Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:50 am
Posts: 2647
Location: Nigeria
Quote:
“Despite being described as one of the greatest players and goal scorers in Nigeria’s football history, Teslim ‘Thunder’ Balogun, only scored 2 goals for Nigeria during his entire career. He scored both goals in a single match against Gold Coast (Ghana) in 1954.”
https://mathematical7.com/m7/what-do-yo ... ew_id=2404


Plus other interesting facts about Nigerian football


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 12293
Location: seattle
demystification

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:35 pm
Posts: 622
16. Sunday Oliseh, played 35 times, and scored only 2 goals during his entire career in the national team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:38 pm
Posts: 2649
That's surprising. With all the myths we heard growing up about his lethal shots.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 12293
Location: seattle
olu wrote:
That's surprising. With all the myths we heard growing up about his lethal shots.


not surprise at all; falls into case of 'seeing 2 balls' stories peddled in those days of no camera, no tv

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 49980
...he is famed for thunderous shots not scoring goals hence the name "Thunder". We heard his shots tear nets (that's side netting tear) :winking:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:29 am
Posts: 51513
mcal wrote:
...he is famed for thunderous shots not scoring goals hence the name "Thunder". We heard his shots tear nets (that's side netting tear) :winking:

Actually he take shot tear pesin belle

_________________
BADDEST JAM OF 2020 JUST LANDED!
TAKA! by Pa J..is available on major platforms
ITunes, Amazon, Google, Spotify and Youtube.
You can also get it at a discount directly on www.pa-jofficial.com
Thanks for you $upport and $hares


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:50 am
Posts: 2647
Location: Nigeria
gochino wrote:
16. Sunday Oliseh, played 35 times, and scored only 2 goals during his entire career in the national team.

One of which was the bulala against Spain in the 1998 world cup.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:50 am
Posts: 2647
Location: Nigeria
Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:38 pm
Posts: 2649
That surprises me about Madu. Isn't he meant to be a legend?

ukwala wrote:
Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 12293
Location: seattle
olu wrote:
That surprises me about Madu. Isn't he meant to be a legend?

ukwala wrote:
Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.


how did we start talking about goals scored and now to appearances by midfielders

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 47718
This is what happens when very very old people like yemibrassiere narrate eye witness accounts of games they saw in their 30s ...they make up and embellish the facts.

_________________
The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:50 am
Posts: 2647
Location: Nigeria
jette1 wrote:
olu wrote:
That surprises me about Madu. Isn't he meant to be a legend?

ukwala wrote:
Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.


how did we start talking about goals scored and now to appearances by midfielders



It’s all in the referenced Odegbami’s article, part of the “plus other interesting facts about Nigerian football”.
This post is not only about Thunder Balogun but the whole article by Odegbami. The title block can only take so many letters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:50 am
Posts: 2647
Location: Nigeria
olu wrote:
That surprises me about Madu. Isn't he meant to be a legend?

ukwala wrote:
Also surprising that Christian Madu, for all his trickery, and Taiwo Ogunjobi played only once each for the National team.


He is a legend who came back to Nigeria in his twilight years and had to contend with the sitting legend in Muda Lawal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:32 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 42322
Location: UK
paj wrote:
mcal wrote:
...he is famed for thunderous shots not scoring goals hence the name "Thunder". We heard his shots tear nets (that's side netting tear) :winking:

Actually he take shot tear pesin belle
That's the one I heard. :lol:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:09 pm
Posts: 30710
Image

_________________
Oya back to the matter
open and close


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 47718
Clearly these guys were in the 40s, yet were still under tutelage. Explains 3SC tutelage system...

Prince wrote:
Image

_________________
The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 12511
I get this feeling that the Yoruba/West would just be another Togo or Benin if it were not for Lagos, 1naija's people and Nigeria.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:09 pm
Posts: 30710
ANC wrote:
I get this feeling that the Yoruba/West would just be another Togo or Benin if it were not for Lagos, 1naija's people and Nigeria.

You mean the likes of Adebayor, Alaba etc would get a chance to play for Nigeria :sneaky: :sneaky: Just wondering what you mean

_________________
Oya back to the matter
open and close


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:03 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 6018
People said that Ghana won African Cup of Nations.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 87026
Location: Earth
Prince wrote:
ANC wrote:
I get this feeling that the Yoruba/West would just be another Togo or Benin if it were not for Lagos, 1naija's people and Nigeria.

You mean the likes of Adebayor, Alaba etc would get a chance to play for Nigeria :sneaky: :sneaky: Just wondering what you mean

don't mind that ghanian

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18132
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
I am surprised by the comments made here. It only shows how much many do not know about Nigeria's football history. First of all, Balogun played in only 11 games for Nigeria which isn't many but it also explains why he scored few goals. Although, you could argue that the average per game is also low. However, bear in mind, that Balogun's legendary status was never with the Nigerian national team but was accomplished in the Challenge Cup. Furthermore, it is remarkable that his career started before Nigeria even had a national team and yet he ended up playing 11 years in the national team, a feat that even today's players will have difficulty achieving.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:39 am
Posts: 9477
Enugu II wrote:
I am surprised by the comments made here. It only shows how much many do not know about Nigeria's football history. First of all, Balogun played in only 11 games for Nigeria which isn't many but it also explains why he scored few goals. Although, you could argue that the average per game is also low. However, bear in mind, that Balogun's legendary status was never with the Nigerian national team but was accomplished in the Challenge Cup. Furthermore, it is remarkable that his career started before Nigeria even had a national team and yet he ended up playing 11 years in the national team, a feat that even today's players will have difficulty achieving.


Oga Enugu II:
Similar to you, Kunle Solaja in his book (Super Eagles: Through the Ages) also wrote about Balogun's legendary status in the Challenge Cup as well as Balogun's professional soccer career in England (with Peterborough United, Queens Park Rangers and etal). The 11 years timeline was also stated. The key difference between the two of you is the number of caps. He noted that the Balogun had 6 international caps ( Debut: Oct 8, 1949: Nigeria vs Sierra Leone). For my own personal "edification", just wondering if there were some games that he missed or the ones you added that might have been omitted by Kunle Solaja?

Nonetheless, his explanation for Balogun' small number caps, despite the legendary status, is that Nigerian national team had fewer fixtures or relatively small number of international games in those days.

_________________
Check out Sooting's website:
http://www.3sc.com.ng


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eaglo, Google [Bot] and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group