Eagles Coach Rohr Hails FIFA's New Five-Substitute Rule

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Eagles Coach Rohr Hails FIFA's New Five-Substitute Rule

Post by iworo »

‘It is important for the spirit of a group’ – Nigeria coach Rohr welcomes five substitutes per match

The Super Eagles coach believes the new amendments to the laws of the game will give teams and coaches more room for tactical adjustments.

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has applauded the new rule which allows teams to make five substitutions in a game after the coronavirus crisis is over.

On Friday, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) announced the changes to law three of the game, which involves the players, in order to protect their welfare.

The changes include the approval of five substitutions in a match from the usual three, but they will have three opportunities to make the changes or during half-time.

The rule will apply for the 2022 World Cup qualifiers, while domestic competitions, including leagues which are due to end before December 31, 2020, will confirm if they will adopt the amendments.

In his reaction to the development, Rohr said it brings about many possibilities with more players getting involved in a match and also gives coaches room for more tactical adjustments.

“It gives us new possibilities to change during a match. We were already 18 in the national teams, there were more players on the sidelines than those who could come in, so everyone is involved,” he was quoted as saying by Girondins4ever.

“This is important for the spirit of a group, rather than just three players who can play. The coach can also change much more tactically, but also to avoid injuries.”

The Bundesliga will be the first major football competition in Europe to restart on Saturday since the coronavirus pandemic put football activities on hold in most parts of the world.

The Super Eagles coach is hoping to see the new rule in the German top-flight, and he ponders on making it permanent.

“We have a lot more possibilities, it's a very good measure. Maybe we will even keep it afterwards if that is satisfactory, we never know… The Bundesliga will serve as a test ball to see how it works," he added.

Nigeria were getting ready to host Sierra Leone for their 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match in Benin back in March before Caf suspended the fixture indefinitely due to Covid-19.

The three-time African champions are on top of Group L with six points from two games, following wins against Benin and Lesotho last year.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/nigeria-co ... 92q3xndsdb
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eagles Coach Rohr Hails FIFA's New Five-Substitute Rule

Post by vancity eagle »

With this new rule, more players will be cap tied internationally and the race for dual nationals will heat up.

Also with this new rule the importance of a full squad of quality backups is this much more important. Good thing that Rohr is already calling up our best possible players.

Imagine being able to bring on the likes of

Dessers, Simon, Ejaria, Etebo, Ejuke to bolster our efforts.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I think the new change of three player substitutions should be made permanent. I have always wondered why the limit of three has not been increased for over 30yrs (my brain might be failing me) or so.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Hope for Eye -bee? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Rohr might still wait to the 80th min to make a change. The change I will still like to see is for them to allow previously sub out players to be able to come back in if subs are still left like in basketball.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

oscar52 wrote:Rohr might still wait to the 80th min to make a change. The change I will still like to see is for them to allow previously sub out players to be able to come back in if subs are still left like in basketball.
Hmm, that's a good one also
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Odas wrote:
oscar52 wrote:Rohr might still wait to the 80th min to make a change. The change I will still like to see is for them to allow previously sub out players to be able to come back in if subs are still left like in basketball.
That’s gotta be one of the dumbest ideas ever on CE. Coaches sub players due to change of tactics, injury, tiredness or just to waste time at the end of games. Whyrahell would a coach bring back a subbed player? Jeez,... some of una sef.
OCCUPY NFF!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I hate this...and my sense is that it’ll further drive a wedge between the very best (who can afford to field 2 standard teams from a group of 22) and the rest...who can only field one
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I love it. It will be good to see more fresh players come in that can impact a game. With the initial games in which the 5 subs rule is implemented the flow of the games may be interrupted a bit with a few more substitutions, but teams should adapt and gain from additional substitutions very quickly.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

olu wrote:I love it. It will be good to see more fresh players come in that can impact a game. With the initial games in which the 5 subs rule is implemented the flow of the games may be interrupted a bit with a few more substitutions, but teams should adapt and gain from additional substitutions very quickly.
If you're the likes of Man City that can bring in top 5 players from the bench, great. But if you're the likes of Bournemouth, where 5 subs from the bench probably weakens your first 11, then not so great
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

pajimoh wrote:
olu wrote:I love it. It will be good to see more fresh players come in that can impact a game. With the initial games in which the 5 subs rule is implemented the flow of the games may be interrupted a bit with a few more substitutions, but teams should adapt and gain from additional substitutions very quickly.
If you're the likes of Man City that can bring in top 5 players from the bench, great. But if you're the likes of Bournemouth, where 5 subs from the bench probably weakens your first 11, then not so great
Yep.

Smaller countries/teams should be exerting influence on FIFA to steer them away from these kind of changes. I fail to see how it will benefit any team outside the top 10%.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

He is make his sub in the

80th

83th

85th

90th

and reserve the last one in case his GK get injured.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

I dont like this rule.
It will massively favor top star studded teams to beat you up with quality sledge hammer substitutes.
Imagine playing against Brazil or Argentina and they unleash their substitutes against you while your starters are already tired and you know your subs are junk compared to theirs!

Cmoke
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't think the proposed change will stop him from holding unto subs.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

fabio wrote:He is make his sub in the

80th

83th

85th

90th

:biggrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The changes include the approval of five substitutions in a match from the usual three, but they will have three opportunities to make the changes or during half-time.
You're funny :lol:, but your're right about Rohr's scared late substitutions. The above four substitution times is not possible though with the new rule. He has only three opportunities to make the changes or during half-time.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cmoke wrote:I dont like this rule.
It will massively favor top star studded teams to beat you up with quality sledge hammer substitutes.
Imagine playing against Brazil or Argentina and they unleash their substitutes against you while your starters are already tired and you know your subs are junk compared to theirs!

Cmoke
I agree somewhat with the sentiment but this already is effect as is with 3 subs. Will adding 2 more make that much more of a difference ?

This will definitely help Nigeria in African competitions.

I kind of like it. More players will be involved, rather than just sitting on the bench. With all the options we have now it will be good to see more of them involved.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

fabio wrote:He is make his sub in the

80th

83th

85th

90th

:taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

My broda,

Na only world cup I worry about.

Team dept, fatigues and injuries are pretty important in a tournament. Looking back at our SE team to Russia, how many "A" list players did we have compared to Argentina?

Even Africa sef. We may have big names, but those physically fit, young African based boys may run our fatigued Europe based boys down especially if they can now hit us with 5 fresh legs! I no like am at all!

Cmoke

vancity eagle wrote:

Cmoke
I agree somewhat with the sentiment but this already is effect as is with 3 subs. Will adding 2 more make that much more of a difference ?

This will definitely help Nigeria in African competitions.

I kind of like it. More players will be involved, rather than just sitting on the bench. With all the options we have now it will be good to see more of them involved.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

I had to rush in here to see the late sub comments.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...with time football will evolve to unlimited substitution.
I have called for this 3 sub-only change many times, and for a red carded player to be replaced but fined heavily for his offense, match ban and money, or point reduction.
Some matches are not worth watching after a team go a man or 2 down.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Cmoke
...then start training your starters better.
If your starters are that back, can't stand bench warmer/substitutes, then you don't belong in same league/tournament :laugh:
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Odas wrote:
That’s gotta be one of the dumbest ideas ever on CE. Coaches sub players due to change of tactics, injury, tiredness or just to waste time at the end of games. Whyrahell would a coach bring back a subbed player? Jeez,... some of una sef.
Umm it makes the game more tactical like a games of chess. A player might not be effective earlier but maybe the person bossing him on the field has now been injured and substituted and you reintroduce him like in extra time to run the new guy ragged. Coaches can sometime made a sub as well they think will improve the team but makes it worse and they want to correct their error before the game is out of reach ....like in basketball.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Old boy,

You seem not to get it. It is bad enough that we have to play those top teams. But why change the rules to favor the top teams?

Not fair!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D
mcal wrote:

Cmoke
...then start training your starters better.
If your starters are that back, can't stand bench warmer/substitutes, then you don't belong in same league/tournament :laugh: