Rohr has got to start picking players on current form

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

olumide
Egg
Egg
Re: Rohr has got to start picking players on current form

Post by olumide »

The Lookman Iheanacho comparison is genuinely bizarre. They don't play the same position for club and likely won't be in competition for a places in the squad. So because Lookman finished a 1 on 1 and Kelechi couldn't get a touch on one that flashed across him, Lookman is a better finisher? Nothing in their careers suggests this. Lookman is doing well and I am happy for him, why you have to denigrate another player to elevate one that does not even play the same position is just strange to me.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
fabio wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Oyinbo Coach Knows Best. Rohr knows what he is doing. Natives should leave the man alone.
No, Rohr is learning and we have to stay humble!
No. We are the ones learning. He is discovering like Mungo Park.
When is our next expedition? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

olumide wrote:The Lookman Iheanacho comparison is genuinely bizarre. They don't play the same position for club and likely won't be in competition for a places in the squad. So because Lookman finished a 1 on 1 and Kelechi couldn't get a touch on one that flashed across him, Lookman is a better finisher? Nothing in their careers suggests this. Lookman is doing well and I am happy for him, why you have to denigrate another player to elevate one that does not even play the same position is just strange to me.
Bros,

Very soon you will read that Lookman has BETTER FOOTBALL EDUCATION than Iheanacho.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

My ideal if we got all our players cleared by FIFA and the World Cup were next year:

Starting 11
Uzoho
Aina
Sanusi
Akpoguma
Adarabioyo
Ndidi
Aribo
Ebere
Lookman
Osimhen
Ejuke

Subs
Okoye
Yakubu
Ebuehi
Bassey
Ajayi
Awaziem
Etebo
Nwakali
Iwobi
Kalu
Dessers
Chukwueze

Standby
Alampasu
Collins
Balogun
Ekong
Omeruo
Alhassan
Tijani
Ejaria
Iheanacho
Olanrewaju
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo, I told you how many months ago that Uzoho was nowhere near ready for a come back as he had just started running, you posted one junk report, hope you are seeing till this day he hasn't had a single appearance for his club. You haven't seen him after his injury, how can any sensible person list him as the number 1? It just seems you do these things to generate useless banter....mschew
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:My ideal if we got all our players cleared by FIFA and the World Cup were next year:

Starting 11
Uzoho
Aina
Sanusi
Akpoguma
Adarabioyo
Ndidi
Aribo
Ebere
Lookman
Osimhen
Ejuke

Subs
Okoye
Yakubu
Ebuehi
Bassey
Ajayi
Awaziem
Etebo
Nwakali
Iwobi
Kalu
Dessers
Chukwueze

Standby
Alampasu
Collins
Balogun
Ekong
Omeruo
Alhassan
Tijani
Ejaria
Iheanacho
Olanrewaju
Ebere surely isn't serious about playing for Nigeria, kid is still holding out for England so let's forget him for now. Maduka on CURRENT Form is the undisputed numero uno GK.

Iwobi and one among Kalu or Chukwueze barring any loss of form or injuries are sure starters... The battle for that attacking outlet will be fierce when Lookman and Ejaria join the team next year; the plus side of which is that we will have quality options and Iwobi won't be our only creative engine... right now Lookman seems to be winning so far.

Adarabioyo will easily displace any CB in that team except Balogun. Meanwhile the jury is still out on Akpoguma...we have to see how good is he in his natural CB position in couple of matches before we anoint him good enough to make the starting XI.

The competition for places will be very fierce, I don't think Rohr has any excuse not to win the next AFCON or at least make the final, ditto the final round of 16 in the world cup.
Last edited by Tobi17 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote:Ayo, I told you how many months ago that Uzoho was nowhere near ready for a come back as he had just started running, you posted one junk report, hope you are seeing till this day he hasn't had a single appearance for his club. You haven't seen him after his injury, how can any sensible person list him as the number 1? It just seems you do these things to generate useless banter....mschew
You dey mind Ayo...
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

No Moses Simon??? Nacho on the standby list? Who the hell is Bassey? Balogun on Standby? It is Most likely West Brom along with Ajayi will be relegated the same applies to Fulham with Aina, Lookman & Tosin. So going by Ayo's selection majority of our squad would be championship players and we want to get to the Quarter finals. Let's look at past World Cup quarter finalist , how many featured players playing in the lower leagues such as the championship ????

I remember when Nigeria qualified for the World Cup and a stupid idea was suggested that we drop the players that got us there in place of players who were considered 'better' but didn't play a single qualifier match, the team proceeded to drop the top scorer during the qualifiers and the player that scored the winning goal in the finals of the ANC. The team managed to get to the second round but no one looks a upon that team with any nostalgia now the same individual wants to repeat by replacing players with players we have never seen in the GWG. Before Akpoguma played for us all kinds of noise was made in support now having seen him in the GWG we are not sure he is good enough. The same may occur to the other players yet to play for us. They may look good at club level but can they make the step up to international football? I am not so sure
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

maceo4 wrote:Ayo, I told you how many months ago that Uzoho was nowhere near ready for a come back as he had just started running, you posted one junk report, hope you are seeing till this day he hasn't had a single appearance for his club. You haven't seen him after his injury, how can any sensible person list him as the number 1? It just seems you do these things to generate useless banter....mschew

Not true. He has played at least one FA Cup match.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tobi17 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:My ideal if we got all our players cleared by FIFA and the World Cup were next year:

Starting 11
Uzoho
Aina
Sanusi
Akpoguma
Adarabioyo
Ndidi
Aribo
Ebere
Lookman
Osimhen
Ejuke

Subs
Okoye
Yakubu
Ebuehi
Bassey
Ajayi
Awaziem
Etebo
Nwakali
Iwobi
Kalu
Dessers
Chukwueze

Standby
Alampasu
Collins
Balogun
Ekong
Omeruo
Alhassan
Tijani
Ejaria
Iheanacho
Olanrewaju
Ebere surely isn't serious about playing for Nigeria, kid is still holding out for England so let's forget him for now. Maduka on CURRENT Form is the undisputed numero uno GK.

Iwobi and one among Kalu or Chukwueze barring any loss of form or injuries are sure starters... The battle for that attacking outlet will be fierce when Lookman and Ejaria join the team next year; the plus side of which is that we will have quality options and Iwobi won't be our only creative engine... right now Lookman seems to be winning so far.

Adarabioyo will easily displace any CB in that team except Balogun. Meanwhile the jury is still out on Akpoguma...we have to see how good is he in his natural CB position in couple of matches before we anoint him good enough to make the starting XI.

The competition for places will be very fierce, I don't think Rohr has any excuse not to win the next AFCON or at least make the final, ditto the final round of 16 in the world cup.

My problem with Rohr is that all this form will count for nothing. He has made his mind up on who he wants and will select them come what may.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Flex Swift wrote:No Moses Simon??? Nacho on the standby list? Who the hell is Bassey? Balogun on Standby? It is Most likely West Brom along with Ajayi will be relegated the same applies to Fulham with Aina, Lookman & Tosin. So going by Ayo's selection majority of our squad would be championship players and we want to get to the Quarter finals. Let's look at past World Cup quarter finalist , how many featured players playing in the lower leagues such as the championship ????

I remember when Nigeria qualified for the World Cup and a stupid idea was suggested that we drop the players that got us there in place of players who were considered 'better' but didn't play a single qualifier match, the team proceeded to drop the top scorer during the qualifiers and the player that scored the winning goal in the finals of the ANC. The team managed to get to the second round but no one looks a upon that team with any nostalgia now the same individual wants to repeat by replacing players with players we have never seen in the GWG. Before Akpoguma played for us all kinds of noise was made in support now having seen him in the GWG we are not sure he is good enough. The same may occur to the other players yet to play for us. They may look good at club level but can they make the step up to international football? I am not so sure
[1] Moses Simon is not good enough if we want to win anything
[2] Calvin Bassey is a leftback who plays for Glasgow rangers. Go and Google him
[3] If Fulham get relegated, Aina, Lookman and Adarabioyo will all get bought by Premier League clubs
[4] Ola Aina is still a Torino player anyway. he is only on loan to Fulham
[5] Lookman too is a Leipzig player and only on a season-long loan to Fulham
[6] Id West Brom get relegated, I would not bother too much. Ajayi lacks the leadership required of a centreback at the highest level in my opinion
[7] Anyone who has seen Akpogunma play at centreback will curse Rohr for playing him as a rightback
[8] I like Balogun a lot and love his solidity but know that he will get done for pace big time come the World Cup. Imagine Balogun making a run from the halfway line with say Sadio Mane, Zviad Mahrez, Mo Sallah, Pierre Aubameyang, Serio Aguero, Jamie Vardie or Kylian Mbappe
[9] One of our big problems has always been having tired legs in the team. We carry too many players without the energy, pace, dynamism and tenacity to run tirelessly for 90 minutes. It is why I would drop players like Balogun and Ajayi. If you have ever watched a Marcelo Bielsa training session as I have, you will appreciate my point
[10] My only real worry is that Rohr is not thinking like me. He has already decided on who plays, irrespective of form.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote:The competition for places will be very fierce, I don't think Rohr has any excuse not to win the next AFCON or at least make the final, ditto the final round of 16 in the world cup.
:D :D :D
Question: If we don't have an excuse not to win AFCON, how come we have an excuse not to win the WC?
How and why? :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: My problem with Rohr is that all this form will count for nothing. He has made his mind up on who he wants and will select them come what may.
This is questionable...myth repeated and recycled in various forms over and over again until it becomes a false 'truth'.
Just look at the number of players that have come into the squad since the WC 2018 OR AFCON just last year (yes, just last year!)
Check the lists yourself.
Does that support your widely held theory that he sticks with his players "come what may"?

This is all about Musa, finish.
Before that it was Ighalo, finish.
Two players out of how many that have been invited to grace the pitch in GWG under him?

Or is it Akpeyi that even we here are divided on? Who else?

Check am yourself nah. Tell us which players are undeserving of such managerial confidence and loyalty.

'Tok true make di Devil be a-shame.' :lol:
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Damunk wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote: My problem with Rohr is that all this form will count for nothing. He has made his mind up on who he wants and will select them come what may.
This is questionable...myth repeated and recycled in various forms over and over again until it becomes a false 'truth'.
Just look at the number of players that have come into the squad since the WC 2018 OR AFCON just last year (yes, just last year!)
Does that support your widely held theory that he sticks with his players "come what may"?

Two players out of how many that have been invited to grace the pitch in GWG under him?

Check am yourself nah. Tell us which players are undeserving of such managerial confidence and loyalty.

I will later be publishing a piece about how Rohr peaked after the Ukraine and Brazil friendlies. Since then, he has been on a downward spiral.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Damunk wrote:

I will later be publishing a piece about how Rohr peaked after the Ukraine and Brazil friendlies. Since then, he has been on a downward spiral.
Yes we have been on a downward spiral after those 2 friendlies(i would perhaps include the Benin and Lesotho match. Lesotho game was awesome except for the cheap goals we gave up), but is it really simply because of Rohr ? Let's really try to get to the bottom of it and look at these factors.

1. Covid layoff stopped our momentum
2. Ndidi has missed all 4 matches, we seem to lack a true backup
3. Osimehn missed 3 out of 4 matches
4. Brand new players in key positions (Okoye, Sanusi, Akpoguma, Onyeka)
5. Poor playing fields in last 2 matches.
6. The re introduction of Ahmed Musa

Football is a science, there is no simplistic answer in all this. The reasons are multiple, its not simply Rohr=Bad.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

When was that? And one FA Cup match is what qualifies as your "players on current form"???? While Okoye has been a starter in a much better league for many weeks now? Same with Osigwe etc...See even you can't put your bias aside but you want Rohr to?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote: Yes we have been on a downward spiral after those 2 friendlies(i would perhaps include the Benin and Lesotho match. Lesotho game was awesome except for the cheap goals we gave up), but is it really simply because of Rohr ? Let's really try to get to the bottom of it and look at these factors.

Football is a science, there is no simplistic answer in all this. The reasons are multiple, its not simply Rohr=Bad.
It´s everyone and everything´s fault, apart from Rohr.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

fabio wrote:
vancity eagle wrote: Yes we have been on a downward spiral after those 2 friendlies(i would perhaps include the Benin and Lesotho match. Lesotho game was awesome except for the cheap goals we gave up), but is it really simply because of Rohr ? Let's really try to get to the bottom of it and look at these factors.

It´s everyone and everything´s fault, apart from Rohr.
Its as if these things ONLY happened to Rohr's team specifically lol..
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

vancity eagle wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Yes we have been on a downward spiral after those 2 friendlies(i would perhaps include the Benin and Lesotho match. Lesotho game was awesome except for the cheap goals we gave up), but is it really simply because of Rohr ? Let's really try to get to the bottom of it and look at these factors.

Chei! So na only Nigeria Covid-19 affect! That virus is wicked abeg. Maybe it originated from the River Niger!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

When was that? And one FA Cup match is what qualifies as your "players on current form"???? While Okoye has been a starter in a much better league for many weeks now? Same with Osigwe etc...See even you can't put your bias aside but you want Rohr to?
Uzoho stands head and shoulders above all our other goalkeepers!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Uzoho stands head and shoulders above all our other goalkeepers!
:rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Welcome to like...1999. :idea:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Great. The world awaits. :roll:
But before you publish this eagerly anticipated 'masterpiece', first tell us which players you say he is sticking with "come what may". :idea: