Ranking the NEXT SE Coach

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ranking the NEXT SE Coach

Post by mcal »

Ugbowo wrote:LOL at this thread.

Imagine going to work in your job and ppl are discussing who is going to replace you. Not how to make you successful.

What in the entire fuckery is this ish?
...am very disappointed at the premise.
Cynicism at it's worse, this was how they hounded Keshi, and some SE coaches.
We want to win everything, yet we have a very poor administration of football.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

waka-man wrote:

Imagine going to work in your job and ppl are discussing who is going to replace you. Not how to make you successful.

It’s called succession planning. In my job, we have identified 5 people capable of taking over from me and put in place development plan to help prepare them.
It’s what well run organisations do as a matter of course.
Quite common and highly recommended.
...not if you are planning succession due to poor job, and doing it in the open. In your office or place of work that person being eyed to be "fired" will quit before you know it thus living you in limbo.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Damunk wrote:
niyi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:In my view, Gernot Rohr who will finish as the longest serving Nigerian coach must start wining or he is in his last years as the NT Coach. That much is or should be clear. We have never had a coach with such futility given the time in the saddle. For him to stay on, the only way out is winning.
I am not a fan of Rohr but isn't the premise of this thread flawed?
What is his winning % compared to other past SE coaches?
Seems the only 'winning' that counts is the AFCON gold.
So when Prof says`'start winning" he is effectively saying he should win AFCON.
Nothing wrong in that but considering there has only been one opportunity to win it so far, it sounds strange to hear "start winning" as if he has lost many opportunities to win AFCON.

As for winning ratios, I posted his record vs Keshi's a few months ago. People were not interested.
He had already notched up more wins than Keshi with fewer games.
And Keshi had been our best coach in terms of "winning".

DATA SOURCE:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/stephen-k ... 550/plus/1?
saison_id=&verein_id=3444&liga=&wettbewerb_id=&trainer_id=

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gernot- ... 824/plus/1?
Thanks Damunk. The premise of the thread is flawed.. just like I thought. I wonder why some of us who think Nigerian coaches are treated badly seem to think the solution to one injustice is more injustice.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

But what you have just done is compare winning percentages, including friendlies nonetheless. Is that now more important to us than winning trophies. In essence, winning friendlies are now to be reined. In my view, those percentages mater little if you do not win trophies. Nigerians, are assume, would be more satisfied with winning the AFCON than merely winning a friendly game with Germany, I would suppose. In football, the goal is to win trophies and not to win friendly matches.

Maybe, it is just me. Should I now suppose that we would you rather keep the coach as long as he wins friendlies and produces players that go on to play for the top clubs in Europe? Is that now the goal of Nigerian NT?

Here, I speculate at a goal because you have not stated one. The NT's goal for a country like Nigeria (This isn't Chad Republic nor is it Lesotho) is simply to win the AFCON and do well in the World Cup. Rohr has not done that and yet he is inching into becoming the longest serving NT coach. In my view, if he fails to achieve the basic goals of winning the AFCON or doing well in the WC he should be fired. That is not much to ask.
Damunk wrote:
niyi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:In my view, Gernot Rohr who will finish as the longest serving Nigerian coach must start wining or he is in his last years as the NT Coach. That much is or should be clear. We have never had a coach with such futility given the time in the saddle. For him to stay on, the only way out is winning.
I am not a fan of Rohr but isn't the premise of this thread flawed?
What is his winning % compared to other past SE coaches?
Seems the only 'winning' that counts is the AFCON gold.
Nothing wrong in that but considering there has only been one opportunity to win it so far, it sounds strange to hear "start winning" as if he has lost many opportunities to win AFCON.

As for winning ratios, I posted his record vs Keshi's a few months ago. People were not interested.

DATA SOURCE:

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Seems the only 'winning' that counts is the AFCON gold.

DATA SOURCE:

What do you prefer?

or

Our good scout on the left.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:Damunk,

In my view, if he fails to achieve the basic goals of winning the AFCON or doing well in the WC he should be fired. That is not much to ask.

Winning AFCON is not a "basic goal"

You talk as if it is some walk in the park. It isn't, and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise

AFCON has only been won 3 times for a giant nation like Nigeria in our entire history, and you think somebody should just be casually fired for not achieving such a goal.

Senegal who has a much better squad than us has still yet to win the AFCON EVER.

So please stop talking as if it is Nigeria's birthright to win the AFCON. And this stupid "Keshi won with less support" argument is nonsense.

Every situation is different and cannot be compared like for like.

As for "doing well in the WC" again there are so many factors outside of Rohr or Keshi's control, like

1. what group do we land in ? Rohr literally had the toughest group in the WC while Keshi literally had the easiest, yet Keshi still struggled to qualify for the 2nd round, failing to beat Iran and needing the ref to help us against Bosnia.

Rohr is doing a good job, he can improve, but he is doing a good job, its just being disingenuous to state otherwise, and its abject stupidity to try and destroy what he has built because secretly you have some prejudice against a white man.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

VE,

I am glad that you know it isn't a walk in the park. Thanks for acknowledging that.

Why again is Nigeria paying big bucks to Rohr? To just qualify as one of 24 teams to the AFCON? That must be a great achievement. I never sensed that such will be the goal of the Super Eagles of Nigeria. How far has the mighty fallen?

Yet, we are claiming to be building a team that will make its mark at the World Cup. Where the logic, bros?

In any case, the fact is that Rohr cannot and will not remain Super Eagles coach if his SE team fails to do well at the AFCON and then does not go beyond the group games of the next World Cup. That much should be clear. It would not matter whether he is building a team of England-born players or not. That much should be clear.
vancity eagle wrote:

In my view, if he fails to achieve the basic goals of winning the AFCON or doing well in the WC he should be fired. That is not much to ask.

You talk as if it is some walk in the park. It isn't, and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise

AFCON has only been won 3 times for a giant nation like Nigeria in our entire history, and you think somebody should just be casually fired for not achieving such a goal.

Senegal who has a much better squad than us has still yet to win the AFCON EVER.

So please stop talking as if it is Nigeria's birthright to win the AFCON. And this stupid "Keshi won with less support" argument is nonsense.

As for "doing well in the WC" again there are so many factors outside of Rohr or Keshi's control, like

1. what group do we land in ? Rohr literally had the toughest group in the WC while Keshi literally had the easiest, yet Keshi still struggled to qualify for the 2nd round, failing to beat Iran and needing the ref to help us against Bosnia.

Rohr is doing a good job, he can improve, but he is doing a good job, its just being disingenuous to state otherwise, and its abject stupidity to try and destroy what he has built because secretly you have some prejudice against a white man.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote: Seems the only 'winning' that counts is the AFCON gold.

DATA SOURCE:

What do you prefer?

black man
or

another black man
I want a white man!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Coach Rohr vows to make Nigeria champions of Africa again
https://sports.yahoo.com/coach-rohr-vow ... --sow.html
AFP AFPJun 2, 2020, 4:35 AM

Abuja (AFP) - Coach Gernot Rohr said he made sacrifices in his new contract with Nigeria in order to guide the country to a fourth Africa Cup of Nations triumph.

Rohr, 66, has extended his stay in Nigeria till 2022 after he agreed to a pay cut in the local currency and reside in the country.

Officials said the German-born coach will earn $49,000 a month instead of the $55,000 stipulated in his previous contract and he will live in Nigeria for at least 10 months a year.

"This is a special job because this is my team, I built it with my staff," the former Niger and Gabon coach said Monday on local television.

"It's a very young team, but the mission is not finished yet, so we want to continue.

"We all have to make sacrifices and I will be the first."

