Is Bukayo Saka Really a Shoo-in as an SE starter?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is Bukayo Saka Really a Shoo-in as an SE starter?

Post by Enugu II »

I have watched Bukayo Saka for some games now and granted he has an exquisite left foot and his crosses may well be light years ahead of any one else in the SE, his somewhat quiet presence on the field and his sometimes large swath of inactivity as a forward player leaves me with doubts as to whether he is a shoo-in starter for the SE. In my view, there is no certainty about this guy being a sure starter for Nigeria. There are several gifted competitors at his best forward positions for Nigeria. That is just my current take on this player.

As for whether signing him is important? I think it is atleast at a psychological level. By this I mean that he will TRULY be the first player that England may well have some interest in at the time that Nigeria gets him, if we do. No other player that we have had ever fell into that category.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Bukayo Saka Really a Shoo-in as an SE?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

His position at Arsenal is also under severe threat with Pepe starting to wake up and talk of signing Dembele. He should make the squad if he joins us but it's left to be seen if he'll be a starter. Zaidu Sanusi is also very capable at both LW&LB, also very good at crossing the ball.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:I have watched Bukayo Saka for some games now and granted he has an exquisite left foot and his crosses may well be light years ahead of any one else in the SE, his somewhat quiet presence on the field and his sometimes large swath of inactivity as a forward player leaves me with doubts as to whether he is a shoo-in starter for the SE. In my view, there is no certainty about this guy being a sure starter for Nigeria. There are several gifted competitors at his best forward positions for Nigeria. That is just my current take on this player.

As for whether signing him is important? I think it is atleast at a psychological level. By this I mean that he will TRULY be the first player that England may well have some interest in at the time that Nigeria gets him, if we do. No other player that we have had ever fell into that category.
I don't think any one is a shoo-in tbh.
But the bane of the SE even at the peak of our prowess in the 90s was depth. We have complained about the limited options on our bench since time began.
The more quality options available for the national team the better.

David Alaba might not have been a shoo-in when he first started catching the eye but he developed into one of the best full backs in the world. No-one can say 18yr old Saka can't be the same so we should not relent in our efforts to capture him. If we get him we get him; if we don't we don't.

This is not only about now but also about the future and Rohr hasn't hidden his desire to work towards that goal.
Many Nigerian fans happen to agree with him and his methods.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote:I have watched Bukayo Saka for some games now and granted he has an exquisite left foot and his crosses may well be light years ahead of any one else in the SE, his somewhat quiet presence on the field and his sometimes large swath of inactivity as a forward player leaves me with doubts as to whether he is a shoo-in starter for the SE. In my view, there is no certainty about this guy being a sure starter for Nigeria. There are several gifted competitors at his best forward positions for Nigeria. That is just my current take on this player.

An 18 year old lad in his breakout season has 12 assists and 5 goals playing predominantly from a left back position. He and Greenwood are rated as the biggest young talents in the EPL this season. Which Nigerian wing back or winger has performed better in an equally strong league? For a country that has never passed the second round of the world cup, I must say we are really arrogant!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i actually do not rate him and he isn't better than any of our wide players or full backs real talk
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gochino wrote:

An 18 year old lad in his breakout season has 12 assists and 5 goals playing predominantly from a left back position. He and Greenwood are rated as the biggest young talents in the EPL this season. Which Nigerian wing back or winger has performed better in an equally strong league? For a country that has never passed the second round of the world cup, I must say we are really arrogant!
Gochino,

However, those stats do not grant nor should it grant him a shoo-in into the starting SE team. It is not about arrogance but a note that at the NT, it will be him as an INDIVIDUAL (not with his Arsenal buddies) competing with other individuals. That is what it will be about at the NT level. For me, it will be a huge win getting him to play for Nigeria but watching him, there is nothing that I have seen that makes me think he can walk into the SE as a starter in a forward position.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

However, those stats do not grant nor should it grant him a shoo-in into the starting SE team. It is not about arrogance but a note that at the NT, it will be him as an INDIVIDUAL (not with his Arsenal buddies) competing with other individuals. That is what it will be about at the NT level. For me, it will be a huge win getting him to play for Nigeria but watching him, there is nothing that I have seen that makes me think he can walk into the SE as a starter in a forward position.
We just need to start/play him once, then after that he can compete for a shirt like everyone else lol. But I suspect for him to agree to SE he will likely ask for preferential treatment...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

We just need to start/play him once, then after that he can compete for a shirt like everyone else lol. But I suspect for him to agree to SE he will likely ask for preferential treatment...
Maceo4,

I agree that he roped in as a starter in a competitive game. After all, that is likely what England will do as well. After that it will depend on how he does on an ongoing basis.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I actually agree with you.
Rather premature on EII's part to make such an assertion regarding Saka's ability, considering he is only 18.
Damunk wrote:

I don't think any one is a shoo-in tbh.
But the bane of the SE even at the peak of our prowess in the 90s was depth. We have complained about the limited options on our bench since time began.
The more quality options available for the national team the better.

David Alaba might not have been a shoo-in when he first started catching the eye but he developed into one of the best full backs in the world. No-one can say 18yr old Saka can't be the same so we should not relent in our efforts to capture him. If we get him we get him; if we don't we don't.

This is not only about now but also about the future and Rohr hasn't hidden his desire to work towards that goal.
Many Nigerian fans happen to agree with him and his methods.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

Maceo4,

I agree that he roped in as a starter in a competitive game. After all, that is likely what England will do as well. After that it will depend on how he does on an ongoing basis.
He doesn't need to be a starter at all. He just needs to step over the white touchline in a competitive game, even if you haul him off 5 mins later. :lol:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

I think sometimes you guys forget some of these players are mere kids. :D
Forget the larger-than-life TV coverage, newspaper headlines etc.

No way is he going to dictate terms. E craze?
He is barely out of secondary school, grew up idolising Mikel, JJ, Kanu, Moses etc and finds himself on the same pitch with Nigerian national team players that will konk his head no matter how talented he might be.

He is a Nigerian boy, born in London to a Nigerian family.
If he opts to play for us, he will still be star-struck.

Were you never 18 yrs old? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

He is barely out of secondary school, grew up idolising Mikel, JJ, Kanu, Moses etc and finds himself on the same pitch with Nigerian national team players that will konk his head no matter how talented he might be.

I was, infact I turned 18 on this site and you can bet your blackasses and have proof that I would have dictated terms.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

I was, infact I turned 18 on this site and you can bet your blackasses and have proof that I would have dictated terms.
Yeah right.
Because weytin? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nigerians will quickly konk your head into position, your eye go straight.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Bigpokey24 wrote:

i actually do not rate him and he isn't better than any of our wide players or full backs real talk
Totally right but the issue here is POTENTIAL...don’t want to be 5yrs from now talking about another Alaba
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

I was a different type of 18 year old.

Yeah right.
Because weytin? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nigerians will quickly konk your head into position, your eye go straight.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

Lol all these players have ‘teams’ of people around them including parents, relatives, agents, god fathers etc who will speak on their behalf, it won’t be the 18 year old kid asking for such. The kid is a brand and how would it look if he couldn’t get into an unfancied national team.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

Lol all these players have ‘teams’ of people around them including parents, relatives, agents, god fathers etc who will speak on their behalf, it won’t be the 18 year old kid asking for such. The kid is a brand and how would it look if he couldn’t get into an unfancied national team.
I agree with you but I still don't see him, his parents or his 'god fathers' asking for preferential treatment.
Aside from maybe hawkish agents - and the agent really needs to be hawkish - I can't see it.

Look how Ola Aina's dad and Alex Iwobi's dad were gushing at the mere thought of their sons repping their beloved country.
I can bet Saka's dad is no different.
The only Nigerian father of a potential SE player that had such an arrogant approach with an exaggerated sense of entitlement was Iorfa's dad.

Let's not forget it is a Nigerian father's dream for their sons to represent the country that they (the fathers) most closely identify with.
Many fathers live vicariously through their children, esp their sons and so they are unlikely to jeopardise their son's chances by making unreasonable demands.

I'm not sure where you are based but if you are not in the UK you just cannot understand the black identity issue here -esp if you live in America. I'd say 99 times out of 100 a black man in the UK would support Nigeria over England in a football match - even if they're of Caribbean descent. It doesnt matter whether or not they were born abroad or in the UK itself.
This is not even contestable. We keep emphasising it but people just don't get it.

Any decision made in favour of England is strictly about career i.e. business :idea:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

You are certainly correct in how the parents feel. I have little doubt about that. However, the kids are not the parents. The point you made is not just about "business" or career as you put it. One thing you sorely miss is that it is also a decision abrupt social comfort. These kids want to play with those they grew up with (their friends and it does not matter if they are in USA or UK) and most of those friends are actually in England/USA and not Nigeria. They want to play in surroundings that they are comfortable with i.e London and not Lagos. Those things make them human. They are jot robots.

This is exactly why many (including those born in London) have made the easily predictable decision to choose England ahead of Nigeria so far. The only ones who opted for Nigeria, so far, are those who either tired waiting for England (e.g. Victor Moses) or those who had a call from Nigeria even before they were worthy of any serious look-in from England (e.d. Iwobi, Aina, etc).

Those who had a look-in from England, when Nigeria was also interested, made the predictable decision to choose England (e.g. Abraham, Tomori). If this Arsenal kid chooses Nigeria ahead of England it will be a MAJOR statement against the grain and a welcomed change.
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
gochino wrote:

Gochino,

I agree with you but I still don't see him, his parents or his 'god fathers' asking for preferential treatment.
Aside from maybe hawkish agents - and the agent really needs to be hawkish - I can't see it.

Look how Ola Aina's dad and Alex Iwobi's dad were gushing at the mere thought of their sons repping their beloved country.
I can bet Saka's dad is no different.
The only Nigerian father of a potential SE player that had such an arrogant approach with an exaggerated sense of entitlement was Iorfa's dad.

Let's not forget it is a Nigerian father's dream for their sons to represent the country that they (the fathers) most closely identify with.
Many fathers live vicariously through their children, esp their sons and so they are unlikely to jeopardise their son's chances by making unreasonable demands.

I'm not sure where you are based but if you are not in the UK you just cannot understand the black identity issue here -esp if you live in America. I'd say 99 times out of 100 a black man in the UK would support Nigeria over England in a football match - even if they're of Caribbean descent. It doesnt matter whether or not they were born abroad or in the UK itself.
This is not even contestable. We keep emphasising it but people just don't get it.

Any decision made in favour of England is strictly about career i.e. business :idea:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:Damunk,

You are certainly correct in how the parents feel. I have little doubt about that. However, the kids are not the parents. The point you made is not just about "business" or career as you put it. One thing you sorely miss is that it is also a decision abrupt social comfort. These kids want to play with those they grew up with (their friends and it does not matter if they are in USA or UK) and most of those friends are actually in England/USA and not Nigeria. They want to play in surroundings that they are comfortable with i.e London and not Lagos. Those things make them human. They are jot robots.

This is exactly why many (including those born in London) have made the easily predictable decision to choose England ahead of Nigeria so far. The only ones who opted for Nigeria, so far, are those who either tired waiting for England (e.g. Victor Moses) or those who had a call from Nigeria even before they were worthy of any serious look-in from England (e.d. Iwobi, Aina, etc).

Those who had a look-in from England, when Nigeria was also interested, made the predictable decision to choose England (e.g. Abraham, Tomori). If this Arsenal kid chooses Nigeria ahead of England it will be a MAJOR statement against the grain and a welcomed change.
Prof, USA and the UK are not the same and the attitudes are very different.
I can't stress it enough. You obviously see things from your perspective in the USA.

Like I keep saying, those examples you rightly make are career decisions. It is not a measure of how much 'love' they have for "Ingerland" and it's definitely not about playing with their friends and mates.
They can and will do that to their hearts' content at club level. :D
National team selection is strictly business. They play 8-10 games a year for the 'Three Lions'. Career and profile enhanced. Everyone gets it. At heart, you still love your roots. In the UK, this whole divided loyalty thing is the basis of The Cricket Test..

Black identity in the UK is very strongly tied to one's ethnic roots.....Africa and the Caribbean. To blacks in the UK, it totally baffles us how African Americans could ever support the USA over an African nation.
But it is what it is and a subject for another day. Its a UK thing.
Let's leave that matter.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

You keep stating USA and UK are different. I do not argue that. My point is that humans, whether in USA, Brazil, Nigeria, or in deep forest of Congo are the same. That is you want to be with your closest friends when you have the choice. It is a NATURAL tendency. Thus far, that is exactly how it has played out even with these UK boys that you are stating are different. That difference with USA just isn't there on this issue. Any one of them offered the chance of England or Nigeria has chosen England so far. None has chosen Nigeria. Not one. This exactly why I hope Bukayo can buck that trend when a genuine England offer is beside him. Currently, he is hedging and waiting for that alternatibve whereas the Nigerian offer is already on the table. Will he bite? Let's watch. He will be the first if he chooses Nigeria amid an offer also from England.

If it was his father, I know where he is likely to go given his social background and friendship circle. It can be predicted with a high accuracy barring a few other issues.

Damunk wrote:

I can't stress it enough. You obviously see things from your perspective in the USA.

Like I keep saying, those examples you rightly make are career decisions. It is not a measure of how much 'love' they have for "Ingerland" and it's definitely not about playing with their friends and mates.
National team selection is strictly business. They play 8-10 games a year for the 'Three Lions'. Career and profile enhanced. Everyone gets it. At heart, you still love your roots. In the UK, this whole divided loyalty thing is the basis of The Cricket Test..

Black identity in the UK is very strongly tied to one's ethnic roots.....Africa and the Caribbean. To blacks in the UK, it totally baffles us how African Americans could ever support the USA over an African nation.
Let's leave that matter.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:

Let's leave that matter.
I think English people are more likely to support England than Americans are to support the US, the most popular national team in the country is Mexico.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote:I think English people are more likely to support England than Americans are to support the US, the most popular national team in the country is Mexico.
Even when you say "English people", I instantly think you are referring to white people. I'm sure the majority of black Britons would do the same.
Why?
Because black people here do not naturally self-identify as "English people", unlike in America where an American is an American is an American.

But I'm sure you were referring to black Britons, right?
If you were here I doubt you'd have made your point in that manner. :lol: :lol:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
kalani JR wrote:I think English people are more likely to support England than Americans are to support the US, the most popular national team in the country is Mexico.
Even when you say "English people", I instantly think you are referring to white people. I'm sure the majority of black Britons would do the same.
Why?
Because black people here do not naturally self-identify as "English people", unlike in America where an American is an American is an American.

But I'm sure you were referring to black Britons, right?
If you were here I doubt you'd have made your point in that manner. :lol: :lol:
I know about the terminology...I wanted to specify England.