NPFL strikes commercial investment deal with REDSTRIKE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ukwala
Egg
Egg
NPFL strikes commercial investment deal with REDSTRIKE

Post by ukwala »

A great move by the LMC :clap: :clap: :clap:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NPFL strikes commercial investment deal with REDSTRIKE

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala,

I recently wrote a piece about something close to this as way to get the NPFL ,loving. The difference is that I thought it was a way for private interests to force a break away from the state-sponsored NPFL to create a league that could become economically viable.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:ukwala,

I recently wrote a piece about something close to this as way to get the NPFL ,loving. The difference is that I thought it was a way for private interests to force a break away from the state-sponsored NPFL to create a league that could become economically viable.
EII,

It is going to take time for private interests to be in a position to force a break away from the NPFL. To start with, the costs of renting the mostly government-owned stadia and providing security on matchdays will kill the private clubs. I think the private clubs have to coexist with the state-sponsored teams in the NPFL and gradually build up their fan base, physical infrastructure and commercial framework. Only then can they attract this type of deal which will help them to be independent.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote:

EII,

It is going to take time for private interests to be in a position to force a break away from the NPFL. To start with, the costs of renting the mostly government-owned stadia and providing security on matchdays will kill the private clubs. I think the private clubs have to coexist with the state-sponsored teams in the NPFL and gradually build up their fan base, physical infrastructure and commercial framework. Only then can they attract this type of deal which will help them to be independent.

I agree that it will take time but for an entirely different reason -- FIFA. Right time, FIFA deals strictly with only the NFF. Thus, if private interests fund their own league they will become labelled "suspended" by the NFF making it difficult even for players from such leagues transferring to Europe. In my view, that will be the biggest hurdle.

The point you raise is equally important but I believe there could be stadia in Nigeria with reasonable rental. They do not have too be the huge ones given the paucity of spectators to NPFL games in the first place. Secondly, while you may need a few state police, teams or the league can hire private security which may become a business purchased at cheaper costs. But there also may be revenue sources that the league could create. Mind you the league does not even need to be the current 20 teams nor does it have to be a nationwide home-away series. It requires thinking outside the current box of an NPFL 20-team league.

Let me add, that the idea does not solely focus on focus but creating life content involving the players and a full online TV package that is worked in with Nollywood and the like. But the big deal it will not be regular TV but via online/phone etc.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote:

EII,

I agree that it will take time but for an entirely different reason -- FIFA. Right time, FIFA deals strictly with only the NFF. Thus, if private interests fund their own league they will become labelled "suspended" by the NFF making it difficult even for players from such leagues transferring to Europe. In my view, that will be the biggest hurdle.

The point you raise is equally important but I believe there could be stadia in Nigeria with reasonable rental. They do not have too be the huge ones given the paucity of spectators to NPFL games in the first place. Secondly, while you may need a few state police, teams or the league can hire private security which may become a business purchased at cheaper costs. But there also may be revenue sources that the league could create. Mind you the league does not even need to be the current 20 teams nor does it have to be a nationwide home-away series. It requires thinking outside the current box of an NPFL 20-team league.

Let me add, that the idea does not solely focus on focus but creating life content involving the players and a full online TV package that is worked in with Nollywood and the like. But the big deal it will not be regular TV but via online/phone etc.
Prof, I can't get over the fact that we don't want to do what is right. States should not be running professional football clubs, especially in Nigeria. Nobody can tell me that this cannot be achieved in Nigeria. Example of aviation, Nollywood, Telecoms, entertainment, etc are not run by the government, so why not football. All the states need to do is to invest in the respective teams, e.g. a 5 year plan, to provide the required infrastructure like stadia, academy, start up capital etc, incorporate it then hand it over to professionals to run. The state can have a controlling stake e.g. 51% of the shares, with a plan to reap dividends within 5 to 10 years. That way ordinary citizens and corporate bodies can invest in the clubs. This ensures that after the initial outlay, the states will have a return on investment in the long run and no more spending money made for critical sectors of the economy on players wages and other club admin costs.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote:

EII,

EII,

I think we can discount the idea of a separate league as, clearly, it will not fly. The private interests will have to compete with the government-owned clubs in the current league structure and eventually ‘kill’ them if their product is superior. Remember however that private clubs have sprung up from time to time, starting from Ayufsalam Rocks in 1976 (or maybe Stationery Stores before them), through Abiola Babes, Leventis, Udoji, etc. to the present ones like Ifeanyi Ubah and MFM but they fizzle out after some time. The reason why they fizzle out is what needs to be ascertained and overcome if we are ever going to see a league of private interests.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Absence of strong legal backing drawing IMC back, as Total Promotion threatens to sue
https://insidenews247.com/absence-of-st ... ns-to-sue/
by Inside News December 29, 2022 Reading Time: 1 min read

By Mike Ndidi

The constraints of not having a strong legal framework backing it at this its early formative stage are now making the Interim Management Committee (IMC) of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) to be working under the threats of impending litigation by Total Promotions Limited.

