Redknapp to coach Nigeria?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Redknapp to coach Nigeria?

Post by waka-man »

First of all it’s the Daily Mirror. Even Owngoal has more credibility.

Second, not a single proper source apart from “a super eagles source”. I don’t even know what that means.

Maybe, maybe Harry 15 years ago would be an option to consider. But the guy is now firmly ensconced in his 70s, never coached in Africa. Plus he’s had money problems and tumultuous relationships with pretty much every team he’s coached - West Ham, Portsmouth, T’Ham. With Nigeria it’ll end in weeks.

My suspicion is this is some Nigerian agent dangling a few dollars in front of Harry and using contacts to get a news piece into the Mirror with the hopes of muddying Rohr’s waters.

E no go better for dem.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

Guys, the contract extension with Rohr is sealed and done... So stop talking about Cuper or Redknapp.. They should apply for other FAs for a coaching contracts...
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Next wrote:Guys, the contract extension with Rohr is sealed and done... So stop talking about Cuper or Redknapp.. They should apply for other FAs for a coaching contracts...
So it would seem but would like to know the provenance of this story.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...we need former British prime minister and FA chief to head to Nigeria asap, any of them will do, the ship is sinking fast.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

DIMKA76 wrote:Reading between the lines regarding Rohr's revised contract and all that is rumoured to have gone on, seems like the NFF tried to make the revised contract as unattractive as possible. With Rohr agreeing to it, seems like a tactical game of chess. If NFF leave Rohr unpaid as they have in the past, he might leave with a huge payoff. E be like say NFF don't chop bottle.
His contract runs out in June. NFF had all the aces as they could've simply not renewed the contract. What they decide now is totally up to them.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

.... I had to do a double take to check if today is the 1st of April...

It will be like a Nollywood movie where the scammer is scammed by the scammee..
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Orion wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:Reading between the lines regarding Rohr's revised contract and all that is rumoured to have gone on, seems like the NFF tried to make the revised contract as unattractive as possible. With Rohr agreeing to it, seems like a tactical game of chess. If NFF leave Rohr unpaid as they have in the past, he might leave with a huge payoff. E be like say NFF don't chop bottle.
His contract runs out in June. NFF had all the aces as they could've simply not renewed the contract. What they decided now is totally up to them.
You are aware NFA signed the previous contract without due diligence right? And Rohr's is also rumored to have offered himself thousands of $$$. So sounds like Rohr's is now a bone in the NFA's throat.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...these are desperate times.
With Coro-19 tormenting many not being able to make money (via their usual fraud) why not put this coach thing in the front page everyday until somehow the current coach capitulate.
And they get their man who will give the needed cut.
This lock down dey pain all, big and small :sad:
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

DIMKA76 wrote:
Next wrote:Guys, the contract extension with Rohr is sealed and done... So stop talking about Cuper or Redknapp.. They should apply for other FAs for a coaching contracts...
So it would seem but would like to know the provenance of this story.
Rohr thanks NFF for new deal, promises to make Eagles super again
https://guardian.ng/sport/football/rohr ... per-again/

Super Eagles Manager, Gernot Rohr, has thanked the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for giving him a new two and a half year contract to continue coaching the senior national team.

Rohr first got the opportunity to train the Super Eagles in 2016 and got another two-year deal in 2018. His current contract will expire next month, but sources at the NFF told The Guardian that the German has been given a new two years and a half years deal.

Rohr confirmed his new contract at the weekend in a mail he sent to some NFF board members thanking them for facilitating the deal.He wrote: “I am happy to confirm that we have come to an agreement to continue my work as head coach of the Super Eagles for the next two years and a half.

“I want to say thank you to the Nigeria Football Federation, led by President Amaju Pinnick, the board and of course the General Secretary for their confidence in me to continue in this job.

“It is not common to have a country with the same national coach for what will be six years and this will be made possible because of the support of the federation, the government of Nigeria and our team.

“We have a big project in front of us. We have the quality and with the continued cooperation of everyone concerned, including the fans and good people of Nigeria, I believe we will have a good result that will spell great development for football in Nigeria in the future.”

NFF General Secretary, Sanusi Mohammed, declined to confirm or deny the development, but The Guardian recalls that the NFF after its teleconference last week tasked Sanusi to finalise Rohr’s new contract within one week.

Rohr’s new deal puts to rest the agitations of Englishman, Harry Redknapp and Argentine, Hector Cuper taking over from the French-German. The Guardian learnt that Redknapp had been lobbying his contacts in Nigerian football for the top job, just as Cuper had already sent his agent to persuade the NFF to hire his client.

Cuper, who led Valencia of Spain to the UEFA Champions League final on two occasions, reportedly saw the Eagles’ job as a good opportunity to reassert his credential as one of the world’s top coaches after his mixed adventure with Egypt.

Pinnick has always indicated that a long list of indigenous and foreign coaches were waiting in the wings if Rohr failed to accept the new terms in his contract, the report claimed.
He's rumored that he will be earning $50.000 per month, $4.000 less than he's currently earning...
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

I am referring to the Harry Redknapp Story
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:They will not stop until they hand SE over to the English FA. Colo people. :cry:
Maybe they figure Redknapp will help with the dual British Nigerians.
I like him but don't trust him.
The man like all great spivs is great negotiator, Pienaar credits him alone for choosing Spurs over Chelsea in 2011 so he has that to his credit. Now will this result in a wide ranging investigation of course, therefore it must happen.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

NFF has not officially announced Rohr’s renewal have they? Only Rohr made a statement. Something is amiss.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

Redknapp is a bad idea.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ugbowo wrote:NFF has not officially announced Rohr’s renewal have they? Only Rohr made a statement. Something is amiss.
Like the fact that the NFF have not got their act together because the press announcement was supposed to have been drafted 3 days ago by the secretary to the vice Chairman working from home but, hmmmm....

There was no light and even her laptop seemed to have suddenly caught a form of coronavirus so she sent the handwritten draft to her boss through her driver for printing in the NFF office but the driver was stopped for flouting the lockdown rules and 'not wearing of mask' and he had no money to bribe the police officer who then angrily arrested him unless the driver could call Oga to send money or the vehicle would be impounded so the driver open him phone and discovered 'ah! no credit' so the Olopa borrow him his own phone to call but the driver call, call, call, no answer until di Olopa phone now died, then Olopa said okay 'arrest him!' but di driver said they have cash in the office so Olopa said lets go and they quickly drove to the NFF office but they have already close because of delay and the gateman say 'driver you cannot enter' and the driver say ' you don't know me again?' but di gateman say e know am but 'Oga have comot office because no light and no diesel so diyafor you cannot enter and even me sef I never collect salary for tiri months like Rohr so please carry your wahala go.'

Hmmmm....
That's how the incensed Olopa now arrested the driver and impounded the vehicle.
When the driver was eventually able to call Blessing the Housegirl in di house the next morning she said Madam was 'unreachable' because 'she have go into labour and have rush to hospital since last night becos NFF Oga was calling, calling where is the release? and Madam kudun reash you so where did you go that is now causing Madame to enter labour from stressfulness and contraption and in fact, you see now, Oga have start again asking me to bring fish peppersoup for him in di bedroom at 2 in di mooring but God-so-kind, no gas to cook di tilapia but where are you because we need to buy gas and go to market this mooring with the vehicle?

The driver said he is in Ikoyi police station...

Meanwhile, the NFF press relief draft is sitting in his back pocket till now.
So yes, something is definitely amiss with the NFF..... :oops: :P
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Oga this ur story long o.

I just asked. I haven’t seen an official announcement from the NFF. I stand corrected if they’ve released one.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ugbowo wrote:Oga this ur story long o.

I just asked. I haven’t seen an official announcement from the NFF. I stand corrected if they’ve released one.
Everything to do with the NFF is complicated, sadly. :idea:
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

OK, more news is coming out now about this rumour.

It looks like the sports ministry is trying to hire Redknapp for the SE while the NFF wants to keep Rohr.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/nigeria ... y-redknapp
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Orion wrote:OK, more news is coming out now about this rumour.

It looks like the sports ministry is trying to hire Redknapp for the SE while the NFF wants to keep Rohr.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/nigeria ... y-redknapp
And here we go again...
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

**** must go. 4 years on the job and absolutely nothing to show for it
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

As I understand it, this is much ado about nothing. NFF was readying to hire Redknapp or Cooper (who recently coached Egypt) until Rohr pulled the strings through his connection with the Sports Minister forcing NFF to move on a renewal. NFF was tactically using the COVID situation to delay Rohr's renewal with the plan to hire one of the two mentioned above until Rohr and his connections brokered a deal via the Minister's pressure.

In my view, I like the renewal of Rohr over the other two choices. I have long believed, and still do, that the difference-making coaches in world football can be defined using a Bell Curve -- there are very few of them. Redknapp is not one of those and neither is Rohr. In fact, there are even far fewer of those at the national team level where available training time is increasingly scarce. The advantage with having Rohr is continuity -- something that we have lacked for sometime. My strong belief in continuity for Nigeria is that it is a way to buy the training time that is sorely lacking in national team football but can bring an advantage mirrored only in club football.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

:shock: :woot: :lol:
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Enugu II wrote:As I understand it, this is much ado about nothing. NFF was readying to hire Redknapp or Cooper (who recently coached Egypt) until Rohr pulled the strings through his connection with the Sports Minister forcing NFF to move on a renewal. NFF was tactically using the COVID situation to delay Rohr's renewal with the plan to hire one of the two mentioned above until Rohr and his connections brokered a deal via the Minister's pressure.

In my view, I like the renewal of Rohr over the other two choices. I have long believed, and still do, that the difference-making coaches in world football can be defined using a Bell Curve -- there are very few of them. Redknapp is not one of those and neither is Rohr. In fact, there are even far fewer of those at the national team level where available training time is increasingly scarce. The advantage with having Rohr is continuity -- something that we have lacked for sometime. My strong belief in continuity for Nigeria is that it is a way to buy the training time that is sorely lacking in national team football but can bring an advantage mirrored only in club football.
Now this makes a whole lot of sense.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:As I understand it, this is much ado about nothing. NFF was readying to hire Redknapp or Cooper (who recently coached Egypt) until Rohr pulled the strings through his connection with the Sports Minister forcing NFF to move on a renewal. NFF was tactically using the COVID situation to delay Rohr's renewal with the plan to hire one of the two mentioned above until Rohr and his connections brokered a deal via the Minister's pressure.

Well said!
You can trust that the Rohr haters will totally downplay the importance of continuity.
But they can't take you on because they cannot throw the 'WOWO' label around your neck! :lol: :lol: :lol: