The Imposition of Home based players in SE...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
The Imposition of Home based players in SE...

Post by Otitokoro »

An insight into some of the warped and myopic thought processes behind the aggitation for superimposing domestic league players into the Super Eagles. Note: this were comments from alleged 'age cheat', Stanley Dimgba. Enjoy
Source: Brila.net
Dimgba wants NFF to be strict on Rohr’s consideration for home based players

Enyimba and home-based national team player Stanley Dimgba has stated that he wants the Nigeria Football Federation to be strict and closely monitor Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr in the area of ensuring that home-based players are not left out in the scheme of things as far as the national team is concerned.

Dimgba speaking in a chat with www.brila.net said left to him, he would have preferred the choice of hiring another coach who will be willing to work with domestic league stars which he believes will apart from putting players on their toes will also help encourage players to be hopeful that their effort in the league can earn them spots in the national team.
“If our country wants the Nigerian league to develop definitely they must encourage home-based players, they need to find a coach that will look into our league identifying with home-based players because most countries like South Africa, Egypt, Tunisia they have home-based that are playing in their country so definitely we must have home based too so that our league will develop and not just be inviting all those foreign players and you can not encourage home-based.
If Daddy Rohr will look into our Nigerian league let him stay but if he cannot look into our Nigerian league, I don’t think that he is supposed to be there.”
Could the reasoning behind South Africa, Egypt and Tunisia be that they really don't have that many players plying their trades at other more accomplished leagues, hence the obvious need to look inwards? Why are countries like Algeria and Cote d'ivoire, who do have very good domestic leagues, have the bulk of their squad made up of foreign based players? What 'encouragement' is Dimgba referring to? If you're good enough, the scouts will see you. There are tens of kids in the many Nigerian

This 'home based' nonsense is nothing but a front by agents and players are looking for any which way to showcase mediocre players in order to secure overseas ontracts. period! They are not interested in 'Nigeria' putting its best foot foward (by using its very best players around the world to win competitions). This is why age cheats like Stanley Dimgba feel enboldened to speak, as they now have a sounding board.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: The Imposition of Home based players in SE...

Post by Damunk »

He has a point that HB players "need to be hopeful" but they still have to earn a call-up.
He has got it twisted though.
U don't improve the league by calling up players; you call up players by improving the league.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:He has a point that HB players "need to be hopeful" but they still have to earn a call-up.
U don't improve the league by calling up players; you call up players by improving the league.

Damunk,

The general idea is good but that rule should be applied to call up of foreign players as well. I am uncertain how Maduka Okoye earned a call up, for instance. Instead, the national team is being used to improve a foreign based player.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:He has a point that HB players "need to be hopeful" but they still have to earn a call-up.

Damunk,

The general idea is good but that rule should be applied to call up of foreign players as well. I am uncertain how Maduka Okoye earned a call up, for instance. Instead, the national team is being used to improve a foreign based player.
Prof, how come the same national team didn't improve Ezenwa?
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:

Damunk,

I think its obvious to all that the GK position is a pretty unique one.
Maduka (and Uzoho) seem to be the whipping boys for all those who are intent on making a case for bias against the NPFL players.
There must be a reason Rohr went for these two players.
What do they have in common?
1. They are both YOUNG - indisputable
2. They are both over 6'5" TALL - height being a must for a modern day keeper. (The average height of an EPL GK is 6'5")
3. They both have HUGE POTENTIAL - debatable, but that is the coach's prerogative. If stories of Okoye's Dutch move are true, Rohr is right.

If the coach decides that these attributes are what his GK priorities are for whatever reason, is it really that scandalous?
He is building a young team for the future.
He can stick with Akpetyi, Ezenwa, Afekholai and Thomas if he wants, but he is not alone in his doubts about all four. Nigerians themselves have been very unforgiving of Akpeyi in particular.
Are there any young NPFL GKs that fulfil these criteria that haven't been called?
Also remember that we are pursuing an aggressive policy of claiming what is ours before they hit the limelight and get snapped up by other nations. It used to be called 'Catch Them Young' (CTY).
Some of us really don;t want another David Alaba situation.
You don't see Rohr going after foreign-born 'old cargos', like Sola Amoebi :rotf:

Meanwhile, I am not sure how the national team is being used to improve FB players - or anyone else for that matter. If it is about building self-confidence, that might be an indirect consequence. But it didn't seem to work for the locals that went to the WC in 2014.

