The real weakness of the SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: The real weakness of the SE

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Our weakness is tactical, we have a very inept manager who lacks the basic intelligence to read or influence a game on the fly. We aren't going anywhere with this **** . We are yet to tactically outsmart any decent team since this **** has been coach of the SE. Coaches matter a lot and the SE are suffering from this
Seems your issue with Rohr is more personal!
Of course it is.
He won't contribute anything to the discussion apart from whinge from his desktop and pray every day that he is vindicated by wishing defeat on the SE via Rohr.
They're like emotional vampires, sucking the life out of other people's positivity.

Its only freaking football. Not the Black Plague or even the Brazilian covid pandemic for God's sake.
Quite sad really.
what you wrote is so false and probably your imagination . We have a very tactical inept manager. We are deficient when it comes to tactics. 11 players are picked and sent to match up against the opposition. I am confident if we dig down and research, the last WCQs were successful because S.Yusuf was part of the coaching crew . Since then we've been presenting choosing, and passing that as football
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote: I agree 100% with you on Iwobi and the number 10 role. He isn't skilled or productive enough on the front end to justify his turnovers and suboptimal work rate.

You want to add Etebo to Ndidi, fine, more engine power in the middle, but who will provide the accurate passes for your attacking fullbacks, who will control the tempo for us? Are the fullbacks going to reliably take the ball most of the full length of the field? We don't have fullbacks of that quality. They will need to be fed a constant diet of timely and accurate passes to be effective. Who has shown that they have the sense of timing, the tempo, and the passing range to do this?

I love Ndidi and Etebo to death but their turnover rate will be high, and the high turnover rate is not an indictment on them, but on the frequency of their touches on the ball. More touches, more turnovers, by simple statistics. Who will clean up after them, and also add cover for our marauding fullbacks? Did you see what Etebo's turnovers did to us against Argentina and Croatia? This concern is very, very vital because our center backs are not exactly quick to recover when they are placed on the back foot.

I also think you are somewhat discounting Aribo's value. I really liked the attacking (and defending) dimension he gave us against Brazil in the friendly. We need about 2 more players like him in the squad IMO.

Our play against top teams currently usually looks disjointed, with us reacting frantically and sporadically to their probing and attacking, being pushed around all over the field. Not good for the stomach or the heart. Me no likey.
What I’m trying to do is to get you to see that a central “creative” midfielder is not a necessity. And if you don’t have the players for it, it is useless to keep flogging it. The fact that everyone one CE is salivating over a 19-year french boy, playing in England’s 2nd tier, who has never publicly stated an interest in playing for Nigeria, and to the best of my knowledge has never been, shows how this obsession leads to a ridiculous form of insanity.

Our central midfield is best set up to 1. Be the first line of defence (literally allow us to become a back three when full backs bomb forward) 2. Win the ball 3. Make the simple forward pass that sets up our attack.
What you describe sounds a lot like France under Deschamps. Based on defensive solidity and pace on the flanks, but even they need a Pogba to bring it all together.
waka-man wrote:
I disagree on you judgement on our fullbacks. We have very good fullbacks. Zaidu is one his way to great things and Ebuehi is finally on his way back. My suggested understudy to both in Aina, who has all the talent but maybe needs some serious talking to. He’s not been helped by not having a settled club side, but he’s more than adequate as a back up. Zaidu and Ebuehi are both blessed with the engine to get up and down the field. I also think in such a system, Moses Simon gives you an interesting option in that position.
Ok. We can agree to disagree.
waka-man wrote:
Have I been harsh on Aribo? Perhaps. But I don’t see the ball-winner we need in that role.

As for Etebo, I think he’s been a victim of us trying to play the system you advocate. In the WC, he was our most advanced of a midfield three and that’s asking for trouble. He was far more effective in the ANC playing a deeper role but again, because he was being asked to link defence and offence, he was over-worked. And that’s where the trouble starts.
That's because he doesn't have the skillset of a #10. I agree he should play a deeper role, but we still need a metronome to bring it all together. Like I said even France under Deschamps, who it seems your vision of the SE is modeled after, still need someone like Pogba to dictate play.
waka-man wrote: I should say this: the one position that requires some through is who plays alongside Ndidi in that midfield. I’m not buying all this Ejaria, Eze, Olise hype. Even if there were ready (they aren’t), we need something more destructive to liberate our strengths.
Ndidi isn't destructive enough? How about someone who has a decent work rate and passes better than Ndidi.
Na you carry France enter O! Not my model. I’d say Liverpool and Chelsea under Conte.
As for Ndidi he’s plenty destructive. My comparison was Aribo.

To emphasise I’m saying:
- Solid defensive shield with more support for Ndidi
- let the full backs push on and support the wide players
- if you play 3 at the back, keep 3 up front.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote: I agree 100% with you on Iwobi and the number 10 role. He isn't skilled or productive enough on the front end to justify his turnovers and suboptimal work rate.

You want to add Etebo to Ndidi, fine, more engine power in the middle, but who will provide the accurate passes for your attacking fullbacks, who will control the tempo for us? Are the fullbacks going to reliably take the ball most of the full length of the field? We don't have fullbacks of that quality. They will need to be fed a constant diet of timely and accurate passes to be effective. Who has shown that they have the sense of timing, the tempo, and the passing range to do this?

I love Ndidi and Etebo to death but their turnover rate will be high, and the high turnover rate is not an indictment on them, but on the frequency of their touches on the ball. More touches, more turnovers, by simple statistics. Who will clean up after them, and also add cover for our marauding fullbacks? Did you see what Etebo's turnovers did to us against Argentina and Croatia? This concern is very, very vital because our center backs are not exactly quick to recover when they are placed on the back foot.

I also think you are somewhat discounting Aribo's value. I really liked the attacking (and defending) dimension he gave us against Brazil in the friendly. We need about 2 more players like him in the squad IMO.

Our play against top teams currently usually looks disjointed, with us reacting frantically and sporadically to their probing and attacking, being pushed around all over the field. Not good for the stomach or the heart. Me no likey.
What I’m trying to do is to get you to see that a central “creative” midfielder is not a necessity. And if you don’t have the players for it, it is useless to keep flogging it. The fact that everyone one CE is salivating over a 19-year french boy, playing in England’s 2nd tier, who has never publicly stated an interest in playing for Nigeria, and to the best of my knowledge has never been, shows how this obsession leads to a ridiculous form of insanity.

Our central midfield is best set up to 1. Be the first line of defence (literally allow us to become a back three when full backs bomb forward) 2. Win the ball 3. Make the simple forward pass that sets up our attack.
What you describe sounds a lot like France under Deschamps. Based on defensive solidity and pace on the flanks, but even they need a Pogba to bring it all together.
waka-man wrote:
I disagree on you judgement on our fullbacks. We have very good fullbacks. Zaidu is one his way to great things and Ebuehi is finally on his way back. My suggested understudy to both in Aina, who has all the talent but maybe needs some serious talking to. He’s not been helped by not having a settled club side, but he’s more than adequate as a back up. Zaidu and Ebuehi are both blessed with the engine to get up and down the field. I also think in such a system, Moses Simon gives you an interesting option in that position.
waka-man wrote:
Have I been harsh on Aribo? Perhaps. But I don’t see the ball-winner we need in that role.

As for Etebo, I think he’s been a victim of us trying to play the system you advocate. In the WC, he was our most advanced of a midfield three and that’s asking for trouble. He was far more effective in the ANC playing a deeper role but again, because he was being asked to link defence and offence, he was over-worked. And that’s where the trouble starts.
That's because he doesn't have the skillset of a #10. I agree he should play a deeper role, but we still need a metronome to bring it all together. Like I said even France under Deschamps, who it seems your vision of the SE is modeled after, still need someone like Pogba to dictate play.
waka-man wrote: I should say this: the one position that requires some through is who plays alongside Ndidi in that midfield. I’m not buying all this Ejaria, Eze, Olise hype. Even if there were ready (they aren’t), we need something more destructive to liberate our strengths.
Ndidi isn't destructive enough? How about someone who has a decent work rate and passes better than Ndidi.
Na you carry France enter O! Not my model. I’d say Liverpool and Chelsea under Conte.

To emphasise I’m saying:
Do the front three have the lungs + discipline to play the press effectively?

Wha choo looking at?!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:

waka-man wrote:
waka-man wrote:

To emphasise I’m saying:
Depends on which three. But here, we have options. That’s the whole point.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:

To emphasise I’m saying:
Liverpool's set up and to a lesser extent Conte's requires:

1 A lot of running and work rate, exactly what I emphasized we need in the absence of a #10, so we are back to square one. The recurring theme seems to be increased work rate.

2. Top quality center backs who not only are comfortable with the ball at their feet but can compete in a foot race and execute risky last ditch tackles when necessary, because top shelf opposition will eventually catch you with your fullbacks upfield. It is no surprise that Liverpool's struggles began after Van Dijk's injury.

Honestly, I don't know if we have the breadth of quality AND professionalism on the squad required to play that kind of system. Chei! See how many deficiencies you can hide and still stay competitive if you have decent midfielders? We no get one way or another so na patch patch mode we go dey for the foreseeable future.

Wha choo looking at?!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:

To emphasise I’m saying:

1 A lot of running and work rate, exactly what I emphasized we need in the absence of a #10, so we are back to square one. The recurring theme seems to be increased work rate.

2. Top quality center backs who not only are comfortable with the ball at their feet but can compete in a foot race and execute risky last ditch tackles when necessary, because top shelf opposition will eventually catch you with your fullbacks upfield. It is no surprise that Liverpool's struggles began after Van Dijk's injury.

Honestly, I don't know if we have the breadth of quality AND professionalism on the squad required to play that kind of system. Chei! See how many deficiencies you can hide and still stay competitive if you have decent midfielders? We no get one way or another so na patch patch mode we go dey for the foreseeable future.
I confess to not understanding the bolded statement...

As for workrate; show me a system that doesn’t require workrate in modern football and I’ll show you a Lesotho team capable of winning the World Cup.

I think if I boil down your various points you don’t rate our current players. You don’t rate their strengths, their workrate and their professionalism. Nothing much I can do to change that.

My argument is fairly straightforward: we are not blessed with creative midfielders so we need a system that isn’t dependent on them, especially as I think we have other strengths.

The rest na gist.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:

To emphasise I’m saying:

As for workrate; show me a system that doesn’t require workrate in modern football and I’ll show you a Lesotho team capable of winning the World Cup.
Come on now. Some systems require more work rate than others. Liverpool's system requires more work rate than most. Have you ever seen SE players run like Liverpool players over 90 minutes?

waka-man wrote:
I think if I boil down your various points you don’t rate our current players. You don’t rate their strengths, their workrate and their professionalism. Nothing much I can do to change that.

My argument is fairly straightforward: we are not blessed with creative midfielders so we need a system that isn’t dependent on them, especially as I think we have other strengths.

The rest na gist.
At key positions needed to play the system you describe, they are not exactly world class. Which center backs do we have that are as good as Van Dijk? Which full backs do we have that are as good as Trent Alexander Arnold?

Wha choo looking at?!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote:

To emphasise I’m saying:

Come on now. Some systems require more work rate than others. Liverpool's system requires more work rate than most. Have you ever seen SE players run like Liverpool players over 90 minutes?

waka-man wrote:

The rest na gist.
At key positions needed to play the system you describe, they are not exactly world class. Which center backs do we have that are as good as Van Dijk? Which full backs do we have that are as good as Trent Alexander Arnold?
I’ll give you two names:

Wilfred Ndidi
Victor Osimhen

Apart from that, we don’t have players in any position that you compare to the world’s best so. So stop your Van Dijk and TAA argument. Because we don’t have a Pogba either and you keep using him as an example.

As for workrate, few players work harder than Etebo or Moses Simon (or Osimhen and Ndidi for that matter), so cut our guys some slack. They may not be world class, but workrate is not the thing to fault them on.

As I’ve said a few times, I’m not sure any more the point of your argument as you’ve just introduced yet another one: Nigeria should play a system that doesn’t require a high workrate. So I’ll repeat: I don’t know what system that is.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

waka-man wrote: I’ll give you two names:

Wilfred Ndidi
Victor Osimhen

Apart from that, we don’t have players in any position that you compare to the world’s best so. So stop your Van Dijk and TAA argument. Because we don’t have a Pogba either and you keep using him as an example.

As for workrate, few players work harder than Etebo or Moses Simon (or Osimhen and Ndidi for that matter), so cut our guys some slack. They may not be world class, but workrate is not the thing to fault them on.

As I’ve said a few times, I’m not sure any more the point of your argument as you’ve just introduced yet another one: Nigeria should play a system that doesn’t require a high workrate. So I’ll repeat: I don’t know what system that is.
Are Ndidi and Osimhen fullbacks? No they aren't. Do we have world class fullbacks? No we don't. Do we have a center back comparable to Van Dijk? No we don't. So diafor we can't play like Liverpool, like you were suggesting we should. World class fullbacks and center backs are necessary (but probably not sufficient) to achieve success with Liverpool's system.

You must have skipped over where I said we have to manage with patch patch because of said lack. I mentioned Pogba because I wished we had a player like him. We don't.

The purpose of this thread was to highlight a longterm weakness with the SE and discuss possible patch patch solutions. You came up with one to your credit(playing like Liverpool) and I simply expressed skepticism that it would be very effective given what we are working with. This ain't hard.

Wha choo looking at?!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
waka-man wrote: I’ll give you two names:

Wilfred Ndidi
Victor Osimhen

Are Ndidi and Osimhen fullbacks? No they aren't. Do we have world class fullbacks? No we don't. Do we have a center back comparable to Van Dijk? No we don't. So diafor we can't play like Liverpool, like you were suggesting we should. World class fullbacks and center backs are necessary (but probably not sufficient) to achieve success with Liverpool's system.

You must have skipped over where I said we have to manage with patch patch because of said lack. I mentioned Pogba because I wished we had a player like him. We don't.

The purpose of this thread was to highlight a longterm weakness with the SE and discuss possible patch patch solutions. You came up with one to your credit(playing like Liverpool) and I simply expressed skepticism that it would be very effective given what we are working with. This ain't hard.
Do you not see the inconsistency in your argument?

On the one hand, we can’t play one system because we don’t have the players.
On the other hand, we can play the system you advocate, with patch patch, even though as you admit, we don’t have the players for it.
Here’s what’s hard (to understand:
Which kin patch be dis wey dey work for only your own ideas?

Here’s what I’d say to you: the system I’m advocating has proven to work with less talented aides: Leicester, Greece, Nigeria 2013, Chelsea under Conte...

What’s hard is trying to pin down your logic to a single argument. Mine one more time:
Play to your strengths, whatever they are.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Adisboy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:I dont think its a case of not having.. but more of a case of tactics and the coach's choice. Every game, out of 25 players, the coach invites only 4 midfielders :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: and then tactics is defend defend defend and then route one, surpassing the midfield! What do you expect?

This is not even new, of you look back to the midfield under Keshi, Eguavoen, Siasia, it was the same. Siasia was the biggest culprit with his 4-2-4! That dude hated midfield! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

All our coaches for years, have tactics that encouraged bypassing the midfield. That is the biggest problem.
The highlighted is the biggest BS i have ever heard. When have we ever played like that? Certainly, not in the last 7 years.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: there is a lot more where that came from
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16