Big fish revealed?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oscar52
Egg
Egg
Re: Big fish revealed?

Post by oscar52 »

Damunk wrote:
oscar52 wrote:I tell you. Its one thing to source physical/athletic specimen of the likes of Oliseh or generational talent like the two Ronaldos but to be sourcing every player of Nigerian heritage that happens to play in the top flight is doing injustice to the kids in Nigeria that need the opportunity the most. When the world cups where envisioned I don't think this is what they had in mind where like 70% of the players representing the participating countries are raised in like 5 Europeans soccer nations. The worldcup will simply lose its flair and flamboyance.
Oscar52, the key question is, 'do we want to be competitive on the world stage or not?'
If we have players performing in the top four or five leagues of the world, you are telling me that some of them should be ignored for promising local talent who, when the chips are down, are no match?
The game has changed even from the era of JJ, Taribo, Kanu and Finidi and right now, he who dares, wins.
No questions asked.

The Nigerian economy is driving millions of ordinary Nigerians out to where the money is in the west. They are having children. Those children are playing football and have access to training facilities, developmental programmes, nutrition and top scouting opportunities that our locals can only dream of.

Yet you somehow believe its a level playing field.
It isn't and won't be for a long time.
I get what you are saying but if we go by that criteria, Nigerian raised kids might become extinct in our national team and that would be too bad. The truth is that Italian players will likely have first dips in Italian leagues and English players likely as well in English league etc. When a star like Ike Uche was playing in Spain for a lowly team, Joe Cole was wearing the No 10 for Chelsea because its an English league. So its unfair to make European leagues the primary criteria for selection, they can only absorb so many players plus some of those leagues have strict criteria that you have to have represented your nation like they have in England. There has to be some balance somewhere in the best interest of the game. Its just not Nigeria alone that is doing it either its alot of nations especially in Africa. Its like they have been shafted so much at the WC that they have now settled on playing it with foreign borns but its an extreme reaction to me. Winning is not everything, the brand "Nigeria soccer" has to be protected too, and the fans have to be engaged. There are worldwide fans that have never been to Nigeria before but fell in love with it due to the style of soccer they play, that style will be hard to maintain if the kids are primarily sources from top five European clubs and by extension countries. The selection criteria needs to be widened.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oscar52 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
oscar52 wrote:I tell you. Its one thing to source physical/athletic specimen of the likes of Oliseh or generational talent like the two Ronaldos but to be sourcing every player of Nigerian heritage that happens to play in the top flight is doing injustice to the kids in Nigeria that need the opportunity the most. When the world cups where envisioned I don't think this is what they had in mind where like 70% of the players representing the participating countries are raised in like 5 Europeans soccer nations. The worldcup will simply lose its flair and flamboyance.
Oscar52, the key question is, 'do we want to be competitive on the world stage or not?'
If we have players performing in the top four or five leagues of the world, you are telling me that some of them should be ignored for promising local talent who, when the chips are down, are no match?
The game has changed even from the era of JJ, Taribo, Kanu and Finidi and right now, he who dares, wins.
No questions asked.

The Nigerian economy is driving millions of ordinary Nigerians out to where the money is in the west. They are having children. Those children are playing football and have access to training facilities, developmental programmes, nutrition and top scouting opportunities that our locals can only dream of.

I get what you are saying but if we go by that criteria, Nigerian raised kids might become extinct in our national team and that would be too bad. The truth is that Italian players will likely have first dips in Italian leagues and English players likely as well in English league etc. When a star like Ike Uche was playing in Spain for a lowly team, Joe Cole was wearing the No 10 for Chelsea because its an English league. So its unfair to make European leagues the primary criteria for selection, they can only absorb so many players plus some of those leagues have strict criteria that you have to have represented your nation like they have in England. There has to be some balance somewhere in the best interest of the game. Its just not Nigeria alone that is doing it either its alot of nations especially in Africa. Its like they have been shafted so much at the WC that they have now settled on playing it with foreign borns but its an extreme reaction to me. Winning is not everything, the brand "Nigeria soccer" has to be protected too, and the fans have to be engaged. There are worldwide fans that have never been to Nigeria before but fell in love with it due to the style of soccer they play, that style will be hard to maintain if the kids are primarily sources from top five European clubs and by extension countries. The selection criteria needs to be widened.
Like I said in an earlier post, I believe the much vaunted 'Nigerian style' is overrated - but only because it is not unique or anything overly complicated.

If we are talking about top professional footballers, there is absolutely no reason why a FB Nigerian player cannot fit into this 'style'. Footballers are transferring to new clubs and new foreign leagues all the time. Adapting to new 'styles' comes with being a professional at the top of your game. If a coach doesn't believe you fit into his plans, he simply doesn't invite you. Finish. Its nothing to do with where you learnt to play football.
Moreover, teams change tactics per coach, per opponent and even per game objective, so its nothing new.

I think the whole foreign born thing is pure sentiment - something that the top footballing nations have long left behind and moved on.

