Owolabi Speaks on Rohr and Nigerian League Players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Owolabi Speaks on Rohr and Nigerian League Players

Post by Enugu II »

Felix Owolabi (MON) Berates Gernot Rohr On His Stance On NPFL Players
Mudashiru Shittu
http://wildflowers.com.ng/felix-owolabi ... l-players/
By Mudashiru Shittu
Jun 20, 2020, 14:15 Pm410

Former Ex- International, Felix Owolabi, who was part of 1980 Africa Cup of National Cup wining squad and a member of the IICC Shootings Stars, who won the CAF Cup (CAF Confederation Cup) in 1992 has expressed his dissatisfaction over the continuous exclusion of NPFL players from the National team.

In an exclusive interview with Jacob Ajom of Vanguard Sports, the former Shooting Stars player said Gernort Rohr deserves a sack in response to Gernort Rohr’s statement, that the local league players are not fit into his team (Super Eagles) .

“if the man is now saying the local league is not good, then of what use is the LMC, the NPFL , why do you need to have the Nigeria Football Federation as an association ? why do you then have the LMC as a body controlling the league ? In my own way and by my own understanding and estimation, he has rubbished the NFF and the League Management Company. He is telling us that they are not doing anything because they don’t know anything “
The former Racca Rovers of Kano player further advised that the NFF should recruit local players for Gernort Rohr .

“ This is the time to look inwards , Get him at at least five coaches who are conversant with our leagues to moving around the league venues and get players for the national team ”

In recent times there have been issues concerning the negligent of Nigerian Players that play in the Nigeria Professional Football League from playing for the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Gernot Rohr has been accused of deliberately not giving the local based players an ample time in the National team.

A total of 24 players have been invited by the German tactician since he was appointed in 2017 but in defense of his actions, Rohr said in an interview with Channels Sports, that it is not in his contract to invite home based players.

“It’s not a part of my contract to take players who are not so good as other ones. I can choose my players myself. It’s the most important. Nobody can tell me to pick this one or this one. I can take the best players and I don’t do it alone; I have a team (technical crew). We speak about the games of the weekend, so we have to take the best ones regardless of where they are coming from”.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Owolabi Speaks on Rohr and Nigerian League Players

Post by wale1974 »

When home based players start to do well in the African Nations Championship then we can talk, Until then best players from abroad all the way.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

“Get him at at least five coaches who are conversant with our leagues to moving around the league venues and get players for the national team ”
Oh....so the national coaches in charge of the CHAN, WAFU and U23 teams were not "conversant" with the NPFL?
Or is it that they were unable or unwilling to "move around the venues"?
Unlikely as it sounds, could it be a case of them not being competent enough?

Or, God forbid, it might be a more serious matter of the best local players hiding away so that they are not preyed upon by evil national team and foreign club scouts who want to steal their talent and sell it on to slave masters!

There must be an explanation... :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
“Get him at at least five coaches who are conversant with our leagues to moving around the league venues and get players for the national team ”
Oh....so the national coaches in charge of the CHAN, WAFU and U23 teams were not "conversant" with the NPFL?

Or, God forbid, it might be a more serious matter of the best local players hiding away so that they are not preyed upon by evil national team and foreign club scouts who want to steal their talent and sell it on to slave masters!

When people have an agenda, no amount of logic or superior arguments can sway them from their objectives. They're best ignored.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:

When people have an agenda, no amount of logic or superior arguments can sway them from their objectives. They're best ignored.
Bro, its hard!
I am passionate about the SE, now more than ever. I don't really follow club sides that much any more, whether local or international. For me, its ALL about the Super Eagles.
So I can't keep quiet when people are allowing their personal biases to override logic and threaten to compromise our team's success, no matter how well intentioned.

For me, the sudden demise of SOLOWE for some reason made it hit home really hard as a football fan that life is short and we are not here for ever. That guy, like all of us, had a dream for the SE but sadly never got to see his beloved SE win the WC or at least get close.
My dad, also a passionate SE fan, died just a couple of weeks before the 2010 World Cup and the last thing he said to me before he sank into a coma was to ask whether the WC had started. Football indeed can be "life and death". :D

No-one knows tomorrow so it often gets to me when people keep wrangling over minor differences of opinion and biases when any objective person can see that the SE are actually making steady progress from the deep lows we were at just a few years ago.

I want to see the SE win AFCON yet again and the WC in my lifetime and nothing gives me more joy than when we as fans are all cheering on the SE becos we see and focus on the bigger picture, whilst allowing for minor differences of opinion.

The most ridiculous argument is the 'WOWO' one and believe it or not, some actually believe its all about race!
Imagine. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Anyway, maybe this place is simply a sharp and accurate reflection of our national life - our dysfunctional society breeding dysfunctional politicians and non-functional governments.

But no yawa. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ikemba_nacho
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba_nacho »

These threads about local and overseas players are too much. I feel as though it is not based in logic, when the late Great Keshi was tasked with the job it was argued that he had a right to choose who ever he feels will get the job done. However in this instance, I am asking why are we forcing a coach to choose players from the local league. If the local clubs were lighting up the continental stage it would make sense to ask for their inclusion, however we cannot even win the regional WAFU cup.What is the WAFU and CHAN games for if not for exposure.

In all positions bar goalkeeper these calls make absolutely no sense. At the moment, the thread listing players available for each position is three deep in some positions with players in the top 5 list. We also have up and coming prospects that are not even listed in the depth pool. So with this in mind, why would we limit our potential because we want to give players an unfair opportunity.

Inclusion should be based on Merit, these calls for the local league are not in my opinion.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

ikemba_nacho wrote:These threads about local and overseas players are too much. I feel as though it is not based in logic, when the late Great Keshi was tasked with the job it was argued that he had a right to choose who ever he feels will get the job done. However in this instance, I am asking why are we forcing a coach to choose players from the local league. If the local clubs were lighting up the continental stage it would make sense to ask for their inclusion, however we cannot even win the regional WAFU cup.What is the WAFU and CHAN games for if not for exposure.

In all positions bar goalkeeper these calls make absolutely no sense. At the moment, the thread listing players available for each position is three deep in some positions with players in the top 5 list. We also have up and coming prospects that are not even listed in the depth pool. So with this in mind, why would we limit our potential because we want to give players an unfair opportunity.

Inclusion should be based on Merit, these calls for the local league are not in my opinion.
Merit, ok! What merit criteria was used to invite Maduka?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Rohr should be allowed to pick ANY player he likes. He can pick players from the moon.

There should however be no EXCUSE for not delivering ANC trophy and WC 2nd round at 2nd ATTEMPT. Keshi did that at 1st attempt at a FRACTION of the cost!

At the rate he is going, he will soon tell us that we don't have players GOOD enough to win the ANC or get to the WC 2nd round!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

wanaj0 wrote:Rohr should be allowed to pick ANY player he likes. He can pick players from the moon.

There should however be no EXCUSE for not delivering ANC trophy and WC 2nd round at 2nd ATTEMPT. Keshi did that at 1st attempt at a FRACTION of the cost!

At the rate he is going, he will soon tell us that we don't have players GOOD enough to win the ANC or get to the WC 2nd round!
Rohr doesn´t have players in the big leagues, so we can excuse him, if he doesn´t match or surpass Keshi´s achievements!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

These people will not quit.

In all honesty the only position a homebased player has any chance of getting in is at Goalkeeper.

Any other position, not a chance.

So all the homebased advocates, why not compile footage and tell us who these goalkeepers are.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:These people will not quit.

In all honesty the only position a homebased player has any chance of getting in is at Goalkeeper.

So all the homebased advocates, why not compile footage and tell us who these goalkeepers are.
By now you should know that these people are not genuine fans of the SE.
Newcastle United fans on their forum are excited about the Saudi Arabian buyout of their club. They're not interested in human rights abuses or TV copyright infringements. They see a bright future in which their club can compete with the likes of Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc for the best players and silverware, just like genuine SE fans are excited about the top quality talents that are available to the SE.
These guys have an agenda and they're best left alone without any response from genuine fans.
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote:These people will not quit.

vancity eagle wrote: When I told you all that Rohr's stupidity will come to haunt us.

NOW WE HAVE 3 WIDE PLAYERS AMONGST 30 AND ONE OF THEM IS "CHICKEN HEAD" MUSA.

How do we have more strikers than wingers when we play a 433

Ighalo, Iheanacho, Nwankwo, Lokosa are all strikers

Iwobi, Moses, Musa are wingers. Musa isn't even a winger to be honest.

