The Imposition of Home based players in SE...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Imposition of Home based players in SE...

Post by metalalloy »

Otitokoro wrote:Prof, if I may...

Which young NPFL keepers are you referring to?
Over the past couple of years, at some point in time or the other, we have heard about the likes of Agbim, Femi Thomas, Aflelokhai and Femi Kayode being listed as the best keepers in the NPFL. We all saw how they performed on the international stage - Agbim (mediocre CHAN performance), Femi Thomas (uninspiring performance during NIG vs Atletico Madrid), Aflelokhai (Poor WAFU cup performance) and Femi Kayode (decent performance during CAF Cup). None of these guys are young (all carry an x factor, in addition to their decleared ages). Also, Ezenwa (now 28) has shown he is not as good as Akpeyi (who, by the way, is also a foreign based player). Not only that, in spite of being in the National set up all these years, he continued to play second fiddle to the Ghanaian Keeper at his club Enyimba during his tenure there.

The truth is the 'hope' for the future lies within our Academies (and not the NPFL). They churn out a lot of youngsters who are constantly getting invitiations for trials overseas. None of thes European clubs bother watching NPFL players, primarily because they don't measure up. Those clubs would rather invest in kids who have greater upswing, hence the focus on Academy players.

Now if this is the case, then why on earth should Rohr even bother looking at NPFL players either?
Enugu II wrote: Mystic,

Obviously, you are not aware of local goalkeepers. But let me skip that.

The answer is simple, There are 20 starting goalkeepers in the Nigerian league. Several who have come up from the junior ranks as well. To now tell me that a third division goalkeeper in the German semi-pro is better than all these guys is really unbelievable. It is obviously the fact that he isn't ready that Nigeria has spent time sending its coaches to help prepare and train him. That, in my opinion, is ridiculous We have been repeatedly told that local players cannot be invited to the national camp because such a camp is not for grooming players but yet we have seen it for two goalkeepers who were both identified overseas. Why isn't that grooming extended also to young goalkeepers who are located locally? Better still, why not identify established goalkeepers from the NPFL?
Its quite unfair to judge these keepers after one games each and behind quite shaky players. Apart from Agbim, i dont believe the others have played for the main SE teams. Using your criteria, Uzoho would have been dropped a long time ago as he had multiple jittery games where he was poor as well.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:Sorry Enugu II but you are yarning nonsense.
Mystic,

So in your mind Maduka Okoye is one of Nigeria's best goalies when he was called up to the NT? Can you please explain how you reached that conclusion?

I'll throw the question right back at you. Which goalkeeper in the Nigerian league (or anywhere else for that matter) should have been called up in his stead?

If you answer this question honestly, you will have essentially answered the question that you put to me.
Mystic,

The answer is simple, There are 20 starting goalkeepers in the Nigerian league. Several who have come up from the junior ranks as well. To now tell me that a third division goalkeeper in the German semi-pro is better than all these guys is really unbelievable. It is obviously the fact that he isn't ready that Nigeria has spent time sending its coaches to help prepare and train him. That, in my opinion, is ridiculous We have been repeatedly told that local players cannot be invited to the national camp because such a camp is not for grooming players but yet we have seen it for two goalkeepers who were both identified overseas. Why isn't that grooming extended also to young goalkeepers who are located locally? Better still, why not identify established goalkeepers from the NPFL?
4th Division*
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Over the past couple of years, at some point in time or the other, we have heard about the likes of Agbim, Femi Thomas, Aflelokhai and Femi Kayode being listed as the best keepers in the NPFL. We all saw how they performed on the international stage - Agbim (mediocre CHAN performance), Femi Thomas (uninspiring performance during NIG vs Atletico Madrid), Aflelokhai (Poor WAFU cup performance) and Femi Kayode (decent performance during CAF Cup). None of these guys are young (all carry an x factor, in addition to their decleared ages). Also, Ezenwa (now 28) has shown he is not as good as Akpeyi (who, by the way, is also a foreign based player). Not only that, in spite of being in the National set up all these years, he continued to play second fiddle to the Ghanaian Keeper at his club Enyimba during his tenure there.

