ROHR: No new invitee as World Cup Preparation Begins....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROHR: No new invitee as World Cup Preparation Begins....

Post by Enugu II »

No new players to be invited for World Cup qualifiers’ – Super Eagles coach Rohr
Taiye Taiwo
@Tayo_taiwo
07:14 Apr 02, 2021
https://www.goal.com/en/news/super-eagl ... 277c9qp2lm

The German coach is looking forward to the upcoming World Cup qualifying fixtures after a successful Afcon qualifying campaign
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr said he is not expecting any new players in his team when the Super Eagles start their 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifying campaign in June,

The three-time African champions rounded up their qualification campaign for next year’s continental tournament with a 3-0 win at Teslim Balogun Stadium, thanks to strikes from Victor Osimhen, Oghenekaro Etebo and Paul Onuachu.
Next up is the second qualifying round for the biggest football competition in the world where they have been pitched against Cape Verde, Central African Republic and Liberia in Group C.
The Super Eagles ended their Afcon qualifiers with an unbeaten record after six matches and the former Gabon coach is hoping his team can continue the fine streak in two months' time.
“The World Cup qualifiers will start soon and I think we will be able to do well, and we should expect good football again on a good pitch,” Rohr told the media.
"We can’t try new players now, it is too late and it is getting more serious because it is World Cup qualifiers.

“The Afcon qualifiers is over and we need to get the same result like in the World Cup qualifiers. We need to continue doing our job – the officials.
“We thank Nigerians for their support even after the two draws (vs Sierra Leone). We had a lot of injuries and we saw three players in the first-leg in Benin City who went off in an ambulance – Osimhen, Balogun and Musa.
“The record of our results is very good and I know we are unbeaten in all our away games in the qualifiers. It is a nice one and we have to continue to always be the best but sometimes we cannot always win all matches.”
Enyimba's Anayo Iwuala was the only fresh face who played for the Super Eagles in the just-concluded international break while new invitees, goalkeeper John Noble and Abia Warriors' Adeleke Adekunle, were unused substitutes.

Despite not playing a competitive match since November 2020, Ahmed Musa was introduced as a late substitute against Lesotho on Tuesday.
Rohr defended his decision of selecting the former Leicester City man, who is currently seeking a new club as a free agent.
The 67-year-old said: “He has good fitness and there was no reason not to allow him come on to play for the team. He is the captain of the team and we want to help him find a good club now.”
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: ROHR: No new invitee as World Cup Preparation Begins....

Post by 1naija »

I agree. We have the best team we can get so far.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Its pretty stupid if Rohr literally means that no new players will be called up.

I mean I understand the general sentiment, that the core of the team is there and settled but to suggest an arbitrary policy of no new players, is frankly just as dumb as setting quotas for homebased players.

What about Lookman, Ejaria, Olise, and Sadiq Umar ?

If true this decision is even more ridiculous considering the continued call up of dead weights like Shehu abdullahi and a clubless Ahmed Musa.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

vancity eagle wrote:Its pretty stupid if Rohr literally means that no new players will be called up.

I mean I understand the general sentiment, that the core of the team is there and settled but to suggest an arbitrary policy of no new players, is frankly just as dumb as setting quotas for homebased players.

If true this decision is even more ridiculous considering the continued call up of dead weights like Shehu abdullahi and a clubless Ahmed Musa.
What would be the point calling the the June matches?
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

So Rohr is basically announcing his world cup squad should we qualify. Because I don't think he will allow any new player to displace the "loyal bunch" who prosecuted the qualifiers once a WC place is clinched. The classic case of "monkey work, baboon chop"
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

:roll:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Take anything **** says with a large bag of salt.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Whats the other option? Start the games with a whole new defense or attack? Besides, who's available thats cleared to play for SE that should be called?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:Its pretty stupid if Rohr literally means that no new players will be called up.

I agree with Rohr here, he doesn't want to unsettle the core and balance of the team by throwing in new players here and there especially in a very crucial world cup qualifier...those players are still in the long term player term and there will be enough friendly matches around the summer to blood them in. Besides with the way FIFA are delaying the switch process of Lookman and the rest, it's unlikely we will be seeing them don the GWG when the WC qualifiers start this June.

I agree with Rohr here, he doesn't want to unsettle the core and balance of the team by throwing in new players here and there especially in a very crucial world cup qualifier...those players are still in the long term player term and there will be enough friendly matches around the summer to blood them in. Besides with the way FIFA are delaying the switch process of Lookman and the rest, it's unlikely we will be seeing them don the GWG when the WC qualifiers start this June.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Tobi17 wrote:

It's FIFA delaying it? Why would they?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bret- hart wrote:Take anything **** says with a large bag of salt.
Duhhh :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

It's FIFA delaying it? Why would they?
Na dem sabi that one
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote:

The same FIFA that cleared Musiala in 2 months ?

The guy was still playing for England over a year into Ejarias switch.

What the heck is really going on ?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

The same FIFA that cleared Musiala in 2 months ?

The guy was still playing for England over a year into Ejarias switch.

What the heck is really going on ?
Yeah something doesn't add up, the whole switch for Lookman has taken roughly one year and counting and that's very unreasonable, for Ejaria I thought his switch process was complete and the only holding him back from been capped was passport related? at this point I don't even know it there's some truancy about the whole thing.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Rohr said Ahmed Musa would not play in the recent AFCON qualifiers, yet we know what happened.
I am happy
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

bushboy wrote:So Rohr is basically announcing his world cup squad should we qualify. Because I don't think he will allow any new player to displace the "loyal bunch" who prosecuted the qualifiers once a WC place is clinched. The classic case of "monkey work, baboon chop"
Obviously he is talking about the 2 games in June. No sane coach will bring in new players under such circumstances unless there is an obvious deficiency. What player could he possibly bring in now to make us much better for Liberia or Cape Verde?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Wasted his chance to test new players
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

His team isn't good enough to qualify for the World Cup! He is a very stupid coach if he doesn't think his team needs improvement!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

Rohr has figured out Niaja we have no love or respect for ourselves that is why we will hire a fifth class dinosaur who brings nothing to the table in terms of improving the quality of our football...let us see how far we have to regress before in typically Niaja style the acrimony and finger pointing starts...
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ohenhen1 wrote:Wasted his chance to test new players

When?
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

This move could prove counterproductive in more ways than one. Firstly, Naija might lose the chance to cap some very good potentials with dual nationalities. Secondly, Is Rohr saying he has the best players in the mix for every position available and isn't looking to strengthen positions of weaknesses?

Either way it is a rather premature statement to make when you factor things like injuries into the mix. Rohr is certainly an old fashioned coach unable to adapt to changing dynamics. What is even worse is he is also becoming very predictable in his thought process never a good thing when responding to emerging and changing situations or challenges.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Undertaker wrote:His team isn't good enough to qualify for the World Cup! He is a very stupid coach if he doesn't think his team needs improvement!
I no wan abuse am because he is old enough to be my dad, so I'll stop short of that. However, he has show a distinct lack of willingness to adapt and change.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!