Even according to reports dummy Rohr was playing Lokosa in a "wide position" and he wasn't doing well. Well of course he isn't doing well because he is A STRIKER not a winger, but dummy Rohr would rather call a striker and play him as a winger instead of calling up actual wingers

Olayinka
Onyekuru
Samuel Kalu
Imoh
Bazee

But dummy Rohr knows best. what a fool.
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

Enugu II wrote:
Felix Owolabi (MON) Berates Gernot Rohr On His Stance On NPFL Players
Mudashiru Shittu
http://wildflowers.com.ng/felix-owolabi ... l-players/
By Mudashiru Shittu
Jun 20, 2020, 14:15 Pm410

Former Ex- International, Felix Owolabi, who was part of 1980 Africa Cup of National Cup wining squad and a member of the IICC Shootings Stars, who won the CAF Cup (CAF Confederation Cup) in 1992 has expressed his dissatisfaction over the continuous exclusion of NPFL players from the National team.

In an exclusive interview with Jacob Ajom of Vanguard Sports, the former Shooting Stars player said Gernort Rohr deserves a sack in response to Gernort Rohr’s statement, that the local league players are not fit into his team (Super Eagles) .

“if the man is now saying the local league is not good, then of what use is the LMC, the NPFL , why do you need to have the Nigeria Football Federation as an association ? why do you then have the LMC as a body controlling the league ? In my own way and by my own understanding and estimation, he has rubbished the NFF and the League Management Company. He is telling us that they are not doing anything because they don’t know anything “
The former Racca Rovers of Kano player further advised that the NFF should recruit local players for Gernort Rohr .

“ This is the time to look inwards , Get him at at least five coaches who are conversant with our leagues to moving around the league venues and get players for the national team ”

In recent times there have been issues concerning the negligent of Nigerian Players that play in the Nigeria Professional Football League from playing for the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Gernot Rohr has been accused of deliberately not giving the local based players an ample time in the National team.

A total of 24 players have been invited by the German tactician since he was appointed in 2017 but in defense of his actions, Rohr said in an interview with Channels Sports, that it is not in his contract to invite home based players.

“It’s not a part of my contract to take players who are not so good as other ones. I can choose my players myself. It’s the most important. Nobody can tell me to pick this one or this one. I can take the best players and I don’t do it alone; I have a team (technical crew). We speak about the games of the weekend, so we have to take the best ones regardless of where they are coming from”.
Utterly senseless stuff. Things like this make me see why our people are not fit for science or any evidence or fact-driven decision making. Most Africans don't think and mostly illogical. For this set of people, emotion rules in everything.
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

fabio wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:These threads about local and overseas players are too much. I feel as though it is not based in logic, when the late Great Keshi was tasked with the job it was argued that he had a right to choose who ever he feels will get the job done. However in this instance, I am asking why are we forcing a coach to choose players from the local league. If the local clubs were lighting up the continental stage it would make sense to ask for their inclusion, however we cannot even win the regional WAFU cup.What is the WAFU and CHAN games for if not for exposure.

Dude, you need to give up already. You ain't going anywhere with this your Maduka argument. Say no to home-based players inclusion as things stand NOW! They are not even good enough for Eagles team B
ikemba_nacho
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba_nacho »

ahidjo2 wrote:
fabio wrote:

Dude, you need to give up already. You ain't going anywhere with this your Maduka argument. Say no to home-based players inclusion as things stand NOW! They are not even good enough for Eagles team B
I did note beyond the goalkeeping role, however considering he was chosen as 3rd string I am not sure why this is the one point people are focusing on. Maduka is also on the cusp of playing for Eredivisie club, now he has played with the Super Eagles, we could have viable second or third option to Uzoho and Akpeyi.

Now if you look at outfield players, please tell me which player deserves to be dropped and who should replace him.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Owo-blow should direct his anger at football management in Nigeria, because they are doing enough to train and support, and expose local players, and the league they play in.
I bet 90% of Nigerians tune in to watch foreign league matches instead of the local league where the pool off players suppose to come from.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Truth is this is not an issue that Rohr should be solving, its up to the NFF and those running our footie locally to get the league up to standard, then I can understand having a sort of quota to help the league continue to grow and showcase top talents from the league similar to how the Brazilians do things. But the league is clearly not up to scratch so this is not even an option. Its sad when most of the talented players back home are avoiding the league to stay in academies and try to get to Europe that way.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

maceo4 wrote:Truth is this is not an issue that Rohr should be solving, its up to the NFF and those running our footie locally to get the league up to standard, then I can understand having a sort of quota to help the league continue to grow and showcase top talents from the league similar to how the Brazilians do things. But the league is clearly not up to scratch so this is not even an option. Its sad when most of the talented players back home are avoiding the league to stay in academies and try to get to Europe that way.
That is the big issue! Why are talented players avoiding the league? The academies and league clubs should be made to work together.
I am happy