Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 14622
wanaj0 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu, Vancity,

There is a big difference between implying corrupt activity - as Amokachi has done - and filling the team with foreign-bred Nigerians. I also think Rohr has got the balance wrong between home bred and foreign bred but not egregiously so. But Amokachi is over there openly accusing the coach of being in the agency business...with no evidence - circumstantial or otherwise.


Don't you consider this as 'circumstantial' evidence?


Quote:
“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”



So then tell us all the great players Rohr has ignored.


We don't have any 'great' player.

Moreover I don't have any problem with decision of a coach. He is paid to make those decisions and i respect it.

However, if all players are coming from only 3 agents of which one of them is also the 'agent' to the coach don't you think there is conflict of interest and should be investigated?


So you didn't answer the question because you know it will nake your allegations to be the rubbish that they are.

Again if all the SE players come from 3 agents, if this is indeed true, and you are alleging corruption , and callups not based on merrit. Then please tell us the players who deserve to be called up, that Rohr is ignoring because they are not ripped by those 3 agents.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:32 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43445
Location: UK
Odas wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
Ex-Eagles stars want Rohr sacked
Published November 20, 2020
Kindly Share This Story
Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr

Johnny Edward

“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”[/b]

Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: theeditor@punchng.com

https://punchng.com/ex-eagles-stars-want-rohr-sacked/


Thus, all the players came from three AGENTS, including coach Rohr himself? Ok, something dubious is definitely going on.

Elm 1Naija, what do you say? Please ansa me quik-quik
Firstly, he needs to identify the three agents. Buying this story without asking questions is to be a Nigerian MAGAt.
For starters, is Adelakun an agent as implied?
No.
But it is a useful line for those intent on fomenting trouble.
Trust Nigerians to turn a scout into the agent of the players he scouts.

Let him name the other two agents and who they represent.
It is not hard.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:53 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43445
Location: UK
wanaj0 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu, Vancity,

There is a big difference between implying corrupt activity - as Amokachi has done - and filling the team with foreign-bred Nigerians. I also think Rohr has got the balance wrong between home bred and foreign bred but not egregiously so. But Amokachi is over there openly accusing the coach of being in the agency business...with no evidence - circumstantial or otherwise.


Don't you consider this as 'circumstantial' evidence?


Quote:
“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”



So then tell us all the great players Rohr has ignored.


We don't have any 'great' player.

Moreover I don't have any problem with decision of a coach. He is paid to make those decisions and i respect it.

However, if all players are coming from only 3 agents of which one of them is also the 'agent' to the coach don't you think there is conflict of interest and should be investigated?
So you don't think you should first ascertain the truth of the allegation before running with it?
Why give it legs in the first place when you can do a quick check?
For one, Adelakun can be checked out.
Anyone can do a 2 minute quick search and find at least SIX different agents mentioned- which is what I did without even going through half of the squad.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:49 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 10570
Location: loughborough.
Will the world end if Rohr is sacked?
Segun Odegbami

In the aftermath of the two matches between the Leone Stars and the Super Eagles, I have refused to make any comments. I have been besieged with questions about why I have remained silent. I am surprised that people are surprised that I have been unusually quiet.

What more is there for me to say?
One year ago, or so, I was vehemently opposed to the renewal of the contract of Franco-German coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr. I screamed and shouted to the point where some people thought I had personal issues with the coach. My take was simple: the coach may have been good for the standards set for him by his employers, but surely he was not good enough for the vision most Nigerians have about the place of their national team in the world, considering the country’s achievements, capacity and capability. I thought I must belong to a different planet from those that elongated our collected agony by renewing Rohr’s contract, because not only was it extended by several more years, they now offered him a contract so tightly legally put together that the country cannot sack him for the next three years without breaking the vaults of Nigeria’s Central bank.

The man became so comfortable that he presented us with the worst football match in our entire history against ordinary Sierra Leone and did not even apologise. He committed unforgivable blunders in the kind of substitutions he made. His entire attitude on the bench was unserious throughout the period of Nigerians’ pain and humiliation.

So, those who renewed his contract are reaping what they sowed. Period. Unfortunately, it is every single one of 200 million Nigerians that will have to pay the price in money and in failed expectations.

It is obvious that those in charge have set small goals for him because they too have such small dreams about Nigerian football.
The match was a test about the true character of Gernot Rohr and his competency as a football tactician. Once again he failed woefully.

I still cannot fathom the special job he is doing as manager of the Super Eagles that any number of Nigerians with better qualifications, but underrated by their own, cannot do better. If this is what he has to offer the country after four years, with the humongous wages he is being paid, then there is something wrong with whom we are.

The matches against Sierra Leone are bereft of any tactical depth and understanding. There is no acceptable excuse for the result of the match in Benin City. It was such a bad advertisement for Nigerian football and Nigerian players, particularly those of them that are Diaspora born and bred. It is making us dream home-based players and domestic Nigerian football again.

My wonder is that after such a match any Nigerian would still be defending the coach. We had sacked several coaches and even administrators in the past for a fraction of what we all saw in the two matches. A Nigerian coach had even been sacked after winning the biggest football trophy in Africa. Yet, this man is treated with kid gloves, shoved in our faces in the manner of colonial enslavement and Nigerians are made to swallow the bitter pill, pain, humiliation and shame. Gernot Rohr has been given too much long rope.

He may be considered a good coach using some people’s standards, but by mine, I join with Aiyegbeni Yakubu, our celebrated football hero, who was quoted recently as saying that the German may be the worst coach in the history of Nigerian football.

Thank God, I am not in any position to influence anything. In the days of yore, a tsunami in football administration would have happened by now. Thank God we are in strange times. Coaches are overprotected.

I would have sworn that with the evidence of his capability laid bare by Nigeria’s failure at two critical moments during the World Cup in Russia and the AFCON in Egypt, the country will not be led by the nose again with the narrow sentiments of a few administrators and sports writers that stand to benefit from sustaining the vestiges of a colonial mentality that embraces everything White and condemns everything Black.

The rather ‘stupid’ question I have been asking myself in the solitude of my silence is this: will the world end if Gernot Rohr is sacked?

Abeg, make I remain silent o, and siddon look the drama of Nigerian sports administrators wey dey celebrate nonsense and some people dey clap hand’.

https://guardian.ng/sport/will-the-worl ... is-sacked/

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 49437
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Rohr is not my cup of beans.

That being said, Pinnick won't fire him. He won't fire him because Rohr is good for business.

And no, it is not marketing players or player invitation either.

_________________
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 39980
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu, Vancity,

There is a big difference between implying corrupt activity - as Amokachi has done - and filling the team with foreign-bred Nigerians. I also think Rohr has got the balance wrong between home bred and foreign bred but not egregiously so. But Amokachi is over there openly accusing the coach of being in the agency business...with no evidence - circumstantial or otherwise.


Don't you consider this as 'circumstantial' evidence?


Quote:
“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”



So then tell us all the great players Rohr has ignored.


We don't have any 'great' player.

Moreover I don't have any problem with decision of a coach. He is paid to make those decisions and i respect it.

However, if all players are coming from only 3 agents of which one of them is also the 'agent' to the coach don't you think there is conflict of interest and should be investigated?
So you don't think you should first ascertain the truth of the allegation before running with it?
Why give it legs in the first place when you can do a quick check?
For one, Adelakun can be checked out.
Anyone can do a 2 minute quick search and find at least SIX different agents mentioned- which is what I did without even going through half of the squad.


I asked for INVESTIGATION. Seems that should not even apply to Rohr! The immunity is serious o

_________________
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18458
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
vancity eagle,

My hunch is that Pinnick is sitting on the fence.

There is intense pressure from the Ministry to get Rohr fired and Pinnick does not want to appear to be in the way of making this happen. This is just a hunch. Here is why I think this is the case:

1. Rohr, basically, is carrying out Pinnick's agenda in terms of the direction of player invitations. Pinnick cannot be happier about this. He loves it! However, Pinnick clearly is also tired of battling the Sports Ministry after his full blown war with Dalung which led to several court cases. Thus, Pinnick cannot oppose Dare openly or directly. However, he does have a trump card that checkmates Dare. First, a private company is footing the wage bill for Rohr. This is important because if Dare forces Rohr to be fired, can Dare foot the bill? I think not because how will he get Buhari to pony up the money when Buhari knows that this was a bill previously paid by a private company? Buhari will not buy that stuff from Dare. Moreover, better believe that the oil company currently paying Rohr's wages will balk if Rohr's contract is unilaterally canceled by the NFF. Thus, I really do not see Rohr being ousted this way.

2. So how can Rohr be disengaged? a.) The ministry will likely begin a silent war against the NFF and Rohr. It will be a war of attrition to try to force Rohr to resign so that the Ministry can have its way and a road to playing a key role in finding a replacement for Rohr opens up. b.) Going by Rohr's antecedent he will not give up in the face of this war. Instead, he will give ground as he has done with his contract renewal and other issues. In essence, he will be bidding his time while waiting for an offer from elsewhere. c.) Pinnick basically will sit on the fence while hoping Rohr stays the course. Pinnick is patient and possibly believes that his project of having an SE team made up of foreign-born Nigerians will finally bear fruits as his Delta project did. That is his trump card, which if successful will crown him for a long time. However, it is him v time which is limited to the next two years which is the length of Rohr's contract or whenever Rohr bolts in the face of intense pressure which is likely to build up.

++On the issue of changing course from a focus on foreign-born Nigerians? My view is that the current backlash will not and cannot lead to a focus inwards on NPFL players. The current noise is mostly designed to give them a sincere opportunity. However, any claim that it will lead to a focus on homebred players is not realistic given several factors. What I think will happen is simply a serious focus on providing serious opportunities for them, no more than that. The problem now is just the fact that no sincere opportunities have been afforded to such players whereas even players in the European academies are getting quicker introductions to the SE. This anomaly is an explosion waiting to happen and it is already boiling over.


.
vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
I’ve never liked any eagle like I’ve liked Amokachi. He is my guy. BUT he is talking nonsense about the agent stuff and nonsense about the man’s record.

What top Nigerian player hasn’t been given a shot by Rohr or isn’t a consistent part of his teams? All these new children of the diaspora that Rohr has blooded, are they all with the same agents??? This is just bad bele speaking


Dean,

Basically the reference is to Tunde Adelakun. I do not believe Adelakun is a player agent. However, remember that Adelakun rose as a sort of "free agent/scout" to an official scout for the team (note that in the past this job was done strictly by the appointed coaching crew) and quite surprisingly Rohr elevated him to a key assistant on the coaching bench at games. This issue became major in the media when it occurred. That is what that reference is about. Many of these players have come directly from Adelakun. Make no mistake about that. This really should be common knowledge if you have followed these things closely.

In my view, Adelakun is fully supported by Pinnick. After all, it is through Adelakun's work that Pinnick's vision of Super Eagles is being steadfastly implemented. Pinnick has not hidden the fact that his goal is to build a winning SE team made up of players bred in Europe with the dream that such a team with the requisite football education will deliver great results for Nigeria. Early in his tenure he had a training of these boys in London and had sought to have one in the USA as well. Make no mistake about it, he truly believes that his dream will come through via this strategy. Importantly, he had employed similar strategy to great success with Delta athletes in the Nigeria national sports festival. In that case, he stringently recruited overseas based track stars, some were speculated to be Americans, and they dominated the National Sports Festival. This is the basis of his current method and dream of the Super Eagles.

The battle you are seeing now may appear to be about the current Super Eagles. However, it is deeper than that. It is about the future of the Super Eagles beyond now.

This reminds me about what happened when Amodu was thrown out off the SE after finishing third at the AFCON. Onigbinde was appointed and he exorcised five players. Many people did not know it then. I clearly identified the five at the time and history proved my claims correct much later. At this moment, fans may think this is about Rohr's performance, it is only in the sense that the performance provides a window of an opportunity to win a much larger war in terms of the direction of the composition of the SE going forward. This battle will intensify as time goes on. That much is a certainty.


So you are saying it's a war between

SE consisting of foreign born vs SE made up of more home-based players ?

I knew this type of conflict will be inevitable with all these euro born Nigerians brought into the team, especially the Oyibos.

That's why I tell people to be careful what they wish for. If the other party you allude to wins out , I believe there will be a backlash, and many of these new recruits will no longer be called, and you will see quotas of home-based players called up, similar to when Keshi first took over. The pride and arrogance.

Nigeria likes to do things like they are living in the stone age.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43445
Location: UK
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Enugu, Vancity,

There is a big difference between implying corrupt activity - as Amokachi has done - and filling the team with foreign-bred Nigerians. I also think Rohr has got the balance wrong between home bred and foreign bred but not egregiously so. But Amokachi is over there openly accusing the coach of being in the agency business...with no evidence - circumstantial or otherwise.