Like we keep saying, it would really help if the local players being unjustly neglected are pointed out.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

It should not be. The fact is that the story was created and sold to us. I don't believe it one bit. Makes very little sense. This is a country that had regularly produced great goalkeepers locally but then it was when the coaches cared to look inwards. They cannot make such a claim of dearth of local keepers when they have not made any genuine attempt to call local goalkeepers. With the focus on foreign-based players and the obvious lack of Nigerian goalkeeping talents in foreign leagues, we have been sold an unconvincing story just to make a point. Absolutely crazy. What has been done is put up half hearted attempts and the only goalie called up from the local ranks is not even one that the locals believe is the best in the land. Even him was not offered the additional training the two others had received! Yet they have trained two novices from outside just to sell the story. I am not convinced one bit.
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Damunk,

I think its obvious to all that the GK position is a pretty unique one.
Maduka (and Uzoho) seem to be the whipping boys for all those who are intent on making a case for bias against the NPFL players.
There must be a reason Rohr went for these two players.
What do they have in common?
1. They are both YOUNG - indisputable
2. They are both over 6'5" TALL - height being a must for a modern day keeper. (The average height of an EPL GK is 6'5")
3. They both have HUGE POTENTIAL - debatable, but that is the coach's prerogative. If stories of Okoye's Dutch move are true, Rohr is right.

If the coach decides that these attributes are what his GK priorities are for whatever reason, is it really that scandalous?
He is building a young team for the future.
He can stick with Akpetyi, Ezenwa, Afekholai and Thomas if he wants, but he is not alone in his doubts about all four. Nigerians themselves have been very unforgiving of Akpeyi in particular.
Are there any young NPFL GKs that fulfil these criteria that haven't been called?
Also remember that we are pursuing an aggressive policy of claiming what is ours before they hit the limelight and get snapped up by other nations. It used to be called 'Catch Them Young' (CTY).
Some of us really don;t want another David Alaba situation.
You don't see Rohr going after foreign-born 'old cargos', like Sola Amoebi :rotf:

Meanwhile, I am not sure how the national team is being used to improve FB players - or anyone else for that matter. If it is about building self-confidence, that might be an indirect consequence. But it didn't seem to work for the locals that went to the WC in 2014.

Like we keep saying, it would really help if the local players being unjustly neglected are pointed out.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

How about using your best players to rep you? Anything short of that amounts to shooting yourself in the foot. Did someone ask who the best players are? I believe Rohr is the best person to answer that question.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Sorry Enugu II but you are yarning nonsense.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:Sorry Enugu II but you are yarning nonsense.
Mystic,

So in your mind Maduka Okoye is one of Nigeria's best goalies when he was called up to the NT? Can you please explain how you reached that conclusion?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

So in your mind Maduka Okoye is one of Nigeria's best goalies when he was called up to the NT? Can you please explain how you reached that conclusion?

I'll throw the question right back at you. Which goalkeeper in the Nigerian league (or anywhere else for that matter) should have been called up in his stead?

If you answer this question honestly, you will have essentially answered the question that you put to me.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

I'll throw the question right back at you. Which goalkeeper in the Nigerian league (or anywhere else for that matter) should have been called up in his stead?

If you answer this question honestly, you will have essentially answered the question that you put to me.
Mystic,

Obviously, you are not aware of local goalkeepers. But let me skip that.

