Rohr mandated to win ANC 2021 or be terminated ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr mandated to win ANC 2021 or be terminated ?

Post by fabio »

ahidjo2 wrote:
Sorry, sir. Only incompetent African coaches do this or believe that there are no standard criteria for selecting players. There is a reason why data for players are collected. Even at the high school levels in developed nations, coaches use these data to make informed coaching decisions. Coaching has gone scientific and every decision is evidence or fact-based. That means that there must be standard metrics or factors that influence decisions such as the selection of players for certain positions. Contrary to your erroneous assertion, results alone do not or should not determine how good a coach is. There are numerous variables that should influence that assessment just like most science-based decisions...I do not know what you mean by objective (that has no place in scientific assessment) neither do I know where you got 6 years from
There is no need for sweeping generalisation... only incompetent African coaches do or believe.

Let´s get something straight. What is Rohr preference for strikers and Gk: Tall. Would you describe Rohr as incompetent.
“And Paul Onuachu will play at least 45 minutes also, or even more. We are searching for a player of his profile; tall, he is more than two metres high, good with the head.https://punchng.com/onuachus-height-thrills-rohr/
Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr is reportedly doing his all to get Bayern 6’4 tall striker Joshua Orobosa Zirkzee for Nigeria.https://sportsration.com/gernot-rohr-ey ... r-nigeria/
Rohr is looking for an alternative with a ‘different profile’; a category the 6’7 24-year-old falls.https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/nigeria ... thigei37ri
Onuachu in the mind of Rohr gives the team another way to play due to his physical presence and height which means he can help when they want to vary their play by using aerial balls mainly against opponents with not too tall defenders.https://www.von.gov.ng/why-rohr-prefers ... ualifiers/
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
ahidjo2 wrote:
Sorry, sir. Only incompetent African coaches do this or believe that there are no standard criteria for selecting players. There is a reason why data for players are collected. Even at the high school levels in developed nations, coaches use these data to make informed coaching decisions. Coaching has gone scientific and every decision is evidence or fact-based. That means that there must be standard metrics or factors that influence decisions such as the selection of players for certain positions. Contrary to your erroneous assertion, results alone do not or should not determine how good a coach is. There are numerous variables that should influence that assessment just like most science-based decisions...I do not know what you mean by objective (that has no place in scientific assessment) neither do I know where you got 6 years from
There is no need for sweeping generalisation... only incompetent African coaches do or believe.

Let´s get something straight. What is Rohr preference for strikers and Gk: Tall. Would you describe Rohr as incompetent.
“And Paul Onuachu will play at least 45 minutes also, or even more. We are searching for a player of his profile; tall, he is more than two metres high, good with the head.https://punchng.com/onuachus-height-thrills-rohr/
Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr is reportedly doing his all to get Bayern 6’4 tall striker Joshua Orobosa Zirkzee for Nigeria.https://sportsration.com/gernot-rohr-ey ... r-nigeria/
Rohr is looking for an alternative with a ‘different profile’; a category the 6’7 24-year-old falls.https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/nigeria ... thigei37ri
Onuachu in the mind of Rohr gives the team another way to play due to his physical presence and height which means he can help when they want to vary their play by using aerial balls mainly against opponents with not too tall defenders.https://www.von.gov.ng/why-rohr-prefers ... ualifiers/
Chief, 'tallness' is not Rohr's only criterion for a SE striker.

Firstly, 'Tallestman' Onuachu has been dropped and deservedly so.
Secondly our current strike force is actually quite short: Moses (5'6"), Musa (5'8"), Chukwueze (5'8"), Kalu (5'9"), even fringe players like Bonaventure and Onyekuru are both only 5'9" "tall".
'Golden Boot' Ighalo was under 6' at 5'11".
Thirdly, only Osimhen and Dessers in the current strike force (both 6'1") can be considered "tall".

So your theory doesn't stand up to close scrutiny.
It could be that Rohr is acutely aware of this... 'shortcoming'... and is looking for an additional 'tall' and deserving striker to complement the squad and allow for aerial options if and when necessary.
Surely, that is not a bad thing, is it? :idea:

As for tall 'keepers, I don't think there is any need for disagreement on that.

I agree with you that ahidjo2 shouldn't be making sweeping generalisations about African coaches.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:
ahidjo2 wrote:

Secondly our current strike force is actually quite short: Moses (5'6"), Musa (5'8"), Chukwueze (5'8"), Kalu (5'9"), even fringe players like Bonaventure and Onyekuru are both only 5'9" "tall".
Thirdly, only Osimhen and Dessers in the current strike force (both 6'1") can be considered "tall".

It could be that Rohr is acutely aware of this... 'shortcoming'... and is looking for an additional 'tall' and deserving striker to complement the squad and allow for aerial options if and when necessary.

I agree with you that ahidjo2 shouldn't be making sweeping generalisations about African coaches.
You get time doctor!
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:
ahidjo2 wrote:

It would be nice to stick to the crux of the debate and not shift the goalpost or change the scope.

I said Striker, striker, striker and striker aka no9, :!: not striker force :sneaky:

A strike force can consist of all your players or a selected number of players.

The scope was narrowed down to Striker. i.e Simy" Tochukwu Nwankwo and Onuachue etc. Apart from the strikers Rohr met in the national. Do you know any non tall striker (Musa height) that Rohr has capped (please don´t count exhibition matches). Let´s stick to striker, not striker force or winger, wingback or support strikers :sneaky:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:
ahidjo2 wrote:

It would be nice to stick to the crux of the debate and not shift the goalpost or change the scope.

I said Striker, striker, striker and striker aka no9, :!: not striker force :sneaky:

A strike force can consist of all your players or a selected number of players.

The scope was narrowed down to Striker. i.e Simy" Tochukwu Nwankwo and Onuachue etc. Apart from the strikers Rohr met in the national. Do you know any non tall striker (Musa height) that Rohr has capped (please don´t count exhibition matches). Let´s stick to striker, not striker force or winger, wingback or support strikers :sneaky:
You are trying to be clever by half.
Since when did the term 'striker' refer exclusively to "no 9''?
Don't take us for fools abeg, Fabio.
Don't even go there. :roll:
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

ahidjo2 wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
ahidjo2 wrote: I don't think anybody is doubting the commonsensical comment about coaches having the prerogative to choose the "best among equals". Keshi's reign was littered with dubious, questionable, and outright fraudulent selections. As I mentioned, I want to respect the dead otherwise I would have specifically reminded you of how certain misfits featured prominently for the Super Eagles during his reign. Your idea of meeting team's objective is neither here nor there. It was simply his selfish objective and that is why you don't see us questioning the present coach's selection
There is no standard objective selection metrics. That's why different coaches will prefer different players. So Keshi may actually prefer those 'misfits' for whatever reason.

The only objective metrics of judging a coach is RESULT! Considering the conditions under which the coaches have worked, asking Rohr to win the ANC after 6 years on the saddle is not out of place. How many years should we give him to win the ANC? What should be the target for the WC? And please let us use OBJECTIVE metrics that will be devoid of emotions
Herein lies the problem. 'Incompetent' coaches win trophies but competent ones just go for exhibition.

An objective assessment means we all will arrive at the same answer. A subjective assessment implies that with same data we will arrive at different conclusions.

Since it is erroneous to judge a coach by his results can you list what you will use to judge a coach?

I remember how Berti stash was judged by the T shirts and massage ability!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

We keep talking about how Keshi won AFCON without including the fact that he FAILED TO QUALIFY for the next.

That clearly suggests there was a very poor foundation under whatever he built, and frankly suggests that a lot of luck may have been responsible for his win in the first place. It certainly wasn't a convincing display by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention that African powers like Egypt, Senegal, and Cameroon did not even participate, and Algeria had yet to fully recruit all their french players, so it was a much weaker field.

The same can also be said about our world cup 2nd round appearance.

Not only were we lucky to land in virtually the easiest group in that world cup (while Rohr had literally the oppisite) but the ref helped us to beat Bosnia with a poor decision which would have been nullified by VAR.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Vancity,

You forget the history behind not qualifying for the next AFCON by Keshi. That history is important. The incoming NFF administration was directly culpable in the team not being able to quality. I remind you because you appear to have conveniently forgotten that. That is recent history and you certainly must be aware of it. It cannot be ignored. Keshi's record is not happenstance. Not only did he win the AFCON, he reached the final 16 of the World Cup with Nigeria, placed third in the continent in competition against all other local African teams in the local Africa Cup, took an unheralded Togo to a World Cup qualification.

Now, we are celebrating Rohr getting to the AFCON after Nigeria failing the previous series from qualifying. Yet, we forget Keshi won the AFCON after Nigeria failed to qualify for the previous AFCON if my memory serves me correctly.

The fact is that no coach of Nigeria, bar Westerhoff, has achieved more.
vancity eagle wrote:We keep talking about how Keshi won AFCON without including the fact that he FAILED TO QUALIFY for the next.

That clearly suggests there was a very poor foundation under whatever he built, and frankly suggests that a lot of luck may have been responsible for his win in the first place. It certainly wasn't a convincing display by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention that African powers like Egypt, Senegal, and Cameroon did not even participate, and Algeria had yet to fully recruit all their french players, so it was a much weaker field.

Not only were we lucky to land in virtually the easiest group in that world cup (while Rohr had literally the oppisite) but the ref helped us to beat Bosnia with a poor decision which would have been nullified by VAR.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:Vancity,

You forget the history behind not qualifying for the next AFCON by Keshi. That history is important. The incoming NFF administration was directly culpable in the team not being able to quality. I remind you because you appear to have conveniently forgotten that. That is recent history and you certainly must be aware of it. It cannot be ignored. Keshi's record is not happenstance. Not only did he win the AFCON, he reached the final 16 of the World Cup with Nigeria, placed third in the continent in competition against all other local African teams in the local Africa Cup, took an unheralded Togo to a World Cup qualification.

Now, we are celebrating Rohr getting to the AFCON after Nigeria failing the previous series from qualifying. Yet, we forget Keshi won the AFCON after Nigeria failed to qualify for the previous AFCON if my memory serves me correctly.

vancity eagle wrote:We keep talking about how Keshi won AFCON without including the fact that he FAILED TO QUALIFY for the next.

:clap: :clap: :clap: The guys wowo-ism is just too much. He is the last person qualified to speak on Keshi/Nigerian coaches, he knows his obvious bias yet can't refrain himself from spewing hot garhhhbarge...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Absolute nonsense.

Cameroon that was about to boycott won the ANC 2017.

Stop making excuses, Keshi had 3 years to build a team. He built on a foundation of corruption. NFF doesn't suddenly make a team play like crap. His team sucked because they were comfortable, because there was no competition, because other than the starting 11 it was all based on corruption.

Nobody is to blame but himself, you cannot blame NFF, that is such a cop out.

Was the NFF also at fault for his piss poor run at the confederations cup ?

He was his own worst enemy and your bias is preventing u from seeing it.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

maceo4 wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: The guys wowo-ism is just too much. He is the last person qualified to speak on Keshi/Nigerian coaches, he knows his obvious bias yet can't refrain himself from spewing hot garhhhbarge...
Historical perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoD_9jS_RDI[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r0R06lVBQM[/video]
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Pinnick has confirmed that the target is for Rohr to win AFCON, and that if SE should fail to win, Rohrs fate will be dependent on how the team played. Pinnick even referred to "the football artistry"

So as I said, and which is the smart thing to do, if the team plays well, Rohr will continue.

But I do expect some short sighted anti-Rohr folk to make noise about their wishes for him to be fired should we fail to win.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

I did this report just after the afcon in 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAVWNoLYOEI
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote:

Absolute nonsense.

Stop making excuses, Keshi had 3 years to build a team. He built on a foundation of corruption. NFF doesn't suddenly make a team play like crap. His team sucked because they were comfortable, because there was no competition, because other than the starting 11 it was all based on corruption.

You are really a shameless and dangerous somebody.

You were the clown that placed a bet against Naija against your team, CIV.
You were not here when the NFF checked them out of the hotel leading into that game against CIV?
You were not here when the team now refused to board the plane to Brazil for the Confederation cup because they were owed money?
You were not here when the team became a casualty of the in-fighting in the NFF?
You were not here when he was fired and re-hired because of Presidential interference?

Keshi's crime, in my opinion, was letting the typical NFF shenanigans get the better of him. I guess he got old and tired of fighting.

Any time I see your posts, I get so angry... I get angry because it was people like you that killed Keshi. Nothing he could've done would have satisfied you people. Because the self-hate is something he couldn't cure you people of.

Today, you are making excuses for a coach who is yet to achieve the things you denigrated Keshi about. While making excuses for the choice of players he took to major tournaments without achieving what Keshi achieved.

