Unleashed: The Enugu Rangers Revolution (1970-1977)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Aswani
Egg
Egg
Re: Unleashed: The Enugu Rangers Revolution (1970-1977)

Post by Aswani »

Enugu II wrote:
Aswani wrote:
ukwala wrote:. The perception in Enugu then was that the NFA and perhaps higher powers did not want Rangers to win and Rangers went to Lagos dejected and psychologically defeated. That was by far Nigeria’s best chance of winning the African cup of champions until Enyimba won it in 2003.
I am going to disagree with you on this Ukwala, these are seasoned professionals about to play an African Champions Cup final.

I think, if anything, they would have wanted to stick it to the NFA or whoever it was that changed the venue.
Aswani,

Seasoned professionals or not, they remain HUMAN BEINGS and susceptible to similar effects. They are not robots. Here, you are believing you have a very important match in a friendly venue in Enugu and training for it.

As far as I remember, the change of venue came way too late and the team had to travel quite late to Lagos. The psychological effect of that had to be enormous, particularly in a crucial game against a team that was arguably the most dreaded in Africa at the time.

Bros, never underrate such odds.
Uncle Enugu II,

I obviously have immense respect for you so I am going to tread carefully in disagreeing with you.

There are lots of other reasons why Rangers lost, I would be surprised changing venue would be high on the list.

"Dejected and Psychologically defeated" would never have applied to a Rangers team of the 70's IMHO.

Obviously, the change of venue was a total nonsense and indicative of the poor football administration we have had in Nigeria. I truly believe Rangers and IICC would have won between them at least 3 African Champions Cup matches in the 70's if it wasn't for the shocking standard of football administration.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

cic old boy wrote:Very powerful stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOpCMNo ... e=youtu.be[/video]
Lovely video, truly powerful, thanks for posting it "cic old boy".

That Rangers can keep churning out players season after season in the 70's and 80's despite the yearly exodus to the US and wherever is a testament to the club. Boys become men in that jersey and I am not a Rangers fan but a fan of the ethic/traditions of the club.

Would have loved to hear a mention of Commander Igwilo* at some point but I guess that wasn't the era the video was directed at.

*My favourite ever Rangers player, I once saw him play against First Bank and every single time he touched the ball something positive happened, and I mean every single time.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Aswani wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Very powerful stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOpCMNo ... e=youtu.be[/video]
Lovely video, truly powerful, thanks for posting it "cic old boy".

That Rangers can keep churning out players season after season in the 70's and 80's despite the yearly exodus to the US and wherever is a testament to the club. Boys become men in that jersey and I am not a Rangers fan but a fan of the ethic/traditions of the club.

Would have loved to hear a mention of Commander Igwilo* at some point but I guess that wasn't the era the video was directed at.

*My favourite ever Rangers player, I once saw him play against First Bank and every single time he touched the ball something positive happened, and I mean every single time.
he was another version of sylvanus opkala with a different body type
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."