The truth is the 'hope' for the future lies within our Academies (and not the NPFL). They churn out a lot of youngsters who are constantly getting invitiations for trials overseas. None of thes European clubs bother watching NPFL players, primarily because they don't measure up. Those clubs would rather invest in kids who have greater upswing, hence the focus on Academy players.

Now if this is the case, then why on earth should Rohr even bother looking at NPFL players either?

Otitokoro,

Your post here clearly exposes the point that I make. You list goalkeepers that were prevalent FIVE YEARS AGO! NPFL is not static. Just as players come and go in football in England, China, Brazil, and elsewhere they also come and go in Nigeria. We should not be warped in a time capsule.

This is 2020 and we are talking about NPFL goalkeepers in 2020. You apparently are not aware of them but that does not mean that they do not exist. There are 20 clubs at the top level in the NPFL snd they call have goalkeepers who play regularly when the league is on. The fact that you do not know them matter very little. I understand because you, just like many of us, watch European soccer ONLY. But be rest assured that there is top division soccer played in Nigeria and each of those teams has a goalkeeper. You need not know them. After all, who knew Maduka Okoye until Rohr called him up? Maybe if such was extended to local players you may yet learn to know about Abayomi Folarin (MFM), Abdil-lateef Ishola (Kwara United), Ibrahim Pius (Wikki), Olorunleke Ojo (Sunshine), Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba) Bulus Pwadadi (Adamwa Utd), or Uche Okafor (Abia Warriors). Hopefully, you recognize some old names among those that I have listed. I just identified a few goalkeepers and not necessarily the best in the league but to simply point to an existent pool of goalies who play week in and week out and not having to depend on a foreign-based goalie having his behind warm on a bench on a weekly basis.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Enugu II wrote:

Otitokoro,

Your post here clearly exposes the point that I make. You list goalkeepers that were prevalent FIVE YEARS AGO! NPFL is not static. Just as players come and go in football in England, China, Brazil, and elsewhere they also come and go in Nigeria. We should not be warped in a time capsule.

This is 2020 and we are talking about NPFL goalkeepers in 2020. You apparently are not aware of them but that does not mean that they do not exist. There are 20 clubs at the top level in the NPFL snd they call have goalkeepers who play regularly when the league is on. The fact that you do not know them matter very little. I understand because you, just like many of us, watch European soccer ONLY. But be rest assured that there is top division soccer played in Nigeria and each of those teams has a goalkeeper. You need not know them. After all, who knew Maduka Okoye until Rohr called him up? Maybe if such was extended to local players you may yet learn to know about Abayomi Folarin (MFM), Abdil-lateef Ishola (Kwara United), Ibrahim Pius (Wikki), Olorunleke Ojo (Sunshine), Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba) Bulus Pwadadi (Adamwa Utd), or Uche Okafor (Abia Warriors). Hopefully, you recognize some old names among those that I have listed. I just identified a few goalkeepers and not necessarily the best in the league but to simply point to an existent pool of goalies who play week in and week out and not having to depend on a foreign-based goalie having his behind warm on a bench on a weekly basis.
All you guys make good arguments but i think i am with the Prof here. It makes no sense to spend so much resources developing a semi-professional goalkeeper and not giving the same opportunities to 1 or 2 young local 'keepers'.
YNWA
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

heavyd wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Otitokoro,

All you guys make good arguments but i think i am with the Prof here. It makes no sense to spend so much resources developing a semi-professional goalkeeper and not giving the same opportunities to 1 or 2 young local 'keepers'.
I agree with Prof, that the same opportunities given to Maduka Okoye should have been extended to promising young goalkeepers in the local league. I believe that U23 goalkeeper at the U23 AFCON, can be given the same opportunities.
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote:I agree with Prof, that the same opportunities given to Maduka Okoye should have been extended to promising young goalkeepers in the local league. I believe that U23 goalkeeper at the U23 AFCON, can be given the same opportunities.
Rather than this ¨agreement and extending the same opportunities¨ talk!

Tell Adelakun to upgrade his special software to capture GKs in the league. That would be a good start.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
Dammy wrote:I agree with Prof, that the same opportunities given to Maduka Okoye should have been extended to promising young goalkeepers in the local league. I believe that U23 goalkeeper at the U23 AFCON, can be given the same opportunities.

Tell Adelakun to upgrade his special software to capture GKs in the league. That would be a good start.
OK, I go tell am!
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote:
fabio wrote:

OK, I go tell am!
Thank you, Dammy :thumb:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
Dammy wrote:
fabio wrote:

OK, I go tell am!
Thank you, Dammy :thumb:
No problem bro, I'm always here for you.
I am happy
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

So in your mind Maduka Okoye is one of Nigeria's best goalies when he was called up to the NT? Can you please explain how you reached that conclusion?

I'll throw the question right back at you. Which goalkeeper in the Nigerian league (or anywhere else for that matter) should have been called up in his stead?

If you answer this question honestly, you will have essentially answered the question that you put to me.
Mystic,

All I need from you is one name of a goalkeeper in the Nigerian league or otherwise that deserves an opportunity in his stead. After that we can ascertain whether or not I am familiar with local goalkeepers.
Mystic,

I am not here to do your homework. You can name, as a matter of fact any one can, these goalies by simply checking the web. However, I am not about to do it at your behest.

The basic point is we have as many goalies as are top division teams in the Nigerian league. That is what you need to know. If Rohr was bringing in an established goalie from Europe, perhaps one could understand the reasoning. Instead, he has plucked a third division guy to be trained (at the national team level!) and we now know that Rohr's crew claim that there are no data on local players. A convenient excuse not to identify one of the starting goalkeepers at the top division level in Nigeria. Of course, as soon as Rohr identifies this semi-pro in Germany, the clubs dream dollars and are quick to promote him with profit in mind at a later date. Tomorrow. we will claim "Rohr identified him and developed him. See, he is now playing at the top level!" Give me a break!!!
EII,

The problem you have is the evidence in front of our eyes!

We have seen many of these HB GKs and they lack the standard for the NT, which is not where they should be trained.

Take the clown Ezenwa. Like most HB GKs he has sharp reflexes- and that is pretty much it. His decision making is in the gutter; his focus is ADHD level; his timing is atrocious. In short, he's garbage!

That is the stale bag of goods you want to sell us? Seriously?

B/c its such a specialist position, you will not find many African GKs in Europe, which is why Rohr's decisions in this area are understandable.

Your advocacy IMO is misguided.

The focus should be on how to improve local GKs and other HB players and raise their standards, an issue which ironically you have always pooh poohed, claiming that the development standards in the domestic game is good where it clearly is not....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

Mystic,

All I need from you is one name of a goalkeeper in the Nigerian league or otherwise that deserves an opportunity in his stead. After that we can ascertain whether or not I am familiar with local goalkeepers.
Mystic,

I am not here to do your homework. You can name, as a matter of fact any one can, these goalies by simply checking the web. However, I am not about to do it at your behest.

The basic point is we have as many goalies as are top division teams in the Nigerian league. That is what you need to know. If Rohr was bringing in an established goalie from Europe, perhaps one could understand the reasoning. Instead, he has plucked a third division guy to be trained (at the national team level!) and we now know that Rohr's crew claim that there are no data on local players. A convenient excuse not to identify one of the starting goalkeepers at the top division level in Nigeria. Of course, as soon as Rohr identifies this semi-pro in Germany, the clubs dream dollars and are quick to promote him with profit in mind at a later date. Tomorrow. we will claim "Rohr identified him and developed him. See, he is now playing at the top level!" Give me a break!!!
EII,

We have seen many of these HB GKs and they lack the standard for the NT, which is not where they should be trained.

