Rohr Advocates Same System And Playing Style...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Next
Egg
Egg
Rohr Advocates Same System And Playing Style...

Post by Next »

...for all Naija National Teams.

https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2020/04/ ... e-of-play/
Coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr is advocating for an identity in the way national teams of Nigeria play which he believes will create a football culture for the country.

The coach who is presently studying the offer of a contract extension from the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) said the need to play same way will make it easy for players to progress from one level to another as they are already used to the style of play

He revealed he was already making progress with the former coach of the women team Tomas Dennerby before the coach left his role as coach. Rohr, however, said he will continue to work with all national teams to create the identity he thinks the team need in their system and style of play.

"I don't know now how the NFF will organize it but there must be a good collaboration between us with under-23, with under-20, with the under-1 - and even with the women’s team. I had a good solidarity with the women's coach before [Thomas Dennerby] but now he is gone"

"This unity [is something] we need to have in our different teams. To go in the same direction, to play with the same philosophy. The philosophy is to play offensive football with good wingers, with quickness with strikers, young players but also experienced players, too.

"We have good players, great players, young players. Now let us have football that plays well with their talent. Let us lay a good foundation from the back, and then go forward quickly to find our wingers. Then I think we have a good chance to go to the World Cup again and do better than the last time.

"We can do also the same for the local team".

"You know they are not playing the Afcon but there is a lot of things to do for them, to get right the playing philosophy the same as the others. But I am not the coach for the local team. The coach was before my assistant, and we had good work together. Now we have to see what happens."
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr Advocates Same System And Playing Style...

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Haters conference begins in 1.......2........
OCCUPY NFF!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Next wrote:...for all Naija National Teams.

Coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr is advocating for an identity in the way national teams of Nigeria play which he believes will create a football culture for the country.

The coach who is presently studying the offer of a contract extension from the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) said the need to play same way will make it easy for players to progress from one level to another as they are already used to the style of play

He revealed he was already making progress with the former coach of the women team Tomas Dennerby before the coach left his role as coach. Rohr, however, said he will continue to work with all national teams to create the identity he thinks the team need in their system and style of play.

"I don't know now how the NFF will organize it but there must be a good collaboration between us with under-23, with under-20, with the under-1 - and even with the women’s team. I had a good solidarity with the women's coach before [Thomas Dennerby] but now he is gone"

"This unity [is something] we need to have in our different teams. To go in the same direction, to play with the same philosophy. The philosophy is to play offensive football with good wingers, with quickness with strikers, young players but also experienced players, too.

"We have good players, great players, young players. Now let us have football that plays well with their talent. Let us lay a good foundation from the back, and then go forward quickly to find our wingers. Then I think we have a good chance to go to the World Cup again and do better than the last time.

"You know they are not playing the Afcon but there is a lot of things to do for them, to get right the playing philosophy the same as the others. But I am not the coach for the local team. The coach was before my assistant, and we had good work together. Now we have to see what happens."
The system Rohr is advocating for is not new to Nigerian football. Our U17 boys team have been playing like that for years. Na papa Eagles be the problem. The only time Rohr played anything similar to what he is saying was when Nigeria played Ukraine in the friendly.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

if he calls that thing he did in Egypt and world cup attacking football then his brain must be in slow motion
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

NOT ENTIRELY NEW, BECAUSE...

…a few years ago I proposed that Nigeria adopt the concept of CONSORTIUM OF COACHES. If adopted, those in charge would determine the number of coaches which could be anywhere from 8 - 15 coaches assigned to different departments. This has never been done in soccer before but it is the way American Football is run. At the time some critics, some of whom are always uncomfortable when a trailblazing idea is proposed for Nigeria, said that number of coaches would be too many but my response was these same coaches would be responsible for all the age-based teams (one set up for women and one for men). Seen that way, the number of coaches I'm proposing is not too large. Having the same coaches at all levels would result in a system where players at all levels play to the same system.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:if he calls that thing he did in Egypt and world cup attacking football then his brain must be in slow motion
:roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Good idea.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Yeah right!
So you pick boys raised on England's "kick and follow" style and you mixed dem up with Naija swagger a la Atlanta 96?

Good luck!

Cmoke
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cmoke wrote:Yeah right!
So you pick boys raised on England's "kick and follow" style and you mixed dem up with Naija swagger a la Atlanta 96?

