[Deconstructing our WC losses] - Nigeria- Croatia

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [Deconstructing our WC losses] - Nigeria- Croatia

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:Could Mikel and Iwobi have done better?

Start from 1:50 (Mikel) of the video and 2:41 (Iwobi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzceTQDA-MI[/video]

Still can't believe we lost to Croatia. I confess I was expecting minimum of a 1-1 draw in this match.

Was in the stadium for that game and I remember a more evenly matched game than the score betrays. I have always differed with the consensus that came out of that game and just didn’t see this famed dominance from Modric in the middle.
Ah, I've watched this game multiple times, I saw no such dominance, rather mistakes (set pieces) killed us just like Mikel said at the press conference after. Was a boring cagey game in fact with both teams having half chances.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Croatia had more talent and was better coached so not surprised they won. That being said it was a game we could have won. Croatia neutralized our most dangerous player Moses by stacking 2 or 3 players on his side when he had the ball in an advanced position. Rohr also didn't help himself by playing Mikel as a 10 and playing 2 FBs that were limited going forward.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
deanotito wrote:

Still can't believe we lost to Croatia. I confess I was expecting minimum of a 1-1 draw in this match.

Was in the stadium for that game and I remember a more evenly matched game than the score betrays. I have always differed with the consensus that came out of that game and just didn’t see this famed dominance from Modric in the middle.
:clap: :clap: . How did you resist the urge to come down from your seat and slap Victor Moses after the nonsense exhibited @ 6:09 of the clip?
Honestly, the feeling was more one of hurt than anger.
You guys sef wetin Moses do una, even in these highlights he’s the only one trying to do anything positive for SE. Some of his diving was annoying but they were also targeting him knowing he’s our only real attacking threat.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ahidjo2 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Damunk wrote:Just looking at our lineup for this game v Croatia tells me that our current team is so much better.

We simply need to continue to build up team confidence ahead of Qatar 2022.
I believe many of our defeats in past World Cups have been down to a lack of self-belief.
It can do wonders if its there.

Looking back at this game now, it wasn't as one-sided as it felt at the time and even now many people are still talking as if we were totally outplayed.
I don't see how.
This loss really hurt because I truly believed we matched up very well against Croatia. They only had one shot on goal all game against us and that was their penalty! They were there to be taken but we did not have the weapons to hurt them.

I agree with the self belief thing. If we had gotten something out of this game, who knows what might have happened?
Only one shot on goal? Did you even count the number of shots taken in this 9 min video?
'Shots on goal' really means 'shots on target', otherwise any 'ABF' shots whizzing over to the corner flag by GPS-challenged strikers will be regarded as 'shots on goal'. :D

Oga Scipio is absolutely right.
You now me, I like to verify. So I did.

The nine minute video you refer to creates an illusion, but the Croatians had only ONE SHOT ON GOAL (i.e. on target) and that was a very lame 'shot' at 3:42

There were 6 other 'shots' in the first half (including headers), all off target and which Uzoho didn't have to touch: Their goal sef was heading off target until Etebo deflected the ball into the net:
2:15, 2:32, 3:54, 4:05 (deflected goal), 5:06, 5:24,

In the second half they had another4 shots, all off target apart from the penalty:
6:20, 6:46, 7:35, 8:30 (pen)

So Uzoho made just one save (it was more a pick up from the lame first half shot) and for the rest of the match was simply jumping and occasionally diving just to cover his goal.

Don't take my word for it. You can check yourself. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Nightmarish :scared:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I would dare say the current crop of players we have would have beaten Croatia... a team with Mikel, Ighalo, and a very direct but one dimensional player like Moses just seemed too slow for the fast breaks and counter attacking football France used as a template to beat Croatia in the final. A more energetic midfield of Aribo, Iwobi, Ndidi, Etebo with Osimhen, Chukwueze, Kalu would have stretched out the Croatian defence better and exploited the spaces better in I h speed and skill.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Damunk wrote:Just looking at our lineup for this game v Croatia tells me that our current team is so much better.

I believe many of our defeats in past World Cups have been down to a lack of self-belief.

Looking back at this game now, it wasn't as one-sided as it felt at the time and even now many people are still talking as if we were totally outplayed.
I don't see how.
We can build and build and build the greatest team ever! With a poor coach, you cant win anything.
Have you applied for the job yet?
Please now, apply. :D
:lol: :lol:

Bro, I am not interested in coaching Nigeria or any other team. I am very happy with the career I chose and what I am presently doing. If I wanted to be a coach, i'd have made it happen and I'd have been coaching one of the top teams in Europe by now. Not interested.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

niyi wrote:This was a cowardly game plan by Rohr. His tactic was to present our yansh covered by granny panties to the Croatians in hopes that said underwear would distract them

Those who know, know!

The man is very limited. I made my position clear and yet the NFF stuck with him, so I accept. Truth is that with a coach like that, it will be very very very hard to win. We will need luck, because as good as we will be, there will be other very good teams. What will separate the teams will be tactics.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote:
niyi wrote:This was a cowardly game plan by Rohr. His tactic was to present our yansh covered by granny panties to the Croatians in hopes that said underwear would distract them

Those who know, know!

The man is very limited. I made my position clear and yet the NFF stuck with him, so I accept. Truth is that with a coach like that, it will be very very very hard to win. We will need luck, because as good as we will be, there will be other very good teams. What will separate the teams will be tactics.
Just curious.
Are you ready to eat humble pie if it comes to it?
And if so, how will you do it?
Because it is never good to dig yourself into an entrenched position based on subjectivity.

We both want the same thing.
Our difference is that you see and have always seen zero possibility of our SE achieving anything under Rohr.
I see a steady improvement and the team eventually surpassing whatever peak we've achieved in the past.
Both are subjective views.

But it means one of us at some point is going to have to concede that they got it wrong.
No shame, no fight.
Because as we all know, ''da's fu'ball". :idea:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote:
Damunk wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I don't see how.
We can build and build and build the greatest team ever! With a poor coach, you cant win anything.

Bro, I am not interested in coaching Nigeria or any other team. I am very happy with the career I chose and what I am presently doing. If I wanted to be a coach, i'd have made it happen and I'd have been coaching one of the top teams in Europe by now. Not interested.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: and if I wanted to be president of the United States, I would have walked into the white house and demanded my due recognition.
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

The Croatian goals came from worked Corner kicks for the first, the second they got the Pk from the floated corner.. If you watched the Super Eagles friendly against Czech, which they lost 1-0, the goal was conceeded via corner kick. so the Croatian coach spies watched the game and decided to exploit this strength against Nigeria.. Rohr should perhaps sort this issue out, the Corner kick achielle hills has been on the decline, perhaps we have been playing African oppositions only..
afc##
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote:Just curious.
Because it is never good to dig yourself into an entrenched position based on subjectivity.

Our difference is that you see and have always seen zero possibility of our SE achieving anything under Rohr.
This is untrue. I supported **** for the first 1 year and a half of his tenure, until I saw him at tournaments and realized how limited he is. How poor he is at reading games and how much of a coward he is. I smelled trouble and I still smell trouble.

Considering Nigeria is the only team I support and I cant fall back on a chosen European club, I believe it is my right to question the coach of my team and publicly announce my fears.

I am very comfortable with my comments being tagged in the future.
I see a steady improvement and the team eventually surpassing whatever peak we've achieved in the past.

But it means one of us at some point is going to have to concede that they got it wrong.
No shame, no fight.
I hope and pray that person is me!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Damunk wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I don't see how.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: and if I wanted to be president of the United States, I would have walked into the white house and demanded my due recognition.
The difference between you and I is that (1) I have always worked very hard for everything I wanted, (2) had parents who sent me to the best schools to gain the best education (3) positioned my self to be the best in my chosen field and MOST IMPORTANTLY, (4) rose to the top in my chosen filed.

Trust me, you and I are very different. while you see impossibility in your life and continue to flounder as an average person, i see possibility and I demand the best or nothing! I repeat, if I chose to be a coach, rather than my present career, I'd have worked hard at it, my parents would have sent me to the best programs and linked me up with the best clubs, I'd have obtained the top licenses, I'd have positioned myself to achieve the best and I'd be one of the top coaches in Europe.

If you are a natural born American, you will never be President because first of all, its clear you do not even think its possible.

There are winners and there are losers! :wink:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

chuks69 wrote:The Croatian goals came from worked Corner kicks for the first, the second they got the Pk from the floated corner.. If you watched the Super Eagles friendly against Czech, which they lost 1-0, the goal was conceeded via corner kick. so the Croatian coach spies watched the game and decided to exploit this strength against Nigeria.. Rohr should perhaps sort this issue out, the Corner kick achielle hills has been on the decline, perhaps we have been playing African oppositions only..
I guess, but don’t know how you can avoid an unlucky own goal, the PK was an individual error a rugby tackle.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
deanotito wrote:

:clap: :clap: . How did you resist the urge to come down from your seat and slap Victor Moses after the nonsense exhibited @ 6:09 of the clip?
You guys sef wetin Moses do una, even in these highlights he’s the only one trying to do anything positive for SE. Some of his diving was annoying but they were also targeting him knowing he’s our only real attacking threat.
He is part of a team. Watch from 6:09 where Moses had 3(Three!) open teammates and decided to go all Jordan Ayew. Simply unforgivable at this level! Even the normally chilled Iwobi, who was WIDDDDEEEEEEE open, is furious with him.

Kai! I will take a good decision maker on the field above all else.

Wha choo looking at?!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Have watched the game severally since the WC..

The defensive shape was not quite right esp in 1HF.

But nothing disappointing as the performance of our wide players, Moses and Iwobi...

Not in work rate, not in tactical understanding of their positioning, not in their ability to run at an ageing Croatian defence; nothing!!!

Add to that the nonsensical idea of Mikel in the #10 position.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote:
Damunk wrote:Just curious.

This is untrue. I supported **** for the first 1 year and a half of his tenure, until I saw him at tournaments and realized how limited he is. How poor he is at reading games and how much of a coward he is. I smelled trouble and I still smell trouble.

Considering Nigeria is the only team I support and I cant fall back on a chosen European club, I believe it is my right to question the coach of my team and publicly announce my fears.

I am very comfortable with my comments being tagged in the future.

No shame, no fight.
I hope and pray that person is me!
:thumb:
Much respect then.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Damunk wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I don't see how.

The difference between you and I is that (1) I have always worked very hard for everything I wanted, (2) had parents who sent me to the best schools to gain the best education (3) positioned my self to be the best in my chosen field and MOST IMPORTANTLY, (4) rose to the top in my chosen filed.

Trust me, you and I are very different. while you see impossibility in your life and continue to flounder as an average person, i see possibility and I demand the best or nothing! I repeat, if I chose to be a coach, rather than my present career, I'd have worked hard at it, my parents would have sent me to the best programs and linked me up with the best clubs, I'd have obtained the top licenses, I'd have positioned myself to achieve the best and I'd be one of the top coaches in Europe.

If you are a natural born American, you will never be President because first of all, its clear you do not even think its possible.

Bros you talk too much, I'm not interested in your life story and you don't know me for a start, so the long tales are inconsequential to me. But for context I'm just 25, a practicing pharmacist with my own business and brand both here and in Nigeria. All these I accomplished without a dint of contribution from my parents or anyone for that matter even while dealing with a serious ailment, so pipe low, learn to STFU sometimes and stop boring us with your long winding albeit not-so-scintillating noise.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Damunk wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I don't see how.

Bros you talk too much, I'm not interested in your life story and you don't know me for a start, so the long tales are inconsequential to me. But for context I'm just 25, a practicing pharmacist with my own business and brand both here and in Nigeria. All these I accomplished without a dint of contribution from my parents or anyone for that matter even while dealing with a serious ailment, so pipe low, learn to STFU sometimes and stop boring us with your long winding albeit not-so-scintillating noise.

For a boy that lacks training, its no surprise you were abandoned.

When you are done daydreaming about your phantom chemist "here" and Nigeria, let us know.

there are winners and there are abandoned losers! :lol:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Danfo driver,

abandoned.

When you are done daydreaming about your phantom chemist "here" and Nigeria, let us know.

there are winners and there are abandoned losers! :lol:[/quote]

Bitter old man, despite coming from a privileged family I didn't have to depend on pupsy and mumsy for money. I saw myself through college on scholarship (I'm the winner here, you pathetic piece of waste). I didn't have to depend on dad's wealth to rise to my position in life. He instilled the virtues of hard work and self-assurance in me enough build my own empire (I'm the winner). What were you doing with your f**king life at 25? Oh let me guess, groveling to the grace and strings of your parents to amount to anything useful in life (which judging by all accounts didn't work out so well). I've said said you're mentally challenged, imagine shamelessly going back and forth with someone probably half your age? I spit on the type of family you will raise. Last last you won't live long to see 50. Grumpy old insecure loser with an accursed lineage, na your unfortunate children I dey even pity pass for having to look up to a *kindperson* like you as a role model, I go finish you for three forum till you gather sense by force. Shameless old traunt, oniranu oshi :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote: Bitter old man
how dare you call me a bitter old man! Young bobo like me, wey still dey wear neck chain, spalding canvas, true religion jeans and face cap! eh??!! eh??!! eh??!! :veryangry: :lol: :lol:

#abandoned!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote:
Tobi17 wrote: Bitter old man
how dare you call me a bitter old man! Young bobo like me, wey still dey wear neck chain, spalding canvas, true religion jeans and face cap! eh??!! eh??!! eh??!! :veryangry: :lol: :lol:

#abandoned!
Yet shall boys dey nyansh your madam, I get your file oooo :taunt: :taunt:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
deanotito wrote:

He is part of a team. Watch from 6:09 where Moses had 3(Three!) open teammates and decided to go all Jordan Ayew. Simply unforgivable at this level! Even the normally chilled Iwobi, who was WIDDDDEEEEEEE open, is furious with him.

Kai! I will take a good decision maker on the field above all else.
Yea but everyone else has selfish moments as well, however he was the only one that could get any penetration and he scored the equalizer...
Super Eagus 4 Life!