Amuneke Still On The Prowl In Europe.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Amuneke Still On The Prowl In Europe.

Post by wanaj0 »

Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:Damunk, it was an open secret the Egyptian coach (Hassan Shehata) was considered or approached to coach SE in WC South Africa, this was because Hassan Shehata, won three successive ANC.
Fabio, I only remembered the Shehata plan yesterday when I stumbled across the article.

And I only brought it up here for wanajo's benefit.

When wanajo was making his spurious case, he was asking why Nigeria had NEVER thought of approaching Shehata with all the success he'd achieved.
Good point, but wanajo was wrong. He probably forgot about it himself or he wouldn't have brought it up. :lol:
That's the only reason why I posted it.

You sef for help me out correct am nah, but you kept quiet.
I thought you had my back. :taunt:
Nothing spurious in the Oyinbo na Oyinbo belief of so many people on CE.

I asked a question about Shehata. So he was offered the job on a TEMPORARY basis? Excellent condition of service!

Memory is not short. Those that supported the sack of Amodu then don't think Rohr should not be sacked. They never said they were wrong to have supported the sack of Amodu.

Same people telling us how there is no alternative to Rohr were the same one telling us of how Berti Stash was the best coach for SE with the special T shirts and massage that led to a QF exit at the ANC.

All we are saying is for there to be EQUAL OPPORTUNITY irrespective of color of skin!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:Damunk, it was an open secret the Egyptian coach (Hassan Shehata) was considered or approached to coach SE in WC South Africa, this was because Hassan Shehata, won three successive ANC.
Fabio, I only remembered the Shehata plan yesterday when I stumbled across the article.

When wanajo was making his spurious case, he was asking why Nigeria had NEVER thought of approaching Shehata with all the success he'd achieved.
Good point, but wanajo was wrong. He probably forgot about it himself or he wouldn't have brought it up. :lol:

I asked a question about Shehata. So he was offered the job on a TEMPORARY basis? Excellent condition of service!

Memory is not short. Those that supported the sack of Amodu then don't think Rohr should not be sacked. They never said they were wrong to have supported the sack of Amodu.
Who are these faceless people repeatedly referred to?
What was your position at the time?
Were you for or against his sack?
How does that marry up with your position now?
You can check CE records if you cannot remember. :taunt: :taunt:
Same people telling us how there is no alternative to Rohr were the same one telling us of how Berti Stash was the best coach for SE with the special T shirts and massage that led to a QF exit at the ANC.
Like who?
Let me guess....you can't remember right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
But its "the same people". :rotf:
All we are saying is for there to be EQUAL OPPORTUNITY irrespective of color of skin!
Agreed in principle 100%.
But your idea of "equal opportunity" here is to treat "white skin" in the same mediocre fashion we subjected our Nigerian coaches in the past.
So it is about righting those wrongs by making the same stupid mistakes we did back then, rather than set principled standards today and insist on treating our Nigerian coaches the same way from this day forth.

This is a moral bind you people will aways find unavoidable because the two positions are incompatible.

You cannot condemn Amodu's treatment while advocating the same thing for Rohr.
But you can try. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Like who?
But your idea of "equal opportunity" here is to treat "white skin" in the same mediocre fashion we subjected our Nigerian coaches in the past.
So it is about righting those wrongs by making the same stupid mistakes we did back then, rather than set principled standards today and insist on treating our Nigerian coaches the same way from this day forth.

This is a moral bind you people will aways find unavoidable because the two positions are incompatible.

Not sure the similarity in Amodu and Rohr's position.

Amodu qualified us for WC BUT was not allowed us to lead us there.

Rohr qualified us for WC, led us to a first round exit (That is a 'sackable' offence). So Rohr is at the same level as Onigbinde except that Onigbinde actually has an ANC silver medal.

Your position is that Rohr has a job for life since there is no alternative to him!

NB The faceless people are the ones that the 'ghost' of Keshi is chasing up and down. Those who are so bitter that they could not celebrate the SE victory at the ANC. Those who because of the lure of filthy lucre were sucking up to Berti Stash!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Like who?

Not sure the similarity in Amodu and Rohr's position.

Amodu qualified us for WC BUT was not allowed us to lead us there.

Rohr qualified us for WC, led us to a first round exit (That is a 'sackable' offence). So Rohr is at the same level as Onigbinde except that Onigbinde actually has an ANC silver medal.

