'CONFIRMED: AKPOGUMA SWITCHES TO NIGERIA'

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: 'CONFIRMED: AKPOGUMA SWITCHES TO NIGERIA'

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:
ogasir wrote:Pretty soon the entire SE will be [all foreign born]

AND, THE NFF MAY NOT KNOW IT NOW, BUT...

...it would leave no doubt to foreign observers that Nigeria lacks a meaningful youth development program, because the world knows that if one existed the team would be dominated by local youths.
Bell
What's new?
You think there haven't been dark discussion in high quarters and low quarters about how British/French/Italian sport in general has become dominated by "immigrants"?

You think there haven't been complaints about how "immigrants with funny names" i.e. Africans are filling up their national football youth teams, the full national team and even their top club sides?

You have forgotten how the French World Cup squads have forever been under constant barrage in sections of their press for fielding so many "immigrants" i.e. Africans

You think there wasn't a huge brouhaha when Gianluca Vialli's Chelsea fielded the first ever all-foreign EPL team line up (amongst whom was Babayaro) in '99, and six years later in 2005 Arsene Wenger's Arsenal fielded the first ever EPL all-foreign squad?

You think there aren't closet whingers and whiners bitching about how foreign managers absolutely dominate their elite league and even at one point were the only viable candidates for their national team?

In soccer, THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS VICTORY.
Nobody is going to remember the fine details of how it is achieved as long as it is legitimate.
Can you, for instance, name the 'foreign-born' Algerians that won the last AFCON?

Everyone is doing it one way or another and Nigeria which is actually not naturalising players, but fielding legitimate dual nationals, is self-criticising.

"Some national teams have been far from reserved in welcoming foreign born players into their ranks. Belgium adopted and adored the Croatian Josip Weber in the first half of the nineties and, more recently, his fellow countryman Branko Strupar - both were naturalized specifically for inclusion in the national team. Over the last six years Austria has created a little Croatian legion of four, Ivica Vastic being the best of them, and indeed the top Austrian player for several years.

Germany have looked much further afield to fill the attacking void created by the retirements of Klinsmann, Bierhoff and Kirsten. The list includes the Bobic (Slovenia), Rink (Brazil), Dundee (South Africa), Neuville (French Swiss), Asamoah (Ghana), Kurany (Hungary/Brazil) and the Klose and Podolski (both Polish). The Poland national team has responded by including the Nigerian Emanuel Olisadebe.

Sweden have included a number of players from South Eastern Europe, most prominently Zlatan Ibrahimovic."
https://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile ... lized.html
Even the 1.4 billion-strong Chinese are doing it and recently naturalised a Brazilian. :lol:

Abeg, leave matta.
The world is changing and moving on fast.

Anybody wey no like am can stay back and fully embrace a transformer.

SOME DIFFERENCES IN THOSE EUROPEAN COUNTRIES YOU'RE CITING

1) They have a good youth development program
2) Those "foreign" players have foreign names because their parents are immigrants; the players themselves are mostly native-born and are citizens.

Maybe if you're a parent in Nigeria and you know your kid doesn't have a chance because of the neglect by those who are supposed to develop them, you might think differently.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:
ogasir wrote:Pretty soon the entire SE will be oyinbo
This view is becoming very tiresome to be honest. A lot of Nigerian kids born overseas (myself included) identify very strongly with Nigeria considering that racial discrimination faced growing up.

When these guys opt to play for Nigeria, there is a strong sense of having found a home in a lot of them and just stepping foot in Nigeria and people saying welcome home, might seem mundane, but it has a profound effect on a person. Trivialising this topic can become very toxic and potentially limit the growth of the team.
The choice of the word 'oyinbo' justifies your reaction but it is still a talking point that we are increasingly recruiting footballers who were born or grew up abroad. I'm not against this trend as I have constantly defended these players when their claim to Nigerian citizenship is attacked by some on this forum. Besides, if my British born son is lucky enough to be a good footballer, you can bet that I'll push for him to choose Nigeria.

My worry is that the NFF is becoming so reliant on these players that it is not nurturing talent back home. We have seen the results of the NFF's U-13 initiative from a few years ago - players like Osimhen, Chukwueze, Iheanacho Nwakali etc.

It is in our interest that we keep both avenues for talent open.

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT (See the highlighted) BUT...

...some are busy setting up strawmen and ignoring it.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:
This view is becoming very tiresome to be honest. A lot of Nigerian kids born overseas (myself included) identify very strongly with Nigeria considering that racial discrimination faced growing up.

When these guys opt to play for Nigeria, there is a strong sense of having found a home in a lot of them and just stepping foot in Nigeria and people saying welcome home, might seem mundane, but it has a profound effect on a person. Trivialising this topic can become very toxic and potentially limit the growth of the team.
The choice of the word 'oyinbo' justifies your reaction but it is still a talking point that we are increasingly recruiting footballers who were born or grew up abroad. I'm not against this trend as I have constantly defended these players when their claim to Nigerian citizenship is attacked by some on this forum. Besides, if my British born son is lucky enough to be a good footballer, you can bet that I'll push for him to choose Nigeria.

My worry is that the NFF is becoming so reliant on these players that it is not nurturing talent back home. We have seen the results of the NFF's U-13 initiative from a few years ago - players like Osimhen, Chukwueze, Iheanacho Nwakali etc.

I don't see the Algerians, Ivoriens, Morrocans, even the French etc complain about tapping into the huge reservoir of their "foreign born" talents despite having relatively better leagues than ours... why should this even be an issue? I'm tired of you whining little girls on here honestly.

THE LEAGUE IS NOT ISSUE

The issue is the YOUTH programs.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

mystic wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

I don't see the Algerians, Ivoriens, Morrocans, even the French etc complain about tapping into the huge reservoir of their "foreign born" talents despite having relatively better leagues than ours... why should this even be an issue? I'm tired of you whining little girls on here honestly.

It's not whining. He's making a very salient observation. He just expressed himself very poorly the first time. For Nigeria to reach her full potential, development of the talent at home can't be ignored.
I'M NOT SURE WHY THAT POINT IS SO HARD FOR SOME TO GRASP AND EMBRACE

Instead they are busy setting up and attacking strawmen.
Bell
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

THE LEAGUE IS NOT ISSUE

Bell

The league is the lifeblood of any national game.

Even the youth programs cannot be completely divorced from the league, re clubs...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

'Recruiting' the best players of Nigerian heritage who are willing to play for our National teams from anywhere in the world and aiming to build a strong local youth/developmental system and league are not mutually exclusive processes. These should be the goal for our administrators. It allows for a race to the top or as 45 says 'up-plays' things.

By the way welcome to the young man, let us hope he helps make the Eagles even stronger and also helps his career in the process.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Lots of defenders, I am not complaining but just saying , **** has completely turned us to Park the bus
Obviously they are not going to play 11 defenders all at once are they?
No mind Bigpokey24. Anything associated with Rohr is not good for his eyes and ears
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Flex Swift wrote:What will be Nigieria's target come the next ANC?
Let's qualify for the AFCON tournament, first
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damunk wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:What will be Nigieria's target come the next ANC?
Surely win the AFCON, nothing less than that. Rohr has no excuse again... he has been given the time and now has a even better squad ahead of the AFCON
I hope the coach speaks with confidence during the nation cup press conferences ...... I am sick of Nigeria. being depicted as pussies
You prefer the 'loudmouth' depiction?
Cos that's how the Nigerian generally trends. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 'Loudmouth' and boastful, yet will achieve nothing in the end.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ikemba_nacho wrote:

Thank you, Ikemba! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

fabio wrote:
aruako1 wrote: The choice of the word 'oyinbo' justifies your reaction but it is still a talking point that we are increasingly recruiting footballers who were born or grew up abroad. I'm not against this trend as I have constantly defended these players when their claim to Nigerian citizenship is attacked by some on this forum. Besides, if my British born son is lucky enough to be a good footballer, you can bet that I'll push for him to choose Nigeria.

The first thing Pinnick did was to scrap the programme. Then reduce allowances paid to the junior team across board. When he was called his supporters went into hiding.

We know Pinnick agenda. He doesn´t believe in anything home grown or home made. 3 more years to go!
Even as we argue here, Nigeria does not even have a U17 coach nor squad for the African qualifiers next month (albeit I personally think it should be postponed) and is reportedly in danger of being banned for the next 4 years. SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

mystic wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

It's not whining. He's making a very salient observation. He just expressed himself very poorly the first time. For Nigeria to reach her full potential, development of the talent at home can't be ignored.
While I do not know what was in the original commenter's (nor, for that matter, anyone else's) mind, nonetheless as an "Oyinbo" (foreign-born, part foreign-blood), let me just add that it is actually neither considered as an offensive nor derogatory term, and many Oyinbo are intelligent (and self-assured) enough to recognize it for the descriptive/ascriptive term most Nigerians use it as. Personally, the tickling thing about taking on folks like Damunk and other Oyinbophiles on CE is that since they cannot rationally accuse me of racism (or self-hate), they are compelled to jettison the emotive diversions and actually discuss SUBSTANCE.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Purity wrote:Kevin Ofuoma Akpoguma Na Warri boy.. He is good for Nigeria.. He was the captain of the German U-20 National, helping the team reach the quarterfinals of the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. No be moi moi to captain Germany...
But he has consistently struggled at the senior club level...
"Proving" he is likely an age cheat...oh wait, he wasn't born in Nigeria. :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

hestonap wrote:'Recruiting' the best players of Nigerian heritage who are willing to play for our National teams from anywhere in the world and aiming to build a strong local youth/developmental system and league are not mutually exclusive processes. These should be the goal for our administrators. It allows for a race to the top or as 45 says 'up-plays' things.

By the way welcome to the young man, let us hope he helps make the Eagles even stronger and also helps his career in the process.

WHICH IS ALL WE'RE ASKING FOR, BUT...

...for some reason some become uncomfortable whenever the local aspect is mentioned.
Bell
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Bell wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

THE LEAGUE IS NOT ISSUE

Bell

The league is the issue as well as the youth program. There is tremendous talent in Nigeria. It's just that it's raw and underdeveloped. Unfortunately we do not seem to have the will or the foresight to do things properly.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

mystic wrote:
Bell wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

THE LEAGUE IS NOT ISSUE

Bell

The league is the issue as well as the youth program. There is tremendous talent in Nigeria. It's just that it's raw and underdeveloped. Unfortunately we do not seem to have the will or the foresight to do things properly.
It requires long term planning which is alien to our contemporary culture.
I am happy
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

hestonap wrote:'Recruiting' the best players of Nigerian heritage who are willing to play for our National teams from anywhere in the world and aiming to build a strong local youth/developmental system and league are not mutually exclusive processes. These should be the goal for our administrators. It allows for a race to the top or as 45 says 'up-plays' things.

Thank you! That was all I was trying to say before one particularly immature poster accused me of "whining" :D :D :D
jdizzy
Egg
Egg

Post by jdizzy »

Meanwhile who is this Marvin Olawale Akinlabi Park chap on Real Madrid's bench ?
Niente Ÿ impossibile!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Part of that 'struggle' can be attributed to injuries. Otherwise, he has had a consistent club career.
Gotti wrote:
Purity wrote:Kevin Ofuoma Akpoguma Na Warri boy.. He is good for Nigeria.. He was the captain of the German U-20 National, helping the team reach the quarterfinals of the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. No be moi moi to captain Germany...
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Gotti wrote:
mystic wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

While I do not know what was in the original commenter's (nor, for that matter, anyone else's) mind, nonetheless as an "Oyinbo" (foreign-born, part foreign-blood), let me just add that it is actually neither considered as an offensive nor derogatory term, and many Oyinbo are intelligent (and self-assured) enough to recognize it for the descriptive/ascriptive term most Nigerians use it as. Personally, the tickling thing about taking on folks like Damunk and other Oyinbophiles on CE is that since they cannot rationally accuse me of racism (or self-hate), they are compelled to jettison the emotive diversions and actually discuss SUBSTANCE.

Its about context bro. Context...

And the context in which it is used here on CE, by the serial users of the term is inherently discriminatory.

As for the substance, I am waiting for someone to actually tell me what it is, besides mentioning the unrelated issue of developing local players.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I feel like with the emergence of all of these new CBs, we should actually convert some of them to be DM's.

Ajayi, Ekong, Omeruo, Awaziem, Balogun, Adarabioyo, Udokhai, Akpoguma,

Can somebody tell me none of these guys are better than Mikel Agu, Azuibikwe, in that DM position ?

I know Ajayi has played there before.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Otitokoro wrote:Part of that 'struggle' can be attributed to injuries. Otherwise, he has had a consistent club career.
Gotti wrote:
It’s clearly a sarcastic comment...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote:I feel like with the emergence of all of these new CBs, we should actually convert some of them to be DM's.

Ajayi, Ekong, Omeruo, Awaziem, Balogun, Adarabioyo, Udokhai, Akpoguma,

Can somebody tell me none of these guys are better than Mikel Agu, Azuibikwe, in that DM position ?

I know Ajayi has played there before.

You should watch Frank Onyeka at Midtjylland

Started for them in the Champions League in the #6 DM role in a 4-3-3