The answer is simple, There are 20 starting goalkeepers in the Nigerian league. Several who have come up from the junior ranks as well. To now tell me that a third division goalkeeper in the German semi-pro is better than all these guys is really unbelievable. It is obviously the fact that he isn't ready that Nigeria has spent time sending its coaches to help prepare and train him. That, in my opinion, is ridiculous We have been repeatedly told that local players cannot be invited to the national camp because such a camp is not for grooming players but yet we have seen it for two goalkeepers who were both identified overseas. Why isn't that grooming extended also to young goalkeepers who are located locally? Better still, why not identify established goalkeepers from the NPFL?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

Mystic,

The answer is simple, There are 20 starting goalkeepers in the Nigerian league. Several who have come up from the junior ranks as well. To now tell me that a third division goalkeeper in the German semi-pro is better than all these guys is really unbelievable. It is obviously the fact that he isn't ready that Nigeria has spent time sending its coaches to help prepare and train him. That, in my opinion, is ridiculous We have been repeatedly told that local players cannot be invited to the national camp because such a camp is not for grooming players but yet we have seen it for two goalkeepers who were both identified overseas. Why isn't that grooming extended also to young goalkeepers who are located locally? Better still, why not identify established goalkeepers from the NPFL?

All I need from you is one name of a goalkeeper in the Nigerian league or otherwise that deserves an opportunity in his stead. After that we can ascertain whether or not I am familiar with local goalkeepers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:Damunk,
It should not be. The fact is that the story was created and sold to us. I don't believe it one bit. Makes very little sense.
Prof, that is your subjective opinion.
To millions of Nigerians, including myself and many others here, it makes perfect sense.
I don't buy the conspiracy theory that it was a story concocted and sold.
To what end?
This is a country that had regularly produced great goalkeepers locally but then it was when the coaches cared to look inwards. They cannot make such a claim of dearth of local keepers when they have not made any genuine attempt to call local goalkeepers.
Before Enyeama, when was the last time we had a truly great 'keeper, local or FB? Peter Rufai?
We had such an abundance of GK talent that a 35 yr old Rufai had to be called out of semi-retirement to man our posts at the 1998 World Cup, 22 years ago.
He wasn't even local, sef.
So maybe we are going back to Okalla. :D
With the focus on foreign-based players and the obvious lack of Nigerian goalkeeping talents in foreign leagues, we have been sold an unconvincing story just to make a point. Absolutely crazy. What has been done is put up half hearted attempts and the only goalie called up from the local ranks is not even one that the locals believe is the best in the land. Even him was not offered the additional training the two others had received! Yet they have trained two novices from outside just to sell the story. I am not convinced one bit.
Obviously that is your prerogative but millions of us are equally not convinced that there are local goalies that make or can make the top grade.
Our CHAN 'keepers over the last 6 or 7 years have consistently been from Ezenwa, Afelokhai, Ajiboye, Agbim and Thomas and these are keepers chosen by Salisu, Oliseh and Keshi - all Nigerian coaches that have never been accused of not looking for local talent.
From our U20 youth ranks, which GK has shown promise that anyone can name? The only two that come to mind are Uzoho and Alampasu. We all know what happened to the latter. Where are the rest?
If Okoye (or Uzoho) become top grade international 'keepers tomorrow, it definitely won't be because of Rohr's coaching. It'll simply show Rohr's eye for talent. You can't fault that, surely?

Prof, we don't need anybody to sell us any fake story.
The evidence (or lack of) is there for all to see. :idea:
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

OF COURSE, CALL UP SHOULD BE BASED ON MERIT, BUT...

...this Pinnick/Rohr strategy will be the undoing of Nigerian football down the road, ignoring for a moment that any team out of this strategy has a ceiling short of winning it all. Children born in Nigeria must be given legitimate opportunities for development. If, as was credited to Pinnick, their undoing is a lack of proper "nutrition" and "scientific coaching", why not begin to provide it? Short cuts are not a lasting solution.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote:OF COURSE, CALL UP SHOULD BE BASED ON MERIT, BUT...

...this Pinnick/Rohr strategy will be the undoing of Nigerian football down the road, ignoring for a moment that any team out of this strategy has a ceiling short of winning it all. Children born in Nigeria must be given legitimate opportunities for development. If, as was credited to Pinnick, their undoing is a lack of proper "nutrition" and "scientific coaching", why not begin to provide it? Short cuts are not a lasting solution.
Bell
Pinnick doesn't need to tell us that.
We already know it, unless we want to keep living in denial.

Pls listen to the stories of Awoniyi, Osimhen and Ighalo and tell us whether they are on the same level playing field as their FB peers.
As for fixing the NPFL, how long will it take and how long are you as a die-hard SE fan prepared to wait?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Damunk,

Prof, how come the same national team didn't improve Ezenwa?

That is the question for the national team coaches who have concentrated their efforts on improving those at foreign clubs. Ezenwa, I fell has done well being with the SE. However, he like any other player, should be ditched if the coaches feel he is not up to par. What is glaring, however, is the concentration of extra resources toward with foreign-based goalkeepers and nary for the home-based. A familiar theme.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

Mystic,

All I need from you is one name of a goalkeeper in the Nigerian league or otherwise that deserves an opportunity in his stead. After that we can ascertain whether or not I am familiar with local goalkeepers.
Mystic,

I am not here to do your homework. You can name, as a matter of fact any one can, these goalies by simply checking the web. However, I am not about to do it at your behest.

The basic point is we have as many goalies as are top division teams in the Nigerian league. That is what you need to know. If Rohr was bringing in an established goalie from Europe, perhaps one could understand the reasoning. Instead, he has plucked a third division guy to be trained (at the national team level!) and we now know that Rohr's crew claim that there are no data on local players. A convenient excuse not to identify one of the starting goalkeepers at the top division level in Nigeria. Of course, as soon as Rohr identifies this semi-pro in Germany, the clubs dream dollars and are quick to promote him with profit in mind at a later date. Tomorrow. we will claim "Rohr identified him and developed him. See, he is now playing at the top level!" Give me a break!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Damunk,
It should not be. The fact is that the story was created and sold to us. I don't believe it one bit. Makes very little sense.
Prof, that is your subjective opinion.
To millions of Nigerians, including myself and many others here, it makes perfect sense.
I don't buy the conspiracy theory that it was a story concocted and sold.
To what end?
Well, for those married to European football I certainly understand. However, for those looking to recruit Nigerian players including those at home, they understand that that these stories are made up with little effort recruiting. We tknow that much from Adelakun's recent interview.
This is a country that had regularly produced great goalkeepers locally but then it was when the coaches cared to look inwards. They cannot make such a claim of dearth of local keepers when they have not made any genuine attempt to call local goalkeepers.
Before Enyeama, when was the last time we had a truly great 'keeper, local or FB? Peter Rufai?
We had such an abundance of GK talent that a 35 yr old Rufai had to be called out of semi-retirement to man our posts at the 1998 World Cup, 22 years ago.
He wasn't even local, sef.
So maybe we are going back to Okalla. :D
You forgot the era that we had three starting waiver goalies. Have you forgotten soo? Including Enyeama and Ejide. Have you forgotten Rufai? Have you forgotten Rufai? Bros, Okala was eons ago, BTW. They were all developed locally. There are still more if only the coaches are serious in looking for them.
With the focus on foreign-based players and the obvious lack of Nigerian goalkeeping talents in foreign leagues, we have been sold an unconvincing story just to make a point. Absolutely crazy. What has been done is put up half hearted attempts and the only goalie called up from the local ranks is not even one that the locals believe is the best in the land. Even him was not offered the additional training the two others had received! Yet they have trained two novices from outside just to sell the story. I am not convinced one bit.
Obviously that is your prerogative but millions of us are equally not convinced that there are local goalies that make or can make the top grade.
Our CHAN 'keepers over the last 6 or 7 years have consistently been from Ezenwa, Afelokhai, Ajiboye, Agbim and Thomas and these are keepers chosen by Salisu, Oliseh and Keshi - all Nigerian coaches that have never been accused of not looking for local talent.
From our U20 youth ranks, which GK has shown promise that anyone can name? The only two that come to mind are Uzoho and Alampasu. We all know what happened to the latter. Where are the rest?
If Okoye (or Uzoho) become top grade international 'keepers tomorrow, it definitely won't be because of Rohr's coaching. It'll simply show Rohr's eye for talent. You can't fault that, surely?