Don't you consider this as 'circumstantial' evidence?


Quote:
“We have seen some decision taken by him which a right coach won’t. We cannot have a team where all of the players come from three agents and one of those agents represent the coach. That shows a lot of shady deals. In the last five years he has not shown has the right man for the job.”



So then tell us all the great players Rohr has ignored.


We don't have any 'great' player.

Moreover I don't have any problem with decision of a coach. He is paid to make those decisions and i respect it.

However, if all players are coming from only 3 agents of which one of them is also the 'agent' to the coach don't you think there is conflict of interest and should be investigated?
So you don't think you should first ascertain the truth of the allegation before running with it?
Why give it legs in the first place when you can do a quick check?
For one, Adelakun can be checked out.
Anyone can do a 2 minute quick search and find at least SIX different agents mentioned- which is what I did without even going through half of the squad.


I asked for INVESTIGATION. Seems that should not even apply to Rohr! The immunity is serious o
Drama.
You continue to play to the gallery, but not as many people are watching as you seem to think. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You can do your own investigation in 3 minutes.
Trust me.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 10570
Location: loughborough.
Damunk wrote:
Drama.
You continue to play to the gallery, but not as many people are watching as you seem to think. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You can do your own investigation in 3 minutes.
Trust me.

I understand and appreciate your ´stance´ on this agent issue.

However, the hypocrisy is nauseating.. When players called my Keshi were allegedly link to an agent/s all hell was let loose on this site. Vancity eagle et al, led the charge against Keshi without any evidence, however, today they are giving Rohr a pass. Why?

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 10570
Location: loughborough.
NFF Complicated relationship with Rohr

Musa and Simon switch agents

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:39 am
Posts: 9503
Enugu II wrote:
Toxic,

I do not believe Rohr will be dismissed now despite the fact that he has done nothing to demonstrate that he is great for Nigeria. He is middling at best. Nevertheless, there are two factors that stand in the way of such possibility.

1. The financial cost of doing so. This is the most important factor. Who pays that money? Note that Rohr is currently paid by a private company. That company will balk, for good reasons, in continuing to pay if Rohr is disengaged. NFF has no extra funds to pay the disengagement fee and then set up to hire another Manager.

2. If the Minister forces NFF in firing Rohr, will the Minister come up to pay that compensation and come up with funds to hire another Manager? I doubt it. The Ministry is not now paying the Manager. What argument will Minister Dare present to Buhari in order to get the funds to pay a coach?

In my view, the pressure generated by the Ministry will not lead to the firing of Rohr. Importantly, this pressure by the Ministry has to be a major concern for all who hope to have an NFF independent of the Ministry.

What is more likely at this point is a move that puts intense heat on Rohr in a strategy to force him to reconsider his tenure in Nigeria. That may lead to him bolting as soon as he gets an offer elsewhere. This will be the best scenario for both the NFF and the Sports Ministry. However, this type of pressure is not the best for Nigeria. We saw it before and it ended up hurting the country's football. What really is the best is to allow the guy to finish his tenure and simply not renew his contract except in a situation where he goes on to win the upcoming AFCON.

Oga Enugu II:
I fully concur with your assertion. Also, Rohr is well-advised on how to play the "Naija game" and operate within the bubble of Nigeria's complicated Football administration. He seems to have good strategic adviser(s) on "Naija football" in his corner. That was self-evident when he negotiated his contract extension.

_________________
Check out Sooting's website:
http://www.3sc.com.ng


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 14622
It seems Dare is now trying to force the NFF to mandate at least 4 NPFL players in each squad.

See this is the type of nonsense Enugu II was alluding to when he talked about battles behind the scenes for the direction of the SE.

These crooks and agents are using Rohrs slip up to try and push their agenda of forcing home based players on us.

I told people to be careful what they wish for.

Picnick and Rohr seem to want to attract as many foreign born players, while their detractors want to chop dollars from local based players.

This is the type of crap that nearly destroyed SE in the Keshi era leading to our national embarrassment at the Confederation Cup and failing to qualify to 2 straight ANCS, and these crooks want to go down the same path. Enemies of progress.

Rohr was right when he said we can call up home-based but when they get a deal abroad, then what ? We just ignore them and then on to the next clients ?

