2021 Nations Cup contenders

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
2021 Nations Cup contenders

Post by vancity eagle »

For me these are the top contenders for 2021 AFCON

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal
Nigeria
Ivory Coast

I will be surprised if one of these 5 do not win AFCON, to me these are the 5 best teams in Africa right now.

Algeria on current form is the best team in Africa.

The AFCON has never been won by the favourite for a very long time, so going by the precedent for over the past 20 years, Algeria will not win.

Tunisia, Egypt, and Ghana have an outside chance but I do not see it.

Mali will also be a very dangerous side who may properly introduce themselves as a powerhouse. Their young generation is ripe to make a statement.

Nigeria can win, but frankly our defence will be the key.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2021 Nations Cup contenders

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Winning the nation's cup would be nice but I don't think Nigeria is under pressure to win it but we must do well. Peaking at the right time is key to Winning Afcon. If we continue to improve we could very well win it. Right now there are 3 clearly better teams ahead.
OCCUPY NFF!!
kdk4christ
Egg
Egg

Post by kdk4christ »

When is AFCON 2021?
*JESUS LOVES YOU* More Than You Know

"When we die we leave behind us all that we have, and take with us all that we are."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

kdk4christ wrote:When is AFCON 2021?
In 2021. :tic:
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
In these pandemic times, it’s worth saying!
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

But fact is, there is no such thing as Afcon 2021. There is Afcon 2022 which magically might happen in 2022.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

vancity eagle wrote:For me these are the top contenders for 2021 AFCON

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal
Nigeria
Ivory Coast

I will be surprised if one of these 5 do not win AFCON, to me these are the 5 best teams in Africa right now.

The AFCON has never been won by the favourite for a very long time, so going by the precedent for over the past 20 years, Algeria will not win.

Mali will also be a very dangerous side who may properly introduce themselves as a powerhouse. Their young generation is ripe to make a statement.

For me these are the top contenders for 2021 AFCON

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal

Teams with very little outside chances are Cameroon, Nigeria, Egypt, CIV, and Ghana
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal
Nigeria
Ivory Coast

Only Nigeria and Algeria are credible contenders. And the only reason I am listing Algeria is because they are the current Champions. None of the other teams have proven they can win the tournament. There is a difference between a good team and a championship team. This Nigerian team is a bonafide Championship team. None of the team listed possesses our firepower. We will outscore all of them including Algeria.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Nigeria is always in contention to reach the semifinals. Winning title is another story. Algeria Senegal, and Ivory Coast are my contenders.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

waka-man wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
In these pandemic times, it’s worth saying!
AFCON 2021 is taking place between 9th Jan to 6th Feb 2022, and yes the official name of the Tournament is " the TOTAL Africa Cup of Nations Cameroon 2021" shortened AFCON 2021 not AFCON 2022.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I don’t rate Senegal. Aliou Cisse is not a very good coach. His teams are solid but he has issues with picking balanced midfields. His teams have a creativity problem

CIV has a lot of potential with players like Amad Diallo looking like ones that can make a difference. But guys like Kessie and Sangare in midfield are solid. It’s their attack that would concern me. I’d make the same case for Nigeria. Team has a lot of potential but for Nigeria it’s the defense that concerns me the most.

Algeria is a solid side. They play well together and collectively have shown they can be the best side in the continent. They may not have the the caliber of players some of the other top sides have but their coach has instilled solidity and belief in them. They are the top team going into the tourney.

Morocco has the best players and the ability to win but history is not on their side. I also don’t trust their coach who has an awful record with top tier African teams.

Don’t discount Egypt though. They may be able to pull some magic

And of course Cameroon being the host nation does have a chance at winning
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I am still not convinced of our attacking prowess when we meet good teams. But we will see.

Wha choo looking at?!
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

the up coming difficult rounds of world cup qualification will clear up the real contenders - many weak teams playing the top sides for nations cup qualification. and not enough yardstick to judge true current form of teams
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I dont have high expectations wrt Naija. Not with **** in charge.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal
Nigeria
Ivory Coast

Could you please enlighten us on why Ivory Coast is on your list. Wow, host not even considered? Now, please understand that the TEAM is different from simply adding up players.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote:

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal
Nigeria
Ivory Coast

Could you please enlighten us on why Ivory Coast is on your list. Wow, host not even considered? Now, please understand that the TEAM is different from simply adding up players.

Did you see CIV in the last ANC ?

They were the only team Algeria could not beat after 90 minutes, and played them pound for pound.

Their team has even improved since then, and yes they have plenty of fire power.

Underestimate them at your own peril. I pray Nigeria do not meet them in the WCQ playoffs.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

An African Allstar 23 man squad

Are these the best 23 players for the upcomming AFCON ?

GOALKEEPERS

Andre Onana (Cameroon)
Edourd Mendy (Senegal)
Yassine Bounou (Morocco)

DEFENDERS

Kalidou Koulibaly (Senegal)
Djamel Benlamri (Algeria)
Willy Boly (Ivory Coast)
Edmond Tapsoba (Burkina Faso)
Serge Aurier (Ivory Coast)
Achraf Hakimi (Morocco)
Zaidu Sanusi (Nigeria)
Remy Bensebaini (Algeria)

MIDFIELDERS

Idrissa Gueye (Senegal)
Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria)
Thomas Partey (Ghana)
Frank Kessie (Ivory Coast)
Ismael Bennacer (Algeria)
Farid Boulaya (Algeria)
Hikam Ziyech (Morocco)

FORWARDS

Sadio Mane (Senegal)
Riyad Mahrez (Algeria)
Mohammed Salah (Egypt)
Wilfred Zaha (Ivory Coast)
Victor Osimehn (Nigeria)
Pierre Aubemayang (Gabon)
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal
Nigeria
Ivory Coast

They were the only team Algeria could not beat after 90 minutes, and played them pound for pound.

Their team has even improved since then, and yes they have plenty of fire power.

Underestimate them at your own peril. I pray Nigeria do not meet them in the WCQ playoffs.
Ivory Coast were very unimpressive against Ethiopia
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If Ivory coast can peak at the right time. They have enough talent to win Afcon.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Algeria
Morocco
Senegal
Nigeria
Ivory Coast

Ivory Coast were very unimpressive against Ethiopia
they were, but I'm looking bigger picture.

They have yet to fully integrate the likes of

Jeremie Boga
Seko Fofana
Hamari Traore (Diallo's brother who plays for Sassuolo, an attacking midfielder)
Willy Singo (one of the best right backs in Serie A, only 21)
Sebastian Haller
Amad Diallo

They will be dangerous trust me.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ohenhen1 wrote:If Ivory coast can peak at the right time. They have enough talent to win Afcon.

Yes they do.

the frightening thing is that they are yet to play anywhere near their best 11 together at once. I wonder if the coach can figure out his best team by the time the AFCON begins.

They could line up like this

***********************************Gbohou*****************************************

Singo*********************Boly****************Bailly**************************Aurier

***************************Sangare**********Kessie*********************************

**********************************Fofana*******************************************

Zaha*************************************************************************Boga

***********************************Haller******************************************
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am hoping the Kenkey Bredas come good too. They are always my second team.