Rohr said the target is to be champions of Africa again. The Super Eagles have won the Africa Cup of Nations three times -- in 1980, 1994 and 2013.

"Let's qualify for (the Nations Cup) and then we want to win it," he said.

"We have a good team, we're now number three in Africa. When I arrived (in 2016), we were number 13.

"We have worked together for the past four years and I hope we can progress."

Rohr led Nigeria to third place at last year's Africa Cup in Egypt, where they lost 2-1 to eventual champions Algeria in the semi-finals after conceding a stoppage-time goal.

His team top their qualifying group for the 2021 Nations Cup slated for Cameroon with six points after winning their first two games against second-placed Benin and Lesotho, who are third.

Sierra Leone are the other team in the group and are bottom on a point.

The top two teams in the group will advance to the final tournament.

In his four years in charge of the Super Eagles, Rohr has faced criticism for overlooking players based in Nigeria for those in Europe.

His employers have ordered him to now pick players from the domestic league, but Rohr has insisted only the best will make his squad.

"I pick the best players and I don't do it alone," he said.

"We have to take the best players no matter where they are coming from.

"We have very good young players, so it's difficult for the local players to break into the team."
HE SAID IT. Nothing else to add. He can ONLY REMAIN Nigeria's coach after the current contract IF HE WINS tHE AFCON. If not, kaput...
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:VE,

I am glad that you know it isn't a walk in the park. Thanks for acknowledging that.

Why again is Nigeria paying big bucks to Rohr? To just qualify as one of 24 teams to the AFCON? That must be a great achievement. I never sensed that such will be the goal of the Super Eagles of Nigeria. How far has the mighty fallen?

Yet, we are claiming to be building a team that will make its mark at the World Cup. Where the logic, bros?

In any case, the fact is that Rohr cannot and will not remain Super Eagles coach if his SE team fails to do well at the AFCON and then does not go beyond the group games of the next World Cup. That much should be clear. It would not matter whether he is building a team of England-born players or not. That much should be clear.
vancity eagle wrote:

He didn't just "qualify team for AFCON"

We finished third in the first expanded edition, after we have failed to qualify for the previous 2 editions. We even lost to eventual champions in the last minute of the match, How on earth do you see that as a poor achievement ?

Remember that neither Cameroon in 90, Senegal in 2002, or Ghana in 2010 won AFCON, yet went on to go further in the world cup than any AFrican team.

Winning AFCON is not the only measure of success, and it is not the only indicator of progress or the ability to do well on the world stage.

Somehow I think you know this yet, you are like a lawyer doing your job to make the best possible argument for a GUILTY CLIENT.

Your agenda and supportive arguments are shallow and transparent, give it a rest and enjoy the SE that Rohr is building. If the team starts to play like crap and produce bad results, you will have plenty of people joining your cause for LEGITIMATE reasons.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

This is not the NFF board forum. It is a fan's forum. Fans discuss all sorts of topics. We don't make decisions here.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Vancity,

Nigeria is not Botswana nor is Nigeria a Togo.

Nigeria aims to WIN the the AFCON. That is the standard for Nigeria. As for the Worlds Cup, the standard is getting to the final 16. Those are benchmarks and they did not start with Rohr's tenure neither will those expectations end with his tenure. A few years ago, this board was awash with the term Golden bronze. Do you remember that, bros? That term is a marker denoting the expectation of Nigerians. Have those expectations suddenly evaporated because Rohr is now at the helm? Or is there now a different standard for Rohr? If it is, why?

In my view, it is commendable that he won the bronze at the last AFCON because Nigeria medalled. I will never and have never derided a bronze medal finish. However, more is expected. As I noted earlier, by the end of his current contract Rohr will be the longest serving coach for Nigeria. Is that too much then to expect an AFCON win. We won the AFCON under Westerhoff, Otto Gloria, and Keshi and each of those would served shorter terms in winning the AFCON. We sacked Chukwu, Amodu, and many others after they won a bronze that you are now celebrating. Jeez, even Onigbinde won a silver medal at AFCON. And now, it is too much to expect Rohr to win the AFCON? Is this really your handle, I ask, Vancity? Or has an impostor taken over?

In my view, the sentiment of most Nigerians is that bronze is not good enough. It won't be the next time around. You can bet on that. The goal standard is not simply blooding Euro developed players in the SE. It is about winning trophies.
vancity eagle wrote:

vancity eagle wrote:

We finished third in the first expanded edition, after we have failed to qualify for the previous 2 editions. We even lost to eventual champions in the last minute of the match, How on earth do you see that as a poor achievement ?

Remember that neither Cameroon in 90, Senegal in 2002, or Ghana in 2010 won AFCON, yet went on to go further in the world cup than any AFrican team.

Winning AFCON is not the only measure of success, and it is not the only indicator of progress or the ability to do well on the world stage.

Somehow I think you know this yet, you are like a lawyer doing your job to make the best possible argument for a GUILTY CLIENT.

Your agenda and supportive arguments are shallow and transparent, give it a rest and enjoy the SE that Rohr is building. If the team starts to play like crap and produce bad results, you will have plenty of people joining your cause for LEGITIMATE reasons.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:Vancity,

Nigeria aims to WIN the the AFCON. That is the standard for Nigeria. As for the Worlds Cup, the standard is getting to the final 16. Those are benchmarks and they did not start with Rohr's tenure neither will those expectations end with his tenure. A few years ago, this board was awash with the term Golden bronze. Do you remember that, bros? That term is a marker denoting the expectation of Nigerians. Have those expectations suddenly evaporated because Rohr is now at the helm? Or is there now a different standard for Rohr? If it is, why?

In my view, it is commendable that he won the bronze at the last AFCON because Nigeria medalled. I will never and have never derided a bronze medal finish. However, more is expected. As I noted earlier, by the end of his current contract Rohr will be the longest serving coach for Nigeria. Is that too much then to expect an AFCON win. We won the AFCON under Westerhoff, Otto Gloria, and Keshi and each of those would served shorter terms in winning the AFCON. We sacked Chukwu, Amodu, and many others after they won a bronze that you are now celebrating. Jeez, even Onigbinde won a silver medal at AFCON. And now, it is too much to expect Rohr to win the AFCON? Is this really your handle, I ask, Vancity? Or has an impostor taken over?

In my view, the sentiment of most Nigerians is that bronze is not good enough. It won't be the next time around. You can bet on that. The goal standard is not simply blooding Euro developed players in the SE. It is about winning trophies.
vancity eagle wrote:

Where did I compare Nigeria to Botswana or Togo ? Of course the aim is to win the AFCON, but guess what that is the same goal for a number of countries

Algeria, Morocco, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Senegal, Cameroon, Tunisia are all going to the AFCON "aiming to win" but guess what only one team can win. Comming third when you have failed to even qualify for the previous 2 editions is nothing to be upset about.

The term "golden bronze" is simply evidence of the arrogance of certain Nigerian fans who have unrealistic expectations and think it is Nigeria's BIRTHRIGHT to win the Afcon, even when we DO NOT HAVE THE BEST TEAM.

These same arrogant fans thought Nigeria should beat Croatia and Argentina when those 2 nations are CLEARLY better than us. John12 was dead right about this.

You keep talking about shorter terms and longer terms, and I keep telling you that football is not mathematics, there is no magical formula, and no 2 situations are the same so to keep comparing them like for like is a fool's errand.

Westerhoff won AFCON with a Golden generation of stars that he had assembled for years.

Keshi won an AFCON that had very little competition. (No Egypt, no Senegal, no Cameroon, Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia were all very weak and hadn't yet had their influx of euro born players. The only real competition we had was Ivory Coast, and we managed to beat them)

You cannot compare the tournament Keshi won to the one we just played which is not only longer with more teams, but far more competition, stronger teams.

It is nobody's birthright to win AFCON, and we played well after a long hiatus from the competition, so what exactly is the problem to warrant your incessant whining.

Another fallacy of your argument is that simply because something was done DECADES ago, no matter how wrong it was (firing somebody for a golden bronze) we must continue the trend today. What kind of immature nonsense is that ?

Get over your obsession with Rohr.

We are super eagles fans, not fans of coaches.

I dont care whether our coach is white, black, or blue, if he is from England or Nigeria, if he is Hausa or Igbo.

Is the coach above corruption ? Check.

Does the coach call up our best players and have a vision ? Check.

Is the team playing well and improving ? Check.

As far as I am concerned those are the only things that concern me, after the disastrous number of coaches we have had preceding Rohr's appointment.

The team has had a long period of stability. To you that only equates to "Rohr being the longest serving coach without any result in your words"

The Nigerian mentality of chop and rebuild every other year, has failed, you would think we would eventually learn this, but it seems that some people want to continue the same flawed and failed approach.

Have you never heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it"

You seriously do not wish SE well, and seem more interested in hiring a local coach, for whatever your personal bias is.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

But what you have just done is compare winning percentages, including friendlies nonetheless. Is that now more important to us than winning trophies. In essence, winning friendlies are now to be reined. In my view, those percentages mater little if you do not win trophies. Nigerians, are assume, would be more satisfied with winning the AFCON than merely winning a friendly game with Germany, I would suppose. In football, the goal is to win trophies and not to win friendly matches.
Prof, so my deductions were correct.
By ''start winning" you actually meant "win AFCON, or sack".

Just for the record, Rohr has had one shot at AFCON, winning a bronze.
Keshi somehow had two shots, winning it once.
Need we repeat the unmitigated disaster that occurred at the second attempt? We love Keshi and so we all have a gentleman's agreement to pretend he didn't have anything to do with it. But that hasn't made him a "poor coach" and neither should a bronze medal.
Maybe, it is just me. Should I now suppose that we would you rather keep the coach as long as he wins friendlies and produces players that go on to play for the top clubs in Europe? Is that now the goal of Nigerian NT?
What is this emphasis on friendlies? What was our AFCON qualification record? What was our WC qualification record? I am not sure what friendlies have got to do with their overall performance. This is a strawman, Prof.
However, I am pretty sure if Rohr's win ratio was an inferior one, you'd be quick to use it to justify his "poor record". That 52% win ratio is not due to "friendlies". We can check their competitive games records and the results will be no different.
Here, I speculate at a goal because you have not stated one. The NT's goal for a country like Nigeria (This isn't Chad Republic nor is it Lesotho) is simply to win the AFCON and do well in the World Cup.
Agreed that the goals are as stated. No-one is asking for less but to suggest that Rohr's winning record is poor simply based on an AFCON bronze (which was down to one match really) when his actual game record is superior is disingenuous. There is an element of magical thinking when you believe the AFCON gold should be a given, considering the quality of some of the teams on the African continent today.
Rohr has not done that and yet he is inching into becoming the longest serving NT coach. In my view, if he fails to achieve the basic goals of winning the AFCON or doing well in the WC he should be fired. That is not much to ask.
He is not going to organise his own AFCON tournament and so he can only compete for what is available to compete in.

This month he'll be 4 years in office and ONLY ONE AFCON tournament has been available to compete for.
So the length of his term in office is a very disingenuous argument to make.
The next one will be played in Jan 2022 and he has done everything he needs to do so far to get us there.
By August 2021 he will be 5 years in office, so you might as well sack him right then for still not having won AFCON in five whole years! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I think your whole argument is a biased one which as a fan you are entitled to make.
But thinking in advance of sacking the coach based on current records and his ''length of term in office" would be a head scratcher for any neutral.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:Vancity,

vancity eagle wrote:

vancity eagle wrote:

The fans maybe but the general NFF expectation is make semi finals and then judge performance from that point.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:

I agree with VE on the issue of the group the SE get in the WC would determine how far we can go.
If we had the path England had to the semi finals of the 2018 WC, and only lost to the 2 quality sides they played Croatia and Belgium, Nigeria too would be celebrated as getting to the Semis of the WC.
Keshi had an easier group in 2014 than Rohr in 2018, but that doesn't take away from Keshi's achievements.
If we qualify for 2022, I only hope we get groupings like that of 2010 or 2014.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Why again is Nigeria paying big bucks to Rohr?
Prof, it might be "big bucks" by Nigeria standards, but it isn't big bucks for any nation that has serious ambitions.
I'm sure you are not suggesting a local coach should be paid any less. A local coach should not be any cheaper. Keshi and Oliseh were also paid "big bucks". I've posted their salaries here on CE before.
And if we are really looking to become a world force (and not just an African one) then that's when we'll really know what "big bucks" are. :D

...the fact is that Rohr cannot and will not remain Super Eagles coach if his SE team fails to do well at the AFCON
Prof, your position seems to shift from time to time.
'Failing to win AFCON' and 'Failing to do well at AFCON' are two completely different things.
You can "do well" and still not meet your goals of winning gold - for numerous reasons. That's why the reasonable thing to do is not cast expectations in stone.
You make an assessment at the conclusion of the tournament and act upon your findings.

Should I now suppose that we would you rather keep the coach as long as he wins friendlies and produces players that go on to play for the top clubs in Europe? Is that now the goal of Nigerian NT
Of course not! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
If Rohr was winning only or predominantly friendlies he wouldn't be qualifying for AFCON and the WC, and he definitely wouldn't be qualifying with games to spare,
I think this is your attempt to play down the superior win ratio, even though both coaches played friendly games. Interestingly, Nigeria doesn't play friendly games against minnows any more, if they can avoid it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

I agree with VE on the issue of the group the SE get in the WC would determine how far we can go.
If we had the path England had to the semi finals of the 2018 WC, and only lost to the 2 quality sides they played Croatia and Belgium, Nigeria too would be celebrated as getting to the Semis of the WC.
Keshi had an easier group in 2014 than Rohr in 2018, but that doesn't take away from Keshi's achievements.
You guys are being insincere, show me one non-Nigerian sports entity that had Nigeria qualifying ahead of Dzeko led Bosnia at the time. This is Monday morning quarterbacking at its best, none of the media expected us to make it out, they lamented and cried that their maiden darlings Bosnia were robbed, so may pieces and stories about what they had to overcome to get there and how these players are stars at their club and finally get a chance to show their stuff at the WC. The predictions were simple Argentina and Bosnia going through, but now suddenly it was an easy group...you guys sef...anything to diminish a black mans successes and elevate a white mans failures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati ... redictions
The group play for Bosnia-Herzegovina will play out just like odds makers think, as they will finish second behind Argentina. They will not win that match, but they will easily beat Iran and Nigeria in what sets up to be a very entertaining encounter.
Last edited by maceo4 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

You guys are being insincere, show me one non-Nigerian sports entity that had Nigeria qualifying ahead of Dzeko led Bosnia at the time. This is Monday morning quarterbacking at its best, none of the media expected us to make it out, they lamented and cried that their maiden darlings Bosnia were robbed, so may pieces and stories about what they had to overcome to get there and how these players are stars at their club and finally get a chance to show their stuff at the WC. The predictions were simple Argentina and Bosnia going through, but now suddenly it was an easy group...you guys sef.

There will always be those journalists who are biased towards European teams, and of course some of them would have favored Bosnia, however Bosnia was widely regarded as one of the weakest European teams in 2014, add Iran (weakest Asian team)to the mix and yes you have one of the easiest groups.

You must be having a laugh if you consider a group with the weakest Asian team and one of the weakest European teams, not an "easy" or at least favorable group.

It is an absolute lie, that NOBODY favored Nigeria, and EVERYBODY favored Bosnia, Dzeko or not. We were African champs for crying out loud.

To act as if Keshi did better than we were supposed to is also disingenuous. He did exactly what you would expect, however he didn't even do it in style. We scraped through with ref help and then lost to a superior team in the 2nd round.

Bosnia was not a better team than us, no way.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

You guys are being insincere, show me one non-Nigerian sports entity that had Nigeria qualifying ahead of Dzeko led Bosnia at the time. This is Monday morning quarterbacking at its best, none of the media expected us to make it out, they lamented and cried that their maiden darlings Bosnia were robbed, so may pieces and stories about what they had to overcome to get there and how these players are stars at their club and finally get a chance to show their stuff at the WC. The predictions were simple Argentina and Bosnia going through, but now suddenly it was an easy group...you guys sef.

There will always be those journalists who are biased towards European teams, and of course some of them would have favored Bosnia, however Bosnia was widely regarded as one of the weakest European teams in 2014, add Iran to the mix and yes you have one of the easiest groups.

It is an absolute lie, that NOBODY favored Nigeria, and EVERYBODY favored Bosnia, Dzeko or not. We were African champs for crying out loud.

To act as if Keshi did better than we were supposed to is also disingenuous. He did exactly what you would expect, however he didn't even do it in style. We scraped through with ref help and then lost to a superior team in the 2nd round.

Cant the same be said of Argentina in 2018? Abi you are just using the name Argentina to say they were better? All we had to do was get the same result the tiny country of Iceland was able to accomplish vs these same overhyped bunch and thanks to Rohr we couldn’t. How is it any different from what Keshi has to face, but in his case his team saw the game out, in Rohrs case they couldn’t so why try to tarnish Keshis achievement because Rohr failed? Stop trying to rationalize failure, it’s not a good look, you clearly sound biased...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

There will always be those journalists who are biased towards European teams, and of course some of them would have favored Bosnia, however Bosnia was widely regarded as one of the weakest European teams in 2014, add Iran to the mix and yes you have one of the easiest groups.

Cant the same be said of Argentina in 2018? Abi you are just using the name Argentina to say they were better? All we had to do was get the same result the tiny country of Iceland was able to accomplish vs these same overhyped bunch and thanks to Rohr we couldn’t. How is it any different from what Keshi has to face, but in his case his team saw the game out, in Rohrs case they couldn’t so why try to tarnish Keshis achievement because Rohr failed? Stop trying to rationalize failure, it’s not a good look, you clearly sound biased...

I know you did not just compare Bosnia to Argentina.

Argentina is still Argentina, regardless of whatever funk they were in. Getting a result against Bosnia is not the same as getting a result against a Messi lead Argentina with a supporting cast of DiMaria, Aguero, and co.

I can't believe I have to spell it out for you.

So in your world, we shouldnt have beaten Bosnia, but we should have beaten Argentina. LOL.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

You are blaming Rohr for Argentina, no blame for Ighalo who missed a sitter. I take it Rohr was supposed to take over Ighalos body and put that sitter in the net.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

I know you did not just compare Bosnia to Argentina.

Argentina is still Argentina, regardless of whatever funk they were in. Getting a result against Bosnia is not the same as getting a result against a Messi lead Argentina with a supporting cast of DiMaria, Aguero, and co.

I can't believe I have to spell it out for you.

So in your world, we shouldnt have beaten Bosnia, but we should have beaten Argentina. LOL.
Spell what out? Abi was it in a dream where Iceland got a result against the same Messi? See you have already lost with this your Rohr mentality before even stepping on the pitch, wasn’t Messi there vs Croatia, Iceland, France, why was it that Rohrs team was the only one they were able to beat? LOL
Super Eagus 4 Life!