For them, winning is everything.
"Daz fu'boh" :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Damunk wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
No questions asked.

Like I said in an earlier post, I believe the much vaunted 'Nigerian style' is overrated - but only because it is not unique or anything overly complicated.

If we are talking about top professional footballers, there is absolutely no reason why a FB Nigerian player cannot fit into this 'style'. Footballers are transferring to new clubs and new foreign leagues all the time. Adapting to new 'styles' comes with being a professional at the top of your game. If a coach doesn't believe you fit into his plans, he simply doesn't invite you. Finish. Its nothing to do with where you learnt to play football.
Moreover, teams change tactics per coach, per opponent and even per game objective, so its nothing new.

I think the whole foreign born thing is pure sentiment
- something that the top footballing nations have long left behind and moved on.

For them, winning is everything.
"Daz fu'boh" :idea:
Nothing more to be added sir :clap:

Too much sentiments here man.

Why not address the root of the problem instead of the symptoms

Fix the local league and develop sustainable top talents instead of asking for quota system for local players.

Some of the same players we see play the WAFU and local CAF competitions?

How many have we seen that have been exceptional. Instead the few too run abroad at the earliest exposure or opportunity.
And who would blame them ?

Again address the root problem, and not be too sentimental.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Is this the big fish :taunt: ?
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

imehjunior wrote: Is this the big fish :taunt: ?

:rotf: :rotf: So Peter Crouch has taken Nigerian citizenship? How come? Nigerian passport? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Rumors on steroids....See how they are making fun of our Super Eagles oooo! Naija no even no HIFA rules? Kai, dis "Africans sef." Soon Crouch will tell us how he traveled through the jungle. That, after he did quick bizz at the Nigerian Embassy in London and was presented with a new Nigerian passport ( :roll: ). Waiting for the story in the Daily Sun. Crap. What a foolish story.
Nigeria: Peter Crouch keen to represent the Super Eagles
Ed Dove
@EddyDove
10:47 5/27/20
https://www.goal.com/en/news/nigeria-pe ... o4z7we794j

Amidst rumours of Harry Redknapp's arrival, the former England striker appears keen to switch nationality and turn out for the West African giants!
Peter Crouch looks set to be the next England-born player to turn out for Nigeria’s Super Eagles…at least if his latest cheeky tweet is to be believed.
The former Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur striker responded to rumours that the Nigeria Football Federation are considering a move to recruit Harry Redknapp to replace Gernot Rohr by throwing his hat into the ring for an international switch!
“So excited to get my Nigerian passport through today,” Crouch tweeted on Tuesday. “Go Super Eagles.”

Unfortunately for any Nigeria fans hopeful of the 39-year-old forward coming out of retirement to don the famous green of the Super Eagles, Fifa guidelines outline that players who represent one nation in competitive fixtures are not allowed to switch nationality. :taunt: :taunt:

This would prevent 42-cap ex-England man Crouch from ever turning out for his beloved Super Eagles!

The towering striker worked alongside Redknapp at several clubs, including Portsmouth and Spurs, with the veteran coach selling the striker on three occasions.
The 73-year-old, who was recently a guest on Crouch’s podcast, has been tipped for a return to management as the unlikely successor to Rohr should the Franco-German coach fail to agree terms on a new deal.

Redknapp hasn’t been in a managerial post since leaving Birmingham City in 2017, and despite working with some of Africa’s biggest names during his career, has no experience of working in African football.

The Londoner has previously held an international post, although his brief stint in Jordan back in 2016 didn’t lead to any tangible success.

The likes of Jermain Defoe, Niko Kranjcar and Sandro are just some of the players who worked with Redknapp at multiple clubs, with the manager often inspiring great loyalty within his players.
The former West Ham United wideman also got the best out of some of Nigeria’s greatest stars; he was responsible for bringing Ayegbeni Yakubu to the Premier League with Portsmouth, while he also oversaw Nwankwo Kanu’s Indian summer at the same club.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

oscar52 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
oscar52 wrote:How difficult is soccer that the NFA is scouring the globe to source players. Nigeria can field 50 teams just from Nigeria right now that will give any world power a run for their money. The bigger problem is quality coaching and fair selection in my opinion. Yall cant tell me this Busayo Saka is that much better than the lads that just competed at the U17 and like that most will be discarded and the sourcing from England and Germany continues. What the Nigerian raised teams needs is help showcasing the local league and talent to the world so they can get opportunities to play abroad and learn the intricacies of the game but the talent is there in Nigeria. Otherwise soon the local fans might disengage if they start seeing a brand of soccer they cant relate to from their national teams.
I agree with you bro. The problem is the greedy people surrounding such young naive talents from administrators, coaches, agents, parents who all want to eat from any prospective deal thereby pushing the player's best interest into an afterthought.
Many talented young Nigerians have had developmental clubs in Europe turn them down because they have many "agents" claiming to act for them.
I tell you. Its one thing to source physical/athletic specimen of the likes of Oliseh or generational talent like the two Ronaldos but to be sourcing every player of Nigerian heritage that happens to play in the top flight is doing injustice to the kids in Nigeria that need the opportunity the most. When the world cups where envisioned I dont think this is what they had in mind where like 70% of the players representing the participating countries are raised in like 5 Europeans soccer nations. The worldcup will simply lose its flair and flamboyance.