CyberEagles should not let you keep making such asinine statements without people putting the record straight.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Vancity,

Unfortunately, it is more likely that your claim is nonsense in the terms that it makes very little sense. It isn't rocket science that no coach wins every competition. Coaches, however, are judged by winning a trophy or more. Keshi won the AFCON. The fact that he lost the next one is rather irrelevant. Same as Westerhoff winning one AFCON even though he lost others. Same as Otto Gloria winning one AFGCON even though he lost the next. The difference between those three and Rohr is that all three were champions, at some time, of Africa. Rohr has not become champion just yet and must therefore rank behind all those three names. That is the difference.

Hopefully, you can understand that.
vancity eagle wrote:

Absolute nonsense.

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote:

You were not here when the NFF checked them out of the hotel leading into that game against CIV?
You were not here when the team now refused to board the plane to Brazil for the Confederation cup because they were owed money?
You were not here when the team became a casualty of the in-fighting in the NFF?
You were not here when he was fired and re-hired because of Presidential interference?

Keshi's crime, in my opinion, was letting the typical NFF shenanigans get the better of him. I guess he got old and tired of fighting.

Any time I see your posts, I get so angry... I get angry because it was people like you that killed Keshi. Nothing he could've done would have satisfied you people. Because the self-hate is something he couldn't cure you people of.

Today, you are making excuses for a coach who is yet to achieve the things you denigrated Keshi about. While making excuses for the choice of players he took to major tournaments without achieving what Keshi achieved.

CyberEagles should not let you keep making such asinine statements without people putting the record straight.
:clap: :clap: Nothing more to add.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Absolute nonsense.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: That Damunk is buddying up with this shameless wowo is quite baffling....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: That Damunk is buddying up with this shameless wowo is quite baffling....
I don't get you sometimes.
Do you have sworn 'enemies' on CE?
Do you have people on CE that you MUST oppose no matter their position?

So someone takes a stand on something, but because you have never agreed with their position in the past, or just don't like the person, you take an opposite stance despite the fact that your views on that particular issue are aligned?

What has VanCity's past got to do with the fact that our views are aligned on this issue?
He is against the instant sacking of Rohr if he doesn't win AFCON next year.
I happen to hold a similar view and you have my reasons.
KINDLY TELL ME WHAT IS BAFFLING YOU ON THAT. :idea:

So I should now take a different position because what? Because I agree with VanCity? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Me, I don't do CE politics o. I have no beef and no enemies that I feel I have to oppose because of who they are, come what may.

Na una sabi weytin dey worry una.

This place is a virtual space. Its not real.
So what's with the permanent friend and foe mentality? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk projecting his feelings all over CE....anyone who chooses to keep manager who fails to win anything for 5 years is corrupt..it is all about winning....now these jokers are talking about playing well as a yardstick to keep ones job..h
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Damunk projecting his feelings all over CE....anyone who chooses to keep manager who fails to win anything for 5 years is corrupt..it is all about winning....now these jokers are talking about playing well as a yardstick to keep ones job..h
You are the one person that does NOT surprise me when you set up lies and straw men to make your point.
From six and a half years down to six years, it is now "five" years, abi?.
We are getting there small-small. :D

When you were failing your 'O' level English, Maths and RK (even after repeated attempts and extensive prayers of 'deliverance'), nobody stopped paying your school fees.
They took into consideration how that small 'shewens' serving kpomo at your local Mama Put was deliberately sabotaging your education. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

We must continue with Rohr regardless of results...
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Damunk projecting his feelings all over CE....anyone who chooses to keep manager who fails to win anything for 5 years is corrupt..it is all about winning....now these jokers are talking about playing well as a yardstick to keep ones job..h
You are the one person that does NOT surprise me when you set up lies and straw men to make your point.
From six and a half years down to six years, it is now "five" years, abi?.
We are getting there small-small. :D

When you were failing your 'O' level English, Maths and RK (even after repeated attempts and extensive prayers of 'deliverance'), nobody stopped paying your school fees.
They took into consideration how that small 'shewens' serving kpomo at your local Mama Put was deliberately sabotaging your education. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
what the heck is RK, and who took o-levels? focus and stop rewarding mediocrity
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

vancity eagle wrote:Pinnick has confirmed that the target is for Rohr to win AFCON, and that if SE should fail to win, Rohrs fate will be dependent on how the team played. Pinnick even referred to "the football artistry"

So as I said, and which is the smart thing to do, if the team plays well, Rohr will continue.

But I do expect some short sighted anti-Rohr folk to make noise about their wishes for him to be fired should we fail to win.
This makes sense. There is an element of Luck in tournaments. With a flip of the coin we would have beat Algeria in the last AFCON