Is JAG overrated striker.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Are you trying to compare Ruud and Julius??

:roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

i said i would bring this thread up if JAG did not score against SA...sure enuff he didn't even get one shot on target in a 4-0 spanking of SA...due to popular demand lets let this thread slide ..and if he still doesn't score at least 2 aginst benin then yawah go burst...

Even though i am saying this..I m not using JAG's present preformance to judge whther he is overrated or not...Im am using his style of play which i like to sum up as "GRA GRA HUSSLE HUSSLE"...u will notice that strikers withthis style of play never go very far...they say JAG ran 100 meters in 10.3secs...and i guess thats why he is sooooo dependent on his speeed...SOmetimes I think the man is trying to run into the net with the ball....No one- timers and no outside shots..
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
Fegwu
God help us

Post by Fegwu »

JAG is underrated.

But that does not mean we do not have overrated players currently on this present team as well as those waiting on the wings.

For starters;

Obodo Chris
Yakubu
Okocha Augustine
Christian Obodo
Ogbeche Bart
Ikpe

To name just a few.

Please lets not insult the gift God has given us in JA.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

anikulapo wrote:Are you trying to compare Ruud and Julius??

:roll:
i know, that is an insult to JAG :lol: :lol: :arrow:
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Blakes wrote: ...Im am using his style of play which i like to sum up as "GRA GRA HUSSLE HUSSLE"...u will notice that strikers with this style of play never go very far...
Ever heard of David Trezguet? Ruud Van Nisterooy? Alan Shearer? Ian Wright? Gerd Muller?

Blakes wrote: ...they say JAG ran 100 meters in 10.3secs...and i guess thats why he is sooooo dependent on his speeed...
How do you explain Henry or Anelka, then? Speed has nothing to do with it. On a team with more team-play, JAG would be doing very well. But on SE he is one of 2-3 that actually do dirty work, which no one does for him in return.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

Ever heard of David Trezguet? Ruud Van Nisterooy? Alan Shearer? Ian Wright? Gerd Muller?
U cant compare any of those players to JAG..sorry.DId u look at the players u named...if they only hussled thier names wouldn't be on that list...Trezeguet? have u seen that guy hit an outside shot..how many times do u see JAG do that...JAG runs at defenders, tries to make them Fumble and give up the ball
How do you explain Henry or Anelka, then? Speed has nothing to do with it. On a team with more team-play, JAG would be doing very well. But on SE he is one of 2-3 that actually do dirty work, which no one does for him in return.
Once again u cant compare these players to JAG..These players use thier speed smartly ..they are not overdependent on thier speed...Sometimes I think JAG wants to run into the open net with the ball....There are some goals that Henry has scored for Arsenal which JAG only dreams about scoring...maybe your right that JAg would be doing better on a team with more team play...but then again thats one of the marks of a great striker..the ability to create from nothing..I dont think JAG can make it happen himself.....the way Osaze did for his first goal against SA...

JAG can get up there with the calibre of players u mention but he needs to add a few things to his game b4 he become s a lethal striker...the fact that u compare him to those players simply proves my point about him being overrated by Nigerians..

Martins is another player who hussles and uses his speed but thats not all he does..the boy gets assists , he can corss and can take shots..and thats why he plays for inter..
-Biggie
Leaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Leaf »

i have my doubts about JAG.
a good striker has to have power on both feet. does he?
not exactly.

he's quick thats true but, running after the ball doesnt mean much if you dont do anything with it when you get to it.

is he great in the air? not exactly.

osaze showed great promise with his first goal. that was phenomenal. the control, power and placement were world class.
i've never seen that kind of stuff from JAG.

my dos centavos.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

The point is that you cannot claim JAG is overrated *becuase of* thse attributes you mention. Speed is good. Hustle is great. We can only WISH that the rest of the SE could hustle like JAG - of so we would have won the last 2 ANC's!

What JAG lacks is
1) refinement from a good coach - which he wont find in Ukraine
2) weekly top-level competition - wont find in Ukraine
3) teammates who play intelligent football and hustle like him

That is what will put him in a position to score more. He needs a better league club. And most of all the SE is NOT the team where his hustle and unselfishness will actually help him - in contrast to what he could achieve playing on a team like Arsenal or Ajax where team play is actually revered.

As for the Osaze comparisons, I hope the kid is good for real - we need more quality players. But JAG has produced goals for us through thick and think on what were frankly crap SE teams with no clue. Get back to me when OSaze has played 90 mins, let alone to score for 6 games in a row on Onigbide-quality teams!!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

JAG is and still remains SE best striker and nobody comes close to him..

Anikulapo, See wey dey talk when CE dey play na so so last minute you go pull out come hia dey yarn sey JAG no sabi strike. I still dey for the day when you go come strike for CE 11 abi you go pullout again for last minute NFA style.... :P
Soldier of Fortune...
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

What JAG lacks is
1) refinement from a good coach - which he wont find in Ukraine
2) weekly top-level competition - wont find in Ukraine
3) teammates who play intelligent football and hustle like him

so when he gets these things and keeps scoring at a higher level then u guys can come back and block my ears about him...right now he is not there yet as u have clearly pointed out...
-Biggie
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Neither is anybody else we can put on the field - Kanu included. This aint ice-skating - style is irrelevant. In terms of the *only* stat that counts for a stiker ie G-O-A-L S, JAG is our most reliable striker of the last 2 years. No hype there whatsoever.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

Ziontrain, I dont know if other JAG shriners would agree with u.technically, Nigeria does not have one World class striker then...Even Mali has Kanoute...
-Biggie
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
no doubt

Post by ANC »

i am so glad some one else is seeing the same thing i have/had for a long time now. Jag is just too dam onesided in his play! the bro cannot even play with his back to the goal. Even Rasghidi is better than him--which says alot!
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

i am so glad some one else is seeing the same thing i have/had for a long time now. Jag is just too dam onesided in his play! the bro cannot even play with his back to the goal. Even Rasghidi is better than him--which says alot!
Dont mind all these people who are yarning my brother..they have failed to analyse JAG's style of play...a very well organised defense will shut him down...and that i sno great striker in my opinion..
-Biggie
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

JAG is struggling and a goal will calm him down.

I hope he scores against Benin.