Dont let Rohr kill SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Dont let Rohr kill SE

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:56 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:48 pm
mcal wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:36 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:49 am
Otitokoro wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm Prof:
How anyone can equate Rohr's removal, which led to immediate disastrous results on ALL levels, to being a 'good decision' is not only befuddling, but really sad.
It will be a shock if any coach worth his salt will want to be associated with the mess of a country called Nigeria along with its misguided and delusional fans.
Good luck.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 pm It was a good decision to dismiss Gernot Rohr. We move. There are other managers capable of restoring Nigeria to the pinnacle of African soccer glory. Rohr was given the opportunity for 5 yeasrs. He tried and was renewed and then declined and was dismissed. We move to the next chapter.
Otitokoro,

Rohr's sack, if you recall, is not based on the current result except if you are claiming that we are some major Seers or have some Spiritual Powers as NFF top officials. Let me remind you that Rohr's sack was strictly based on the string of poor results that the tesam achieved under Gernot Rohr. In my view, those results earned him a deserved sack. I spill no tears nor do I feel an ounce of apologies or sumpathy for that. It was a decision duly taken.
...but none of those strings of poor result resulted in SE not qualifying for the 2 major tournaments.
I think he was fired because his side did not record strings of basketball-like goals against opponents.
To a typical Nigerian fan a 1-0 win is no win, what they want see/hear is buckets of goals.
Sure but the portend a trend that eventually led to elimination. You do not wait till elimination when a trend is established. Do you? You act on it. Unfortunately, Nigeria's action did not bear fruit but both Ghana acted on a trend and it bore results. Do not forget they had a trend at the AFCON and acted to forestall a looming danger at the WCQ and see what happened. You simply need to act. Sitting in your hands and doing nothing will not rescue you.

As is often the case with you, you shift the parameters and then argue with yourself!

The trend led to qualification, not elimination.

Secondly, comparing to Ghana is misplaced. Ghana ALSO had a string of poor performances/results leading up to AFCON, but never fired the manager until after the tournament as Nigeria did.

Third, Nigeria was in a much better place than Ghana leading up to AFCON, with a settled squad, good team spirit, etc. Ghana did not have that...

Every single outcome from our decision led to a disastrous outcome.

The Ghana analogy is misplaced and part of your usual MO in deflecting...
I think the comparison is adept. You seem to be limited in ability to compare things. Perhaps, let me make it clear. 1. Nigeria was showing a clear rot under Rohr and the trigger was pulled. In Ghana's case, Ghana pulled the rug two times when two coaches showed similar problems. One was at the qualifiers, they pulled the rug. Then the replacement did poorly at the AFCON. Ghana pulled the plug again. 2. Egu failed to rescue Nigeria from its rot and decline and the plug was duly pulled. There is no basis to argue that team under Rohr that was flailing under poorer opponents would have done better under Rohr. No basis but speculation.

Hopefully, you can see a comparison. Not that one can count on it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:35 pm
How anyone can equate Rohr's removal, which led to immediate disastrous results on ALL levels, to being a 'good decision' is not only befuddling, but really sad.
It will be a shock if any coach worth his salt will want to be associated with the mess of a country called Nigeria along with its misguided and delusional fans.
Good luck.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 pm It was a good decision to dismiss Gernot Rohr. We move. There are other managers capable of restoring Nigeria to the pinnacle of African soccer glory. Rohr was given the opportunity for 5 yeasrs. He tried and was renewed and then declined and was dismissed. We move to the next chapter.
Otitokoro,

Rohr's sack, if you recall, is not based on the current result except if you are claiming that we are some major Seers or have some Spiritual Powers as NFF top officials. Let me remind you that Rohr's sack was strictly based on the string of poor results that the tesam achieved under Gernot Rohr. In my view, those results earned him a deserved sack. I spill no tears nor do I feel an ounce of apologies or sumpathy for that. It was a decision duly taken.
...but none of those strings of poor result resulted in SE not qualifying for the 2 major tournaments.
I think he was fired because his side did not record strings of basketball-like goals against opponents.
To a typical Nigerian fan a 1-0 win is no win, what they want see/hear is buckets of goals.
Sure but the portend a trend that eventually led to elimination. You do not wait till elimination when a trend is established. Do you? You act on it. Unfortunately, Nigeria's action did not bear fruit but both Ghana acted on a trend and it bore results. Do not forget they had a trend at the AFCON and acted to forestall a looming danger at the WCQ and see what happened. You simply need to act. Sitting in your hands and doing nothing will not rescue you.

As is often the case with you, you shift the parameters and then argue with yourself!

Secondly, comparing to Ghana is misplaced. Ghana ALSO had a string of poor performances/results leading up to AFCON, but never fired the manager until after the tournament as Nigeria did.

Third, Nigeria was in a much better place than Ghana leading up to AFCON, with a settled squad, good team spirit, etc. Ghana did not have that...

I think the comparison is adept. You seem to be limited in ability to compare things. Perhaps, let me make it clear. 1. Nigeria was showing a clear rot under Rohr and the trigger was pulled. In Ghana's case, Ghana pulled the rug two times when two coaches showed similar problems. One was at the qualifiers, they pulled the rug. Then the replacement did poorly at the AFCON. Ghana pulled the plug again. 2. Egu failed to rescue Nigeria from its rot and decline and the plug was duly pulled. There is no basis to argue that team under Rohr that was flailing under poorer opponents would have done better under Rohr. No basis but speculation.

The difference again is TIMING and CONTEXT.
Go and look again at both decisions and when they were executed.

Your conclusions on future performance is exactly based on clairvoyance that you argued against, in otherwords, contradicting yourself on the very same page!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Good luck.
Otitokoro,

...thank you there, because I don't know how to argue with the prof, else we will be beating about the bush.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

txj wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:34 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:35 pm
Good luck.
Otitokoro,

The difference again is TIMING and CONTEXT.
Go and look again at both decisions and when they were executed.

Your conclusions on future performance is exactly based on clairvoyance that you argued against, in otherwords, contradicting yourself on the very same page!
There are 5 stages of grief:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

Enugu II and many others like him are in the Denial stage of grief. Unfortunately, not everyone moves on from this stage. It takes humility, honesty and self introspection to accept your personal role in the creation of a tragedy.

The team under Rohr was on a qualification path. Qualified top of their WC group. Qualified for the AFC. Yes there were some poor results, but the world wide pandemic ruined the preparation plans of many teams. How many Friendlies did we play before those qualifying games? Was Nigeria the only team that produced poor results? No. The trend of poor games he was referring to is a pathetic excuse because trend or not, Results ultimately matter. And the results of firing Rohr speak for themselves.

They said, "We have to fire Rohr now to prevent a disaster". Predictably, firing Rohr lead to the very disaster they claimed to want to prevent. Immediate disaster at the AFC. Ultimate disaster at the WC. All leading from another stupendous decision to fire a coach achieving his objectives, at the worst possible time. Many of us warned this was exactly what was going to happen. We were ignored because righteous rage always trumps calls for patience and analysis. The mob won out, and we are all worse off because of it.

But the thing that really hurts me about people like Enugu II in particular, is that for a University professor, he doesn't know his history. We have been down this very road before many times, and each time it lead to disaster. Enugu II should have known better. The fact he is here trying to justify his mistake and claiming to want to move on is proof his will only make the same mistake again.

And then we wonder why Nigeria as a country is stuck in neutral. Even our supposed "learned" are relatively clueless.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it