Post subject: Ajayi hangs v Liverpool
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:04 pm 

Beautiful header! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:20 pm 

Always saving this useless team

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:54 pm 

maceo4 wrote:
Always saving this useless team

The guy will k leg the relegation battle with frustrating football. Arsenal don enta okro soup in the relegation battle. :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:37 pm 

Good header by him. Seems to be very useful when it comes to set pieces but I don't rate him as Defender. He isn't that great of a defender yet. He gave Mane the space for the Liverpool goal. Tosin of Fulham , Balogun and even Omerou (who is also barely average) will start ahead of him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:29 am 

icee wrote:
Good header by him. Seems to be very useful when it comes to set pieces but I don't rate him as Defender. He isn't that great of a defender yet. He gave Mane the space for the Liverpool goal. Tosin of Fulham, Balogun and even Omerou (who is also barely average) will start ahead of him.
There's just something not quite right about him and I can't place it.
Is it concentration?
Is it confidence?
Is it a lack of that commanding presence a CD has to have and exude?
I dunno tbh.

Its probably the fact that our performance benchmarks are ever rising.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:43 am 

Damunk wrote:
icee wrote:
Good header by him. Seems to be very useful when it comes to set pieces but I don't rate him as Defender. He isn't that great of a defender yet. He gave Mane the space for the Liverpool goal. Tosin of Fulham, Balogun and even Omerou (who is also barely average) will start ahead of him.
Is it concentration?
Is it confidence?
I dunno tbh.

I know right, it’s almost like he’s not a natural CD, how many times do you see him putting in crunching sliding tackles? It’s really weird how he plays that position, once he’s beaten you don’t see him putting in a lunging slide tackle to clear the danger like a normal CD would, he just tries to chase down like a midfielder would. He doesn’t fling himself at shots in the box like I normally see top defenders doing in critical moments. He’s an ok footballer but is he really a CD?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:20 am 

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
icee wrote:
Is it concentration?
Is it confidence?
I dunno tbh.

I know right, it’s almost like he’s not a natural CD, how many times do you see him putting in crunching sliding tackles? It’s really weird how he plays that position, once he’s beaten you don’t see him putting in a lunging slide tackle to clear the danger like a normal CD would, he just tries to chase down like a midfielder would. He doesn’t fling himself at shots in the box like I normally see top defenders doing in critical moments. He’s an ok footballer but is he really a CD?

Kai...... see haters. :laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:20 am 

I don't even think Ajayi is a natural CD at this point... maybe he should play more as a CDM.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:12 am 

He’s a good CD. Maybe our best at the moment.
Positionally strong, good in the air, not bad with the ball.
Don’t let his languid style deceive you; the dude works his #$% off.
Watch his without the ball; he’s constantly pointing and organising the defence, sniffing out trouble.
I thought he could have done better with Mane’s goal yesterday. But to be fair Mane was moving all over the place and even the very best would have struggled with that. But later in the half, it’s Semi’s pressure that prevented Mane from getting another.
He’s not the second coming or anything, but in our current glut of ok CDs, Semi is probably the best for now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:39 pm 

waka-man wrote:
Watch his without the ball; he’s constantly pointing and organising the defence, sniffing out trouble.
I thought he could have done better with Mane’s goal yesterday. But to be fair Mane was moving all over the place and even the very best would have struggled with that. But later in the half, it’s Semi’s pressure that prevented Mane from getting another.
He’s not the second coming or anything, but in our current glut of ok CDs, Semi is probably the best for now.

He is better as a defensive midfielder, honestly.
I would take any of Balogun, Kenneth etc over Ajayi any day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm 

ANC wrote:
waka-man wrote:

Where were u when Ruhr played him at DM vs Algeria? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:55 am 

Ajayi became a starter right after the ANC 2019 and frankly he did very well, was good in the air, I dont remember him putting a foot wrong. Had a great game vs Brazil.

But when he came on as a sub for Balogun against Sierra Leone, he was sleeping right off the bat and it lead to us conceeding a goal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:00 pm 

vancity eagle wrote:
Ajayi became a starter right after the ANC 2019 and frankly he did very well, was good in the air, I dont remember him putting a foot wrong. Had a great game vs Brazil.

But when he came on as a sub for Balogun against Sierra Leone, he was sleeping right off the bat and it lead to us conceeding a goal.

It happened against Lesotho as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 pm 

So, you will gladly cast away a player who made one (1) error against a mediocre team like Lesotho (or Sierra Leone - I would disagree though), however, more than held his own against Brazil (one of the best footballing teams on the planet)? Convenient cherry picking, if you ask me.
FYI - every single one of our center-backs have made errors at one point in time or another:
1. Ekong - Algeria AFCON SF, and a TON of others
2. Balogun - AFCON Madagascar
3. Omeruo - WC Argentina
4. Awaziem - AFCON-Q (Lesotho), amongst countless others.
These are just incidents that come to mind. I am sure there are many more that anyone can dig up.

Look, as far as I am concerned, Ajayi ranks as one of our top 3 center-backs (and it really is a toss up between Balogun, Akpoguma and Ajayi as to who is #1). Tosin Adarabioyo is not a Nigerian international yet and frankly, is not experienced enough on the international stage to even be ranked. One for the future? Perhaps. Regarding Ekong - for me, he is a 'nice to have' on the bench. I strongly believe he does NOT outrank Ajayi, Balogun or Akpoguma at this point in time and should certainly NOT be starting ahead of any of the three.

Ajayi has consistently been one of the best players at West Brom and has very much held his own against the best players in the world that the Premiership has to offer. None of our other center-backs, save for Akpoguma, have done that. He has stepped into the squad's leadership position (having captained the team twice now, I believe) and has done a good job.

I am not at all concerned about the so called mistakes he made during the Lesotho and Sierra Leone games. The whole SE backline took a snooze on the job and paid for it.
Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:41 pm 

Otitokoro wrote:
So, you will gladly cast away a player who made one (1) error against a mediocre team like Lesotho (or Sierra Leone - I would disagree though), however, more than held his own against Brazil (one of the best footballing teams on the planet)? Convenient cherry picking, if you ask me.
FYI - every single one of our center-backs have made errors at one point in time or another:
1. Ekong - Algeria AFCON SF, and a TON of others
2. Balogun - AFCON Madagascar
3. Omeruo - WC Argentina
4. Awaziem - AFCON-Q (Lesotho), amongst countless others.
These are just incidents that come to mind. I am sure there are many more that anyone can dig up.

Look, as far as I am concerned, Ajayi ranks as one of our top 3 center-backs (and it really is a toss up between Balogun, Akpoguma and Ajayi as to who is #1). Tosin Adarabioyo is not a Nigerian international yet and frankly, is not experienced enough on the international stage to even be ranked. One for the future? Perhaps. Regarding Ekong - for me, he is a 'nice to have' on the bench. I strongly believe he does NOT outrank Ajayi, Balogun or Akpoguma at this point in time and should certainly NOT be starting ahead of any of the three.

Ajayi has consistently been one of the best players at West Brom and has very much held his own against the best players in the world that the Premiership has to offer. None of our other center-backs, save for Akpoguma, have done that. He has stepped into the squad's leadership position (having captained the team twice now, I believe) and has done a good job.

I am not at all concerned about the so called mistakes he made during the Lesotho and Sierra Leone games. The whole SE backline took a snooze on the job and paid for it.
Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

I agree bro. People are trying to write him off too easily despite the fact he is playing at a high level, and doing well.

Troost Ekong needs to sit on the bench.

Ajayi, Balogun, Akpoguma, and Adarabioyo are all ahead of our captain Ekong. He has served us well but I dont think he should even make a 23 man squad let alone be a starter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:26 pm 

West Brom 0-1 nil down against Leeds now it is 2. West Brom 3-0 down playing @home only 36 minutes gone. Looks like game over score is now 4-0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:41 pm 

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
ANC wrote:
waka-man wrote:

Where were u when Ruhr played him at DM vs Algeria? :roll:

IMHO, he did well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:00 pm 

Useless player in a useless team. Among the lot of Ajayi, lookman, Aina, and the other useless player at Fulham, the only SE caliber player among them is Aina. The rest should be drafted in our CHAN team. That's where they belong!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:32 pm 

1naija wrote:

Useless player in a useless team. Among the lot of Ajayi, lookman, Aina, and the other useless player at Fulham, the only SE caliber player among them is Aina. The rest should be drafted in our CHAN team. That's where they belong!

I agree with you. That Ajayi is Yobo part 2.

"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Confederation * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:02 pm 

YemiBrazil wrote:
1naija wrote:

So in addition to being a useless player on a useless team, he coaches the SE also?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:56 pm 

1naija wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
1naija wrote:

So in addition to being a useless player on a useless team, he coaches the SE also?

Hmmm we are watching his career trajectory.

"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Confederation * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 pm 

Ajayi na real 'short-1' today vs Arsenal. :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:03 am 

Damunk wrote:
Ajayi na real 'short-1' today vs Arsenal. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The whole team was garbage. Even the goal by Lacazette that he first cleared against his post, he was the one that blocked the first shot that rebounded to Laca. Where were the other defenders? I don’t think he was worse than his team mates.