Maduka Okoye shows love to Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Maduka Okoye shows love to Rohr

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Maduka Okoye shows love to Rohr

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Akpeyi is back! :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Best thing Eguavoen can do to keep the Job.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:06 pm Akpeyi is back! :laugh:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I do not think it means Akpeyi is back. Rohr did a favor to the kid. That without doubt helped Okoye's career tremendously and Okoye has become far better because of it. Why now relegate him? I don't think so.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:18 pm I do not think it means Akpeyi is back. Rohr did a favor to the kid. That without doubt helped Okoye's career tremendously and Okoye has become far better because of it. Why now relegate him? I don't think so.
True, to be fair Rohr did help some SE players careers by bringing them to the spotlight... who would have thought Maduka would go from playing in some unknown club in the German second or third division to been signed up by a premier league team in just the space of few years.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

The dude isn't good enough! He can't catch a cold! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:18 pm I do not think it means Akpeyi is back. Rohr did a favor to the kid. That without doubt helped Okoye's career tremendously and Okoye has become far better because of it. Why now relegate him? I don't think so.
"Because **** was an agent."

"If he wasn't an agent why would he call a division 3 player?"

"That is how he was subventing his salary."

Lot's of things **** got away with... let a native try it.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:43 pm

True. BUT (and this is the big but), in this case Rohr took a gamble and it paid off. He ‘discovered’ the boy, gave him confidence, took risks, but ultimately Okoye is a legit bona-fide keeper and by far the best Nigerian keeper at the moment.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Paveman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:32 pm

True. BUT (and this is the big but), in this case Rohr took a gamble and it paid off. He ‘discovered’ the boy, gave him confidence, took risks, but ultimately Okoye is a legit bona-fide keeper and (ARGUABLY) by far the best Nigerian keeper at the moment.
Paveman, you are spot on.

I always give **** credit for unearthing talent.

My post was directed at the folks suffering from autophobia. When a local coach does the same thing, he is seen as basing it on pecuniary motives.

**** is a good manager but a below-par coach.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Are you stating: let a native try it?

A native tried it when Keshi invited a non-NPFL guy to Super Eagles. That was the reason NFF fired Keshi.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:36 pm

True. BUT (and this is the big but), in this case Rohr took a gamble and it paid off. He ‘discovered’ the boy, gave him confidence, took risks, but ultimately Okoye is a legit bona-fide keeper and (ARGUABLY) by far the best Nigerian keeper at the moment.

My post was directed at the folks suffering from autophobia. When a local coach does the same thing, he is seen as basing it on pecuniary motives.

I think perspective is very important here. Had Rohr plucked an unknown 3rd division attacker and chosen him in the squad, it would have been ridiculous (or corrupt) and definitely a sacking matter. You cannot justify choosing such a player when you have Kelechi, Osimhen etc etc

Rohr identified the key problematic area in the SE which was the goalkeeping position (also due to Uzoho’s troubles at the time) and decided to take a gamble on an unknown youngster. Yet, what were the alternatives at the time?

National team coaches should almost never be player ‘promoters’ as it is simply not their job to scout and push players. They are a national team coach and must choose the best players. HOWEVER, certain rare exceptions apply (and have been done over the years) including Okoye (because of the dire goalkeeping situation which (still) exists.

I agree though that a local coach would have had it much worse.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Paveman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:51 pm

I think perspective is very important here. Had Rohr plucked an unknown 3rd division attacker and chosen him in the squad, it would have been ridiculous (or corrupt) and definitely a sacking matter. You cannot justify choosing such a player when you have Kelechi, Osimhen etc etc

Rohr identified the key problematic area in the SE which was the goalkeeping position (also due to Uzoho’s troubles at the time) and decided to take a gamble on an unknown youngster. Yet, what were the alternatives at the time?

National team coaches should almost never be player ‘promoters’ as it is simply not their job to scout and push players. They are a national team coach and must choose the best players. HOWEVER, certain rare exceptions apply (and have been done over the years) including Okoye (because of the dire goalkeeping situation which (still) exists.

I agree though that a local coach would have had it much worse.
Paveman,

In my view Rohr should call up anyone he deems fit for his squad and so should anyone who is manager. After all,
It is on that manager if the team fails. What I disliked is the obvious deference given to Rohr on this issue.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

True. BUT (and this is the big but), in this case Rohr took a gamble and it paid off. He ‘discovered’ the boy, gave him confidence, took risks, but ultimately Okoye is a legit bona-fide keeper and by far the best Nigerian keeper at the moment.
People forgot that he did the same thing with Francis Uzoho.
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:42 pm

Are you stating: let a native try it?

A native tried it when Keshi invited a non-NPFL guy to Super Eagles. That was the reason NFF fired Keshi.
What about that Swiss 2nd division midfielder?
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

please tell me which local coach brought some "hey you" to SE who turned out to be a player that ended up at a big club in Europe.

You also forget that goalkeeper was a position we lacked good options in. Its not like Rohr picked an obscure player to play midfield or striker.

Again you are comparing apples to oranges to suit your agenda.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Undertaker wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:26 pm The dude isn't good enough! He can't catch a cold! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Akpeyi is the next big thing…..oh….don’t see any big teams coming for him….

Can’t he see where Mendy is mate us? At least Okoye is heading there. He is SA catching cold….ok
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Okoye is on the verge of becoming the 2nd Nigerian goalkeeper in the EPL, but some people with agenda are still referring to him as an obscure 3rd division goalkeeper rather than give credit to the coach that nurtured him.
Onigbinde did the same for Enyeama, who was not even Enyimba's number one when he took him to the WC
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:52 am Okoye is on the verge of becoming the 2nd Nigerian goalkeeper in the EPL, but some people with agenda are still referring to him as an obscure 3rd division goalkeeper rather than give credit to the coach that nurtured him.
Onigbinde did the same for Enyeama, who was not even Enyimba's number one when he took him to the WC
In my view, the Okoye example makes it clear that talent does not solely reside in the Premier league or the top divisions of Europe all elsewhere. Our Managers need to think expansively in seeking for talents.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:33 am

People forgot that he did the same thing with Francis Uzoho.
To a lesser extent, Uzoho got ****s attention starting for Deportivo. But we gotta give credit where due, same chances were taken by local coaches with Vince Enyeama that also worked out.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:07 am
Dammy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:52 am Okoye is on the verge of becoming the 2nd Nigerian goalkeeper in the EPL, but some people with agenda are still referring to him as an obscure 3rd division goalkeeper rather than give credit to the coach that nurtured him.
In my view, the Okoye example makes it clear that talent does not solely reside in the Premier league or the top divisions of Europe all elsewhere. Our Managers need to think expansively in seeking for talents.
Slight caveat…Only if it’s a position where we are struggling for top flight options…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

But that was what he was when **** gave him the opportunity.

Yes, Onigbinde gave Enyeama the same opportunity but if you will recall some people with self-hate alleged that Onigbinde was taking money to field players.

The same people are quiet today.

Ps. Enyeama deserved the callup as his team which he played a role in, won the Naijarian league.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:04 am
But that was what he was when **** gave him the opportunity.

Yes, Onigbinde gave Enyeama the same opportunity but if you will recall some people with self-hate alleged that Onigbinde was taking money to field players.

The same people are quiet today.

Ps. Enyeama deserved the callup as his team which he played a role in, won the Naijarian league.

What has that got to do with your specific allegation wrt Okoye?

Based on potential Okoye got a call up at a time we were extremely short on GK options following Enyeama's retirement and illness of his replacement.

There was a very specific allegation here regarding Pa Oni by the London CEs...

Peeps like u often ride shotgun for those you know very well are on the dole...

You should stop it!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:36 am

please tell me which local coach brought some "hey you" to SE who turned out to be a player that ended up at a big club in Europe.

You also forget that goalkeeper was a position we lacked good options in. Its not like Rohr picked an obscure player to play midfield or striker.

Again you are comparing apples to oranges to suit your agenda.
OMG look at the poor reasoning from a washed-out reporter. So it's Ok for Rohr because his player ended up in a big club in Europe. That means you're Ok with that if he gets the player in a big club in Europe. FYI, Watford is not a big club in Europe
Last edited by highbury on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.