Good luck!

Cmoke
Who plays kick and follow in the UK today apart from the lower level leagues?
That's an old perception some are refusing to discard.
If you watch youth football, esp in the black and Asian communities, you aint gon' see no kicknrush.

Even my nephew who is now in his mid twenties was always being reprimanded by his Crystal Palace youth coach back then for releasing the ball too soon. Because he had superior ball retention skills but was always trying to score from distance.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

No vex!

I would rather our pikins born in Brazil join SE than to have those UK rejects pollute our style who resort to kick and follow when their backs are to the wall!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D

Damunk wrote:

Good luck!

Cmoke
If you watch youth football, esp in the black and Asian communities, you aint gon' see no kicknrush.

Even my nephew who is now in his mid twenties was always being reprimanded by his Crystal Palace youth coach back then for releasing the ball too soon. Because he had superior ball retention skills but was always trying to score from distance.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cmoke wrote:No vex!

I would rather our pikins born in Brazil join SE than to have those UK rejects pollute our style who resort to kick and follow when their backs are to the wall!

Damunk wrote:

Good luck!

Cmoke

C'moke you've obviously got your mind made up!
"Rejects". :lol: :lol: :lol:

So... what if they are 'rejects' because they don't fit the 'kicknrush' style you are so convinced is still the England way? They have a history of that kind of 'rejection'.
Matt Le Tissier, an outrageously gifted attacking midfielder won only 8 caps for England in the 90s.
Anyone that ever saw him play (Southampton) never quite understood it.

That's why I say the word 'reject' is simply an emotive word in this kind of debate that hardly sheds light.
Brazilian 'reject' nor be reject again? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, nuttin spoil.
I'm sure you jumped for joy the day the 'rejected' Jo Aribo evaded two defenders to score against the almighty Brazil. :sneaky:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

There is already a attacking culture in the youth teams like someone pointed out earlier....

The issue with Rohr´s offensive style is: take out the wingers or the quick strikers. What next?

Tika-Tika was good (reign supreme for 4 years in international football), once a flaw was found... the rest is history.

Creating a style in itself is a good, thing. However, we should learn from the New Zealand All Blacks: “When you’re on top of your game, change your game.”
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Egbon,

It seems that you have somehow convinced yourself that Naija and England naturally play the same style of football. For that, I can't convince you otherwise.

The UK rejects include people like Jordan eyeb (as him dey call himself), who suddenly wan play for us after being rejected by UK.

Of course boys who see themselves straight up GWG like Victor Moses, Aina etc will always be invited to come on condition that they can play our style. Nothing unusual here. Top clubs don't just recruit top plays, they get top players who fit the club's playing style!

Our natural style comes out when our backs are to the wall. Go see us down 3-1 against Brazil at Atlanta 96 and us down against Italy in WC 94. I talked to Oliseh after the match and he was pretty upset with Westerhoff not letting us play our style throughout the match.

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D
Damunk wrote:
Cmoke wrote:No vex!

Damunk wrote:

Good luck!

Cmoke

C'moke you've obviously got your mind made up!
"Rejects". :lol: :lol: :lol:

So... what if they are 'rejects' because they don't fit the 'kicknrush' style you are so convinced is still the England way? They have a history of that kind of 'rejection'.
Matt Le Tissier, an outrageously gifted attacking midfielder won only 8 caps for England in the 90s.
Anyone that ever saw him play (Southampton) never quite understood it.

That's why I say the word 'reject' is simply an emotive word in this kind of debate that hardly sheds light.
Brazilian 'reject' nor be reject again? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, nuttin spoil.
I'm sure you jumped for joy the day the 'rejected' Jo Aribo evaded two defenders to score against the almighty Brazil. :sneaky:
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

jette1 wrote:if he calls that thing he did in Egypt and world cup attacking football then his brain must be in slow motion
As a manager once you’ve found a group of players that can execute what you want it becomes cleared to the spectators what your aim is,Nigeria have never let a manager get as far as proving much almost 20 manager changes in 20 years says a lot!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cmoke wrote:Egbon,

It seems that you have somehow convinced yourself that Naija and England naturally play the same style of football. For that, I can't convince you otherwise.
Boss, far from it.
I don't believe it at all.
I'm just telling you that the EPL game (and to a lesser extent The Championship) can in no way be described as 'KicknRush'
Its just a persistent patronising term used for those who for whatever reason refuse to give recognition to the quality of the English game. The visual evidence is not there and the statistics certainly aren't there to support such a claim.
But we say it anyway.

I can actually argue that the much exalted 'natural Nigerian game' is kick n rush. Not that it is, but one can see how our use of speed and the killer pass can equally be dubiously described as such. Just by way of example, our iconic and first ever WC goal v Bulgaria in '94 (Amokachi to Finidi to Yekini) is no less 'kicknrush' then any I've seen.
The UK rejects include people like Jordan eyeb (as him dey call himself), who suddenly wan play for us after being rejected by UK.
Nobody wants him. He is simply claiming (allegedly). I dont see anybody falling over themselves to get him to play for us.
Of course boys who see themselves straight up GWG like Victor Moses, Aina etc will always be invited to come on condition that they can play our style. Nothing unusual here. Top clubs don't just recruit top plays, they get top players who fit the club's playing style!
'Our style' is still an elusive definition because apart from speed and 'rapid transition', what exactly is our style?
If the talent-laden teams of '94 to '98 typified our style, then one can legitimately ask, what exactly was it and where did it get us? Were these not the same teams that were labelled 'naive', and which, from the video evidence (and despite what anyone else said), were actually knocked out from both WCs due to their 'naivety'?
Our natural style comes out when our backs are to the wall. Go see us down 3-1 against Brazil at Atlanta 96 and us down against Italy in WC 94.
Mixed bag. Don't get me wrong, I love the swarm of bees 'style' you refer to (esp the Olympic team) but one does wonder whether it would be just as effective in the WC proper.
I talked to Oliseh after the match and he was pretty upset with Westerhoff not letting us play our style throughout the match.
Well, that was just the opinion of a young distraught footballer. Needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Our defeat by Italy was unfortunate, painful but down to some silly individual errors one of which was his.
I'm not sure Westerhoff can be faulted for his approach to the game.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Oga dokita,

See as you want dissect my points like say na dead body.

Anyway, go to Navy Field,AJ City, Lagos and our natural style of playing will be showcased to you.

If you want cry again like me, go watch the tape of SE V Italy USA 94 after we fell behind to the Italians. See as we almost equalized if not for Yekini's leg wey nack the ball the wrong way. It was clear we discarded the Oyinbo way and played to our strenghts.

Jordan Eyeb etc can never be expected to dance like us, so don't expect him to play like us. Heck, I laugh when my son dances like Oyinbo man. Of course him be American boy wey grow up for white neigborhoods.

While like every Nigerian I love all our kids no matter where dem born dem, SE cannot and must not be a refuge for 3 lions rejects!'

Damunk wrote:
Cmoke wrote:Egbon,

Boss, far from it.
I don't believe it at all.
I'm just telling you that the EPL game (and to a lesser extent The Championship) can in no way be described as 'KicknRush'
Its just a persistent patronising term used for those who for whatever reason refuse to give recognition to the quality of the English game. The visual evidence is not there and the statistics certainly aren't there to support such a claim.
But we say it anyway.

I can actually argue that the much exalted 'natural Nigerian game' is kick n rush. Not that it is, but one can see how our use of speed and the killer pass can equally be dubiously described as such. Just by way of example, our iconic and first ever WC goal v Bulgaria in '94 (Amokachi to Finidi to Yekini) is no less 'kicknrush' then any I've seen.
Nobody wants him. He is simply claiming (allegedly). I dont see anybody falling over themselves to get him to play for us.
'Our style' is still an elusive definition because apart from speed and 'rapid transition', what exactly is our style?
If the talent-laden teams of '94 to '98 typified our style, then one can legitimately ask, what exactly was it and where did it get us? Were these not the same teams that were labelled 'naive', and which, from the video evidence (and despite what anyone else said), were actually knocked out from both WCs due to their 'naivety'?
Our natural style comes out when our backs are to the wall. Go see us down 3-1 against Brazil at Atlanta 96 and us down against Italy in WC 94.
Mixed bag. Don't get me wrong, I love the swarm of bees 'style' you refer to (esp the Olympic team) but one does wonder whether it would be just as effective in the WC proper.
I talked to Oliseh after the match and he was pretty upset with Westerhoff not letting us play our style throughout the match.
Well, that was just the opinion of a young distraught footballer. Needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Our defeat by Italy was unfortunate, painful but down to some silly individual errors one of which was his.
I'm not sure Westerhoff can be faulted for his approach to the game.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

highbury wrote:The system Rohr is advocating for is not new to Nigerian football. Our U17 boys team have been playing like that for years. Na papa Eagles be the problem. The only time Rohr played anything similar to what he is saying was when Nigeria played Ukraine in the friendly.
You can say that again...

But it now explains why the Super Falcons were beginning to struggle even in Africa...
Rohr is a decent coach, but he should stick to the Oldies and not 'pollute' our youth teams.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
highbury wrote:The system Rohr is advocating for is not new to Nigerian football. Our U17 boys team have been playing like that for years. Na papa Eagles be the problem. The only time Rohr played anything similar to what he is saying was when Nigeria played Ukraine in the friendly.

But it now explains why the Super Falcons were beginning to struggle even in Africa...
Rohr is a decent coach, but he should stick to the Oldies and not 'pollute' our youth teams.

Rohr is talking as if he has produced anything worth supporting. His record is not earth shattering. In fact, if Rohr was a local guy he would not even be worth a renewal given our antecedent. The fact that Nigeria is discussing a renewal is simply the fact that he is German. His record has not indicated anything earth shattering or even better than Nigeria achieved under local coaches.If he was not German, he would have long been ditched.

He better understand that he is on his last term as SE coach. Simply showing up at the World Cup will not be enough to save his job next time around. A took the team to a third place finish at the AFCON and it was derided as a golden bronze. Rohr take note!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Rohr is talking as if he has produced anything worth supporting. His record is not earth shattering. In fact, if Rohr was a local guy he would not even be worth a renewal given our antecedent. The fact that Nigeria is discussing a renewal is simply the fact that he is German. His record has not indicated anything earth shattering or even better than Nigeria achieved under local coaches.If he was not German, he would have long been ditched.

He better understand that he is on his last term as SE coach. Simply showing up at the World Cup will not be enough to save his job next time around. A took the team to a third place finish at the AFCON and it was derided as a golden bronze. Rohr take note!
I think the FC vs LC thing is really played out now.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:

If it exists then it has not been played out. If you are not aware please follow the history of Amaju Pinnick and his statements.. Here is a quote, if you are not aware: https://www.aclsports.com/4851-2/My discourse is not about what is in fashion or not but about reality. You will be more correct if you state that its form has somewhat changed but its realities are still recognizable around us. It cannot disappear by merely wishing that it does. It will disappear when the cleavages are disposed of and not before.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Uhmm where do the english naija boys play? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Damunk wrote:

Good luck!

Cmoke

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:

If it exists then it has not been played out. If you are not aware please follow the history of Amaju Pinnick and his statements.. Here is a quote, if you are not aware: https://www.aclsports.com/4851-2/My discourse is not about what is in fashion or not but about reality. You will be more correct if you state that its form has somewhat changed but its realities are still recognizable around us. It cannot disappear by merely wishing that it does. It will disappear when the cleavages are disposed of and not before.
Agreed, and I certainly wish it would disappear - as we all should.

The link you provided relates to a question of foreign and local players. To be clear I'm talking specifically about local and foreign coaches. That discussion has been played out although I did see your recent thread where you attempted to pump life into a "never-ending" FC vs LC debate which to be honest has been a dead or dying horse for a while.

It's an interesting academic exercise to compare records of foreign and local coaches but beyond that's about it. It doesn't make a material difference to the nationalities of the coaches recruited by the NFF; all coaches of different hues have had their share of embarrassing failures and successes, etc.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Agreed, and I certainly wish it would disappear - as we all should.

The link you provided relates to a question of foreign and local players. To be clear I'm talking specifically about local and foreign coaches. That discussion has been played out although I did see your recent thread where you attempted to pump life into a "never-ending" FC vs LC debate which to be honest has been a dead or dying horse for a while.

It's an interesting academic exercise to compare records of foreign and local coaches but beyond that's about it. It doesn't make a material difference to the nationalities of the coaches recruited by the NFF; all coaches of different hues have had their share of embarrassing failures and successes, etc.
The Yeyeman,

I quite agree that there is no material difference in results based on looking at that divide. Why the divide remains important is the fact that the decision makers use it to make decisions on hiring when in fact results do not support such conclusions. It is that decision makng that creates the space for the discourse.