THE UNFAIRNESS TO LOCAL KIDS IS WHY...

...I'm against the short-cut strategy of Pinnick and Rohr. What's more, it could be the reason why in the future Nigeria is unable to raise a worthy team.
Bell
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

imehjunior wrote: Is this the big fish :taunt: ?
This is the new level of SE, thanks to the global brand we are building.

Oko ile ki i jo obinrin loju, afi bo ba do tita :taunt:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:Rumors on steroids....See how they are making fun of our Super Eagles oooo! Naija no even no HIFA rules? Kai, dis "Africans sef." Soon Crouch will tell us how he traveled through the jungle. That, after he did quick bizz at the Nigerian Embassy in London and was presented with a new Nigerian passport ( :roll: ). Waiting for the story in the Daily Sun. Crap. What a foolish story.
Ed Dove
@EddyDove

Amidst rumours of Harry Redknapp's arrival, the former England striker appears keen to switch nationality and turn out for the West African giants!
Peter Crouch looks set to be the next England-born player to turn out for Nigeria’s Super Eagles…at least if his latest cheeky tweet is to be believed.
The former Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur striker responded to rumours that the Nigeria Football Federation are considering a move to recruit Harry Redknapp to replace Gernot Rohr by throwing his hat into the ring for an international switch!
“So excited to get my Nigerian passport through today,” Crouch tweeted on Tuesday. “Go Super Eagles.”

Unfortunately for any Nigeria fans hopeful of the 39-year-old forward coming out of retirement to don the famous green of the Super Eagles, Fifa guidelines outline that players who represent one nation in competitive fixtures are not allowed to switch nationality. :taunt: :taunt:

This would prevent 42-cap ex-England man Crouch from ever turning out for his beloved Super Eagles!

The towering striker worked alongside Redknapp at several clubs, including Portsmouth and Spurs, with the veteran coach selling the striker on three occasions.
The 73-year-old, who was recently a guest on Crouch’s podcast, has been tipped for a return to management as the unlikely successor to Rohr should the Franco-German coach fail to agree terms on a new deal.

Redknapp hasn’t been in a managerial post since leaving Birmingham City in 2017, and despite working with some of Africa’s biggest names during his career, has no experience of working in African football.

The Londoner has previously held an international post, although his brief stint in Jordan back in 2016 didn’t lead to any tangible success.

The likes of Jermain Defoe, Niko Kranjcar and Sandro are just some of the players who worked with Redknapp at multiple clubs, with the manager often inspiring great loyalty within his players.
The former West Ham United wideman also got the best out of some of Nigeria’s greatest stars; he was responsible for bringing Ayegbeni Yakubu to the Premier League with Portsmouth, while he also oversaw Nwankwo Kanu’s Indian summer at the same club.
I hope everyone recognises this is all tongue-in-cheek and no-one is taking it serious?
You know English humour is different from our own....
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Rumors on steroids....See how they are making fun of our Super Eagles oooo! Naija no even no HIFA rules? Kai, dis "Africans sef." Soon Crouch will tell us how he traveled through the jungle. That, after he did quick bizz at the Nigerian Embassy in London and was presented with a new Nigerian passport ( :roll: ). Waiting for the story in the Daily Sun. Crap. What a foolish story.
Ed Dove
@EddyDove

I hope everyone recognises this is all tongue-in-cheek and no-one is taking it serious?
If anyone does not, then sadly you can't do anything for the person.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

imehjunior wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ed Dove
@EddyDove

I refuse to believe Enugu II is taking this seriously.

I just hope sentiments is not getting the better of some people here, and making the most basic of comprehension look like Rocket science
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

shaq wrote:
imehjunior wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ed Dove
@EddyDove

I just hope sentiments is not getting the better of some people here, and making the most basic of comprehension look like Rocket science
I think that might be happening becos there is absolutely NO REASON why anyone should be taking this issue with any degree of seriousness at all.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
shaq wrote:
imehjunior wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ed Dove
@EddyDove

I think that might be happening becos there is absolutely NO REASON why anyone should be taking this issue with any degree of seriousness at all.

Damunk,

The reality is that it was INDEED taken seriously by many on this site. Remember, that there was a thread that went on at lengths with expectations about appointment of the English man. I went to that thread to brand it a rumor and I remember many who countered that we do not know yet. They cited reports including this one by Goal.com plus others. The next day or two, the NFF had to issue a strongly-worded statement to SHUTDOWN the rumor. That is what ended the rumor. Do not forget that.