Nigeria V Sierra Leone

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria V Sierra Leone

Post by Sir V »

Nigeria football team, FIFA World Cup 1st Rd qualifier against Sierra Leone, 30th Oct 1976, Stade Surulere, Lagos

Can anyone name the players (including the coaches) ?

[img]file:///C:/Users/user/Desktop/green--egles.jpg[/img]
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria V Sierra Leone

Post by waka-man »

I’ll start with the obvious:
Okala, top row, third from left
Chukwu, top row, third from right
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

I expect guys like Enugu11, Oloye and Gotti to name most of the players.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Sir V wrote:Nigeria football team, FIFA World Cup 1st Rd qualifier against Sierra Leone, 30th Oct 1976, Stade Surulere, Lagos

We wore a stripped Jersey in that game. The photo is not from the match against Sierra Leone
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Sir V wrote:Nigeria football team, FIFA World Cup 1st Rd qualifier against Sierra Leone, 30th Oct 1976, Stade Surulere, Lagos

Father Tiko, Baba #$%, Okalla, Ibeabuchi, Usiyen, Awesu, Ojebode, Adokiye, Odiye and Chukwu ( Standing L - R )
?, ?, Atuegbu, Odegbami, ?, Lawal and Zion ( Squatting )
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:

Father Tiko, Baba #$%, Okalla, Ibeabuchi, Usiyen, Awesu, Ojebode, Adokiye, Odiye and Chukwu ( Standing L - R )
Here is my list. I cannot see the guy on the extreme right whom Dammy identified as Chukwu. Thus, I am unable to name. But here are those who appear on my laptop. Must be the setting.

STANDING(L to R): Father Tiko, Anas Ahmed, Emma Okala, Kelechi Emeteole, Thompson Usiyan, Kunle Awesu, Sam Ojebode. (BELIEVE SOEONE IS TO THE EXT. RIGHT)

SQUATTING (L to R): Ignatius Ikechukwu, Chris Ogu, Aloysius Atuegbu, Segun Odegbami, Godwin Iwelumo.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Here is my list. I cannot see the guy on the extreme right whom Dammy identified as Chukwu. Thus, I am unable to name. But here are those who appear on my laptop. Must be the setting.

STANDING(L to R): Father Tiko, Anas Ahmed, Emma Okala, Kelechi Emeteole, Thompson Usiyan, Kunle Awesu, Sam Ojebode. (BELIEVE SOEONE IS TO THE EXT. RIGHT)

SQUATTING (L to R): Ignatius Ikechukwu, Chris Ogu, Aloysius Atuegbu, Segun Odegbami, Godwin Iwelumo.
EII,
Look like Baba #$% Mohammed standing next to Father Tiko, to me. On the extreme right which you are unable to see on laptop are CCC, Coach ?, and Coach Sam Garba.
Also squating, extreme right after Iwelumo is the late Muda, and Zion (according to Dammy).
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Dammy wrote:

We wore a stripped Jersey in that game. The photo is not from the match against Sierra Leone
The photo is from the match.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Sir V wrote:
Dammy wrote:

It's not from the Sierra Leone match because Johnny Egbuonu and Sylvanus Oriachi played that match that the GE won 6-2 in Lagos.
This photo is probably from the match against Ivory Coast in Lagos which we won 4-0.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Dammy wrote:

It's not from the Sierra Leone match because Johnny Egbuonu and Sylvanus Oriachi played that match that the GE won 6-2 in Lagos.
This photo is probably from the match against Ivory Coast in Lagos which we won 4-0.
Dammy,

Johny Egbuonu did not play in the 6-2 win over Sierra Leone if you are referring to the 1976 match. However, I agree that this picture is certainly not from that match given that the team wore the green and white stripe in that game and the team lineup of the starters here was the the list used for that 6-2 win. The list from the 6-2 win is below:

6-2 v Sierra Leone (10/30) Lagos, NIGERIA (10/30) WCQ
HT: 4-0 att: 25,996 G: 25th S. Odegbami, 26th
32nd Aly Atuegbu, 37th
T. Usiyan,63rd K. Emeteole,
79th K,. Awesu

Emmanuel Okala – Patrick Ekeji, Christian Chukwu (cpt), Godwin Odiye, Sam Ojebode – Christian Madu (46 Muda Lawal), Aloy Atuegbu, Kelechi Emeteole – Segun Odegbami, Thompson Usiyen* (74 Sylvanus Oriakhi), Kunle Awesu.

I thought the photo was from the 2-0 win over Sierra Leone in the next year but I hesitate to state that because there are guys in this photo that did not start in that 2-0 win either. Perhaps, someone else may have a more definitive answer.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

EII,

Looking at the flags in the picture, is that L-R, Ethiopia or Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Egypt?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Dammy,

Johny Egbuonu did not play in the 6-2 win over Sierra Leone if you are referring to the 1976 match. However, I agree that this picture is certainly not from that match given that the team wore the green and white stripe in that game and the team lineup of the starters here was the the list used for that 6-2 win. The list from the 6-2 win is below:

32nd Aly Atuegbu, 37th
79th K,. Awesu

Emmanuel Okala – Patrick Ekeji, Christian Chukwu (cpt), Godwin Odiye, Sam Ojebode – Christian Madu (46 Muda Lawal), Aloy Atuegbu, Kelechi Emeteole – Segun Odegbami, Thompson Usiyen* (74 Sylvanus Oriakhi), Kunle Awesu.

I thought the photo was from the 2-0 win over Sierra Leone in the next year but I hesitate to state that because there are guys in this photo that did not start in that 2-0 win either. Perhaps, someone else may have a more definitive answer.
Thanks Prof for the correction. I remember that a Rangers midfielder played that match, so it's probably Christian Madu rather than Dr Johnny.
Please which match did Johnny Egbuonu play for Nigeria?
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Dammy,

32nd Aly Atuegbu, 37th
79th K,. Awesu

Thanks Prof for the correction. I remember that a Rangers midfielder played that match, so it's probably Christian Madu rather than Dr Johnny.
Please which match did Johnny Egbuonu play for Nigeria?
Egbuonu finished with 9 total games for Nigeria with 5 goals. All those internationals (i.e. v national teams) occurred prior to the Nigerian civil war. These are the games:

1/1/63 v Cameroon. - 1 goal
2/2/63 v Benin Rep (Dahomey) -- 2 goals
2/24/63 v Ghana
2/28/63 v Senegal
4/12/63 v Niger Rep
12/27/64 v Togo. -- 1 goal
12/29/64 v U/Volta (B/Faso) -- 1 goal
1/1/55 v Niger Rep
1/2/65 v Benin Rep. (Dahomey)
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gadfly wrote:EII,

Looking at the flags in the picture, is that L-R, Ethiopia or Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Egypt?

Gadfly,

I will check later. I see the flags but they aren't clear from what I can see (No laff my komputa!). What throws me off is confirming these names we have with the starting line-ups that are in the records given that this picture more than likely is the picture of the starting team on that day.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Is that Bazuaye standing far right?
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

DIMKA76 wrote:Is that Bazuaye standing far right?
Yes my bro
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

The team is from left standing: Coach Jelisavic Tiko, Annas Ahmed, Emmanuel Okala, Kelechi Emetiole, Thompson Usiyen, Kunle Awesu, Sam Ojebode, Adokie Amiesimaka, Godwin Odiye, Christian Chukwu, Coach Ayo Salami, Coach Bazuaye.
Stooping are Francis Nwosu?, Chris Ogu, Alloysius Atuegbu, Segun Odegbami, Godwin Iwelumo, Muda Lawal and GK Godwin Efejukwu.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:
Yes my bro
Kai, my laptop don show me. I know even fit see far right oooo!
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Enugu II wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Yes my bro
I have forgotten how to reduce the photo size.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Sir V wrote:

The team is from left standing: Coach Jelisavic Tiko, Annas Ahmed, Emmanuel Okala, Kelechi Emetiole, Thompson Usiyen, Kunle Awesu, Sam Ojebode, Adokie Amiesimaka, Godwin Odiye, Christian Chukwu, Coach Ayo Salami, Coach Bazuaye.
Stooping are Francis Nwosu?, Chris Ogu, Alloysius Atuegbu, Segun Odegbami, Godwin Iwelumo, Muda Lawal and GK Godwin Efejukwu.
I always thought Iwelumo came into the national team after Usiyen departed for the United States.
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Yes my bro
I have forgotten how to reduce the photo size.
Sir V

No be only you. I need help from experts.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:
Sir V wrote:

I always thought Iwelumo came into the national team after Usiyen departed for the United States.

Iwelumo joined the team certainly after Usiyan and replaced Emeteole/Ilerika. When the team came of age in the AFCON of 1976, it was the tailed of Ilerika's career and Emeteole was gradually stepping in at the position until Iwelumo was discoed from Lagos ACB. Usiyan was still there as Iwelumo left for the USA. Shortly after, Usiyan also departed.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Sir V wrote:

Iwelumo joined the team certainly after Usiyan and replaced Emeteole/Ilerika. When the team came of age in the AFCON of 1976, it was the tailed of Ilerika's career and Emeteole was gradually stepping in at the position until Iwelumo was discoed from Lagos ACB. Usiyan was still there as Iwelumo left for the USA. Shortly after, Usiyan also departed.
John Nwadioha of Vasco Da Gama was another striker brought in to replace Usiyen.
I am happy