Your position is that Rohr has a job for life since there is no alternative to him!
And you ask "how" you are "misrepresenting" me. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You don't have to make up ''alternative facts" to win an argument that frankly is of no significance to anybody.
NB The faceless people are the ones that the 'ghost' of Keshi is chasing up and down. Those who are so bitter that they could not celebrate the SE victory at the ANC. Those who because of the lure of filthy lucre were sucking up to Berti Stash!
Yes, yes. We've heard about them, but who are they?
You argue as if you know them, as if we all know them and you even argue as if they are here amongst us on CE

The only person who has been identified as having openly wished for the downfall of the SE and 'death' on the coach back then is vancity eagle.
Meanwhile, from 'your' camp, there are those currently very "bitter" like Bigporkey who openly wishes for the failure of the SE as long as Rohr is in charge. You are not disturbed by that? :taunt:

So aside from those two, everyone else you allude to is faceless.
That's why I asked for what YOUR position on this whole shenanigans is. You can at least speak for yourself.
But why you choose to speak for me - and misrepresent me in the process - is baffling.

This debate does not call for disinformation. Despite everything, I believe we all want the same thing: Success for the SE.
But some people are placing their personal need to have it go their way above the ultimate desire for the SE to achieve their full potential. #RohrMustGo. #AmoduMustGo. #SiasiaMustGo. #PinnickMustGo -bang in the middle of a campaign. :rotf:

The "white skin" thing is a red herring.
I can't believe there are those who believe that people like me are preoccupied by this "white skin" thing, just because we're supporters of Rohr. :rotf:
It's not even worth responding to, but this is CE. Mud does stick.

It takes a certain type of mindset to believe and propagate everything that reinforces their peculiar world view, no matter how ridiculous. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Ask Trump's people.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Damunk, you didn't help your cause by that your first post which seems to take a dig at Amuneke, who by the way is a living legend as a coach and player:
1. Won ANC and African Champions League as a player
2. Qualified for WC and went beyond first round as a player
3. Won age grade World Cup as coach
4. Coached prominent clubs and national team on the continent
5. Has FIFA license and constantly stay engage in seminars/training to improve himself.

Show me anyone else that has this impressive resume among our continent's coaches/ex-soccer players?
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

furiously frank wrote:Damunk, you didn't help your cause by that your first post which seems to take a dig at Amuneke, who by the way is a living legend as a coach and player:
1. Won ANC and African Champions League as a player
2. Qualified for WC and went beyond first round as a player
3. Won age grade World Cup as coach
4. Coached prominent clubs and national team on the continent
5. Has FIFA license and constantly stay engage in seminars/training to improve himself.

Show me anyone else that has this impressive resume among our continent's coaches/ex-soccer players?
Unfortunately, that's how many chose to take it.
That wasn't the intention at all, but unfortunately it is the 'Local vs Foreign coach' climate we are in at the moment. So my post, which should naturally be of interest to any Nigerian, and def any fan of Amuneke, would by default place my intentions in the wrong place.

Same thing with some research I've been doing on the records of Westerhoff, Amodu, Keshi and Rohr. I've been able to compile their game records (Westerhoff's and Amodu's have been elusive until now), but trust our people, they will read all sorts of intentions and ill-intentions into any posts.

These are things which should be of interest to anybody that is a Nigerian football follower.
But you can be sure it will quickly become 'political'.

If you take a casual look at the title of the thread and the thread content, you'll see that there is absolutely nothing cynical about them.
Its bad timing at the very worst.
But why should we not post a current news story about the challenges of one of OUR legends in Europe? :idea:

This place can be too toxic for its own good sometimes. It can be taboo for one to express an unpopular view, or a view easily misinterpreted by those looking for a quarrel. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

wanaj0 wrote:
txj wrote:That's too generalized IMO.

Many of our ex-players do indeed have these relationships from their playing careers.

While nothing is guaranteed, and the disparities speak for themselves, it does sometimes come down to a case by case thing...

I'm just not sure how he's going about it. The bulk of his experiences in Europe was more in Portugal than Spain...and he never really remained close to Barca, perhaps from how sort-lived and injury-ridden his time was there..
Maybe you can help with 3 Africans (blacks) coaching in any of the major leagues? Maybe coaching is just so difficult that a black man is just not good enough at the top level.
There is discrimination, which is why I said that the disparity speaks for itself. But I look at the discrimination more wrt blacks of European, as opposed to African nationality.

It is unrealistic to expect an African to simply be considered by a European club, absent a prior and sustained relationship.
You could also ask, how many Brazilians are in any of the major European leagues...

It simply does not work like that...hence the suggestion of the Rooney Rule...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
txj wrote:That's too generalized IMO.

Many of our ex-players do indeed have these relationships from their playing careers.

While nothing is guaranteed, and the disparities speak for themselves, it does sometimes come down to a case by case thing...

I'm just not sure how he's going about it. The bulk of his experiences in Europe was more in Portugal than Spain...and he never really remained close to Barca, perhaps from how sort-lived and injury-ridden his time was there..
Maybe you can help with 3 Africans (blacks) coaching in any of the major leagues? Maybe coaching is just so difficult that a black man is just not good enough at the top level.
There is discrimination, which is why I said that the disparity speaks for itself. But I look at the discrimination more wrt blacks of European, as opposed to African nationality.

It is unrealistic to expect an African to simply be considered by a European club, absent a prior and sustained relationship.
You could also ask, how many Brazilians are in any of the major European leagues...

It simply does not work like that...hence the suggestion of the Rooney Rule...
txj,

Remember, we have argued about this for years.

There is no doubt that the hiring is discriminatory and Europe is gradually getting the hang of it. At least acknowledging a problem.

When Nigeria decided to use a consulting company to hire coaches, many on CE criticized it pointing to the old boys network used by Europe as if it was more advanced. Yet, the use of the consultant was, in fact, a step forward in a modern system than what European clubs were using. In any case, the Oyibo na Oyibo thinking was if Europe utlizes a system it must be better. The NFL in the USA used the Rooney Rule to forestall or at least attempt to checkmate the Old boys network in vogue then in the USA and still in vogue in much of Europe until recent times when European countries have begun to rethink.

The likes of Amuneke and other Black coaches, whether such Blacks are European or not, will hardly ever get a fair shake if the Old Boys network continues to dominate Europe. It would not be because Black coaches are not good enough, it will simply be because they are Black and have a more difficult time being accepted into the Old Boys network.

In Nigeria and Africa, sadly, we have a comparable system of Bekke bu Agbara (Whiteman is a magician) syndrome where the Whiteman is reverted as God-like and, thus, a White coach, no matter how ordinary, is considered better than the Nigerian or Black coach. Yet, when one examines the records of the SE there is hardly any significant difference when the team is coached by a Nigerian or by a White Coach. The difference is between a good and bad coach, and not based on their color.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:The likes of Amuneke and other Black coaches, whether such Blacks are European or not, will hardly ever get a fair shake if the Old Boys network continues to dominate Europe. It would not be because Black coaches are not good enough, it will simply be because they are Black and have a more difficult time being accepted into the Old Boys network.

In Nigeria and Africa, sadly, we have a comparable system of Bekke bu Agbara (Whiteman is a magician) syndrome where the Whiteman is reverted as God-like and, thus, a White coach, no matter how ordinary, is considered better than the Nigerian or Black coach. Yet, when one examines the records of the SE there is hardly any significant difference when the team is coached by a Nigerian or by a White Coach. The difference is between a good and bad coach, and not based on their color.
Exactly Prof!
Which is why we need to make recommendations based on facts.

The records you refer to are available and do not support the current campaign to get rid of Rohr.
Nobody wants to see those records i.e. 'stats' because they do not make the ''sack Rohr" case. But you can bet your bottom Naira that if they did support it, we no go hear word.

The one thing used as the sole criterion is the bronze vs gold.
It is obviously a significant point but not the beginning and end all of managerial competence.
If that were the case, Chelsea's Roberto Di Matteo would be regarded as Chelsea's greatest ever manager for winning the UEFA Cup, but he isn't. Not even close.

He is well respected for doing so, but there is more to evaluating a manager at any given time than just a one-off victory.
Westerhoff is revered in Naija today for his WC and AFCON records, but the fact that he won AFCON gold only at his third attempt is downplayed.

The SE Manager with the most impressive records is actually Amodu, yet he never won AFCON gold and was sacked with ignominy twice - en route to the World Cup.

Amuneke is a player legend that we all love but he is still cutting his teeth as a manager/coach in the senior game. Again, his record with Tanzania is minimised and his unfortunate sojourns in Sudan and Egypt are fuzzy at best. Yet he is somehow the best option for the SE.
He better be careful. Nigerian fans will eat him raw should he fail to deliver instant results. Thats who we are and these CE pages have continuously confirmed it over time.

We all want the same thing for Naija's SE but we are definitely not all on the same page.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:The likes of Amuneke and other Black coaches, whether such Blacks are European or not, will hardly ever get a fair shake if the Old Boys network continues to dominate Europe. It would not be because Black coaches are not good enough, it will simply be because they are Black and have a more difficult time being accepted into the Old Boys network.

Exactly Prof!

The records you refer to are available and do not support the current campaign to get rid of Rohr.
Nobody wants to see those records i.e. 'stats' because they do not make the ''sack Rohr" case. But you can bet your bottom Naira that if they did support it, we no go hear word.

It is obviously a significant point but not the beginning and end all of managerial competence.
If that were the case, Chelsea's Roberto Di Matteo would be regarded as Chelsea's greatest ever manager for winning the UEFA Cup, but he isn't. Not even close.

He is well respected for doing so, but there is more to evaluating a manager at any given time than just a one-off victory.
Westerhoff is revered in Naija today for his WC and AFCON records, but the fact that he won AFCON gold only at his third attempt is downplayed.

The SE Manager with the most impressive records is actually Amodu, yet he never won AFCON gold and was sacked with ignominy twice - en route to the World Cup.

Amuneke is a player legend that we all love but he is still cutting his teeth as a manager/coach in the senior game. Again, his record with Tanzania is minimised and his unfortunate sojourns in Sudan and Egypt are fuzzy at best. Yet he is somehow the best option for the SE.
He better be careful. Nigerian fans will eat him raw should he fail to deliver instant results. Thats who we are and these CE pages have continuously confirmed it over time.

We all want the same thing for Naija's S

E but we are definitely not all on the same page.
Damunk,

I am not sure which records you are looking at. Right now Rohr now Rohr is on track to qualify for Afcon. However, if he goes out in the Afcon without winning it, he could be justifiably removed because he would have failed to match several coaches in a period when the talents available to him are supposedly ones that can do better than any coach had before him.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Exactly Prof!

Damunk,

I am not sure which records you are looking at. Right now Rohr now Rohr is on track to qualify for Afcon. However, if he goes out in the Afcon without winning it, he could be justifiably removed because he would have failed to match several coaches in a period when the talents available to him are supposedly ones that can do better than any coach had before him.
We know that, Prof.
So yet again, I ask why the campaign to get rid of him now?
Why are we so eager to bury the man before he dies?
You have not answered the question and you are not even calling for restraint from those on the rampage.

I can ignore certain dumbos known for their irrationality or even outright lies, but I ask these questions of you specifically because you usually have a very considered and measured approach to most issues.

During AFCON 2013, the NFF had already started preparing for Keshi's humiliation before the tournament had even gone beyond the qualification rounds. They believed he wasn't going anywhere with his team.
We were all up in arms when we heard about it and the rest is history.

What is the difference with what is going on now, aside from the fact that we are still in the qualification stages?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Exactly Prof!

Damunk,

We know that, Prof.
So yet again, I ask why the campaign to get rid of him now?
Why are we so eager to bury the man before he dies?
You have not answered the question and you are not even calling for restraint from those on the rampage.

I can ignore certain dumbos known for their irrationality or even outright lies, but I ask these questions of you specifically because you usually have a very considered and measured approach to most issues.

During AFCON 2013, the NFF had already started preparing for Keshi's humiliation before the tournament had even gone beyond the qualification rounds. They believed he wasn't going anywhere with his team.
We were all up in arms when we heard about it and the rest is history.

What is the difference with what is going on now, aside from the fact that we are still in the qualification stages?
Damunk,

If you follow what is happening, the trigger on Rohr is not likely to happen now. I expect you to know that. The daggers are drawn but the fact is that such daggers are not likely to affect anything.

I defended Rohr when I felt he could be removed but I felt he deserved a reprieve. He has earned a contract renewal and I believed that was the correct decision then and I make no apologies for supporting that contract renewal then.

Tomorrow if he fails at the upcoming AFCON his time will be done and deservedly in my opinion.