Super Eagles - What Is The Road To Genuine Greatness?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Super Eagles - What Is The Road To Genuine Greatness?

Post by Damunk »

Much has been said in love and anger about our beloved team.
We are fans with extreme emotions and it is to be expected.

But now we have qualified for AFCON, I think we need to take a cold, hard and honest look and do a SWOT analysis of our individual players, our SE team as a whole, our coach and our governing body the NFF.

For perspective, we need to do it with a SPECIFIC goal in mind.
For me it is to meet an expectation of a World Cup S/F next year and an AFCON gold before that.

Who can get us there?
Who can meet the challenges and who can't hack it at that level?
Who is on an upward trajectory, who has plateaued and who is on a downward spiral?

What are the realistic options we have and what do we have to do to make the SE a credible threat on the world stage?

Foreign and local sentiments side, all loyalties shelved, WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET THERE?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Super Eagles - What Is The Road To Genuine Greatness?

Post by nanijoe »

FIRE ROHR....

You can't achieve anything until you believe you can
Damunk wrote:Much has been said in love and anger about our beloved team.

But now we have qualified for AFCON, I think we need to take a cold, hard and honest look and do a SWOT analysis of our individual players, our SE team as a whole, our coach and our governing body the NFF.

For me it is to meet an expectation of a World Cup S/F next year and an AFCON gold before that.

Who can get us there?
Who is on an upward trajectory, who has plateaued and who is on a downward spiral?

What are the realistic options we have and what do we have to do to make the SE a credible threat on the world stage?

Foreign and local sentiments side, all loyalties shelved, WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET THERE?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

And thats it and all will be well?
What next?
nanijoe wrote:FIRE ROHR....

Who can get us there?

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

We've been rebuilding for 5 years now, and we still do not have a pattern or style of play. We struggled to defeat Benin by scoring in min 93.. We struggle to keep cleansheets vs incompetent teams. We lead by 4 goals and the team collapsed during the 2nd half. What rebuilding was applied towards moral and team focus.

We celebrate defeating trash teams like freaking LESOfreakingTO . We do not have capable replacements for quality center backs. The team wins due to individual brilliance and zero tactical input. We can huff and puff with trash teams during qualifiers, but come tournament days , we choke vs the heavy weights in African football. Some fans do get delusional after putting lipstick on a pig alas Benin , Salone and lesotho

We are better off with a new way forward
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:We've been rebuilding for 5 years now, and we still do not have a pattern or style of play. We struggled to defeat Benin by scoring in min 93.. We struggle to keep cleansheets vs incompetent teams. We lead by 4 goals and the team collapsed during the 2nd half. What rebuilding was applied towards moral and team focus.

We celebrate defeating trash teams like freaking LESOfreakingTO . We do not have capable replacements for quality center backs. The team wins due to individual brilliance and zero tactical input. We can huff and puff with trash teams during qualifiers, but come tournament days , we choke vs the heavy weights in African football. Some fans do get delusional after putting lipstick on a pig alas Benin , Salone and lesotho

And what new way forward do you propose?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tobi17 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:We've been rebuilding for 5 years now, and we still do not have a pattern or style of play. We struggled to defeat Benin by scoring in min 93.. We struggle to keep cleansheets vs incompetent teams. We lead by 4 goals and the team collapsed during the 2nd half. What rebuilding was applied towards moral and team focus.

And what new way forward do you propose?
Changing the current coach
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

So let's look at charting "a new way forward" as you suggest.
What are the things that need to be done, how and with whom?

A SWOT analysis would help if you don't mind.
For real. No sentiment.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Obviously hire a Coach who thinks we can get to the World Cup SF, and accepts it as a reasonable goal. That coach would probably need a few "Papendal style" camps between now and the ANC/WC , and would need to play a few top teams in friendlies along the way as a way of realistically measuring the talent on hand.

While I have nothing against Rohr personally, it is evident that he sets the bar very low as far as what the SE can achieve
Damunk wrote:And thats it?
What next?

Who can get us there?

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

nanijoe wrote:Obviously hire a Coach who thinks we can get to the World Cup SF, and accepts it as a reasonable goal. That coach would probably need a few "Papendal style" camps between now and the ANC/WC , and would need to play a few top teams in friendlies along the way as a way of realistically measuring the talent on hand.

While I have nothing against Rohr personally, it is evident that he sets the bar very low as far as what the SE can achieve
What next?

Who can get us there?

Can you list these world class coaches available to take Nigeria at short notice to the world cup SF?
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Can you list the ones that are not?
Tobi17 wrote:
nanijoe wrote:Obviously hire a Coach who thinks we can get to the World Cup SF, and accepts it as a reasonable goal. That coach would probably need a few "Papendal style" camps between now and the ANC/WC , and would need to play a few top teams in friendlies along the way as a way of realistically measuring the talent on hand.

What next?

Who can get us there?

Can you list these world class coaches available to take Nigeria at short notice to the world cup SF?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Who can get us there?

Oya, what's your answer?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rohr has to create a team with a positive "We can win" mindset, not the current often-conservative mindset. The former does not mean that you cannot be good defensively. He should also work on creating a team that can press effectively
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

aruako1 wrote:Rohr has to create a team with a positive "We can win" mindset, not the current often-conservative mindset. The former does not mean that you cannot be good defensively. He should also work on creating a team that can press effectively
He doesn't need to create the team, he already has the team. All he needs to do is to create the mentality cause this present generation of players have all the talents necessary to win a major trophy (AFCON gold), we can't waste a budding team like this on the altar of conservatism.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:Rohr has to create a team with a positive "We can win" mindset, not the current often-conservative mindset. The former does not mean that you cannot be good defensively. He should also work on creating a team that can press effectively
He doesn't need to create the team, he already has the team. All he needs to do is to create the mentality cause this present generation of players have all the talents necessary to win a major trophy (AFCON gold), we can't waste a budding team like this on the altar of conservatism.
I think we mean the same thing. He has the players, but not the team.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

I like the idea of a SWOT analysis. That certainly will make things more vivid about the team. It will also force us to think more deeply and perhaps honestly about the team and players.

Who can get us there?

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:Damunk,

I like the idea of a SWOT analysis. That certainly will make things more vivid about the team. It will also force us to think more deeply and perhaps honestly about the team and players.

Who can get us there?

Prof, it seems nobody wants to go that route.
Each player, the team, the coach and the NFF can all be SWOTed, but they're all more interested in making sentimental statements and scoring cheap points.
Izzokay.... :D
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote:

Who can get us there?

Each player, the team, the coach and the NFF can all be SWOTed, but they're all more interested in making sentimental statements and scoring cheap points.
Strengths

1. Competition for places
2. Correct blend of youth and experience
3. Stability (same manager since 2016)
4. Decent WLD record
5. Great attacking options
6. Relatively united camp

Weaknesses

1. Inconsistency (after over 5 years and 2 major tournaments we should be more consistent)
2. Midfield - creativity in midfield has been erratic
3. Central defenders - while Eling and Balogun are probably good squad players, they do not always inspire confidence
4. The sometimes over cautious approach of the manager

Opportunities

1. Integration of quality naturalised players
2. Establishment of a strong no 1 (Maduka)
3. The use of home based players where suitable

Threats

1. Poor defensive performances in recent games might cost us
2. Inability to play enough friendlies before the world cup
3. Reluctance to try new players
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Strengths - Players
Weaknesses - Coach
Opps - Can improve dramatically by getting better coach
Threats - WOWOs inside and outside NFF celebrating mediocrity
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Aruako,

Great start. I added my views in red.
aruako1 wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Who can get us there?

Strengths

1. Competition for places
2. Correct blend of youth and experience
3. Stability (same manager since 2016)
4. Decent WLD record
5. Great attacking options
6. Relatively united camp

Weaknesses

1. Inconsistency (after over 5 years and 2 major tournaments we should be more consistent)
2. Midfield - creativity in midfield has been erratic
3. Central defenders - while Eling and Balogun are probably good squad players, they do not always inspire confidence
4. The sometimes over cautious approach of the manager
5. Lack of trophy

Opportunities

1. Integration of quality naturalised players
2. Establishment of a strong no 1 (Maduka)
3. The use of home based players where suitable
4. With quality players, opportunity to be more adventurous in play.

Threats

1. Poor defensive performances in recent games might cost us
2. Inability to play enough friendlies before the world cup
3. Reluctance to try new players
4. Player compensation/bonuses delayed
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Here's my SE TEAM SWOT

Strengths
1. Good depth to central and wide attacking options with minimal drop in quality
2. Full back/wing back options, minimal drop in quality
3. Young upwardly mobile goalkeepers a medium to long term strength,
4. Young squad in general, some with high likelihood of entering elite teams of Europe
5. Loyalty to one another and to coach responsible for capping bulk of team and having grown together
6. Genuine inter-personal friendships: Chukwueze & Osimhen; Aina & Iwobi; Abdullahi & Musa; Ekong & Balogun; Ndidi & Nacho.

Weaknesses
1. Team lacks creative midfield
2. 'Oyibo wall' the weakest link
3. Young keepers a short term weakness
4. Poor appreciation of and adaptation to the 'African game' by many of the FB players
5. Coach too conservative for the 'Nigerian game', hence attracting negativity towards the team and possibly undermining confidence
6. The NFF - Needs to up its game on all levels including PR. All 'minor' decisions have MAJOR implications for team moral and performance eg stadium choice, playing surfaces, transport, hotels

Opportunities
1. Potentially the new 'golden generation' by winning the next AFCON and surpassing WC Rd 2
2. By doing so, could make it a much easier choice for top Nigerian talent worldwide to opt to play for Nigeria
3. Probably already the top brand in Africa, they could attract major multi-million dollar sponsors if they get it right on the field
4. Could once again build a world-wide fan base and build on the already prominent profile of Nigeria's young music and film stars (Did anyone see the breathless young girls almost fainting after watching the SE players live in Lagos for the first time?)
5. Possibility of attracting a world-class coach to take us to 'the next level' despite the country's shortcomings.

Threats
1. The usual Nigerian habit of changing for change's sake i.e. our legendary '20/20 Vision'.
2. Refusal of coach to 'upgrade' players for misplaced loyalties
3. Losing the fans' support if felt to lack commitment etc
4. Foreign born vs local player debates become toxic with racial undertones
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk,

Not much to quarrel with your SWOT to be honest. My only gripes, after quick read (leaving it open for a second read LOL) is your #1 & #4 weaknesses. #1 is not really a weakness. The midfield, in my view, is not a huge problem at the moment. #4, I agree it is there at the start but I do believe these players eventually adapt. Think Iwobi and now both Ebuehi and Aribo. #4 Threat get as im be. I actually do not classify that as a threat but will rethink its wording as a weakness i.e. the uber focus on foreign-based weakens the team in the long run by limiting access to possibly useful talents.
Damunk wrote:Here's my SE TEAM SWOT

Strengths
1. Good depth to central and wide attacking options with minimal drop in quality
2. Full back/wing back options, minimal drop in quality
3. Young upwardly mobile goalkeepers a medium to long term strength,
4. Young squad in general, some with high likelihood of entering elite teams of Europe
5. Loyalty to one another and to coach responsible for capping bulk of team and having grown together
6. Genuine inter-personal friendships: Chukwueze & Osimhen; Aina & Iwobi; Abdullahi & Musa; Ekong & Balogun; Ndidi & Nacho.

Weaknesses
1. Team lacks creative midfield
2. 'Oyibo wall' the weakest link
3. Young keepers a short term weakness
4. Poor appreciation of and adaptation to the 'African game' by many of the FB players
5. Coach too conservative for the 'Nigerian game', hence attracting negativity towards the team and possibly undermining confidence
6. The NFF - Needs to up its game on all levels including PR. All 'minor' decisions have MAJOR implications for team moral and performance eg stadium choice, playing surfaces, transport, hotels

Opportunities
1. Potentially the new 'golden generation' by winning the next AFCON and surpassing WC Rd 2
2. By doing so, could make it a much easier choice for top Nigerian talent worldwide to opt to play for Nigeria
3. Probably already the top brand in Africa, they could attract major multi-million dollar sponsors if they get it right on the field
4. Could once again build a world-wide fan base and build on the already prominent profile of Nigeria's young music and film stars (Did anyone see the breathless young girls almost fainting after watching the SE players live in Lagos for the first time?)
5. Possibility of attracting a world-class coach to take us to 'the next level' despite the country's shortcomings.

Threats
1. The usual Nigerian habit of changing for change's sake i.e. our legendary '20/20 Vision'.
2. Refusal of coach to 'upgrade' players for misplaced loyalties
3. Losing the fans' support if felt to lack commitment etc
4. Foreign born vs local player debates become toxic with racial undertones
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Who can get us there?

We are already a great team. We are the currently the most dangerous team in Africa. We will win the nations cup to prove this. Mark my words...
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Have EFCC arrest him
Damunk wrote:And thats it and all will be well?
What next?

Who can get us there?

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?