UPDATE? THE 2 Intl. Friendlies Next Month.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
UPDATE? THE 2 Intl. Friendlies Next Month.....

Post by Enugu II »

Super Eagles set for two friendly games
https://www.today.ng/sport/football/sup ... mes-307323
By Olusola Adeoye -July 17, 2020

The Nigeria Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick, has revealed that the Super Eagles will return back to action with two friendly games in September.

Pinnick alluded to the fact that the scheduled friendly games pencilled to be played in Paris will only go ahead depending on the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The NFF boss made this disclosure during a live Instagram session he had with the NFF communications department on Thursday.

According to him, plans are already at an advanced stage to have the Super Eagles play an African as well as a South American team in Paris in September.

He, however, said the federation will only make public the identity of the opponents when all arrangements have been finalized.

“We have two international friendly games billed for Paris in September and when we conclude the arrangements, which are at 70 per cent now, we will make it public,” Pinnick assured.

“We hope to make use of the FIFA windows in both September and October,” he added.

Since winning bronze at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations hosted by Egypt, Gernot Rohr’s men have since resumed the quest to qualify for the next AFCON tournament now billed to take place in 2022 in Cameroon.

The Nigeria national team were meant to face Sierra Leone in March, but the games were put off due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus across the world.

The Eagles last match was against Lesotho in November 2019.

Nigeria won the AFCON qualifier 4-2 in Maseru.

With virtually no activity, the world football governing body, FIFA has ranked Nigeria third (3rd) best team in Africa and thirty-third (33rd) in the world.

The latest FIFA world ranking, published on Thursday, July 16 on its website is the latest since the last publication on June 11, 2020.

Among other things, quality friendly games as being planned by the NFF will help the country improve on the standings on the monthly FIFA rankings.

With Pinnick claiming then that the arrangement for two internationals in Europe were 70% complete, one wonders how further the arrangements have gone.

The team last played almost a year ago and the current health situation threatens the longest period of inactivity for the national team since the 1950s. With so many new names coming up and the likes of Ighalo pleading ( :rotf: ) for a return to the fold, the composition of the Super Eagles is certainly in flux. A situation that may well be detrimental to a World Cup qualification looms. Thankfully, we have a conservative coach in Gernot Rohr who will not change and chop through players based on the most recent performance in Europe. At least that should be the hope.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: UPDATE? THE 2 Intl. Friendlies Next Month.....

Post by vancity eagle »

How can this be "detrimental" to our world cup Hope's, when this situation is affecting all teams ? How many teams are planning 2 friendlies in september ? We will be likely better prepared than most teams. Only a few African teams can organize friendlies using entirely euro based squads.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I just pray we play these 2 friendlies and Covid doesn't get in the way. It's been far too long since we've seen SE, and there has never been a need to test so many new legitimate and exciting prospects.

I believe we may be playing Colombia. A Colombian fan from the big soccer forum posted news that they were arranging to play friendlies as well.

We just played Brazil, I doubt we play Argentina again. Colombia and Iruguay are the only 2 remaining S American teams that can call entirely euro based squads, so I think its Colombia or Uruguay.

For the African team, maybe Morocco or Ivory Coast.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote:How can this be "detrimental" to our world cup Hope's, when this situation is affecting all teams ? How many teams are planning 2 friendlies in september ? We will be likely better prepared than most teams. Only a few African teams can organize friendlies using entirely euro based squads.

But not all teams are facing what we face -- trying to integrate so many new faces. That surely is different.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:How can this be "detrimental" to our world cup Hope's, when this situation is affecting all teams ? How many teams are planning 2 friendlies in september ? We will be likely better prepared than most teams. Only a few African teams can organize friendlies using entirely euro based squads.

But not all teams are facing what we face -- trying to integrate so many new faces. That surely is different.
The core team is there, and as you said Rohr will integrate slowly, and any additions will only improve the team.

Look how smoothly Joe Aribo was brought into the fold. I dont see all this as a problem, but a blessing.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

The core team is there, and as you said Rohr will integrate slowly, and any additions will only improve the team.

Look how smoothly Joe Aribo was brought into the fold. I dont see all this as a problem, but a blessing.
VE,

On this, I doff my hat to Rohr. He will not do otherwise. He will introduce guys slowly and that is the way it ought to be in these circumstances.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Just got word from a Colombian supporter on Bigsoccer who said according to their media Colombia was supposed to play Nigeria, but the match will no longer take place because of work permit issues.

I dont understand what work permit issues there would be.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

VE,

On this, I doff my hat to Rohr. He will not do otherwise. He will introduce guys slowly and that is the way it ought to be in these circumstances.
EII, see how you contradict yourself!
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

VE,

EII, see how you contradict yourself!
Unfortunately, I do not see it as a contradiction. There are many guys emerging and we are attempting to blood them. What is left to be seen is whether Rohr will handle it well. In my view, he will but that certainly is left to be seen. Maybe you see a contradiction but I really do to see one.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

the September friendlies have apparently been cancelled, I believe the October window will be open for friendlies, and our ANCQ resumes in the November window with the Sierra Leone double header.

Here is the updated CAF scheduele.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

October is a 3 match window.

UEFA has 2 nations league matches

I believe South America starts WCQ, 2 matches

So we can play 2 friendlies vs an African team and 1 friendly against either a European or South American team.

All in europe I presume.

We could line up a program like this

Oct 6 Senegal

Oct 9 Morocco

Oct 14 Colombia/Croatia

We could have 30 players camping in Europe to prosecute these matches, while Rohr can assess the new options and combinations.