InsideNews247.com has gathered that Total Promotions is said to be claiming to have the league broadcast rights.

The implication if this threat is that the league matches may not be shown on terrestrial television, and neither on local television.

A member of the IMC, who asked to stay anonymous, told www.insidenews247.com that the league will not be seen on television in the early stage of the league.

He said this is because the IMC has to settle some legal issues that can militate against the matches being shown on television.

“You know the IMC does not have a legal structure during its formative days. Its membership was assembled in a rush, and we are now working on the legal framework to allow access to some key areas of the league.”

Our source also confirmed that the league organisers are in receipt of a letter from Total Promotion Ltd.

“Yes, we’re in receipt of a letter from Total Promotion Limited. But that’s not a problem for now.”

“Ten years ago and now are not the same period. But we’ll dialogue with them, find an amicable way to settle the issue.

“But I don’t see that as any impediment for the league to be on television,” he said.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

GTI Group signs 10-year deal with NFF, IMC to improve league
https://insidenews247.com/gti-group-sig ... ve-league/
By Mike Ndidi

Investment banking body, GTI Group, has signed a 10-year strategic partnership deal with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Interim Management Committee (IMC).

InsideNews247.com can exclusively reveal that the deal is for the improvement of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).

This deal, according to the GMD of GTI Group, Mr.Abubakar Lawal, will cover title sponsorship, broadcast rights, match officials’ indemnities, infrastructure development, properties, and ensuring that the 20 premier league clubs become independent of government sponsorship.

The projection by the group for the NPFL is expected to hit a mega figure of about N10 Billion in 2023/33 when the contract runs out, an insider revealed.

“We expect that between now and the first three years of this deal, the Nigerian domestic league should have players in the NPFL earning about N1million at least as salary,” the GMD said.

“It’s going to be massive, it’s pure business, and the clubs will stand to benefit a lot that will make them to stop being government-sponsored clubs again.

“This is because there will be so much money to go round for the clubs.”

“We will secure title sponsors for the league, and will also attract money for the league from other sponsors ”

“At the end of the 2022/23 league season, all the 20 premier league clubs will take 45 percent profit from the sponsorship money,” Lawal disclosed.

“We’re looking at the possibility that in three years from now government should hands off the funding of football teams in Nigeria, especially the Nigerian premier league clubs.”

He stated that the NPFL is now domiciled with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and it is on TNFF, thereby divorcing it from the stranglehold of any individual or group.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:17 am
GTI Group signs 10-year deal with NFF, IMC to improve league
https://insidenews247.com/gti-group-sig ... ve-league/
By Mike Ndidi

Investment banking body, GTI Group, has signed a 10-year strategic partnership deal with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Interim Management Committee (IMC).

InsideNews247.com can exclusively reveal that the deal is for the improvement of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).

This deal, according to the GMD of GTI Group, Mr.Abubakar Lawal, will cover title sponsorship, broadcast rights, match officials’ indemnities, infrastructure development, properties, and ensuring that the 20 premier league clubs become independent of government sponsorship.

The projection by the group for the NPFL is expected to hit a mega figure of about N10 Billion in 2023/33 when the contract runs out, an insider revealed.

“We expect that between now and the first three years of this deal, the Nigerian domestic league should have players in the NPFL earning about N1million at least as salary,” the GMD said.

“It’s going to be massive, it’s pure business, and the clubs will stand to benefit a lot that will make them to stop being government-sponsored clubs again.

“This is because there will be so much money to go round for the clubs.”

“We will secure title sponsors for the league, and will also attract money for the league from other sponsors ”

“At the end of the 2022/23 league season, all the 20 premier league clubs will take 45 percent profit from the sponsorship money,” Lawal disclosed.

“We’re looking at the possibility that in three years from now government should hands off the funding of football teams in Nigeria, especially the Nigerian premier league clubs.”

He stated that the NPFL is now domiciled with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and it is on TNFF, thereby divorcing it from the stranglehold of any individual or group.
Nice move.
Hope it works! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

ukwala wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:10 pm
Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote:

EII,

EII,

I think we can discount the idea of a separate league as, clearly, it will not fly. The private interests will have to compete with the government-owned clubs in the current league structure and eventually ‘kill’ them if their product is superior. Remember however that private clubs have sprung up from time to time, starting from Ayufsalam Rocks in 1976 (or maybe Stationery Stores before them), through Abiola Babes, Leventis, Udoji, etc. to the present ones like Ifeanyi Ubah and MFM but they fizzle out after some time. The reason why they fizzle out is what needs to be ascertained and overcome if we are ever going to see a league of private interests.
Do u know that there are private football leagues running in Nigeria? NFF can't label the private clubs "suspended" unless from its own competitions, even, why suspend them? Private clubs don't need CAF competitions even, unless they go via Challenge Cup/NFF Cup or Knock-out Cup route to CAF Confederation Cup.