Take the clown Ezenwa. Like most HB GKs he has sharp reflexes- and that is pretty much it. His decision making is in the gutter; his focus is ADHD level; his timing is atrocious. In short, he's garbage!

B/c its such a specialist position, you will not find many African GKs in Europe, which is why Rohr's decisions in this area are understandable.

The focus should be on how to improve local GKs and other HB players and raise their standards, an issue which ironically you have always pooh poohed, claiming that the development standards in the domestic game is good where it clearly is not....
You and Pinnick are twins.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

Mystic,

Mystic,

EII,

WHILE AGREEING WITH THE NEED TO DEVELOP HB PLAYERS...

...I'd say the league is not the right place to develop them - it might be too late then. They should be identified early in HS and brought along as part of a national team program.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Again, I feel this debate is not an honest one.
Rohr's cardinal sin currently appears to be heavily anchored on his decision to snap up and groom GK rookies Uzoho and Okoye from '3rd division-level football', rather than recruit any (young?) local goalies from the NPFL.

This argument is then extended to apply to other local players, claiming they are equally being neglected.

I don't think there is any debate that our GK dilemma is a very critical and peculiar one is there?
With no 'depth chart' of significance and Ezenwa and Akpeyi holding fort for now, shouldn't it be about finding future prospects that are likely to yield the highest dividends medium to long term?
Should it then matter where they come from?
Isn't this the coach's prerogative?

Why would I invest my time and resources on a kid that has - in my view - less potential than another elsewhere? The only reason I would do that would be for sentimental reasons eg. sponsoring a kid from my old school rather than an even better kid from CIC or Finbarr's or Edo College. :idea:

But there is no room for sentiment in football. Are we asking for sentimental invitations to the SE? Okoye that is the focus of all this angst is already getting trials in top leagues. That is not Rohr's doing. That is because he has been identified as a potentially great young goalie. If he is no good, he will go nowhere.

And anyway, what is a national coach's primary role?
To develop SE talent, or to spot and recruit them?

If there is a dearth as there OBVIOUSLY is in the GK position, then developing might become a matter of expedience, but it should be the exception rather than the rule.
Why should we therefore make a BIG issue of this as if it should be standard practise across the whole team?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:EII,

And your problem is that you cannot seem to make up your mind!

One moment you are explaining how the limitations in the development of HB players makes them not up to NT standard. Next moment you are joining the bandwagon for tacit HB quotas.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell wrote:
txj wrote:Your advocacy IMO is misguided.

WHILE AGREEING WITH THE NEED TO DEVELOP HB PLAYERS...

...I'd say the league is not the right place to develop them - it might be too late then. They should be identified early in HS and brought along as part of a national team program.
Bell
If the domestic league is not the right place to develop players, we might as well pack it up and go home!

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

One moment you are explaining how the limitations in the development of HB players makes them not up to NT standard. Next moment you are joining the bandwagon for tacit HB quotas.
No, bra, I am consistent.

As a fan, I recognize the challenge for both management and the players.

If I were in management, I will have as part of my charge, providing a platform for HOPE. To give homebased players the hope that they don't have to go overseas, some starting with backwater leagues as they try to make their way to a platform where they will become attractive to the National team players.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Damunk wrote:Again, I feel this debate is not an honest one.
Rohr's cardinal sin currently appears to be heavily anchored on his decision to snap up and groom GK rookies Uzoho and Okoye from '3rd division-level football', rather than recruit any (young?) local goalies from the NPFL.

This argument is then extended to apply to other local players, claiming they are equally being neglected.

I don't think there is any debate that our GK dilemma is a very critical and peculiar one is there?
With no 'depth chart' of significance and Ezenwa and Akpeyi holding fort for now, shouldn't it be about finding future prospects that are likely to yield the highest dividends medium to long term?
Should it then matter where they come from?
Isn't this the coach's prerogative?

Why would I invest my time and resources on a kid that has - in my view - less potential than another elsewhere? The only reason I would do that would be for sentimental reasons eg. sponsoring a kid from my old school rather than an even better kid from CIC or Finbarr's or Edo College. :idea:

But there is no room for sentiment in football. Are we asking for sentimental invitations to the SE? Okoye that is the focus of all this angst is already getting trials in top leagues. That is not Rohr's doing. That is because he has been identified as a potentially great young goalie. If he is no good, he will go nowhere.

And anyway, what is a national coach's primary role?
To develop SE talent, or to spot and recruit them?

If there is a dearth as there OBVIOUSLY is in the GK position, then developing might become a matter of expedience, but it should be the exception rather than the rule.
Why should we therefore make a BIG issue of this as if it should be standard practise across the whole team?
It’s a debate that is being made in bad faith.

The GK position offers very, very few opportunities for foreign players in Europe hence the likelihood that the bar for selecting such players from the FB legion would likely be lower than normal.

While I fully agree that we should drop the crop of HB GKs being constantly recycled in favor of younger, promising ones, the key issue remains the inability of the local game to develop players, including GKs.

Just watch the youth teams or any NPFL games, the pattern is one of goal stoppers, with raw skills and instinctive play. That’s what the focus of advocacy should be.

If you have to invest any effort in developing a player as a NT manager, would you choose a player in Europe who is getting quality training or one in the NPFL who is not?

shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

If I were in management, I will have as part of my charge, providing a platform for HOPE. To give homebased players the hope that they don't have to go overseas, some starting with backwater leagues as they try to make their way to a platform where they will become attractive to the National team players.
Oga Cellu

I agree that the management suck, and perhaps a reflection on the environment (which should not even be an excuse for good management)

Per the highlight though ?
Are you saying the home based players leave naija and travel all the way to Azerbaijan, fernado po, etc, and basically take a pay cut, just to get noticed by the SE manager ?

You think the motivation is not more about finances ? Just asking, as I am not in the players mind or position :taunt:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

shaq wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Oga Cellu

I agree that the management suck, and perhaps a reflection on the environment (which should not even be an excuse for good management)

Are you saying the home based players leave naija and travel all the way to Azerbaijan, fernado po, etc, and basically take a pay cut, just to get noticed by the SE manager ?

You think the motivation is not more about finances ? Just asking, as I am not in the players mind or position :taunt:
Of course it is.
Those that think that simply going abroad will get them noticed by the SE have got it twisted.
If that were simply the case, the likes of Egwueke, Oboabona and Mba, all AFCON winning heroes, should still be part of the national picture....or at least should have been for a few years after.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Damunk wrote:
shaq wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Oga Cellu

Of course it is.
Those that think that simply going abroad will get them noticed by the SE have got it twisted.
If that were simply the case, the likes of Egwueke, Oboabona and Mba, all AFCON winning heroes, should still be part of the national picture....or at least should have been for a few years after.

Its an argument that is not only lacking in evidence, but in common sense!

Players go abroad to improve themselves- first economically and 2nd football wise.

It is the improvement in standard that gets them to the NT.

If the NPFL was at the same level as the MLS (yes MLS), there will be HB players in the starting squad...

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

MYSTIC:
Sorry, but EII is dead right on this one...

But if Maduka had been called-up by an IC...
Corruption would have been the precipitous charge! SMH :roll:

Hoping Maduka goes on to become a bonafide international GK...
But anyone with a shred of honesty would phrase that in FUTURE tense!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Exactly! As opposed to the superlative tournament performances of Uzoho/Akpeyi...SMH :roll:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

shaq wrote:Oga Cellu

Are you saying the home based players leave naija and travel all the way to Azerbaijan, fernado po, etc, and take a pay cut, just to get noticed by the SE manager ?

Perhaps not, but they are far MORE LIKELY to be noticed there...
Remember that "Scout" Tunde Adelekan's special PC program doesn't work in Nigeria! :lol: :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL