Match Report on the Nigeria 1 Tunisia 1 game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Match Report on the Nigeria 1 Tunisia 1 game

Post by Enugu II »

Dessers had endeared himself to Nigeria after his remarkable show of affiliation to the country in a video just before his first invitation to the national team earlier this year. Of course, the Covid situation delayed his debut until today. As for Ejuke, he was dubbed the new JJ Okocha and many had called for hid invitation and it took a while before Manager Gernot Rohr relented and invited the kid.
Overall, Nigeria has shown early signs of building a strong team and it is fortunate that the team will have the benefit of facing a comparably weaker Sierra Leone opponent in the coming months before confronting the big guns of Africa. That should present opportunities to further build this team into a stronger unit. But were there some nuggets from these two internationals? Yes, certainly goalie Okoye, although rarely tested against the Tunisians, showed that he belongs. There also was Zaidu Sanusi. The games against Sierra Leone may yet add others.
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2020/10/n ... s-and.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Match Report on the Nigeria 1 Tunisia 1 game

Post by deanotito »

Be like say Enugu don dey come over to our side on Balogun. The boy can play. It’s just that he’s a tad bit too slow at this age
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Prof, with all due respect, even though Ejuke came on and decided to dribble his way past half of the Tunisian backline, he still came across as a highly immature player - much like JJ in his early days when his end product was completely absent and not playing for the team.
SE can ill afford to have such a hit or miss player, as they typically do more harm than good to the team cause. Frankly, your 6.3 ranking is laughable for such a player who had no end product (cross, pass or shot on goal). He easily could have put Simon through clean on goal during his dribbling run, but of course, opted to showboat instead. I will be surprised if he is considered for future invitations.

Dessers, on the other hand, had a disciplined performance with his strenght on the ball and holdup play. Another admirable trait was his ability to pressure high up the field, something Musa struggled to do and something Osimhen does superbly well. I most definitely would like to see more of him in the future.
Enugu II wrote:
Dessers had endeared himself to Nigeria after his remarkable show of affiliation to the country in a video just before his first invitation to the national team earlier this year. Of course, the Covid situation delayed his debut until today. As for Ejuke, he was dubbed the new JJ Okocha and many had called for hid invitation and it took a while before Manager Gernot Rohr relented and invited the kid.
Overall, Nigeria has shown early signs of building a strong team and it is fortunate that the team will have the benefit of facing a comparably weaker Sierra Leone opponent in the coming months before confronting the big guns of Africa. That should present opportunities to further build this team into a stronger unit. But were there some nuggets from these two internationals? Yes, certainly goalie Okoye, although rarely tested against the Tunisians, showed that he belongs. There also was Zaidu Sanusi. The games against Sierra Leone may yet add others.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote:Be like say Enugu don dey come over to our side on Balogun. The boy can play. It’s just that he’s a tad bit too slow at this age
LOL. Dean, I will give you that he has played well in the two friendlies but overall I am still not sold on the guy ooo! For me, I hope that I am wrong in the long run.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro,

Ejuke's rating is not based on the dribble but his overall involvement in the game. Dessers was not that involved as I saw it. I will give you that Dessers' not being involved is not all his fault but I think that making himself available matters. Take the much maligned Musa, he creates opportunities for others and was involved not just in the goal but in earning the pk. I look for a forward to be involved even in the less minutes that he was there. I would not paint Dessers bad to be honest but I saw nothing that wowed me either.
Otitokoro wrote:Prof, with all due respect, even though Ejuke came on and decided to dribble his way past half of the Tunisian backline, he still came across as a highly immature player - much like JJ in his early days when his end product was completely absent and not playing for the team.
SE can ill afford to have such a hit or miss player, as they typically do more harm than good to the team cause. Frankly, your 6.3 ranking is laughable for such a player who had no end product (cross, pass or shot on goal). He easily could have put Simon through clean on goal during his dribbling run, but of course, opted to showboat instead. I will be surprised if he is considered for future invitations.

Dessers, on the other hand, had a disciplined performance with his strenght on the ball and holdup play. Another admirable trait was his ability to pressure high up the field, something Musa struggled to do and something Osimhen does superbly well. I most definitely would like to see more of him in the future.
Enugu II wrote:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Its difficult to reach a conclusion from watching a 10 minute cameo so i went to youtube to watch some highlights of his club games (mostly in Holland were he scored 9 goals from 25 appearances). He's definitely very talented with potential for end product. I hope he is invited in future games especially against Sierra Leone against whom he should have more joy. At a minimum, he's a player that can come off the bench and bring excitement to the boys in situations that ask for added imagination.
Otitokoro wrote:Prof, with all due respect, even though Ejuke came on and decided to dribble his way past half of the Tunisian backline, he still came across as a highly immature player - much like JJ in his early days when his end product was completely absent and not playing for the team.

Enugu II wrote:
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:Otitokoro,

Ejuke's rating is not based on the dribble but his overall involvement in the game. Dessers was not that involved as I saw it. I will give you that Dessers' not being involved is not all his fault but I think that making himself available matters. Take the much maligned Musa, he creates opportunities for others and was involved not just in the goal but in earning the pk. I look for a forward to be involved even in the less minutes that he was there. I would not paint Dessers bad to be honest but I saw nothing that wowed me either.

Enugu II wrote:
Rohr is too damn conservative it's infuriating. This is the same stupid thing he did at the AFCON when he failed to give Osimhen enough playing time against Mozambique after qualification was assured. Had he done that and Osimhen had used that match to get his feet wet, who knows he could've been ready and played when we needed him against Algeria.

Dessers, Ejuke and Ebuehi shoukd've gotten way more playing time in these two games. Had Ndidi been available I bet Semi wouldn't have played and we'd still be wondering about him. But now we know. At least the German born defender got his so that's something.

I don't even understand how Onuachu got the nod over Dessers considering he was a replacement who didn't make the initial call up while Dessers made the original list.

Ah well. On to the next one...or two. :P
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

I'm so glad to finally see Ejuke balling for us, hope to see Yussuf soon.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley