ROHR: No new invitee as World Cup Preparation Begins....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

DIMKA76
Egg
Egg
Re: ROHR: No new invitee as World Cup Preparation Begins....

Post by DIMKA76 »

...Could it be Lookman and Ejaria have both developed cold feet?
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

DIMKA76 wrote:...Could it be Lookman and Ejaria have both developed cold feet?
Cold feet for what? What other options do they have?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:...Could it be Lookman and Ejaria have both developed cold feet?
Cold feet for what? What other options do they have?
Option to wait longer and see what happens, then suddenly if nothing changes and we qualify for WC they will start buying feet warmers :mrgreen:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

We need more options in midfield. Wha we have is just not enough. Rohr needs to go find 2 more midfielders to complement Ndidi Etebo and Aribo....and no it shouldnt be Shehu Abdullahi.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ugbowo wrote:We need more options in midfield. Wha we have is just not enough. Rohr needs to go find 2 more midfielders to complement Ndidi Etebo and Aribo....and no it shouldnt be Shehu Abdullahi.

Uncle, find them from where? From under Ikoyi bridge where there are also 20 Kanus playing?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

1naija wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:We need more options in midfield. Wha we have is just not enough. Rohr needs to go find 2 more midfielders to complement Ndidi Etebo and Aribo....and no it shouldnt be Shehu Abdullahi.

Uncle, find them from where? From under Ikoyi bridge where there are also 20 Kanus playing?

there is no excuse for him to not have tried Obinna Nwobodo, he has better numbers than Etebo in the same league while playing for a worse team.

Yusuf Alhassan should have also been tried by now. Rohr messed up during that 2 match friendly window against Algeria and Tunisia. These players should have been tested, instead he continues with that wastepipe Shehu. I would rather he pick the top homebased midfielder than Shehu. Shehu has nothing to offer us, we dont need an auxilary right back anymore.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo,

If you are referring to midfielders with attacking talent, my feeling is that Rohr may not particularly like a lot of such players. His tendency to see defensive-focused midfielders is quite clear and it did not start with his stint in Nigeria. I wrote about this when he was about to take the Nigerian job. This tendency goes back to his stint at oyther places in Africa. At the time analysts claimed that it was because he had few talents available. Yet, this has continued during his time in Nigeria and surely midfielders with attacking talent is not a problem for Nigerian players.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote:
No new players to be invited for World Cup qualifiers’ – Super Eagles coach Rohr
Taiye Taiwo
@Tayo_taiwo
07:14 Apr 02, 2021
https://www.goal.com/en/news/super-eagl ... 277c9qp2lm

The German coach is looking forward to the upcoming World Cup qualifying fixtures after a successful Afcon qualifying campaign
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr said he is not expecting any new players in his team when the Super Eagles start their 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifying campaign in June,

The three-time African champions rounded up their qualification campaign for next year’s continental tournament with a 3-0 win at Teslim Balogun Stadium, thanks to strikes from Victor Osimhen, Oghenekaro Etebo and Paul Onuachu.
Next up is the second qualifying round for the biggest football competition in the world where they have been pitched against Cape Verde, Central African Republic and Liberia in Group C.
The Super Eagles ended their Afcon qualifiers with an unbeaten record after six matches and the former Gabon coach is hoping his team can continue the fine streak in two months' time.
“The World Cup qualifiers will start soon and I think we will be able to do well, and we should expect good football again on a good pitch,” Rohr told the media.
"We can’t try new players now, it is too late and it is getting more serious because it is World Cup qualifiers.

“The Afcon qualifiers is over and we need to get the same result like in the World Cup qualifiers. We need to continue doing our job – the officials.
“We thank Nigerians for their support even after the two draws (vs Sierra Leone). We had a lot of injuries and we saw three players in the first-leg in Benin City who went off in an ambulance – Osimhen, Balogun and Musa.
“The record of our results is very good and I know we are unbeaten in all our away games in the qualifiers. It is a nice one and we have to continue to always be the best but sometimes we cannot always win all matches.”
Enyimba's Anayo Iwuala was the only fresh face who played for the Super Eagles in the just-concluded international break while new invitees, goalkeeper John Noble and Abia Warriors' Adeleke Adekunle, were unused substitutes.

Despite not playing a competitive match since November 2020, Ahmed Musa was introduced as a late substitute against Lesotho on Tuesday.
Rohr defended his decision of selecting the former Leicester City man, who is currently seeking a new club as a free agent.
The 67-year-old said: “He has good fitness and there was no reason not to allow him come on to play for the team. He is the captain of the team and we want to help him find a good club now.”
I am surprised that no one said anything about Rohr using SE match to help a club less player find a new club! This was even with the colour pen used by Enugu II

Waiting for the usual suspects to comment.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I think a better interpretation is he won’t make wholesale changes. Of course he will try out new players if there is a compelling reason
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

deanotito wrote:I think a better interpretation is he won’t make wholesale changes. Of course he will try out new players if there is a compelling reason
You mean Rohr cannot speak English.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Oguleftie wrote:
deanotito wrote:I think a better interpretation is he won’t make wholesale changes. Of course he will try out new players if there is a compelling reason

Haven't you heard him speak?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Oguleftie wrote:
Not like a native speaker, no. He often struggles with word choices too.

“No new players” is not a realistic position for any coach. Injuries/emergence of new players etc make it an untenable position. If a previously unknown Nigerian Center Back shows up playing for Juventus, Rohr will invite him.

I just think the marginal players you hear a lot about...Maja, Nwakali, Simy...they’re a bit more unlikely. But you never know...get enough injuries to your starters and they’ll be invited.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet