It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:43 pm 

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
CE thread on Reuben Gabriel just before the 2014WC
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249059

Judge for yourselves. :idea:

Bros, we can also judge by his display deputizing Onazi after he got injured vs France. Was such a drop off when he came on. Also, Uchebo's woeful cameo's...

I know that most of the SE coaches including the foreign ones can be accused of conduct that leads to conflict of interest. My problem is when that conflict of interest weakens the team.
Clemence Westerhoff admitted that he was paid by FC Brugges for the transfer of Daniel Amokachi. He said he deserves to be paid for being woken up at night in Pappendal training camp to get the Bull to sign for the club. Amokachi I'm sure we will all agree deserves his place in the SE squad.
What I have a problem with is when the conflict of interest gives undeserving players squad places and weakens the team like it did in the 2014 WC.
Nigeria was going toe to toe with France, until Onazi got injured and had to be replaced by Gabriel, who obviously was not up to par. The tide of the game changed in France's favour with the introduction of Gabriel and eventually the SE buckled under pressure and conceded 2 goals.
I wonder if Fegor Ogude or John Ogu, both played well in the Confederations Cup the previous year, had been on the bench, maybe the result would have been different.
It's also strange that the following players, Odunlami, Nwofor, Uzoenyi, Uchebo and Ameobi either got little or no minutes at the WC and were not called up again after the WC for the duration of Keshi's reigns as SE coach.
It makes one wonder whether the purpose for their invitation has been fulfilled.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 am 

Dammy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
CE thread on Reuben Gabriel just before the 2014WC
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249059

Judge for yourselves. :idea:

Bros, we can also judge by his display deputizing Onazi after he got injured vs France. Was such a drop off when he came on. Also, Uchebo's woeful cameo's...

I know that most of the SE coaches including the foreign ones can be accused of conduct that leads to conflict of interest. My problem is when that conflict of interest weakens the team.
Clemence Westerhoff admitted that he was paid by FC Brugges for the transfer of Daniel Amokachi. He said he deserves to be paid for being woken up at night in Pappendal training camp to get the Bull to sign for the club. Amokachi I'm sure we will all agree deserves his place in the SE squad.
What I have a problem with is when the conflict of interest gives undeserving players squad places and weakens the team like it did in the 2014 WC.
Nigeria was going toe to toe with France, until Onazi got injured and had to be replaced by Gabriel, who obviously was not up to par. The tide of the game changed in France's favour with the introduction of Gabriel and eventually the SE buckled under pressure and conceded 2 goals.
I wonder if Fegor Ogude or John Ogu, both played well in the Confederations Cup the previous year, had been on the bench, maybe the result would have been different.
It's also strange that the following players, Odunlami, Nwofor, Uzoenyi, Uchebo and Ameobi either got little or no minutes at the WC and were not called up again after the WC for the duration of Keshi's reigns as SE coach.
It makes one wonder whether the purpose for their invitation has been fulfilled.

I can't disagree.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