Simy: Ronaldo? My idol is Kanu

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Paveman
Egg
Egg
Simy: Ronaldo? My idol is Kanu

Post by Paveman »

I'm paraphrasing and summarising an interview on today's Tuttosport:

George Weah won the Golden Ball at Milan, Samuel Eto'o won the Triplete twice (Barcelona & Inter). Yet, Simy, Crotone's bomber, is the only african attacker to have won a top scorer award in Italy's professional leagues. The 28-year old got Crotone back into Serie A last year, having scored 20 goals in the Serie B. He returns to play against Juventus, 2 years after scoring against them with a now-famous overhead kick.

Do you go relive that 2018 moment? What do you think?
When I remember it, I always get great sensations. Unfortunately it was not enough to save Crotone from relegation that year. But it was a goal which gave me hope and conviction in my own talent.

That goal brought you the nickname 'Simynaldo', since you scored the goal only 2 weeks after Cristiano Ronaldo's famous overhead kick against Juventus while playing for Real Madrid?
The nickname was fun for the but I have remained the same person. More than scoring a back heel against Juventus, I am now working hard with the team to prepare for the game. It will be very hard, but we will have to suffer to get our first points this season.

You also played in Portugal, but this is the first time playing against Ronaldo. Your thoughts?
It's a dream come true. Cristiano is not only a world-class player, but one of the best in history. It will be special for me, my teammates and for Crotone. Pity there will not be fans at the stadium. Seeing CR7 live would have been a football feast for all our people. I will try to ask him for his shirt, but I guess I won't be the only one...

Is Ronaldo your role model?
My font of inspiration is my compatriot Kanu. He was my idol growing up, I sided with Arsenal because of him. He was a really special attacker. Everywhere he played, before and even after his sickness during his time at Inter, he won. Ajax, Inter, Arsenal, even with Portsmouth, he lifted a trophy!

Crotone play Juventus this weekend.