Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13928
Location: USA
vancity eagle wrote:
deanotito wrote:
1naija wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Appoint Amuneke and the coach that was coaching in Albania as his assistant on a short term basis to see how it goes. We can scout for a long term coach if it doesn't work out.



What would be the reason for firing Rohr now? Because we are winning our group?

Rohr's record with a senior national team is better than that of Amunike, so there is no justification to fire him when we are at the top of the group table. I do think Rohr cannot coach us past Algeria or Senegal, but neither can Anunike or Finidi. I think Rohr will leave after the Nations cup, at which point someone else can be appointed.


Exactly. There is no basis to fire Rohr now. Firing him would be a step short of insane if you really think about it.

There’s more than enough time to fire him after a major milestone like the Nations Cup.



actually firing after the nations cup would be even much worse.

You would have no competitive games until the World Cup, (if we qualify)

thats why I say, unless the ANC is a disaster we should stick with Rohr to the WC.

No coach will come in and magically change the team without any competitive matches, and only a few friendlies. We've been down that road before.

IF, and I am not saying he should be, but IF he were to be fired, this would be the opportune time to do it.

You would basically have an easy path to qualification for ANC, and have 2 ANCQ matches to prosecute without much pressure, and then begin WCQ in June, hopefully with a friendly in that period as well. You now have a 4 month layoff until the next FIFA window.

If it doesn't happen now, it should not happen until after Qatar 2022, or if we fail to qualify.

Again I dont advocate it, but Now would be better than after the 2022 aFCON.


You make an excellent point.... But I’m coming at it from the rationality of it all. Firing a coach who’s leading a qualifying group just because he squandered (albeit disgracefully) a 4-0 lead??

I’m generally a believer that organizational reputation matters. If you are going to be able to attract the kind of coaching talent that you think Nigeria deserves, then your organizational reputation matters. If you fire coaches under such circumstances, you will only be able to attract mercenaries and desperados. This is Nigeria, not Real Madrid

I have seen Nigeria play better than Rohr’s SE and yet still not win jack. I see no hard evidence that Rohr is any worse than his predecessors on balance.

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:56 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43395
Location: UK
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Ok, even if I buy that, I see nothing in Egu’s history that tells me he will deliver better results than Rohr. Egu was a decent SE coach. In fact, I’ll go as far as saying he was underrated. But firing Rohr has to be for someone decisively better...and I don’t see any indication that Egu is that.

Rohr does not deserve to be fired.


Prof said he has a better win percentage, why are you using 'feelings' to 'see nothing'? :biggrin: Lets not be so scared of change that we just accept what Rohr is serving us...if we did want to make a change this is probably as good a time as any, we don't want to wait till we miss out on a tournament or right before the tournament starts to be making a change.


When Rohr was hired, I disagreed with it based on the same logic you’re ridiculing. I didn’t see anything in record that said he would be a success with the SE. So to me, he has overperformed and succeeded. But that does not translate into me changing my framework. Rohr has been a coach for longer and has achieved (and surpassed) same level of accolades as Egu achieved at his peak. “Winning record” no be accolade


Dean,

While I agree that at the time of Rohr's hiring there had been concerns. I did raise some pointing out that this guy was a defensive-minded fella going by his antecedents with several other African countries. That take has been borne out. In my view, he has not overachieved. He is what he is -- a middling manager. What he has done in Nigeria is simply because he had better talent at his disposal. If you look at it, several Nigerian managers (BTW, Rohr has one of the longest tenure as Nigeria's Manager) have achieved more!

As for Ego? I would not say that he achieved any less than Rohr given same period and time. In fact., one can argue that Ego did more. Egu had an opportunity to lead the team to AFCON. He did and earned a bronze. Rohr did not do better in an AFCON. As for a WC run, Rohr had an opportunity and Egu did not. Then in terms of winning percentage, Egu has a better winning percentage.

Now, this not to state that I want Egu taking over. Not at all. In my view, I would demur because of personality. I think that you really need a strong personality to be a Nigerian and fight off the sharks and lead Eagles to great heights. It is a characteristic that Keshi and Amodu had.
For how many games was Egu in charge of the SE?
That puts the "win ratio" in full context.


Damunk,


Enough games when you compare him to a lot of SE coaches. He coached 17 games which is exactly the number of games managed by Johaness Bonfrereand more than the number managed by the likes of Daniel Anyiam, Beth-Helavi, Udemezue, Berti Vogts, Les Courtier, first stint of Paul Hamilton, Manfred Hoener, Lars Lagerbeck, Thijs Lobregts, Oliseh, Samson Siasia, etc.
Yeah, but we're talking about Rohr who has been in charge of roughly about 42 games now.
So comparing Egu's 17 games and his win ratio to a 40+ game manager isn't exactly a fair comparison.
What is Egu's win ratio?

And anyway, what I have noticed here on CE is that game 'win ratio' is generally denigrated when Rohr's record compares favourably to others (eg Keshi's).
If it compares poorly (as in this case of Egu, if indeed it does) then people elevate the importance again.

Just for the record, Rohr's win ration is about 52%.

Rohr has simply put pressure on himself from the 4 games this year and even his strongest backers will not be happy.
I certainly am not but we need credible alternatives which are not being given because they simply do not exist at the moment.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13928
Location: USA
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Ok, even if I buy that, I see nothing in Egu’s history that tells me he will deliver better results than Rohr. Egu was a decent SE coach. In fact, I’ll go as far as saying he was underrated. But firing Rohr has to be for someone decisively better...and I don’t see any indication that Egu is that.

Rohr does not deserve to be fired.


Prof said he has a better win percentage, why are you using 'feelings' to 'see nothing'? :biggrin: Lets not be so scared of change that we just accept what Rohr is serving us...if we did want to make a change this is probably as good a time as any, we don't want to wait till we miss out on a tournament or right before the tournament starts to be making a change.


When Rohr was hired, I disagreed with it based on the same logic you’re ridiculing. I didn’t see anything in record that said he would be a success with the SE. So to me, he has overperformed and succeeded. But that does not translate into me changing my framework. Rohr has been a coach for longer and has achieved (and surpassed) same level of accolades as Egu achieved at his peak. “Winning record” no be accolade


Dean,

While I agree that at the time of Rohr's hiring there had been concerns. I did raise some pointing out that this guy was a defensive-minded fella going by his antecedents with several other African countries. That take has been borne out. In my view, he has not overachieved. He is what he is -- a middling manager. What he has done in Nigeria is simply because he had better talent at his disposal. If you look at it, several Nigerian managers (BTW, Rohr has one of the longest tenure as Nigeria's Manager) have achieved more!

As for Ego? I would not say that he achieved any less than Rohr given same period and time. In fact., one can argue that Ego did more. Egu had an opportunity to lead the team to AFCON. He did and earned a bronze. Rohr did not do better in an AFCON. As for a WC run, Rohr had an opportunity and Egu did not. Then in terms of winning percentage, Egu has a better winning percentage.

Now, this not to state that I want Egu taking over. Not at all. In my view, I would demur because of personality. I think that you really need a strong personality to be a Nigerian and fight off the sharks and lead Eagles to great heights. It is a characteristic that Keshi and Amodu had.
For how many games was Egu in charge of the SE?
That puts the "win ratio" in full context.


Damunk,


Enough games when you compare him to a lot of SE coaches. He coached 17 games which is exactly the number of games managed by Johaness Bonfrereand more than the number managed by the likes of Daniel Anyiam, Beth-Helavi, Udemezue, Berti Vogts, Les Courtier, first stint of Paul Hamilton, Manfred Hoener, Lars Lagerbeck, Thijs Lobregts, Oliseh, Samson Siasia, etc.
Yeah, but we're talking about Rohr who has been in charge of abour 42 games now.
So comparing Egu's 17 games and his win ratio to a 40+ game manager isn't exactly a fair comparison.
What is Egu's win ratio?

And anyway, what I have noticed here on CE is that game 'win ratio' is generally denigrated when Rohr's record compares favourably to others (eg Keshi's).
If it compares poorly (as in this case) then people elevate the importance again.

Just for the record, Rohr's win ration is about 52%


Great point. And stats like “win ratio” are what I would call ‘Americanisms’. They don’t exactly translate to what we think they do in a sport like soccer where there is a high “friendly match” component. In soccer, there is a tradition of using friendlies to test different players and tactics and a deemphasizing of results. Given that your number of friendly matches can match your competitive matches in a given year, one must be careful in reading too much into them.

If you compare coaches’ competitive matches, I think Rohr has probably done better than many coaches for Nigeria. I for one would say just focus on the major tournaments. WC, Afcon (& qualifiers). It’s pretty easy to compare coaches by results there, without resorting to “win ratios”

_________________
We vex come


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:33 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 39964
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Ok, even if I buy that, I see nothing in Egu’s history that tells me he will deliver better results than Rohr. Egu was a decent SE coach. In fact, I’ll go as far as saying he was underrated. But firing Rohr has to be for someone decisively better...and I don’t see any indication that Egu is that.

Rohr does not deserve to be fired.


Prof said he has a better win percentage, why are you using 'feelings' to 'see nothing'? :biggrin: Lets not be so scared of change that we just accept what Rohr is serving us...if we did want to make a change this is probably as good a time as any, we don't want to wait till we miss out on a tournament or right before the tournament starts to be making a change.


When Rohr was hired, I disagreed with it based on the same logic you’re ridiculing. I didn’t see anything in record that said he would be a success with the SE. So to me, he has overperformed and succeeded. But that does not translate into me changing my framework. Rohr has been a coach for longer and has achieved (and surpassed) same level of accolades as Egu achieved at his peak. “Winning record” no be accolade


Dean,

While I agree that at the time of Rohr's hiring there had been concerns. I did raise some pointing out that this guy was a defensive-minded fella going by his antecedents with several other African countries. That take has been borne out. In my view, he has not overachieved. He is what he is -- a middling manager. What he has done in Nigeria is simply because he had better talent at his disposal. If you look at it, several Nigerian managers (BTW, Rohr has one of the longest tenure as Nigeria's Manager) have achieved more!

As for Ego? I would not say that he achieved any less than Rohr given same period and time. In fact., one can argue that Ego did more. Egu had an opportunity to lead the team to AFCON. He did and earned a bronze. Rohr did not do better in an AFCON. As for a WC run, Rohr had an opportunity and Egu did not. Then in terms of winning percentage, Egu has a better winning percentage.

Now, this not to state that I want Egu taking over. Not at all. In my view, I would demur because of personality. I think that you really need a strong personality to be a Nigerian and fight off the sharks and lead Eagles to great heights. It is a characteristic that Keshi and Amodu had.
For how many games was Egu in charge of the SE?
That puts the "win ratio" in full context.


Damunk,


Enough games when you compare him to a lot of SE coaches. He coached 17 games which is exactly the number of games managed by Johaness Bonfrereand more than the number managed by the likes of Daniel Anyiam, Beth-Helavi, Udemezue, Berti Vogts, Les Courtier, first stint of Paul Hamilton, Manfred Hoener, Lars Lagerbeck, Thijs Lobregts, Oliseh, Samson Siasia, etc.
Yeah, but we're talking about Rohr who has been in charge of roughly about 42 games now.
So comparing Egu's 17 games and his win ratio to a 40+ game manager isn't exactly a fair comparison.
What is Egu's win ratio?

And anyway, what I have noticed here on CE is that game 'win ratio' is generally denigrated when Rohr's record compares favourably to others (eg Keshi's).
If it compares poorly (as in this case of Egu, if indeed it does) then people elevate the importance again.

Just for the record, Rohr's win ration is about 52%.

Rohr has simply put pressure on himself from the 4 games this year and even his strongest backers will not be happy.
I certainly am not but we need credible alternatives which are not being given because they simply do not exist at the moment.


While I dont think Rohr should be sacked now ( after the last WC was the right time to sack him), saying that there is no credible alternative is taking it too far.

If the objective is a golden bronze at the ANC and first round exit at the WC (Rohr's achievement) almost any coach will deliver that provided that the NFF does not sabotage such a coach.

If the job is thrown open we will have enough people that will show interest. There are enough local coaches who can deliver same. Amuneke cannot do WORSE than Rohr to start with.

_________________
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:11 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 10558
Location: loughborough.
Where is Dammy and our Software :laugh:

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:03 pm
Posts: 32819
Location: The Kingdom
1naija wrote:
Funny how most of the people that are clamouring for a local coach to manage the team suddenly dont want Yobo. Is he not Nigerian? See una life?


Not all Nigerians are qualified to coach the SE. And we all know Yobo's credentials. :taunt:

_________________
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:09 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 10558
Location: loughborough.
Quote:
Nigeria’s quest to qualify for next year’s African Cup of Nations in Cameroun was yesterday delayed till March next year following Super Eagles’ goalless draw with Sierra Leone in Freetown.
The Eagles would have joined Algeria and Senegal as the early teams to qualify for the Cameroun 2021 AFCON with a win at the Siaka Steven Stadium, but they now have to wait till March 22 when they travel to Cotonou to meet the Squirrels of Benin.

After the Benin game, the team will host Lesotho on March 30 in Nigeria. Nigeria, who surprisingly drew 4-4 with the Leone Stars in the first leg in Benin City, were expected to win in Freetown to confirm qualification for the AFCON, but it found an unyielding opponent in Sierra Leone.

The result leaves the Super Eagles top of the standings on eight points, with Benin (seven), Sierra Leone (three) and Lesotho (two).
The Eagles were the more adventurous side yesterday with Kelechi Iheanacho testing Sierra Leone goalkeeper, Mohamed Kamara, with a free kick as early as the third minute. Nigeria had another chance to make hay in the 16th minute, but Samuel Chukwueze curled his effort just off the mark.

The home team had their first chance midway through the first half when Alhaji Kamara tested Maduka Okoye’s reflexes, but the Holland-based goalkeeper held his own.

Soon after, midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo copped an injury and had to be replaced by Shehu Abdullahi. The first half ended goalless.

In the second half, Nigeria started from where they stopped in the first stanza, but once again they found it difficult to breach the home team’s defence.

However, what looked like the opener in the 60th minute by Iheanacho was disallowed for offside. Thereafter, the Leone Stars defended stoutly to earn another draw from their more renowned opponents.

Speaking at the end of the tie, Super Eagles Coach, Gernot Rohr, said he was satisfied by the outcome, adding his team will now work harder to beat Benin Republic in their next game.

He said: “I wanted to win the two games against Sierra Leone to book the AFCON ticket, but it didn’t happen that way. “But I am satisfied with the team’s performance as the Eagles are in a vintage position to be at the AFCON.”

https://guardian.ng/sport/again-nigeria ... on-ticket/

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 10:44 am
Posts: 3905
Peak Milk is not going to fire Gernot Rohr right now!!! this is a man that only believes in anything foreign. It will only happen if Nigeria fails to qualify.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:09 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43395
Location: UK
deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Dean,
While I agree that at the time of Rohr's hiring there had been concerns. I did raise some pointing out that this guy was a defensive-minded fella going by his antecedents with several other African countries. That take has been borne out. In my view, he has not overachieved. He is what he is -- a middling manager. What he has done in Nigeria is simply because he had better talent at his disposal. If you look at it, several Nigerian managers (BTW, Rohr has one of the longest tenure as Nigeria's Manager) have achieved more!

As for Ego? I would not say that he achieved any less than Rohr given same period and time. In fact., one can argue that Ego did more. Egu had an opportunity to lead the team to AFCON. He did and earned a bronze. Rohr did not do better in an AFCON. As for a WC run, Rohr had an opportunity and Egu did not. Then in terms of winning percentage, Egu has a better winning percentage.

Now, this not to state that I want Egu taking over. Not at all. In my view, I would demur because of personality. I think that you really need a strong personality to be a Nigerian and fight off the sharks and lead Eagles to great heights. It is a characteristic that Keshi and Amodu had.
For how many games was Egu in charge of the SE?
That puts the "win ratio" in full context.


Damunk,
Enough games when you compare him to a lot of SE coaches. He coached 17 games which is exactly the number of games managed by Johaness Bonfrereand more than the number managed by the likes of Daniel Anyiam, Beth-Helavi, Udemezue, Berti Vogts, Les Courtier, first stint of Paul Hamilton, Manfred Hoener, Lars Lagerbeck, Thijs Lobregts, Oliseh, Samson Siasia, etc.
Yeah, but we're talking about Rohr who has been in charge of abour 42 games now.
So comparing Egu's 17 games and his win ratio to a 40+ game manager isn't exactly a fair comparison.
What is Egu's win ratio?

And anyway, what I have noticed here on CE is that game 'win ratio' is generally denigrated when Rohr's record compares favourably to others (eg Keshi's).
If it compares poorly (as in this case) then people elevate the importance again.

Just for the record, Rohr's win ration is about 52%


Great point. And stats like “win ratio” are what I would call ‘Americanisms’. They don’t exactly translate to what we think they do in a sport like soccer where there is a high “friendly match” component. In soccer, there is a tradition of using friendlies to test different players and tactics and a deemphasizing of results. Given that your number of friendly matches can match your competitive matches in a given year, one must be careful in reading too much into them.

If you compare coaches’ competitive matches, I think Rohr has probably done better than many coaches for Nigeria. I for one would say just focus on the major tournaments. WC, Afcon (& qualifiers). It’s pretty easy to compare coaches by results there, without resorting to “win ratios”
Deantito, I compiled the stats table for both competitive and friendly matches.
I also did a small comparison table of tournament stats (AFCON and WC) sometime last year.

Of course, it wasn't well received because, as you said, Rohr's figures were superior. But no denying Keshe won AFCON and also got to the 2nd round of the WC (which apparently makes a HUGE difference regardless of the circumstances).

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:24 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43395
Location: UK
wanaj0 wrote:

While I dont think Rohr should be sacked now ( after the last WC was the right time to sack him), saying that there is no credible alternative is taking it too far.

If the objective is a golden bronze at the ANC and first round exit at the WC (Rohr's achievement) almost any coach will deliver that provided that the NFF does not sabotage such a coach.

If the job is thrown open we will have enough people that will show interest. There are enough local coaches who can deliver same. Amuneke cannot do WORSE than Rohr to start with.
Based on what do you say this? Records?
You judge one coach on records and the other on feelings. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The same thing was said when Siasia took over - that he "couldn't be any worse". We all know what happened.

Just say you want s to 'try our luck' with a local coach becos there is no objective basis by which we can measure our local coaches' performances that can credibly make their case for the full SE job. Olympics, U17, U20 don't cut it unless you are intent on fooling yourself..

At least Keshi had a track record worth examining.
Just give us a coach with a credible track record is all Nigerians want.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:33 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 10558
Location: loughborough.
Damunk wrote:
Based on what do you say this? Records?
You judge one coach on records and the other on feelings. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The same thing was said when Siasia took over - that he "couldn't be any worse". We all know what happened.

Just say you want s to 'try our luck' with a local coach becos there is no objective basis by which we can measure our local coaches' performances that can credibly make their case for the full SE job. Olympics, U17, U20 don't cut it unless you are intent on fooling yourself..

At least Keshi had a track record worth examining.
Just give us a coach with a credible track record is all Nigerians want.

What was Rohr track record :taunt: :taunt:

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 48733
Lolly wrote:
1naija wrote:
Funny how most of the people that are clamouring for a local coach to manage the team suddenly dont want Yobo. Is he not Nigerian? See una life?


Not all Nigerians are qualified to coach the SE. And we all know Yobo's credentials. :taunt:


But many of you calling for Amunike and Finidi now will not support their hiring either if they were seriously being considered for the job.

_________________
The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:48 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 39964
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

While I dont think Rohr should be sacked now ( after the last WC was the right time to sack him), saying that there is no credible alternative is taking it too far.

If the objective is a golden bronze at the ANC and first round exit at the WC (Rohr's achievement) almost any coach will deliver that provided that the NFF does not sabotage such a coach.

If the job is thrown open we will have enough people that will show interest. There are enough local coaches who can deliver same. Amuneke cannot do WORSE than Rohr to start with.
Based on what do you say this? Records?
You judge one coach on records and the other on feelings. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The same thing was said when Siasia took over - that he "couldn't be any worse". We all know what happened.

Just say you want s to 'try our luck' with a local coach becos there is no objective basis by which we can measure our local coaches' performances that can credibly make their case for the full SE job. Olympics, U17, U20 don't cut it unless you are intent on fooling yourself..

At least Keshi had a track record worth examining.
Just give us a coach with a credible track record is all Nigerians want.


Yes we know happened. Sabotage by the NFF and their ilks.

If Ameneke can get Tanzania to qualify for the ANC that is good enough track record.

What was Rohr's record when we employed him? Any trophy?

And why should Olympics not count?

Telling us there is no alternative to Rohr is absurd!

_________________
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:51 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 63525
Flex Swift wrote:
Peak Milk is not going to fire Gernot Rohr right now!!! this is a man that only believes in anything foreign. It will only happen if Nigeria fails to qualify.


But he should atleast find a good coach if he has inferiority complex for the white man. I personally don't care if the next coach is a foreigner or a home based coach. Just get results, and show progress in building the team. Rohr should have been fired after he made remarks that Nigeria was at the world cup to learn.

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:30 am
Posts: 9146
Location: Canada
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

While I dont think Rohr should be sacked now ( after the last WC was the right time to sack him), saying that there is no credible alternative is taking it too far.

If the objective is a golden bronze at the ANC and first round exit at the WC (Rohr's achievement) almost any coach will deliver that provided that the NFF does not sabotage such a coach.

If the job is thrown open we will have enough people that will show interest. There are enough local coaches who can deliver same. Amuneke cannot do WORSE than Rohr to start with.
Based on what do you say this? Records?
You judge one coach on records and the other on feelings. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The same thing was said when Siasia took over - that he "couldn't be any worse". We all know what happened.

Just say you want s to 'try our luck' with a local coach becos there is no objective basis by which we can measure our local coaches' performances that can credibly make their case for the full SE job. Olympics, U17, U20 don't cut it unless you are intent on fooling yourself..

At least Keshi had a track record worth examining.
Just give us a coach with a credible track record is all Nigerians want.


Yes we know happened. Sabotage by the NFF and their ilks.

If Ameneke can get Tanzania to qualify for the ANC that is good enough track record.

What was Rohr's record when we employed him? Any trophy?

And why should Olympics not count?

Telling us there is no alternative to Rohr is absurd!


I really dont get it ...Has Rohr been better than Amodu, and Keshi statistically ? Plus the abuse they had to endure because they were "local" ? Abeg make una stats buff answer o.. I think a combo of Amuneke and Maybe the Egbo others are pushing would be a good pair to try. why one ? why cant we get both ?

_________________
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Posts: 3684
I say we get Amuneke in, he has a decent resume already anyway so he should do well to steady the ship and give us the playing identity we have been lacking for a while now... outside of Amuneke, I can't think of any of our current ex-internationals that are reliable enough to coach the team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:27 am
Posts: 25283
Location: your girls place
Egbo, Eddie Newton, Ammunike, Klivert all free and available but some eeediots like Kongi want us to manage ****.

_________________
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

Assanal fans on CE are the biggest hypocrites on the web.

A-J-A-X for life!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 14608
Tobi17 wrote:
I say we get Amuneke in, he has a decent resume


come on bros, you can do better.

That resume includes his only stint at the helm of a full national team, FINISHING DEAD LAST OF 24 TEAMS.

That is what will be better than currently topping our group ?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 48733
bret- hart wrote:
Egbo, Eddie Newton, Ammunike, Klivert all free and available but some eeediots like Kongi want us to manage ****.


Bret Fart, why are all those great coaches free and available?

_________________
The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:27 am
Posts: 25283
Location: your girls place
1naija wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
Egbo, Eddie Newton, Ammunike, Klivert all free and available but some eeediots like Kongi want us to manage ****.


Bret Fart, why are all those great coaches free and available?



And So what? Pochetinno is free and available too :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

_________________
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

Assanal fans on CE are the biggest hypocrites on the web.

A-J-A-X for life!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 16292
deanotito wrote:

You make an excellent point.... But I’m coming at it from the rationality of it all. Firing a coach who’s leading a qualifying group just because he squandered (albeit disgracefully) a 4-0 lead??

I’m generally a believer that organizational reputation matters. If you are going to be able to attract the kind of coaching talent that you think Nigeria deserves, then your organizational reputation matters. If you fire coaches under such circumstances, you will only be able to attract mercenaries and desperados. This is Nigeria, not Real Madrid

I have seen Nigeria play better than Rohr’s SE and yet still not win jack. I see no hard evidence that Rohr is any worse than his predecessors on balance.


This is your opinion though. In reality, **** is being fired because there has been no improvement in our play for years. And its clear that he cannot take us to where we want to go.

its gotten bad enough that many Eagles fans no longer watch games. Nigeria played the other day and CE was empty! Remember the days when Nigeria had a game and it was almost impossible fo log into CE?

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:30 am
Posts: 9146
Location: Canada
vancity eagle wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
I say we get Amuneke in, he has a decent resume


come on bros, you can do better.

That resume includes his only stint at the helm of a full national team, FINISHING DEAD LAST OF 24 TEAMS.

That is what will be better than currently topping our group ?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


My Brother thats an unfair assement on Amuneke. With the crop of players that the Eagles have compared to what Tanzania have and his record with our u-17 , please the man will do better than Rohr.

The issue I find with local coaches are that they cannot ascend over our local politics , it will always bite them by their own doing or the NFA.

However we will also never get beyond it without trying ! I am now biased forever against any Foreign coach lai lai to lai lai.

_________________
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:30 am
Posts: 9146
Location: Canada
btw i read on bbc that Amu and Seyi O where offered jobs earlier this year as joint technical directors from this link below..

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/54901920

_________________
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2think, Google [Bot] and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group