Well, production of goalkeepers and players are not static, you know. It appears that if a goalie has not featured for the Super Eagles yet then he does not exist. Sure, by your account, I can suppose that Okoye would never have been mentioned by you if he was in Nigeria. In fact, that is the point that I make. Dig deeper. Follow the league and not wait till someone calls up a player to the nT before you learn about their ability. It is that very view that has led to this. Sure, Okoye will eventually become a top keeper except if he is not willing to work. Of course, not only will he play with Nigeria's best talents but his call up by Nigeria will force his club to move him quickly through the ranks with the dreams of transfer money. Who wouldn't, certainly not when he is being called up young? If this call up was by Keshi, we already know what the stories would be about.

Prof, we don't need anybody to sell us any fake story.
The evidence (or lack of) is there for all to see. :idea:
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

Mystic,

:thumb: :thumb:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote:

Bell

Pls listen to the stories of Awoniyi, Osimhen and Ighalo and tell us whether they are on the same level playing field as their FB peers.
As for fixing the NPFL, how long will it take and how long are you as a die-hard SE fan prepared to wait?
THE WAY I SEE IT...

...Pinnick's job is to win matches and lay the groundwork for tomorrow. He seems to have forgotten the second half of that charge. If Awoniyi et al are not at par with their counterparts in Europe, shouldn't Pinnick be even more driven to do something about it instead of skirting it? I'm not asking him to fix the NPFL, I'm asking him to address the grassroots. That's what he was elected to do; that's what FA's in advanced countries do. In any case, he can win now while also addressing the deficiencies that are there. It's not one or the other. The way he's going, what's he going to hand over to his successor?
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Bell

THE WAY I SEE IT...

...Pinnick's job is to win matches and lay the groundwork for tomorrow. He seems to have forgotten the second half of that charge. If Awoniyi et al are not at par with their counterparts in Europe, shouldn't Pinnick be even more driven to do something about it instead of skirting it? I'm not asking him to fix the NPFL, I'm asking him to address the grassroots. That's what he was elected to do; that's what FA's in advanced countries do. In any case, he can win now while also addressing the deficiencies that are there. It's not one or the other. The way he's going, what's he going to hand over to his successor?
Bell
Then you are at odds with those spoiling your argument.
If it is strictly about 'fixing the grassroots', then the deate will be a little more straightforward.
Whether the NFF is or should be in a position to 'fix' the grassroots nationwide in isolation of the state and local government authorities is another facet of the debate.
Where does the reach of the NFF stop and the state's and LG's start?

I would actually like to know. :idea:
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Prof, if I may...

Which young NPFL keepers are you referring to?
Over the past couple of years, at some point in time or the other, we have heard about the likes of Agbim, Femi Thomas, Aflelokhai and Femi Kayode being listed as the best keepers in the NPFL. We all saw how they performed on the international stage - Agbim (mediocre CHAN performance), Femi Thomas (uninspiring performance during NIG vs Atletico Madrid), Aflelokhai (Poor WAFU cup performance) and Femi Kayode (decent performance during CAF Cup). None of these guys are young (all carry an x factor, in addition to their decleared ages). Also, Ezenwa (now 28) has shown he is not as good as Akpeyi (who, by the way, is also a foreign based player). Not only that, in spite of being in the National set up all these years, he continued to play second fiddle to the Ghanaian Keeper at his club Enyimba during his tenure there.

The truth is the 'hope' for the future lies within our Academies (and not the NPFL). They churn out a lot of youngsters who are constantly getting invitiations for trials overseas. None of thes European clubs bother watching NPFL players, primarily because they don't measure up. Those clubs would rather invest in kids who have greater upswing, hence the focus on Academy players.

Now if this is the case, then why on earth should Rohr even bother looking at NPFL players either?
Enugu II wrote: Mystic,

Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Bell

THE WAY I SEE IT...

Bell
Then you are at odds with those spoiling your argument.
If it is strictly about 'fixing the grassroots', then the deate will be a little more straightforward.
Whether the NFF is or should be in a position to 'fix' the grassroots nationwide in isolation of the state and local government authorities is another facet of the debate.
Where does the reach of the NFF stop and the state's and LG's start?

I would actually like to know. :idea:
STATE & LOCAL GOVTs ARE THERE TO HELP

Pinnick should be the point man. I'd enjoy that role.
Bell