NFF to camp Home based players for SE games

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NFF to camp Home based players for SE games

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:Very good initiative. This nonsense of ring fencing the SE to (Pinnick Dream is over). Well done, Minister of Sports.

As for Rohr cry babies, you are feel to start wailing.
Do you really support the SE?
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Dammy wrote: Do you really support the SE?
We know you really support Rohr and his agent cum scout :tic:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

The likes of Rohr and VE wants to make us believe that we have no quality player back in Nigeria. I reject that narrative! It is not hard to understand why Rohr rarely ever stayed in Nigeria until he was forced in his new contract while VE opines all the way from his base in Canada. I don't even remember the last time he left North America for Africa.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Mystic,

While I agree that only those who show enough to be in the NT should be there from HB, the reality is that HB had ben offhandedly ignored in the last few years based on a misconception that no one good can be based at home. The fact is that the development of players is a revolving door ad can never be finished in Nigeria except when boys are banned from the game.

You note that raw talents are the only thing that can be found among HB. Well, why should that be a problem when raw talents are currently being invited from Europe and then groomed in the SE? That led to the SE discovering and developing Maduka Okoye from a lowly division player to where he is today. Was that not the case? If that was okay, why would that not be okay doing the same with HB players?
mystic wrote:
Gotti wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:You see the ghost of Keshi is still haunting us. They referenced Keshi using "about 8 home-based players" to win afcon. This is a gross overstatement. There were only 6 home-based players, not 8.

First off , most of those players barely saw any action and remained on the bench. Only Mba and Oboabonna played any significant minutes.

Second off, back then there were nowhere near as many quality options abroad as we have now, making the fringe use of home-based players .more understandable.

Third off, even that fringe use of hb players turned out to be a failed project in the long run as we failed to qualify for next afcon, and those players we used dissapeared off the face of the planet, ending up in obscure leagues.
Dude, you're the only one whom the "ghost" of Keshi is haunting.
For most Nigerians, the MEMORY of Keshi is a rather pleasant one!
Maybe it is the ghost of supporting Ivory Coast that is worrying Vancity :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

On a serious note, I see both good and bad in this plan. As a means of grooming and cultivating home-based talent principally for the CHAN teams (with the possibility of uncovering one or two gems for the Super Eagles proper) this is a good thing. However trying to force players into the Super Eagles (which I fear is the ultimate motive behind this) simply because some folks want to see home-based players in the team, or some other folks want to return the chop I chop days is not something that I can support.

There should be no mandates stipulating that home-based players should be in the Super Eagles. Is it the same local league players who half the time are on hiatus and who disgrace us every year in continental competitions that folks want to force on the Super Eagles?

No doubt there is abundant talent in Nigeria but that talent is raw. And rather than doing the things that are necessary to uplift the standard of the Nigerian league, which will in turn uplift the quality of the home-based talent, we want to take short cuts which ultimately lead to nowhere.

EII,

If they had found a young goalkeeper with 'raw talent' in Nigeria that was worthy of our attention, I would have applauded them for that as well.

On another note, with the Sports Minister raging about the Sierra Leone "embarrassment", why doesn't he equally look into the "embarrassment" that Nigerian clubs put us through every year in Continental competitions? He said that his interference with the Super Eagles is a non issue since they represent Nigeria and he's the minister. So why not apply the same logic to the improvement of the Nigerian league clubs (which is infinitely more important)? Is it that we've simply come to accept the non-performance of our clubsides? Or is it that there's no brown envelope money to be made on the side? And if we've come to accept that our clubsides are not up to scratch, why then mandate that players from these clubs should be in the national team?

The Nigerian league will not magically improve simply because Nigerian league players are in the national team.
The Sports Minister should also mandate the national basketball team, D'Tigers to include home based basketballers in the team.
Anyone who supports this daft initiative has an agenda!
I am happy
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote:The effort should be made to improve the league full stop, and not mandating players. But we must always do things backwards.
Direct your question to Pinnick... Asking why in 5 years as NFF chairman the league as not improved.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

highbury wrote:The likes of Rohr and VE wants to make us believe that we have no quality player back in Nigeria. I reject that narrative! It is not hard to understand why Rohr rarely ever stayed in Nigeria until he was forced in his new contract while VE opines all the way from his base in Canada. I don't even remember the last time he left North America for Africa.
That´s the Pinnick Hegemony implemented by Rohr and pushed in the media by the former SE spokesperson. If you reject the narrative, you will be labelled as having an agenda or told to give us names of HB worthy of the SE.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Who are these "quality" players in Nigeria ?

And WHO in Rohrs squad should they replace ?

Names and if possible youtube clips please ?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

vancity eagle wrote:Who are these "quality" players in Nigeria ?

We just need another 'Sunday Mbah' an Elephant slayer to join the team to help us deal with the likes of Madagascar :tic:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wanaj0 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Who are these "quality" players in Nigeria ?

We just need another 'Sunday Mbah' an Elephant slayer to join the team to help us deal with the likes of Madagascar :tic:

Who are they? WE DO NOT KNOW WHO TGEY ARE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT SCOUTED YET. We simply logically believe they exist. You will only know when they are scouted like the Maduka Okoyes were scouted.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote: The Sports Minister should also mandate the national basketball team, D'Tigers to include home based basketballers in the team.
Anyone who supports this daft initiative has an agenda!
There's a way to do both. That is, develop and afford opportunities to the local talent while fielding your best team.

Unfortunately, it will require more funding.

The local league has to do a better job of marketing their players and raising their profile.

I still maintain that the coach and his staff should be mandated to attend more local games whenever the league starts.

If possible, have a once in a month get together with local players. Anyone who has played with pros playing levels above you will tell you for free that it is one of the best learning moments for an aspiring pro. It inspires you to want to play better... even emulating them.

Personally, I have a problem where regardless of how good you are as a local player there's ZERO hope of getting any look by the National team handlers.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

That's already happening (Yobo) and for all intents and purposes, that is a bloody waste of time for Gernot Rohr to attend those games. He needs to focus on scouting players who are playing in the competitive leagues globally. Making Nigeria a competitive team on the international stage is PARAMOUNT and all this nonsense about local players is an unnecessary distraction.

Regarding the 'once a month' thingy you mentioned, who is going to pay for it? the NFF? Their mandate is to develop the very best team for Nigeria. If that dummkopf of a sports minister wants that, then let him pay for it. No SE sponsor is interested in wasting their money on a failed project. And while the daft minister is at it, he should also use his funds to fix and repair the national stadium in Abuja or Lagos or Uyo, so that the SE can have a stable home for its home games. That should be his remit, not trying to superimpose his dumb-#$% ideas of what type of Nigerian footballer should be in the national team.
Cellular wrote: I still maintain that the coach and his staff should be mandated to attend more local games whenever the league starts.

If possible, have a once in a month get together with local players. Anyone who has played with pros playing levels above you will tell you for free that it is one of the best learning moments for an aspiring pro. It inspires you to want to play better... even emulating them.

