Obasi: I missed the WC in 2014 b/c of bribery

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Obasi: I missed the WC in 2014 b/c of bribery

Post by cic old boy »

Traitors sabotaging Nigeria since the year dot.
‘I felt heartbroken’ – Nigeria's Obasi on missing 2014 World Cup for not paying bribe
Taiye Taiwo

The 33-year-old recalled how he was dropped from the Super Eagles squad for the competition in Brazil because he did not give authorities money

Nigeria striker Chinedu Obasi said he was sad and heartbroken after he was dropped from the country’s team for the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil because he refused to pay a bribe.

The former Schalke 04 star recalled how he was denied selection for his second World Cup tournament after his fine outing with the Bundesliga outfit in the 2013-14 season.

Obasi was part of the Nigeria U-20 squad that finished second at the Fifa World Youth Championship in 2005, scoring the country's only goal in their 2-1 loss to Lionel Messi's Argentina.

The Enugu-born forward stated how an injury in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa cost him a move to England and how a request for a bribe came as a disappointment for him.

”I was playing for Schalke, I was playing in the Champions League and I was doing well. Two days before the list came out, I was asked to pay some money if I want to be in the team,” Obasi said in an Instagram Live.

“I felt like I’ve paid my dues for the country, I shouldn’t do this. If I was a young player, maybe I would have done that, but it was a bit personal for me and I felt very heartbroken. I was supposed to move from Hoffeinheim to England and I got injured playing for Nigeria at the World Cup [in South Africa].

“After that competition, nobody called me to know how I am doing. I spent a lot of money to get fit. All people talked about was the injury. They don’t care to know what I went through on a daily basis making sure I get my body in shape, to stay healthy.

“It takes a lot of dedication, money, investing in myself and my body. I went through surgery, did everything I can. Now a competition is coming up, you’re inviting me to the national team. I’ve exhausted my own money and you want me to pay, which is a slap in the face for me.

“I said I’m not comfortable doing that. They said I should know the system, and I should act like I’m a Nigerian. I said it’s not about being a Nigerian but doing the right thing.”

Nigeria advanced from the group stage of the quadrennial football showpiece in 2014 after securing a draw against Iran and win against Bosnia-Herzegovina, but they were knocked out by France after a 2-0 defeat in the Round of 16.

Obasi, scorer of four goals in 26 outings for the Super Eagles, has not played for the national team since 2011 after a friendly game against Argentina in Bangladesh, where he scored a goal in their 3-1 loss.

“I’ve kept it close to my chest since 2014 because you’d have unnecessary enemies when you talk. People who played in lower leagues went to that World Cup. I’m not taking a jab at anyone,” he continued.

“If you’re good for the World Cup, then you should go, but I feel like if you have to take the best and at the time, I was playing for a top team, Schalke 04 which was among the top team in Europe at the time.

“Funny enough, after the conversation, it got a bit more personal. They told me that even if I end up going as part of the team, their own agent will negotiate that deal. I said it doesn't sound good to me."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/i-felt-hea ... i63oy9g76k
http://www.naijiant.com/
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Obasi: I missed the WC in 2014 b/c of bribery

Post by The YeyeMan »

Obasi, scorer of four goals in 26 outings for the Super Eagles, has not played for the national team since 2011 after a friendly game against Argentina in Bangladesh, where he scored a goal in their 3-1 loss.
Questionable whether he deserved to go given he hadn't played three years prior to the WC - he wasn't exactly dropped as he wasn't really in contention.

But I have little doubt he was asked to 'drop' if he wanted to be in consideration for a WC place.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

This is what he said on learning he'd been dropped in May 2014.
Tallies with what he is saying now.
You can read our reaction on CE at the time to his comments.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

If he's referring to the 2014 world cup, it honestly wouldn't suprise me if the allegation is true. Keshi made about 5 or 6 questionable selections to the 2014 squad. That being said, Obasi struggled with injuries throughout his career, so he may have been dropped due to fitness concerns.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

When I told you all back then Keshi is the most corrupt coach SE have ever had since I was a fan (1994) I was viciously attacked. I also told you that despite winning 2013 ANC, SE would suffer in the long term because of his criminal actions. We then missed 2 ANCS in a row because of his corruption. This is a man who embarrassed us at the Co federation cup by taking Gambo Rambo, who gave some joker our #10 Jersey. He even had to be dragged to take Odemwingie to Brazil.

Now those days are long gone and we have stability and merit based selection and we have saboteurs waiting with daggers to destroy the wonderful foundation Rohr is building so we can go back to brown envelope SE.

God forbid.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote:When I told you all back then Keshi is the most corrupt coach SE have ever had since I was a fan (1994) I was viciously attacked. I also told you that despite winning 2013 ANC, SE would suffer in the long term because of his criminal actions. We then missed 2 ANCS in a row because of his corruption. This is a man who embarrassed us at the Co federation cup by taking Gambo Rambo, who gave some joker our #10 Jersey. He even had to be dragged to take Odemwingie to Brazil.

Now those days are long gone and we have stability and merit based selection and we have saboteurs waiting with daggers to destroy the wonderful foundation Rohr is building so we can go back to brown envelope SE.

God forbid.
This is personal for you. You clearly know someone close to the NFF who fed you this information. That person was certainly not a Keshi's fan. I actually know who you are.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:When I told you all back then Keshi is the most corrupt coach SE have ever had since I was a fan (1994) I was viciously attacked. I also told you that despite winning 2013 ANC, SE would suffer in the long term because of his criminal actions. We then missed 2 ANCS in a row because of his corruption. This is a man who embarrassed us at the Co federation cup by taking Gambo Rambo, who gave some joker our #10 Jersey. He even had to be dragged to take Odemwingie to Brazil.

God forbid.
Brown Ideye, Amokachi the assistant coach of the squad have also made similar allegations. Emmanuel Sarki said he was asked for a bribe in 2013 to play for the SE.
The Sports Minister, Sunday Dare, has promised to set up a Sports Ombudsman to look into the allegations.
I am happy
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

God forbid.
Just ensure that your 'merit based selection' deliver a trophy.

We saw what Vogts 'merit based selection' did until Ezeala and Ayoakinfe fight blew everything into the open.

Dont worry, Rohr 'merit based selection' and the 'agency' business will unravel later.

Shame on those speaking when the accused is not available to defend himself.

I hope Obasi 'exploits' after the WC was enough to convince everyone why he was sorely missed :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

The 2014 world cup list didn't make much sense. Its not a stretch to think that Keshi took bribes...and Amokachi and Colin Udoh have indirectly said it too.

The entry of Babatunde Michael and Uchebo ...seemingly from nowhere and with no credible club performances to back things up was just bizarre.

The team suffered from a lack of depth...and you could have partially salved that problem with the likes of Obasi, Martins, Sone Aluko etc. But when we needed help, all we had was Uchebo.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:

God forbid.

We saw what Vogts 'merit based selection' did until Ezeala and Ayoakinfe fight blew everything into the open.

Dont worry, Rohr 'merit based selection' and the 'agency' business will unravel later.
I hope you will be man enough to come out at some point to say you were wrong IF there is no such expose. Just like we that believe the current selections are merit based (if that is your point) will gladly do the same if proven wrong.
As for the 'agency' business, I'm not sure you're saying agents and agencies are inherently bad, or that you just don't like the 'agent' Rohr has decided to use and pay for with his own money.
A clarification would be helpful.
In all fairness (and with all due respect to Keshi) these accusations were swirling around long before his unfortunate demise and long before he made his appearance in Brazil for the WC.
Nor be today.
And by the way, just in case you don't know, I was one of those that willingly gave Keshi the benefit of the doubt and challenged the veracity of all those allegations. So I'm no Keshi hater.
I hope Obasi 'exploits' after the WC was enough to convince everyone why he was sorely missed :taunt:
Uhm....just like the exploits of Uchebo, Gabriel, Odunlami and too many more to mention who all subsequently rose to great heights. :lol:
So again, that point is neither here nor there Chief.
No vex.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

God forbid.

I hope you will be man enough to come out at some point to say you were wrong IF there is no such expose. Just like we that believe the current selections are merit based (if that is your point) will gladly do the same if proven wrong.
As for the 'agency' business, I'm not sure you're saying agents and agencies are inherently bad, or that you just don't like the 'agent' Rohr has decided to use and pay for with his own money.
In all fairness (and with all due respect to Keshi) these accusations were swirling around long before his unfortunate demise and long before he made his appearance in Brazil for the WC.
Nor be today.
And by the way, just in case you don't know, I was one of those that willingly gave Keshi the benefit of the doubt and challenged the veracity of all those allegations. So I'm no Keshi hater.
Uhm....just like the exploits of Uchebo, Gabriel, Odunlami and too many more to mention who all subsequently rose to great heights. :lol:
No vex.
We already know about Agent Adelakun the 'chief scout' for Rohr! Of course as Oyinbo na Oyinbo NOTHING is wrong with it. It is all MERIT based. The agent who got you the job is now the chief scout that you are paying from your salary. Was that the 'payment' for getting you the job? Hmmm.

Yes the merit based is yet to deliver a trophy nor 2nd round WC outing! We will wait for his 2nd attempt. That time there will be no excuse.

Obasi never mentioned BRIBE in his previous allegation. Unfortunately the accused is not alive to respond to the accusation. It is not unlikely that people asked Obasi for money to get him into the team. We have TOUTS all over. We saw the AYOAKINFE and Emeka Ezeala saga. However, there is NOTHING to show that Obasi would have made any difference.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

God forbid.

Nor be today.
No vex.
We already know about Agent Adelakun the 'chief scout' for Rohr! Of course as Oyinbo na Oyinbo NOTHING is wrong with it. It is all MERIT based. The agent who got you the job is now the chief scout that you are paying from your salary. Was that the 'payment' for getting you the job? Hmmm.

Yes the merit based is yet to deliver a trophy nor 2nd round WC outing! We will wait for his 2nd attempt. That time there will be no excuse.

Obasi never mentioned BRIBE in his previous allegation. Unfortunately the accused is not alive to respond to the accusation. It is not unlikely that people asked Obasi for money to get him into the team. We have TOUTS all over. We saw the AYOAKINFE and Emeka Ezeala saga. However, there is NOTHING to show that Obasi would have made any difference.

Not sure I understand your point wrt Adelakun.

Coaches appoint their own scouts ALL the time and pay for them. If you consider him unqualified for the position, let us know why you think so.

If you consider his scouting to be sub standard, let us know why/how...

It seems that you are forever mired to the past and a desire to find equivalencies and it is making you reach...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:I hope you will be man enough to come out at some point to say you were wrong IF there is no such expose. Just like we that believe the current selections are merit based (if that is your point) will gladly do the same if proven wrong.
Nor be today.
No vex.
It could be. Its all speculation. At best, you can be wary of a conflict of interest. Fortunately, it has been openly declared and any clever investigative journalist should be free and able to dig up any dirt and put les miserables out of their misery.
My suspicions are that there is as much (or little) dirt to find as there is on the Keshi allegations.
Simply people speaking on feelings.
Agreed.
So hold back on the cynicism for now. You might run out if he indeed delivers on what you demand. :D
Obasi never mentioned BRIBE in his previous allegation.

Obasi is an intelligent guy. He is not going to open his mouth gboa!, like some street tout. But he clearly stated in 2014: "The country should come first, before individual gain."
That could be read two ways. He could have meant either, or he could have been deliberately using double speak. Neither you nor I are in a position to know for sure exactly what he was insinuating by that statement.
Unfortunately the accused is not alive to respond to the accusation.
Yes, I think we've already established that. We also established that the accusations were around while he was alive and he didn't find it necessary to address them. I don't blame him.
It is not unlikely that people asked Obasi for money to get him into the team. We have TOUTS all over. We saw the AYOAKINFE and Emeka Ezeala saga.
I agree. The question is who and on who's behalf?
(I really wish someone would direct me to this often-quoted Ayo Akinfe saga. I somehow completely missed it.)
However, there is NOTHING to show that Obasi would have made any difference.
Well, true. But there's nothing to show that even the great Messi would have made a difference if he were Nigerian. He and his team were knocked out in 2018 at the same stage we were in 2014.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

If Keshi had employed the agent, who allegedly helped him get the SE coach, has his chief scout and pays him from salary as SE coach.

Conflict of interest (Was this declared)? If not, well that´s....

Bribery

Corruption

As Chris Rock said: It´s all right, because it´s all.....
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:If Keshi had employed the agent, who allegedly helped him get the SE coach, has his chief scout and pays him from salary as SE coach.

Bribery

Corruption

Your point is nor clear Fabio.
Maybe a typo?

If its about the conflict of interest, I deliberatey threw that in as a red herring. :taunt:
I do not see the COI if you make your own agent your chief scout.
But you can kindly make the COI case for us to see.

Adelakun is not an agent for any of the players he has introduced to Rohr. If he had been, then that would be a clear indefensible conflict of interest.

Like Txj rightly pointed out, managers often choose their own scouts and pay them. So unless you have any basis for believing Rohr's arm was twisted in choosing Adelakun, I'm afraid you don't really have a case.

But you clearly believe you have a strong one, so let's hear it. :D
And please don't play the race card. Its so tired.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Wailers, chop rice leave stone. Always over analysing and looking for angles that they can interpret to suit their campaign of calumny.
We have been to 6 world cups, the only ones tainted with allegations of corruption in player selection were the 2002 and 2014 WC squads selected by Nigerian coaches.
Even Emmanuel Adebayor made serious allegations but they sweep it under the carpet as long as their man is concerned.
Daniel Amokachi, assistant coach, has spoken up, as well as Brown Ideye but they're not interested.
I have heard some more serious allegations regarding that 2014 WC squad selection that if I was to put it on CE, it would open a whole new can of worms.
One of our major problems as a nation is that once we support someone, he can do no wrong in our eyes and will make excuses for their shortcomings. We do it with our politicians and that's why they've taken us for a ride!
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:If Keshi had employed the agent, who allegedly helped him get the SE coach, has his chief scout and pays him from salary as SE coach.

Bribery

Corruption

Your point is nor clear Fabio.
Maybe a typo?
I will try and create a clearer picture...

Adelakun is alleged to has helped Rohr secure the SE job.

Rohr employs Adelakun has the SE chief scout.

Rohr pays Adelakun from the SE salary, from the job, which Adelakun alleged him secure.

Although, a CE source says: Adelakun only recommends, Rohr has the final say.

I hope it´s all clear, now.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote:Wailers, chop rice leave stone. Always over analysing and looking for angles that they can interpret to suit their campaign of calumny.
We have been to 6 world cups, the only ones tainted with allegations of corruption in player selection were the 2002 and 2014 WC squads selected by Nigerian coaches.
Even Emmanuel Adebayor made serious allegations but they sweep it under the carpet as long as their man is concerned.
Daniel Amokachi, assistant coach, has spoken up, as well as Brown Ideye but they're not interested.
I have heard some more serious allegations regarding that 2014 WC squad selection that if I was to put it on CE, it would open a whole new can of worms.
One of our major problems as a nation is that once we support someone, he can do no wrong in our eyes and will make excuses for their shortcomings. We do it with our politicians and that's why they've taken us for a ride!
Please can you confirm or deny reports that Adelakun helped or played a role in Rohr to getting the SE job?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I like Obasi as a player and strongly believe he would have had a long professional and international career but for his injuries. While someone may have demanded bribe from him to make the WC list, he would have had a hard time making that particular WC squad on merit given that he was nowhere near the form he had prior to his injury, at the time of the selection. Making that squad would have been more confirmation of bribery than his not making it.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

..if you don't like Stephen Keshi, you'll say he takes bribe.
If you like Stephen Keshi, you'll say he does not take bribe.
This is how Nigerians flow.
I wonder why this Obasi guy did not state who the official is that asked him for the bribe?
And don't get me wrong folks, bribery is an endemic disease in Nigeria.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

1naija wrote:I like Obasi as a player and strongly believe he would have had a long professional and international career but for his injuries. While someone may have demanded bribe from him to make the WC list, he would have had a hard time making that particular WC squad on merit given that he was nowhere near the form he had prior to his injury, at the time of the selection. Making that squad would have been more confirmation of bribery than his not making it.
Obasi was in good form leading to the 2014 WC with Schalke. He played the entire 2nd half of the German league helping his club to 2nd position. The only players with higher profile than him in that squad were the Chelsea duo of Milel and Victor Moses.
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
Dammy wrote:Wailers, chop rice leave stone. Always over analysing and looking for angles that they can interpret to suit their campaign of calumny.
Please can you confirm or deny reports that Adelakun helped or played a role in Rohr to getting the SE job?
I don't know but let's assume he recommended Rohr for the job after Paul Le Guen turned us down publicly, does that stop him from becoming a scout for Rohr, just like Agali.
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Obasi was in good form leading to the 2014 WC with Schalke. He played the entire 2nd half of the German league helping his club to 2nd position. The only players with higher profile than him in that squad were the Chelsea duo of Milel and Victor Moses.
Jonathan Akpoborie was in the form of his life in the Bundesliga and played the WC qualifiers for France´98, yet he was dropped.

Obasi did not played any of the WC qualifiers for 2014 and last played for the SE in 2011.

Let´s put things in perspective.