FIFA to change nationality switch rule next month

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FIFA to change nationality switch rule next month

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Abeg, i carry IFA beg una. No matter how this rule turns out I hope nobody ever brings up inviting Abraham or Tomori to SE. Na war be that.

Neither Tomori or Abraham would be eligible as I understand it because they both played for England AFTER they turned 21.

Now regarding Saka, if he is capped twice by England in official competition, he would have to wait for 3 years without playing again before he could switch to Nigeria.

I just read the FIFA statement, and I am not sure if players now have to wait 3 years even after playing a friendly. The language used is confusing and not clear.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:African countries are screwed. It means eligible players will be inclined to hold out much longer and by the time they’re ready to commit, they’ll be close to their “sell by” date❗️

Cheers.
But before a player just had to play a minute in a full international and he was gone but now he can still switch as long as he hasn’t played 3, both of these rules are designed to safe guard European nations they where never in favour of anyone else.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The reality is that the proposed rule has several clauses and not as simple as what has been reported in the media. Note that inspite of this provision, the player cannot change national association if he plays for a minute in the finals of a continental Championship or the World Cup. The age WILL NOT MATTER in such a case. This is just one exception. You may want to read the proposed rule changes that runs 6 pages in Chapter III (Eligibility to Play for Representative Teams). It covers sections 5-9, with several clauses.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

The YeyeMan wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:African countries are screwed. It means eligible players will be inclined to hold out much longer and by the time they’re ready to commit, they’ll be close to their “sell by” date❗️

Cheers.
I consider myself a reasonably smart guy but what the heck does that mean?
I think he means certain players will holdout from representing their home countries in hopes of receiving citizenship from another, this was attempted by Salomon Kalou and Obafemi Martins back in the 2000s. I think a contemporary version would be if Alphonso Davies had played less than 4 games for Canada and moved to Bayern, then he could decide not to play for Canada in hopes of getting fast tracked for German citizenship.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Great move by FIFA. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is a real solution. Players like Eze and Saka that are holding out for can now be called by Nigeria without any paperwork starting next month. It forces the player to make a real choice sooner rather than later but it could also encourage the European teams to start capping players earlier. Don't be surprised if a roster spot or 2 is reserved just for players who might play for other countries.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/socc ... ional-team

Oscar already willing to play for China :laugh:

https://www.scmp.com/sport/football/art ... lity-rules
Look at this useless loser (Oscar).

Fifa needs to put a few caveats to restrict these leaches. For instance, you must have been a citizen of the new country before your 21st birthday.
He has played too many games for Brazil and many of them after his 21st birthday to even benefit from this..but China and Qatar are some of the countries I expect to take advantage of this rule change.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew this was coming. The Europeans definitely lobbied to make this rule happen.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

deanotito wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I knew this was coming. The Europeans definitely lobbied to make this rule happen.

How do the europeans really benefit from this ?

The former rules were easier for them to tie players down.