Well, that's not true.
Rohr's assistant coach is responsible for the CHAN SE team. Local NL players form the basis of that team. That should be the right step to take as a local player before getting to the SE proper. There, they can prove themselves worthy of playing international football. On average, you cannot take a primary school kid and expect him to perform academically at college level. Local players have repeatedly proven that they suck at the international (and even continental) level. The level of football intelligence required to perform at the global stage is just not there for the NL players. Rohr's remit is certainly NOT to be teaching players how to 'trap ball' in the words of Keshi (RIP). His job is to take the very best Nigerian talent out there across the globe and meld them into a formidable team. Yet, some folks here want these mediocre players being given quotas and playing in the SE. Pathetic!
Cellular wrote: Personally, I have a problem where regardless of how good you are as a local player there's ZERO hope of getting any look by the National team handlers.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
Dammy wrote: Do you really support the SE?
We know you really support Rohr and his agent cum scout :tic:
So you know this and you were commenting on another thread that Dammy has seen the light regarding Rohr.
Unlike you and your cohorts, who have a fixed agenda and are ready to die for it, my support has always been for the Super Eagles irrespective of who the coaches or players are!
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Otitokoro wrote:That's already happening (Yobo) and for all intents and purposes, that is a bloody waste of time for Gernot Rohr to attend those games. He needs to focus on scouting players who are playing in the competitive leagues globally. Making Nigeria a competitive team on the international stage is PARAMOUNT and all this nonsense about local players is an unnecessary distraction.

Regarding the 'once a month' thingy you mentioned, who is going to pay for it? the NFF? Their mandate is to develop the very best team for Nigeria. If that dummkopf of a sports minister wants that, then let him pay for it. No SE sponsor is interested in wasting their money on a failed project. And while the daft minister is at it, he should also use his funds to fix and repair the national stadium in Abuja or Lagos or Uyo, so that the SE can have a stable home for its home games. That should be his remit, not trying to superimpose his dumb-#$% ideas of what type of Nigerian footballer should be in the national team.
Cellular wrote: I still maintain that the coach and his staff should be mandated to attend more local games whenever the league starts.

Well, that's not true.
Rohr's assistant coach is responsible for the CHAN SE team. Local NL players form the basis of that team. That should be the right step to take as a local player before getting to the SE proper. There, they can prove themselves worthy of playing international football. On average, you cannot take a primary school kid and expect him to perform academically at college level. Local players have repeatedly proven that they suck at the international (and even continental) level. The level of football intelligence required to perform at the global stage is just not there for the NL players. Rohr's remit is certainly NOT to be teaching players how to 'trap ball' in the words of Keshi (RIP). His job is to take the very best Nigerian talent out there across the globe and meld them into a formidable team. Yet, some folks here want these mediocre players being given quotas and playing in the SE. Pathetic!
Cellular wrote: Personally, I have a problem where regardless of how good you are as a local player there's ZERO hope of getting any look by the National team handlers.
You think they don't know? But when they have an agenda, reason flies out of the window. If those supporting this daft idea in 2020, were asked to pick a SE team that would save the roof over their heads, I bet they would not pick a single home based player. Truth is that forcing hb players on the SE doesn't benefit the league in anyway, it's just the agents and those associated with the player that benefit as he would leave the country to go on trials as a Nigerian international. The cap they handed to Ndifreke Udo against Egypt last year in Asaba, how has it helped his career?
I am happy
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:You see the ghost of Keshi is still haunting us. They referenced Keshi using "about 8 home-based players" to win afcon. This is a gross overstatement. There were only 6 home-based players, not 8.

First off , most of those players barely saw any action and remained on the bench. Only Mba and Oboabonna played any significant minutes.

Second off, back then there were nowhere near as many quality options abroad as we have now, making the fringe use of home-based players .more understandable.

Third off, even that fringe use of hb players turned out to be a failed project in the long run as we failed to qualify for next afcon, and those players we used dissapeared off the face of the planet, ending up in obscure leagues.
Quality options abroad like Uchebo ok yes we understand
Is Uchebo the only player based in abroad we used? As already stated, we have more quality players in abroad today than we had then. That is the truth.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Money has dried up in Nigeria, $ is now N500. With Sports Minister looking for money to cut the grass at the national stadium, this move is just to open up a revenue stream for crooks and agents. You need money to camp players and to pay them, once a stream is opened for local intake of FIFA and CAF money, its hammer time.
What? $1 is now N500? At where? Please tell me, tell me quickly! The last tine I checked, I think it was $1.00 to N492.00, but it has fallen back to about $1.00 to N465.00, or so
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.