Thoughts on Naija V Salone Game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

olu
Egg
Egg
Thoughts on Naija V Salone Game

Post by olu »

1. We were very efficient in the first half, we had 5 shots on goal and scored 4. Part of our problem with defense is we don't press our opponents and we don't possess the ball enough (more of a problem in our previous games).

2. Our play in the second half was lazy and lacked urgency. We gave our opponents too much space on the ball and don't press consistently. Our build up play was too slow particularly in the second half. Even when the game was level with a few minutes to go our pressing and ball movement was still slow. Not sure we can blame humidity or weather. Most of the S'Leone players play outside Africa too.

3. Although I like Rohr my patience is running thin. Akpoguma is not a RB. He looked uncomfortable in that position and struggled to bring the ball forward or contain his man. Ebuehi, Aina, and even Awazeim are better options at RB. Either play Akpoguma at CD or keep him on the bench.

4. Musa should not be in the SE till he finds a club and gets back in shape. He and Iwobi are turn over machines and killed so many attacking moves with their errant passes. When Musa is full of running and taking on players his errant passing can be tolerated a bit, but an out of shape Musa brings little value to our attack.

5. I really hope Ejaria gets approved to play for us soon so Iwobi can move to the wings. Iwobi is still our best option at AM at the moment. He is typically lively and moves well with and off the ball, but his final ball is still erratic. It's rare for a player to score 2 goals in a game and still have so many disappointing moments in the same game. He and Musa killed too many moves in the final third today with their wayward passing. They were guilty of the same in the last CAN.

6. That pitch was terrible though it wasn't the reason for the draw. We need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot by playing on such bad pitches. Is there no decent pitch in Nigeria outside Uyo? That's a real shame if that is the case. If Uyo is the only good pitch in Nigeria then the SE should play there till the other pitches are refurbished.

7. We will win the return leg and convincingly too. I don't think we've lost 2 competitive games in a row under Rohr. At the moment, Rohr still has my backing, but he is losing my confidence. I will wait and see how our next 3 games go before deciding whether to jump off the Rohr ship. I can't tolerate anymore of unfit Musa and Akpoguma at RB though!

8. I don't trust NFF to find a suitable replacement if the need arises to fire Rohr. It would probably take them 6 months to find an European journey man. Alternatively, the ex-internationals that are being brandished as possible replacements don't inspire me with confidence since they have limited coaching experience.

9. Rohr and the players both share the blame for this embarrassing draw.