Rohr appears oblivious to the limitations of his Onyibo Wall

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Rohr appears oblivious to the limitations of his Onyibo Wall

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) Gernot Rohr thinks he has a final team. We can all tell him he does not have one
(2) In central defence he insists on only using Balogun and Ekong, even for friendlies and dead rubber games
(3) By the time he realises his mistake it will be too late to make amends
(4) The Lesotho game showed the limitations of centrebacks who cannot bring the ball out of defence
(5) Because Lesotho stayed back, man-marking, Balogun and Ekong needed to bring the ball out of defence. They are not comfortable enough on the ball to do this and did not
(6) Against a team that plays us with a high press, Ekong and Balogun will be found out big time
(7) They will end up either gifting the opposition goals or just hoofing the ball upfield when pressurised with the high press
(8) At the highest level, you need centrebacks who are very comfortable on the ball and Ekong in particular is woeful in this regard. He cannot distribute the ball to save his life
(9) For me, the two centrebacks most comfortable on the ball are Adarabioyo and Awaziem. They show it week in week out with Fulham and Boavista. However, Rohr will not play Awaziem and has not done enough to woo Adarabioyo
(10) Come the Nations Cup, we will get found out with the inability of our centrebacks to play the ball out of defence. Because Rohr has not tried anyone else, it will be too late to make any changes. By now, Adarabioyo, Awaziem, Ajayi and Akpoguma should all have been tried out in different pairings
Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: Rohr appears oblivious to the limitations of his Onyibo

Post by Robotnik »

Yeah I am afraid when we meet a real attacking team this backline will not be able to cope.

It's only Benin and Lesotho we played.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I wish the likes of Jordan torunarigha can switch before the world cup... Maybe we have to try a Awaziem/Balogun pairing? Balogun isn't fast but he has the positional awareness, poise and calmly assuring intelligence while Awaziem is an all round capable and intelligent defender with decent pace to boot. But Rohr is too loyal to a fault, he will always stick with his "Oyinbo wall" except circumstances beyond his control forces his hand.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Gernot Rohr thinks he has a final team. We can all tell him he does not have one
(2) In central defence he insists on only using Balogun and Ekong, even for friendlies and dead rubber games
(4) The Lesotho game showed the limitations of centrebacks who cannot bring the ball out of defence
(5) Because Lesotho stayed back, man-marking, Balogun and Ekong needed to bring the ball out of defence. They are not comfortable enough on the ball to do this and did not
(6) Against a team that plays us with a high press, Ekong and Balogun will be found out big time
(7) They will end up either gifting the opposition goals or just hoofing the ball upfield when pressurised with the high press
(8) At the highest level, you need centrebacks who are very comfortable on the ball and Ekong in particular is woeful in this regard. He cannot distribute the ball to save his life
(9) For me, the two centrebacks most comfortable on the ball are Adarabioyo and Awaziem. They show it week in week out with Fulham and Boavista. However, Rohr will not play Awaziem and has not done enough to woo Adarabioyo
(10) Come the Nations Cup, we will get found out with the inability of our centrebacks to play the ball out of defence. Because Rohr has not tried anyone else, it will be too late to make any changes. By now, Adarabioyo, Awaziem, Ajayi and Akpoguma should all have been tried out in different pairings
Looks like Ekong's captaincy has clogged Rohr's eyes. He seems incapable of benching him when it is obvious for everybody to see. Ajayi is not better off either.
Awaziem is solid in that position, but don't know why Rohr insists on playing him in the right back position.
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Abbey wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Gernot Rohr thinks he has a final team. We can all tell him he does not have one
Looks like Ekong's captaincy has clogged Rohr's eyes. He seems incapable of benching him when it is obvious for everybody to see. Ajayi is not better off either.
Awaziem is solid in that position, but don't know why Rohr insists on playing him in the right back position.

Ekongs vice captaincy has clouded his eyes the same way Musa captaincy has clouded them.

He should do us all a favor and make Ndidi captain.

And why is Balogun not vice, he has been with SE longer.

Balogun for me is still our best defender even though he isn't the fastest, but we need to start planning beyond him.

Troost at this point shouldn't even be assured of a squad position let alone a starting shirt.

I used to think Ajayi was the answer but I can't get over his shockingly poor performance against Sierra Leone.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ajayi wasn't the only one that made mistakes against Sierra Leone. Players make mistakes and then rebounded to play well for his club West Brom. Rohr then decides to list Ajayi as a midfielder for Nigeria.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Just imagine Ekong and Balogun playing against a fast forward line made up of say Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardie and Marcus Rashford. On the counter-attack, how would they cope if running back from the halfway line?

This Onyibo Wall is what will cost us the Nations Cup because I do not see how they can for instance contain say Saeed Benrahma and Zviad Mahrez. All teams have to do is sit back and hit us on the counter-attack!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Balogun and Ekong didn't do badly, they actually played the ball out well from the back, at a time, it looked like they were playing in the midfield. The problem is when we play quality oppositions and by quality teams I am not even referring to teams like England, Argentina and Belgium but teams like Algeria, Tunisia and Senegal. Our defence struggles big time when playing these teams thats why we have lost twice to Algeria in the space of a year and were out played by Tunisia in the recent friendly.
1.We need defenders and goal keepers that can play the ball out from the back.
2. We need to get rid of Musa because we play defensive and counter football against these teams. We all know Musa is notorious when it comes to loosing possession and breaking down promising counter attacks.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Oyinbo wall, another created myth.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Just imagine Ekong and Balogun playing against a fast forward line made up of say Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardie and Marcus Rashford. On the counter-attack, how would they cope if running back from the halfway line?

This Onyibo Wall is what will cost us the Nations Cup because I do not see how they can for instance contain say Saeed Benrahma and Zviad Mahrez. All teams have to do is sit back and hit us on the counter-attack!
Will those teams cope with an attacking foray led by Osimhen, Lookman, Iwobi, Ejaria/Olise, Samuel Kalu, Chukwueze?
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

gochino wrote:Balogun and Ekong didn't do badly, they actually played the ball out well from the back, at a time, it looked like they were playing in the midfield. The problem is when we play quality oppositions and by quality teams I am not even referring to teams like England, Argentina and Belgium but teams like Algeria, Tunisia and Senegal. Our defence struggles big time when playing these teams thats why we have lost twice to Algeria in the space of a year and were out played by Tunisia in the recent friendly.
2. We need to get rid of Musa because we play defensive and counter football against these teams. We all know Musa is notorious when it comes to loosing possession and breaking down promising counter attacks.
How many goals have Algeria, Tunisia and Senegal scored against us when those two were playing?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Lolly wrote:
gochino wrote:Balogun and Ekong didn't do badly, they actually played the ball out well from the back, at a time, it looked like they were playing in the midfield. The problem is when we play quality oppositions and by quality teams I am not even referring to teams like England, Argentina and Belgium but teams like Algeria, Tunisia and Senegal. Our defence struggles big time when playing these teams thats why we have lost twice to Algeria in the space of a year and were out played by Tunisia in the recent friendly.
How many goals have Algeria, Tunisia and Senegal scored against us when those two were playing?
So till dem score four before you begin dey worry?
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Lolly wrote:
:rotf:
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Well..walls don't move. So maybe not a myth
fabio wrote:Oyinbo wall, another created myth.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Typical relaxed attitude showed on this thread by some forumers and Nigeria leaders. It is only a problem when they are embarrassed by foreign media. We have to learn how to address problems proactively. Our defense is an impending disaster.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Why use question to answer my question? You are the one claiming that our defence struggles big time when playing these teams. Show us the proof nau. That is the simple question I asked.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Just imagine Ekong and Balogun playing against a fast forward line made up of say Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardie and Marcus Rashford. On the counter-attack, how would they cope if running back from the halfway line?

Nigeria unfortunately plays down to the competition.
Against tougher competition we go up our Ante. Our level of play will be much better.
We have a very talented group of players at this time
No team Worldwide have ever outplayed us. The problem is we create chances but fail to score or make the right subs.
However Rohr should have tried other players for Ekong and Balogun.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

It is very surprising to hear some of the suggestions put forward on this forum. The strangest yet is that we should drop Balogun who has just won the Scottish league and will play in the champions league next season for a guy whose current club is rock bottom in the Portuguese league. Balogun was bringing the ball out from the back in both games especially in the second half unless my eyes were playing tricks. In terms of center half position once he has match fitness he is the best out of all our options. This issue for me is who should partner him. Sanusi at left back is settled, Ebuehi or Ania at right back Balogun centre half who partners him? Seyi is not good enough the bobo playing in the Portuguese league the less said the better, The bobo playing in a mid-table team in Spain is playing a very low level not good enough for the national team. The only other option would be Kevin who was out injured.’All other names touted have not declared for Nigeria and it is annoying to see them listed as Super Eagle players ; I can understand if they had declared but paper work was being processed but this is not the case with Tosin, Eze or Lukemon.

Omeruo is currently playing for his second division team and losing .........
Game over Omeruo’s lost and he almost gave away a pen in the second. How can anyone want to replace a Champions league bound player for a journey man centre back (Awazien) who successful contributed to his team coming last in the Portuguese league!!!!
Last edited by Flex Swift on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Flex Swift wrote:It is very surprising to hear some of the suggestions put forward on this forum. The strangest yet is that we should drop Balogun who has just won the Scottish league and will play in the champions league next season for a guy whose current club is rock bottom in the Portuguese league. Balogun was bringing the ball out from the back in both games especially in the second half unless my eyes were playing tricks. In terms of center half position once he has match fitness he is the best out of all our options. This issue for me is who should partner him. Sanusi at left back is settled, Ebuehi or Ania at right back Balogun centre half who partners him? Seyi is not good enough the bobo playing in the Portuguese league the less said the better, The bobo playing in a mid-table team in Spain is playing a very low level not good enough for the national team. The only other option would be Kevin who was out injured.’All other names touted have not declared for Nigeria and it is annoying to see them listed as Super Eagle players ; I can understand if they had declared but paper work was being processed but this is not the case with Tosin, Eze or Lukemon.

Typical African lack of foresight. We wait for the catastrophe to strike before reacting, whereas the European will react to prevent the catastrophe.

Balogun will struggle for pace against teams that sit back, soak up pressure and hit us on the counter-attack. What will you do when Balogun is shown a clean part of heels on the race back from the halfway line?

Looking at the way Raheem Sterling was running at Poland yesterday should be an eye opener to anyone. I have watched most of the European World Cup qualifiers and can see where we are well short of the teams that will be in Qatar to actually compete for the trophy.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Unfortunately, Rohr is still playing the 2018 World Cup at the moment. If we are serious about actually competing for the 2022 World Cup rather than just participating in it, we need a line-up that caters for every eventuality.

Our best 11 would be:

************************Osimhen*************************

************Lookman****************Kalu****************

****************************Ebere*************************

*************Aribo*****************Ndidi******************

***Sanusi****Adarabioyo*****Awaziem****Ebuehi****

*****************************Okoye***************************

Subs:
Francis Uzoho
Matthew Yakubu
Ola Aina
Calvin Bassey
Felix Akpoguma
Leon Balogun
Oghene Etebo
Alhassan Yusuf
Alex Iwobi
Paul Onuachu
Samuel Chukwueze
Kelechi Iheanacho
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Unfortunately, Rohr is still playing the 2018 World Cup at the moment. If we are serious about actually competing for the 2022 World Cup rather than just participating in it, we need a line-up that caters for every eventuality.

Our best 11 would be:

Subs:
Francis Uzoho
Matthew Yakubu
Ola Aina
Calvin Bassey
Felix Akpoguma
Leon Balogun
Oghene Etebo
Alhassan Yusuf
Alex Iwobi
Paul Onuachu
Samuel Chukwueze
Kelechi Iheanacho
With all respect you can’t use the word seriously whilst mentioning non available players and even replacing actual current players,you can’t seriously plan around what you don’t have access to.In order to improve you work with what you have at your disposal.Fantasy isn’t a gauge!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Unfortunately, Rohr is still playing the 2018 World Cup at the moment. If we are serious about actually competing for the 2022 World Cup rather than just participating in it, we need a line-up that caters for every eventuality.

Our best 11 would be:

Subs:
Francis Uzoho
Matthew Yakubu
Ola Aina
Calvin Bassey
Felix Akpoguma
Leon Balogun
Oghene Etebo
Alhassan Yusuf
Alex Iwobi
Paul Onuachu
Samuel Chukwueze
Kelechi Iheanacho
With all respect you can’t use the word seriously whilst mentioning non available players and even replacing actual current players,you can’t seriously plan around what you don’t have access to.In order to improve you work with what you have at your disposal.Fantasy isn’t a gauge!

Unlike you, I set myself goals and then make sure I achieve them. Were I in Pinnick and Rohr’s shoes, I would get those players whatever it takes. No excuses!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:It is very surprising to hear some of the suggestions put forward on this forum. The strangest yet is that we should drop Balogun who has just won the Scottish league and will play in the champions league next season for a guy whose current club is rock bottom in the Portuguese league. Balogun was bringing the ball out from the back in both games especially in the second half unless my eyes were playing tricks. In terms of center half position once he has match fitness he is the best out of all our options. This issue for me is who should partner him. Sanusi at left back is settled, Ebuehi or Ania at right back Balogun centre half who partners him? Seyi is not good enough the bobo playing in the Portuguese league the less said the better, The bobo playing in a mid-table team in Spain is playing a very low level not good enough for the national team. The only other option would be Kevin who was out injured.’All other names touted have not declared for Nigeria and it is annoying to see them listed as Super Eagle players ; I can understand if they had declared but paper work was being processed but this is not the case with Tosin, Eze or Lukemon.

Typical African lack of foresight. We wait for the catastrophe to strike before reacting, whereas the European will react to prevent the catastrophe.

Balogun will struggle for pace against teams that sit back, soak up pressure and hit us on the counter-attack. What will you do when Balogun is shown a clean part of heels on the race back from the halfway line?

Looking at the way Raheem Sterling was running at Poland yesterday should be an eye opener to anyone. I have watched most of the European World Cup qualifiers and can see where we are well short of the teams that will be in Qatar to actually compete for the trophy.
Balogun will struggle with pace blah blah blah...
Place tell us exactly which game Balogun struggled with pace?
FYI, Balogun is preferred to Swedish international, Flip Helander , at Glasgow Rangers because of his pace.
It's a myth that Balogun doesn't have pace, fans of Glasgow Rangers will strongly disagree with that assertion.
I am happy