SE considering boycotting ANCQ

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE considering boycotting ANCQ

Post by Enugu II »

In my view, the players should consider BOYCOTT as a viable option. Football is not bigger than the atrocities that occurred in Nigeria a few days ago in the hands of a rogue regime. Make no mistake about that. In my view, if it takes boycotting the World Cup to get the attention of the rulers and their minions, so be it. But a huge message needs to be sent.

The only thing that I wonder about, however, is how viable it is to carry out such a boycott because scabs can be called up in place of these guys. Thus, if the players indeed seek such a boycott then they must have a wider body of players involved in order to discourage the use of scabs. FIFA sanctions or not.

Football is not and will never be bigger than the murder of those youths. Maximum pressure should be brought to bear on the state to rethink those acts and find ways to deliver satisfactory justice. In my view, I commend the players for thinking about this option but its practicality is likely going to drive the eventual decision.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Enugu II wrote:In my view, the players should consider BOYCOTT as a viable option. Football is not bigger than the atrocities that occurred in Nigeria a few days ago in the hands of a rogue regime. Make no mistake about that. In my view, if it takes boycotting the World Cup to get the attention of the rulers and their minions, so be it. But a huge message needs to be sent.

The only thing that I wonder about, however, is how viable it is to carry out such a boycott because scabs can be called up in place of these guys. Thus, if the players indeed seek such a boycott then they must have a wider body of players involved in order to discourage the use of scabs. FIFA sanctions or not.

Football is not and will never be bigger than the murder of those youths. Maximum pressure should be brought to bear on the state to rethink those acts and find ways to deliver satisfactory justice. In my view, I commend the players for thinking about this option but its practicality is likely going to drive the eventual decision.
Chief, I think we really have to make sure we know what really happened. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to ascertain what really happened all I can say is it's still not very clear. There has been a lot of distortions in social media

I'm happy the Lagos state government has now publicly stated that they have CCTV footage of what happened. We need to put pressure on them to actually publicly release the tape.
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Schillachi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:In my view, the players should consider BOYCOTT as a viable option. Football is not bigger than the atrocities that occurred in Nigeria a few days ago in the hands of a rogue regime. Make no mistake about that. In my view, if it takes boycotting the World Cup to get the attention of the rulers and their minions, so be it. But a huge message needs to be sent.

Chief, I think we really have to make sure we know what really happened. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to ascertain what really happened all I can say is it's still not very clear. There has been a lot of distortions in social media

I'm happy the Lagos state government has now publicly stated that they have CCTV footage of what happened. We need to put pressure on them to actually publicly release the tape.
What is it you need to ascertain? That youths were murdered by the military? Has that not been already admitted by the authorities?

There is nothing to ascertain in terms of the murder of those youths.

If you are talking about other matters then maybe and in that case be explicit on what those things may be. But the cold blooded murder is undeniable now.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Schillachi wrote:

KPOM

People are rushing to judgement. I think there is more to this than the simple narratives being trotted out. As I stated in Rant and Rave, this has all the hallmarks of foreign meddling, and is very similar to how all the unrest started in Libya, and Syria, and those were conflicts started by foreign meddling. US foreign policy hawks have written papers about "disintegrating Nigeria" and splintering it into seperate pieces, this is not a new agenda. I think people need to be calm and not make rash decisions. Nobody knows what really happened.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

why were the lights turned off before the massacre ? Does that make any sense ? That to me is a red flag, turning off the lights even is a hinderence to the Army or whomever in targeting their victims. The only purpose of turning off the lights would be to conceal the identity of the attackers. That is all I'm going to say.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote:
Schillachi wrote:

KPOM

People are rushing to judgement. I think there is more to this than the simple narratives being trotted out. As I stated in Rant and Rave, this has all the hallmarks of foreign meddling, and is very similar to how all the unrest started in Libya, and Syria, and those were conflicts started by foreign meddling. US foreign policy hawks have written papers about "disintegrating Nigeria" and splintering it into seperate pieces, this is not a new agenda. I think people need to be calm and not make rash decisions. Nobody knows what really happened.
VE,

You can keep wondering. Many Nigerians are not and should not be. The perpetrators have basically admitted those actions. If you choose to believe the rubbish stories that its up to you. The fact is that the cold blooded murder of those youths happened and the culprits are state agents. That much is no longer deniable.

In my view, that is simply unforgivable. Any acts in protest by the SE will be fully supported.
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Enugu II wrote:
Schillachi wrote:

What is it you need to ascertain? That youths were murdered by the military? Has that not been already admitted by the authorities?

If you are talking about other matters then maybe and in that case be explicit on what those things may be. But the cold blooded murder is undeniable now.
No sir, the authorities have not admitted to murdering the youths. From my post of R&R, here is what I've found so far..

- It was a peaceful protest
- Soldiers came to the scene and definitely fired live bullets into the air. We have that on video
- It is not clear if they fired directly into the crowd, but it is certainly a possibility.
- There were many injuries. It is possible that the some may have been hit by the bullet fired into the crowd that came back down. It is also possible that there were some direct hits into the crowd.
- I've seen no evidence that anyone died on the Lekki tollway grounds
- 2 people have been confirmed to have died in the hospital (per the Lagos state government)
- There has been an extraordinary amount of fake news on social media and some are as follows:
1) The CCTV cameras were removed. False. The CCTV cameras were not removed. The infra red camera that scans license plates were removed
2) There was a massacre with tens of people dead. There has been no evidence that tens of people were killed. I've seen atleast 10 people who were alleged to have died come out on social media to say they were not at Lekki. I've seen footages from plays falsely circulated as Lekki massacre. Many footages of people that died in other places have been circulated to be many from Lekki and has been debunked.

What I find so funny is how people are arguing back and forth about what happened and no one has thought to put pressure on the Lagos state government to release the CCTV footage that they have admitted exist.
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote:The SE are not playing the game for the government.
They are playing for the people.
They are not FGN ambassadors.
They are the people's ambassadors.

When they lose a game, patapata 10,000 govt people feel sad, but 100 million+ Nigerians are saddened.

So what is the sense in cutting off your nose to spite your face by boycotting one of the few things that give the people joy? Why not ask all our musicians and actors to boycott their trade in solidarity with the people?

The suggestion is silly.

Who e go pain pass? :roll:
The SE player will NOT listen to a person like you. If Adarabioyo had listened to you, his career will be dead :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Just look at those shouting the SE should not boycott while living in the west comfortably. People are getting shot and murdered, you people are thinking of some pathetic 90mins of chasing a round object to satisfy your own entertainment....smh. NBA players , NFL players all kneel now...google KAP.....sports is irrelevant when lives are lost.
These low lives are more interested in enjoying a game of football in the comfort of their western homes. They couldnt give a damn about our brothers and sisters who were shot dead on the road. Selfish cvnts.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:...a coordinated protest on the field will do. Wearing an armband, t-shirt, or a statement be read before kickoff, as long as the NFA and the African football authorities sanction it.
Exactly.
And everyone is happy.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Including those who were murdered, right?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Flex Swift wrote:Why don’t they take the knee during the National Anthem and continue to do so for further matches embarrassing the Buhari regime each time rather than risk being banned and thrown out of the competition and no publicity to their cause.
You can take the knee and go on the pitch to play. Thats your problem.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Schillachi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Schillachi wrote:

No sir, the authorities have not admitted to murdering the youths. From my post of R&R, here is what I've found so far..

- Soldiers came to the scene and definitely fired live bullets into the air. We have that on video
- It is not clear if they fired directly into the crowd, but it is certainly a possibility.
- There were many injuries. It is possible that the some may have been hit by the bullet fired into the crowd that came back down. It is also possible that there were some direct hits into the crowd.
- 2 people have been confirmed to have died in the hospital (per the Lagos state government)
- There has been an extraordinary amount of fake news on social media and some are as follows:
1) The CCTV cameras were removed. False. The CCTV cameras were not removed. The infra red camera that scans license plates were removed
2) There was a massacre with tens of people dead. There has been no evidence that tens of people were killed. I've seen atleast 10 people who were alleged to have died come out on social media to say they were not at Lekki. I've seen footages from plays falsely circulated as Lekki massacre. Many footages of people that died in other places have been circulated to be many from Lekki and has been debunked.

What I find so funny is how people are arguing back and forth about what happened and no one has thought to put pressure on the Lagos state government to release the CCTV footage that they have admitted exist.
:roll: :roll: your own empty agbada wearing buhari admits to about 69 dead, and we all know those numbers are actually higher

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nigeria-end- ... 55796.html
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari says 69 people have been killed in protests against police brutality that have rocked the country.

The deaths were mainly civilians but include police officers and soldiers.

The president announced the toll in an emergency meeting with former Nigerian leaders aimed at finding ways to end the unrest, his spokesman told the BBC.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

People forget players play for their selfish reasons not for some altruistic national sentiment. For many of our players SE is a shop window, a chance to build a brand in a new market, go the world cup and win trophies. For every player that refuses to play there will be two more that want the opportunity.

A statement during the matches would suffice.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

John Ogu is in no position to call for a boycott by the Super Eagles.

Moreover, you have to also consider if it is going to be effective. Do you think this regime cares about football or footballers?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cellular wrote:

Moreover, you have to also consider if it is going to be effective. Do you think this regime cares about football or footballers?
you no be am at all, you are getting slower as age creeps on..Ogu has more clouth and can influence the SE more than any of us here on CE
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

you no be am at all, you are getting slower as age creeps on..Ogu has more clouth and can influence the SE more than any of us here on CE
You are not a thinker. I would blame it on youthful exuberance but you are no longer a youth.

The SE doesn't have the clout that you think they have. Protest is about leverage.
What leverage do they have? Self-immolation is a form of protest in some places and is effective in those places but not in Naijaria.

There are ways to protest more effectively.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...do those rogues really care about football?
All they care is grabbing and staying power. Football is for the general populace to enjoy.
I am for a protest, but let it be on the field in the form of a statement before the match, armband by all the players and or a t-shirt with a statement directed at the government.
Win or lose, the leadership is the team should emphasis their statements on the loss of life during press briefing.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

chif456 wrote:People forget players play for their selfish reasons not for some altruistic national sentiment. For many of our players SE is a shop window, a chance to build a brand in a new market, go the world cup and win trophies. For every player that refuses to play there will be two more that want the opportunity.

A statement during the matches would suffice.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: What have you ever done for Nigeria in altruism? What? When you did you NYSC it was because you wanted to find work. When you come to CE its because you want to enjoy football. What exactly have you ever done for Nigeria? What? Slapping your fly infested tongue at people who put their lives in danger and go to different parts of the world to represent our nation.

If you want to make a statement during the match, go ahead and do it! The players will decide what they want to do and there is nothing you can do about it.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:...a coordinated protest on the field will do. Wearing an armband, t-shirt, or a statement be read before kickoff, as long as the NFA and the African football authorities sanction it.
Exactly.
And everyone is happy.
...is everyone happy at the moment with all the verbal condemnation? Unless you calling for a pound of flesh, there is no other way to make a statement without risking ban from fifa.
A strong coordinated effort between the players, fifa, and the nfa to condemn what happened will suffice.
The problem is what player/players will lead this?
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Schillachi wrote:

:roll: :roll: your own empty agbada wearing buhari admits to about 69 dead, and we all know those numbers are actually higher

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nigeria-end- ... 55796.html
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari says 69 people have been killed in protests against police brutality that have rocked the country.

The deaths were mainly civilians but include police officers and soldiers.

The president announced the toll in an emergency meeting with former Nigerian leaders aimed at finding ways to end the unrest, his spokesman told the BBC.
Big pokey, I know say you dey always get headache anytime you try use that your small brain but Buhari was talking about the deaths allover Nigeria not Lekki toll gate. Buhari's number includes civilians, police and army personnel that have been killed in Nigeria so far..
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Why is it a viable option? Sorry, but you only hurt yourself with such boycotts. Last boycott (ANC in SA) had zero impact and made Nigeria regress.
A more impactful statement would be playing the match and wearing t-shirts highlighting the issues and expressing solidarity with the protesters. That would speak louder than a boycott which would be a self inflicted injury on Nigeria's qualification.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:

Cell,

I do not think it is actually about Ogu in terms of whether or not he is in a position to call for a boycott.

The problem is that the NT is a different beast. No one but the NFF (Even that cannot be certain) is in a position to make a boycott effective. The reason is because the team can be selected from a a massive pool of players even those playing in academies, if need be, to represent the SE. That makes it very difficult to ensure an effective boycott.

In terms of whether an effective boycott can affect the leadership in Nigeria? I think an effective one will certainly help. Right now, you can feel the government's desperation to return the country to normalcy. The SE boycotting games contributes to a creation of a problem in returning to that normalcy. That is what an effective boycott could do. However, I do not think a boycott would be possible given the way the NT is built, as I mentioned earlier.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

It would even hurt the players careers because instead actively playing in a big cup of nations stage they would be idling at mama put watching Ghanaian midgets beat chest; abeg we no be America this is a loose loose situation for us zero upside
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."