagos, the flaming flamingoes and the famous and the once invincible Enugu Rangers International, the Flying Antelopes. It was the first time in seven years that our darling Rangers was appearing in the final of the then challenge cup since they last won it in Lagos, beating the DIC bees of Kaduna on penalties in 1983. Previous attempts to get to the final and possibly win it, were thwarted in the semi-finals by Abiola babes in 1985 (penalties) and Ranchers Bees in 1987 (1-0). The 1985 edition presented the best chance for the indomitable flying Antelopes to reach the finals. That year, an Ikechukwu Ofoje-inspired Rangers, also parading the likes of Jude Agada, Ben Ugwu, Chris Isiadinso, Pat Okala, Mike Obi, Kingsley Onye, Fred Okpala, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Tony Orji, Kenice Chime, Mike Obi, late Emma Nwanegbo and others, succumbed painfully to an Abiola Babes squad that featured Muda Lawal, David Adiele, Taju Disu, Luis Igwilo, Toyin Ayinla, Raymond King, Friday Ekpo, Rashidi Yekini and the rest. As a young boy, it was the first time I waited for Rangers to lift a trophy as I was too young to notice or witness Rangers’ triumph two years earlier when they beat the Kaduna team to lift the trophy. It was indeed heartbreaking to see Rangers miss one of their decisive kicks to lose out to the Abeokuta side.
So, when Rangers beat BCC lions en route the final in 1990, hopes were high that it was finally the flying Antelopes’ year. The semifinal victory against a proud BCC Lions squad with the likes of Moses and Terfa Kpakor, late Amir Angwe, Ben Ugwu, Felix Pilakyaa, Bolaji Douglas, John Zaki was a sweet one considering that BCC had won the Mandela trophy that year. They qualified for this continental competition courtesy of the 1989 Aham Nwankwo-inspired challenge cup victory over Iwuanyanwu nationale. So, when Ndubisi Ajomiwe, against all odds, struck earlier in the game, beating an offside trap, many thought that an equalizer was in the offing. That was not to be as our darling Rangers held on to progress to their first ever final in 7 long years.
Alas, Rangers would or could have won the 1990’s FA cup had Austin JJ Okocha and Ogechukwu Aja waited a little longer before leaving Rangers mid-season for Europe
So, in 1990, the first game was played on Saturday at the main bowl of the national stadium in Surulere and the buildup had all the trappings of an FA cup final. Rangers fans had a field day energizing their base in and with a carnival-like atmosphere days before the historic battle. Songs like kpebe ekpere ka Rangers merie, were common. Rangers on match day, paraded the likes of keeper Victor Okoh, late Charles “Parker” Nduka, Azuka Asomugha, late Herbert Anijekwu, Akeem Ashiru, Ndubisi Ajomiwe, Ikechukwu Nwimo, Ebere Anijekwu, Dotun Alatishe, Hilary Azodo, and Emma Okocha while stationery stores had Ike Shoromnu, Ajibade Babalade, Collins “Barbwire” Ebitimi, Lati Alanamu, Shobayo Adeshina, Hamlet Eze, Mba Agbai, Ike Dominic, Taiwo Oloyede plus others. It was a keenly contested and balanced battle. The first game, televised nationally, ended scoreless. A replay was ordered for the following Wednesday. The anxiety was multiplying. The D-day came and Rangers appeared in their usual immaculate outfit.
After the energy-sapping ninety minutes, the two teams, just like they did a few days earlier, settled for another scoreless draw and proceedings had to be decided via the lottery-like and nerve-wracking penalty kicks. Emma Okocha missed his first kick for Rangers and the flying antelopes never recovered from that miss. So, when Shobayo Adeshina stepped out to take the last kick, there were lots of bended knees from supporters of both teams. It seemed God answered the prayers of the Super Stores fans. Yes, tears flowed. Our darling Rangers lost the penalty kick and lost yet another chance to win a major trophy since 1984 when an Aloy Atuegbu led Rangers won the national league. It was painful because Rangers, was at the time, worth more than Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and all top European teams put together! That’s how we felt. That’s why the whole family cried like babies!
Last edited by ahidjo2 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Corona break Stories: The day my family wept for Rangers

Post by Gotti »

ahidjo2 wrote:Shobayo Adeshina’s last kick, a decisive one was all it took for tears to start flowing. It was a cool Wednesday night towards the end of the Year 1990. It was the replay of that year’s challenge cup final between two of Nigeria’s foremost soccer teams, Stationery stores of Lagos, the flaming flamingoes and the famous and the once invincible Enugu Rangers International, the Flying Antelopes. It was the first time in seven years that our darling Rangers was appearing in the final of the then challenge cup since they last won it in Lagos, beating the DIC bees of Kaduna on penalties in 1983. Previous attempts to get to the final and possibly win it, were thwarted in the semi-finals by Abiola babes in 1985 (penalties) and Ranchers Bees in 1987 (1-0). The 1985 edition presented the best chance for the indomitable flying Antelopes to reach the finals. That year, an Ikechukwu Ofoje-inspired Rangers, also parading the likes of Jude Agada, Ben Ugwu, Chris Isiadinso, Pat Okala, Mike Obi, Kingsley Onye, Fred Okpala, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Tony Orji, Kenice Chime, Mike Obi, late Emma Nwanegbo and others, succumbed painfully to an Abiola Babes squad that featured Muda Lawal, David Adiele, Taju Disu, Luis Igwilo, Toyin Ayinla, Raymond King, Friday Ekpo, Rashidi Yekini and the rest. As a young boy, it was the first time I waited for Rangers to lift a trophy as I was too young to notice or witness Rangers’ triumph two years earlier when the beat the Kaduna team to lift the trophy. It was indeed heartbreaking to see Rangers miss one of their decisive kicks to lose out to the Abeokuta side.
So, when Rangers beat BCC lions en route the final in 1990, hopes were high that it was finally the flying Antelopes’ year. The semifinal victory against a proud BCC Lions squad with the likes of Moses and Terfa Kpakor, late Amir Angwe, Ben Ugwu, Felix Pilakyaa, Bolaji Douglas, John Zaki was a sweet one considering that BCC had won the Mandela trophy that year. They qualified for this continental competition courtesy of the 1989 Aham Nwankwo-inspired challenge cup victory over Iwuanyanwu nationale. So, when Ndubisi Ajomiwe, against all odds, struck earlier in the game, beating an offside trap, many thought that an equalizer was in the offing. That was not to be as our darling Rangers held on to progress to their first ever final in 7 long years.
Alas, Rangers would or could have won the 1990’s FA cup had Austin JJ Okocha and Ogechukwu Aja waited a little longer before leaving Rangers mid-season for Europe
So, in 1990, the first game was played on Saturday at the main bowl of the national stadium in Surulere and the buildup had all the trappings of an FA cup final. Rangers fans had a field day energizing their base in and with a carnival-like atmosphere days before the historic battle. Songs like kpebe ekpere ka Rangers merie, were common. Rangers on match day, paraded the likes of keeper Victor Okoh, late Charles “Parker” Nduka, Azuka Asomugha, late Herbert Anijekwu, Akeem Ashiru, Ndubisi Ajomiwe, Ikechukwu Nwimo, Ebere Anijekwu, Dotun Alatishe, Hilary Azodo, and Emma Okocha while stationery stores had Ike Shoromnu, Ajibade Babalade, Collins “Barbwire” Ebitimi, Lati Alanamu, Shobayo Adeshina, Hamlet Eze, Mba Agbai, Ike Dominic, Taiwo Oloyede plus others. It was a keenly contested and balanced battle. The first game, televised nationally, ended scoreless. A replay was ordered for the following Wednesday. The anxiety was multiplying. The D-day came and Rangers appeared in their usual immaculate outfit.
After the energy-sapping ninety minutes, the two teams, just like they did a few days earlier, settled for another scoreless draw and proceedings had to be decided via the lottery-like and nerve-wracking penalty kicks. Emma Okocha missed his first kick for Rangers and the flying antelopes never recovered from that miss. So, when Shobayo Adeshina stepped out to take the last kick, there were lots of bended knees from supporters of both teams. It seemed God answered the prayers of the Super Stores fans. Yes, tears flowed. Our darling Rangers lost the penalty kick and lost yet another chance to win a major trophy since 1984 when an Aloy Atuegbu led Rangers won the national league. It was painful because Rangers, was at the time, worth more than Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and all top European teams put together! That’s how we felt. That’s why the whole family cried like babies!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Corona break Stories: The day my family wept for Rangers

Post by oloye »

To be honest I had a mixed feeling with regards to this match. Here was I in the stadium a Rangers fan from youth wishing Rangers would win but those molue conductors from Oshodi market decided they were never going to lose in Lagos. It was indeed a tough game between the two, but it was one match that brought out the best in the Flaming boys, their passion and pride. Poor financially but strong when it comes to pride and honor, they fought hard and battled Rangers for every blade and every inch of the field.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho