OSIMHEN named Lille's Player of the Year

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
OSIMHEN named Lille's Player of the Year

Post by Enugu II »

Press Release
Osimhen Wins Player of the Year Award
Published: June 4, 2020 at 6:10 a.m. ET
https://www.marketwatch.com/press-relea ... 2020-06-04
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content.

Jun 04, 2020 (Premium Times/All Africa Global Media via COMTEX) -- Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen has been voted as the Player of The Year at his French club Lille.

Osimhen's emergence as Lille's best player in the truncated 2019-20 season is not surprising for many going by the spectacular displays of the 21-year old in what is just his maiden campaign in Ligue 1.

Among other feats; Osimhen had scored 18 goals and provided eight assists in all competitions for the French Ligue 1 side, before the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic disrupted the season.

It is these breathtaking performances that have seen Osimhen be linked with a possible transfer to several top clubs across Europe.

On the list of potential suitors for Osimhen are Napoli, Liverpool and Chelsea who are all said to be willing to pay heavily to lure the striker away from Lille.

Since his record-breaking performance at the 2015 U-17 World Cup, where he scored 10 goals -the most by any player in a single tournament- Osimhen has continued to shoot, despite having a torrid time at Wolfsburg where he was denied enough playing time.

The same way Osimhen has been the toast of fans at his club, he has also been tipped for greatness with the Nigeria national team, the Super Eagles.

Already, some have identified Osimhen as the next Rashidi Yekini.

On 14 August, 2019, the coach of the Nigerian National Team, Gernot Rohr, extended an invitation to Osimhen for a friendly against Ukraine that was played on September 10, 2019, in Dnipro Arena, Ukraine, which ended in a 2-2 draw.

He was also included in the Super Eagles team to face Brazil in a friendly match in Singapore on 13 October 2019 and also helped Nigeria to win bronze at the 2019 African Cup of Nations in Egypt.

Before Osimhen's emergence as the player of the year at Lille, another Nigerian, Simon Moses, had also been crowned Player of the Year, this time by Nantes.

Both Osimhen and Simon have been nominated for the African French Player of The Year award.

Is there a problem with this press release? Contact the source provider Comtex at [email protected]. You can also contact MarketWatch Customer Service via our Customer Center.

Copyright Premium Times. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OSIMHEN named Lille's Player of the Year

Post by maceo4 »

Prof, its bigger than that, he just won best African player in the entire French League this season! Marc Vivien Foe award! Congrats Victor!!!!

https://www.goal.com/en/news/lilles-osi ... oe%20prize.
Last edited by maceo4 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

When is the French league coming back on?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

olu wrote:When is the French league coming back on?
Next season, which should be August.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Osihmen won in spite of playing with Bamba and Ikone. That’s a monumental accomplishment playing with 2 enemies of progress. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Well deserved. He is leaving Lille.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnBcMkNJHs
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Moses Simon finished 10th!
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

This is a big award the gets him ready for bigger things. Oshimen shows that you can never give up on your dreams. From Germany where he had difficulty getting started, to Belgium where he started to really shine and now this. :clap:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

I hear he also won The Marc Vivien Foe award for the best African player in Ligue 1. I stand corrected if wrong.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cally wrote:I hear he also won The Marc Vivien Foe award for the best African player in Ligue 1. I stand corrected if wrong.
Welcome to last week :tic:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

:clap: :clap: :clap: well deserved!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Osihmen won in spite of playing with Bamba and Ikone. That’s a monumental accomplishment playing with 2 enemies of progress. :laugh:

Truth!!!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Osihmen won in spite of playing with Bamba and Ikone. That’s a monumental accomplishment playing with 2 enemies of progress. :laugh:

Truth!!!
He would have double figure assists on any other team, those guys are so useless and on top of it selfish...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Osimhen??

I'm 100% certain his name was Osimen. Maybe I switched timelines. :?
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Orion wrote:Osimhen??

I'm 100% certain his name was Osimen. Maybe I switched timelines. :?
it is mhen , pronounced with an Esan(ishan) dialect
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Congrats to him. Next up is the APOY.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

In my view, Osimhen played the best football in an SE shirt by any footballer in more than a decade during that explosive game where he notched a hat trick. No one has influenced an SE team as statistically as he did in that game!
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

If Victor was English born to Nigerian parents and was pinning for England, this post would have reached 7 pages by now.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:In my view, Osimhen played the best football in an SE shirt by any footballer in more than a decade during that explosive game where he notched a hat trick. No one has influenced an SE team as statistically as he did in that game!
True...but the level of competition though...that said bobo is a beast and I'm hopeful of more of that esp against better competition.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Too really to start shrining him. He has power and pase and could be better than George Weah under the right coach.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Purity wrote:Too really to start shrining him. He has power and pase and could be better than George Weah under the right coach.
He has pace, but you cannot describe him as "powerful".
That, in my view is succumbing to a stereotype that detracts from his overall ability.

Yekini had 'power'.
Aiyegbeni had 'power'
Emunike had 'power'
Martins had 'power'

They had other attributes too, but I wouldn't describe Osimhen as a 'powerful' striker.
Might as well label everyone 'powerful'.
I think his anticipation, positioning, spatial awareness and his overall nimbleness are for more central to his prowess than raw 'power'. If anything the key to his success is his elusiveness, not his power.

Just my opinion.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:In my view, Osimhen played the best football in an SE shirt by any footballer in more than a decade during that explosive game where he notched a hat trick. No one has influenced an SE team as statistically as he did in that game!
True...but the level of competition though...that said bobo is a beast and I'm hopeful of more of that esp against better competition.

Maceo,

The problem with diluting his performance by citing level of competition is that several other top players were in that game and did not have their best games in SE colors against that same level of competition.