I don't care, I just have one question

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I don't care, I just have one question

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:
deanotito wrote:Disagree. What I’m saying is that Rohr’s proposed style is not optimal for the kind of player he has in his team. The only player with that level of technical ability has since retired ...Mikel Obi.

The team can succeed (and by success, I mean at least a quarter final birth at the WC) but to do that, I think a change of style is necessary.

Playing his current style, Rohr can still maintain Nigeria’s standard as a top 3 African team, but I’m looking for something beyond that.

These players can perform but they need to be put in the right framework.

I hate talking about Keshi on here because I feel the arguments are always emotional. I feel Keshi, by and large, performed just as good as his predecessors/successors. I do not believe he broke any mold. Nigeria is a perennial bronze medalist at the Afcon. 30 years and counting. We were due to win a gold at some point. And we did. But everybody fails to remember that he failed to qualify for the next Afcon....which in my opinion, is way below Nigeria’s standard...just like Berti Vogts getting knocked out in the quarters.

When it comes to breaking the mold for Nigeria, it’s Westerhof and Bonfrere. Amodu had a shot but NFA bad bele no gree am. Keshi also had a shot but self-inflicted wounds at in Brazil did him in IMO. Rohr has a shot ...a real one. But this style to me, is a self-inflicted wound.
Interesting how you offset Keshi's winning of the ANC (at first attempt nonetheless) with his subsequent non-qualification (ignoring the administrative turbulence of being fired and rehired in the midst of the qualifiers), but Bonfrere's supposed "breaking of the mold for Nigeria" (presumably by winning an AGE-GRADE competition, with the cusp Westerhoff's 1994 squad, including Kanu, Taribo and Babangida, all of whom got their debut senior caps in 1994 under Westerhoff) is conveniently NOT offset by his leading Nigeria to its WORST-EVER performance at the 1991 WWC and its WORST-EVER WC qualification campaign (losing to the likes of literally war-torn Sierra Leone and Liberia), until a miraculous rescue by Amodu.

Meanwhile, what exactly did Bonfrere achieve as SE (senior national team) coach? Because if we are extending this so-called "breaking the mold" to AGE-GRADE competitions, then please START with Sebastian Brodericks and add Fanny Amun, Paul Hamilton, Tunde Disu, and Samson Siasia (U20 WYC runners-up and 2 Olympic Games medals, in contrast to Bonfrere's abject failure in his second Olympic Games appearance). Furthermore, since you have chosen to contemptibly dismiss Keshi's ANC championship win as simply Nigeria being "due to win a gold at some point", one presumes that you are similarly expecting Rohr to win the next ANC bacon, since we must surely be "due" another merely by showing up enough times. SMH

PS: Btw, essentially lumping together Keshi with Berti Vogts is the height of insolence.
Oyinbo na Oyinbo now :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: , even I scratched my head when I read that, like ummm what did Bonfrere achieve again with the SE? Taking the best generation of Nigerian players to lose AT HOME IN LAGOS to Cameroon? Effing up our WC qualifications so bad that a local coach has to come clean up his mess?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: I don't care, I just have one question

Post by Otitokoro »

The Liberia game was not an official FIFA recognized friendly game - considering the number of subs used and the fact that George Weah almost played the full 90.
Ajayi was a second half sub in the Uganda friendly - with not enough mins to make a credible rating/ranking of his performance. These two games, in my opinion, would be a better test / assessment of his DM performance.
Gotti wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:This, for someone who delivered a perfect deep, long, cross field pass to Moses, who, between him and Iheanacho, fluffed the opportunity, and from someone whose had a brilliant header cleared off the line?
Please name the last time Ndidi had an effort on goal for Nigeria? Or should we discuss ball turnover ratios between Ndidi and Ajayi?
Not saying he is better than Ndidi, but I thought Ajayi turned in a very disciplined performance and brought some steel into the midfield, considering this was only his second time of playing as a DM for Nigeria and notwithstanding the fact that he played as the sole DM (a role Ndidi has yet to perform - he is always complimented by Etebo or Ndidi who pick up the slack).
Fourth time, actually...
Played DM vs Uganda and Liberia (albeit not 90 mins).

Nonetheless, I agree with most of your post, Ndidi is BETTER (which is why he's first choice)...
However, his primary strength is defensive, just as Ajayi, and he has much of the same offensive play issues.