This is no sane way to build a national team, no other country in the world operates in such an asinine manner.

If I was Rohr I will just call up extra players so we do not lack depth. We are getting players added to the pool and these jokers want us to forget our added depth so they can chop dollar. God forbid these crooks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43445
Location: UK
vancity eagle wrote:
It seems Dare is now trying to force the NFF to mandate at least 4 NPFL players in each squad.

See this is the type of nonsense Enugu II was alluding to when he talked about battles behind the scenes for the direction of the SE.

These crooks and agents are using Rohrs slip up to try and push their agenda of forcing home based players on us.

I told people to be careful what they wish for.

Picnick and Rohr seem to want to attract as many foreign born players, while their detractors want to chop dollars from local based players.

This is the type of crap that nearly destroyed SE in the Keshi era leading to our national embarrassment at the Confederation Cup and failing to qualify to 2 straight ANCS, and these crooks want to go down the same path. Enemies of progress.

Rohr was right when he said we can call up home-based but when they get a deal abroad, then what ? We just ignore them and then on to the next clients ?

This is no sane way to build a national team, no other country in the world operates in such an asinine manner.

If I was Rohr I will just call up extra players so we do not lack depth. We are getting players added to the pool and these jokers want us to forget our added depth so they can chop dollar. God forbid these crooks.
:source: :source: :source:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 14622
Damunk wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
It seems Dare is now trying to force the NFF to mandate at least 4 NPFL players in each squad.

See this is the type of nonsense Enugu II was alluding to when he talked about battles behind the scenes for the direction of the SE.

These crooks and agents are using Rohrs slip up to try and push their agenda of forcing home based players on us.

I told people to be careful what they wish for.

Picnick and Rohr seem to want to attract as many foreign born players, while their detractors want to chop dollars from local based players.

This is the type of crap that nearly destroyed SE in the Keshi era leading to our national embarrassment at the Confederation Cup and failing to qualify to 2 straight ANCS, and these crooks want to go down the same path. Enemies of progress.

Rohr was right when he said we can call up home-based but when they get a deal abroad, then what ? We just ignore them and then on to the next clients ?

This is no sane way to build a national team, no other country in the world operates in such an asinine manner.

If I was Rohr I will just call up extra players so we do not lack depth. We are getting players added to the pool and these jokers want us to forget our added depth so they can chop dollar. God forbid these crooks.
:source: :source: :source:



https://scorenigeria.com.ng/npfl-stars-psychologist-physical-trainer-match-readers-now-to-join-super-eagles/

The NFF plan to ensure at least four players from the NPFL will now be involved in the Super Eagles, while a psychologist, nutritionist and match readers will be added to the backroom of the national team to make it more competitive.

These changes followed a meeting the sports minister Sunday Dare and the NFF in Abuja today.

The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development tasked the NFF to hold Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr to the higher standards contained in his contract following the team’s dismal outings against the Sierra Leone in the AFCON qualifier.

Sports minster Dare made this position known at a meeting with NFF officials on Tuesday to review the Technical Report of the Nigeria/Sierra Leone AFCON Qualifiers and other matters.

He said, “The recent dismal performance of the Super Eagles in their qualifiers against Sierra Leone has raised a few concerns and brought to fore the need to do a quick critique.

“The Government, while concerned about the dismal performance and non-discernible pattern of play and team harmony in the Super Eagles is looking beyond the outcome of the Nigeria versus Sierra Leone matches and AFCON.

“We are looking at the present and future administration of football that speaks to the development of the front room and backroom.

“The NFF must tightly hold the Technical Adviser to the KPIs in his contract.

“Thus, we cannot wait for those conditions to come to life, before we tighten the screws or demand a higher or better performance, better technical depth, better player mix and team harmony and a functional national team, else Nigeria and Football lovers in Nigeria will be the greatest losers.

In this area, NFF must take necessary steps and actions beyond Rohr to protect our football fortunes.

“The federal government will ask the tough and relevant questions. The NFF should do the same

“The right of Nigerians to ask of Government and indeed NFF explanations for dismal performances and football administration cannot be simply characterized as interference.

“On our part, we will work to support the NFF but we will also demand for answers and changes too on behalf of Nigerians. CAF and FIFA while we appreciate their working partnerships are expected to support Nigeria in its quest to ensure an effectual football administration.

“Football is now both business and politics. A tool of diplomacy. Governments are more than interested in how its run. The FGN is interested even beyond that. Football is a source of national pride. A rallying point and promoter of peace and Unity.

“Nigeria at this point must use the opportunity of the outcome of the Nigeria/Sierra Leone March to X-ray the other factors beyond the Technical Adviser that must have contributed to the dismal performance.

“We must raise the necessary interrogatories about the general administration around the team, the absence of local content or home based players in the team, the domestic league development and growth, issues of ethics, nutrition, Psychology, content and so on.

“NFF should be more concerned about the failure of technical depth and absence of a defense mechanism which were glaring during the encounter with Sierra Leone rather than the rush to defend the contract of the Technical Adviser.

“Starting now, Nigeria must demand a higher or better performance from the technical adviser. We can’t wait until he fails to qualify our team for AFCON and the World Cup before we start to ask the tough questions. In this respect, I charge the NFF leadership to immediately take necessary steps to protect our football fortunes working with the MYSD,” the minister declared.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Posts: 3697
So Rohr calls up these NFPL players per quota basis and they end up getting contracts to any backwater foreign clubs (since these local based players just want to move out by any means possible)... then what happens next after they become "foreign based" players?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:07 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43445
Location: UK
Tobi17 wrote:
So Rohr calls up these NFPL players per quota basis and they end up getting contracts to any backwater foreign clubs (since these local based players just want to move out by any means possible)... then what happens next after they become "foreign based" players?
Somebody should please answer you because me, I don't know the answer o. :???:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18458
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Tobi17 wrote:
So Rohr calls up these NFPL players per quota basis and they end up getting contracts to any backwater foreign clubs (since these local based players just want to move out by any means possible)... then what happens next after they become "foreign based" players?


Although, I do not support the Minister dictating what NFF should do, the logic above is a bit simplistic. First, the SE is and has never been a team with a permanent squad of players. Second, the NPFL continues and will continue on ongoing basis to produce quality players. Those two points address the issue you raise.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:12 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43445
Location: UK
Enugu II wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
So Rohr calls up these NFPL players per quota basis and they end up getting contracts to any backwater foreign clubs (since these local based players just want to move out by any means possible)... then what happens next after they become "foreign based" players?


Although, I do not support the Minister dictating what NFF should do, the logic above is a bit simplistic. First, the SE is and has never been a team with a permanent squad of players. Second, the NPFL continues and will continue on ongoing basis to produce quality players. Those two points address the issue you raise.

But Prof, I think you are being a little...lets say...naive here. Or maybe you are plying a diplomatic path.
It is not really contestable that the cream of the NPFL players not only want to move abroad but are actively being recruited abroad.
I don't think this can be contested.

Short of a ban or some sort of gatekeeping rule limiting this exodus, how exactly is Rohr, and in fact ANY national team coach, expected to keep a stable squad of players when by default this new philosophy eliminates certain key players simply because a quote has to be filled?

Let's be very honest here.

The fact that the NPFL ''will continue to produce quality players" is not the point at all.
Every professional player is a quality player to a degree, otherwise he wouldn't be earning a living playing football.

What we are talking about is elite players. Creme de la creme.

Nigeria expects results but is encouraging policies that ultimately work against it.
Which country in the world expects to reach the highest level of achievement in ANY sport whilst using a quota system?

I know you do not want to use that term 'quota', but it IS a quota system by stealth.
It is undeniable Prof.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 10570
Location: loughborough.
Excellent. Home Based players will be in the SE squad.

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18458
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Damunk,

You talk of exceptional quality players. Bros, you can get an exceptional player in the NPFL come through. Make no mistake about that. Production of players is a revolving door... it is never ending in Nigeria.

Nevertheless, you talk about the cream of players. Has Rohr picked the cream for the SE? Has he really? Was the SE goalie considered the cream when he was first called up to the SE from Division III or IV? Why is that acceptable because he was born overseas and playing outside Nigeria? Why not the NPFL?

Was Iwobi playing regularly for Arsenal or even did he play a league game before he became an SE guy? Bros, these special dispensations if possible, should also be possible with players in the NPFL.

The truth, my brother, is that Rohr was creating a team of those with special favors.

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
So Rohr calls up these NFPL players per quota basis and they end up getting contracts to any backwater foreign clubs (since these local based players just want to move out by any means possible)... then what happens next after they become "foreign based" players?


Although, I do not support the Minister dictating what NFF should do, the logic above is a bit simplistic. First, the SE is and has never been a team with a permanent squad of players. Second, the NPFL continues and will continue on ongoing basis to produce quality players. Those two points address the issue you raise.

But Prof, I think you are being a little...lets say...naive here. Or maybe you are plying a diplomatic path.
It is not really contestable that the cream of the NPFL players not only want to move abroad but are actively being recruited abroad.
I don't think this can be contested.

Short of a ban or some sort of gatekeeping rule limiting this exodus, how exactly is Rohr, and in fact ANY national team coach, expected to keep a stable squad of players when by default this new philosophy eliminates certain key players simply because a quote has to be filled?

Let's be very honest here.

The fact that the NPFL ''will continue to produce quality players" is not the point at all.
Every professional player is a quality player to a degree, otherwise he wouldn't be earning a living playing football.

What we are talking about is elite players. Creme de la creme.

Nigeria expects results but is encouraging policies that ultimately work against it.
Which country in the world expects to reach the highest level of achievement in ANY sport whilst using a quota system?

I know you do not want to use that term 'quota', but it IS a quota system by stealth.
It is undeniable Prof.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43445
Location: UK
PROF, I have to disagree with you yet again.
So Rohr now stands accused of calling up less than the best Nigeria has to offer? :ohmy:
So who specifically are these players that have been left out?

I think the malicious accusations are mounting and becoming increasingly Trumpian.
Okoye the whipping boy is again at the root of the anti-Rohr allegations.
Chai, Prof.
You fall my hand for this one.

It is obvious why Okoye was called up but that is a debate for another day.
But even if as you say, you don't think sacking Rohr right now is the right thing to do, you are nevertheless contributing to the drip-drip-drip undoing of a coach that really hasn't done much wrong in the general scheme of things:
i. AFCON bronze instead of gold.
ii. Failed to escape a WC group featuring Argentina captained by the G.O.A.T. and world cup finalists Croatia captained by the Player of the Tournament
iii. Drew 4-4 with an 'African minnow' after taking a 4-goal lead
iv. Uhm....uhm.... lots of unsubstantiated sins which his detractors have no interest in verifying as fact or fiction.

Good luck with the quota system. I taya for our people.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:


Enugu II wrote:
Damunk,

You talk of exceptional quality players. Bros, you can get an exceptional player in the NPFL come through. Make no mistake about that. Production of players is a revolving door... it is never ending in Nigeria.

Nevertheless, you talk about the cream of players. Has Rohr picked the cream for the SE? Has he really? Was the SE goalie considered the cream when he was first called up to the SE from Division III or IV? Why is that acceptable because he was born overseas and playing outside Nigeria? Why not the NPFL?

Was Iwobi playing regularly for Arsenal or even did he play a league game before he became an SE guy? Bros, these special dispensations if possible, should also be possible with players in the NPFL.

The truth, my brother, is that Rohr was creating a team of those with special favors.

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
So Rohr calls up these NFPL players per quota basis and they end up getting contracts to any backwater foreign clubs (since these local based players just want to move out by any means possible)... then what happens next after they become "foreign based" players?


Although, I do not support the Minister dictating what NFF should do, the logic above is a bit simplistic. First, the SE is and has never been a team with a permanent squad of players. Second, the NPFL continues and will continue on ongoing basis to produce quality players. Those two points address the issue you raise.

But Prof, I think you are being a little...lets say...naive here. Or maybe you are plying a diplomatic path.
It is not really contestable that the cream of the NPFL players not only want to move abroad but are actively being recruited abroad.
I don't think this can be contested.

Short of a ban or some sort of gatekeeping rule limiting this exodus, how exactly is Rohr, and in fact ANY national team coach, expected to keep a stable squad of players when by default this new philosophy eliminates certain key players simply because a quote has to be filled?

Let's be very honest here.

The fact that the NPFL ''will continue to produce quality players" is not the point at all.
Every professional player is a quality player to a degree, otherwise he wouldn't be earning a living playing football.

What we are talking about is elite players. Creme de la creme.

Nigeria expects results but is encouraging policies that ultimately work against it.
Which country in the world expects to reach the highest level of achievement in ANY sport whilst using a quota system?

I know you do not want to use that term 'quota', but it IS a quota system by stealth.
It is undeniable Prof.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18458
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Damunk wrote:
PROF, I have to disagree with you yet again.
So Rohr now stands accused of calling up less than the best Nigeria has to offer? :ohmy:
So who specifically are these players that have been left out?

I think the malicious accusations are mounting and becoming increasingly Trumpian.
Okoye the whipping boy is again at the root of the anti-Rohr allegations.
Chai, Prof.
You fall my hand for this one.

It is obvious why Okoye was called up but that is a debate for another day.

I bring it up because you laid down the challenge that no NPFL player is good enough. I pointed iut at least two players that Rohr invited to the SE who were not at the top of their game when they were invited. If those were granted exceptions, why not NPFL players? That is exactly the point. No one will be raising these issues if it was TRUE that Rohr has focused invitations only on accomplished players based in Europe. However, we know that has not be factual and I have just pointed to two examples to disclaim that only the best are being invited. So why not NPFL players, again?

But even if as you say, you don't think sacking Rohr right now is the right thing to do, you are nevertheless contributing to the drip-drip-drip undoing of a coach that really hasn't done much wrong in the general scheme of things:
i. AFCON bronze instead of gold.
ii. Failed to escape a WC group featuring Argentina captained by the G.O.A.T. and world cup finalists Croatia captained by the Player of the Tournament
iii. Drew 4-4 with an 'African minnow' after taking a 4-goal lead
iv. Uhm....uhm.... lots of unsubstantiated sins which his detractors have no interest in verifying as fact or fiction.

Good luck with the quota system. I taya for our people.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk,

I would expect you to be able to decipher the differences.... However, let me lay it out.

1. Rohr has not proven that that he is the best Nigeria can hire. His track record shows him as average.
2. Should he be fired? Not now because he is meting still the basic expectations. If he does not do better, he should be fired as soon as his contract is over. Nigeria aspires to do better.
3. Should the Minister be the one to fire him? NEVER. I cannot ever support that. To hire or fire the NT coach is strictly the responsibility of the NFF.

I hope you follow the nuance in my view. I expected you to be able to do that already.


Enugu II wrote:
Damunk,

You talk of exceptional quality players. Bros, you can get an exceptional player in the NPFL come through. Make no mistake about that. Production of players is a revolving door... it is never ending in Nigeria.

Nevertheless, you talk about the cream of players. Has Rohr picked the cream for the SE? Has he really? Was the SE goalie considered the cream when he was first called up to the SE from Division III or IV? Why is that acceptable because he was born overseas and playing outside Nigeria? Why not the NPFL?

Was Iwobi playing regularly for Arsenal or even did he play a league game before he became an SE guy? Bros, these special dispensations if possible, should also be possible with players in the NPFL.

The truth, my brother, is that Rohr was creating a team of those with special favors.

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
So Rohr calls up these NFPL players per quota basis and they end up getting contracts to any backwater foreign clubs (since these local based players just want to move out by any means possible)... then what happens next after they become "foreign based" players?


Although, I do not support the Minister dictating what NFF should do, the logic above is a bit simplistic. First, the SE is and has never been a team with a permanent squad of players. Second, the NPFL continues and will continue on ongoing basis to produce quality players. Those two points address the issue you raise.

But Prof, I think you are being a little...lets say...naive here. Or maybe you are plying a diplomatic path.
It is not really contestable that the cream of the NPFL players not only want to move abroad but are actively being recruited abroad.
I don't think this can be contested.

Short of a ban or some sort of gatekeeping rule limiting this exodus, how exactly is Rohr, and in fact ANY national team coach, expected to keep a stable squad of players when by default this new philosophy eliminates certain key players simply because a quote has to be filled?

Let's be very honest here.

The fact that the NPFL ''will continue to produce quality players" is not the point at all.
Every professional player is a quality player to a degree, otherwise he wouldn't be earning a living playing football.

What we are talking about is elite players. Creme de la creme.

Nigeria expects results but is encouraging policies that ultimately work against it.
Which country in the world expects to reach the highest level of achievement in ANY sport whilst using a quota system?

I know you do not want to use that term 'quota', but it IS a quota system by stealth.
It is undeniable Prof.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA, Google [Bot], oyek and 49 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group