Nigeria moves up to #3 in Africa FIFA rankings

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria moves up to #3 in Africa FIFA rankings

Post by vancity eagle »

Where are the haters who open threads to complain about how SE goes down in FIFA rankings.

Thanks to 2 straight wins, something neither Algeria, Morocco, Senegal, Egypt , or Ghana could achieve we have moved up to #3 in Africa.

- Senegal (22nd)
- Tunisia (26th)
- Nigeria (32nd)
- Algeria (33rd)
- Morocco (34th)

We moved up 4 places from #36 to #32.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigeria moves up to #3 in Africa FIFA rankings

Post by 1naija »

Nigeria is currently the most dangerous team in Africa. If there is no wuru wuru at this nations cup, we will win it easily. None of the teams can match our fire power. We are not too solid on defense but we can defend when we have to. Our midfield is as good as any on the continent.

Only Algeria come close. But they wont get another own goal from Ekong and a fantastic last minute free kick from mahrez to beat us this time.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:Where are the haters who open threads to complain about how SE goes down in FIFA rankings.

Thanks to 2 straight wins, something neither Algeria, Morocco, Senegal, Egypt , or Ghana could achieve we have moved up to #3 in Africa.

- Senegal (22nd)
- Tunisia (26th)
- Nigeria (32nd)
- Algeria (33rd)
- Morocco (34th)

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Let's see...who was the first to jump on CE to tell us when we dropped places?
And who were those joining the celebration? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=302532
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

vancity eagle wrote:Where are the haters who open threads to complain about how SE goes down in FIFA rankings.

- Senegal (22nd)
- Tunisia (26th)
- Nigeria (32nd)
- Algeria (33rd)
- Morocco (34th)

Excellent news and credit to Rohr. But when we see stuff that the team is not doing right we will still point it out. However we won't start supporting Ivory Coast instead and disappear for months because the coach we criticised won.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I think Nigeria is on the cusp.
It’s a really settled side with a good system of cycling out ageing players without disrupting the balance of the side.
It has a back 6 that have now played with each other for almost 5 years and a forward line that has real tournament experience.
The team can flex to meet the occasion - 343, 4141, 433, 352, 442.
And in Ndidi it has one of the best players in his position anywhere on the planet.

We’re in for a treat.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Just done be upset when this comes to bite you in the @$$ in the third round of world cup qualification, when you end of with Ghana/Cameroon/Ivory Coast etc
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

waka-man wrote:I think Nigeria is on the cusp.
It’s a really settled side with a good system of cycling out ageing players without disrupting the balance of the side.
It has a back 6 that have now played with each other for almost 5 years and a forward line that has real tournament experience.
The team can flex to meet the occasion - 343, 4141, 433, 352, 442.
And in Ndidi it has one of the best players in his position anywhere on the planet.

We’re in for a treat.
Only if the manager believes it. I'm not always convinced that he does.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

If Nigeria retains its top 5 ranking on the continent, its inevitable they WILL have to face off with one of the countries ranked outside of the top 5, which could mean any one of the countries you listed (provided there is no major upset in the second round qualifiers).
ANC wrote:Just done be upset when this comes to bite you in the @$$ in the third round of world cup qualification, when you end of with Ghana/Cameroon/Ivory Coast etc
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Bigporker will avoid this thread like a plague. **** is doing well! :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ANC wrote:Just done be upset when this comes to bite you in the @$$ in the third round of world cup qualification, when you end of with Ghana/Cameroon/Ivory Coast etc
I know right? I bet those countries are fasting and praying and paying tithes at RCCG praying they get us. Mscheew..abeg gerrarahia
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1naija wrote:
No mind ANC. The guy na real undercover hater of Nigeria. :laugh:

I know right? I bet those countries are fasting and praying and paying tithes at RCCG praying they get us. Mscheew..abeg gerrarahia
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Otitokoro wrote:If Nigeria retains its top 5 ranking on the continent, its inevitable they WILL have to face off with one of the countries ranked outside of the top 5, which could mean any one of the countries you listed (provided there is no major upset in the second round qualifiers).
Are we now to be more afraid of those countries outside the top five than those within it?
If we had a low ranking, we'd have to meet and knock out a top 5 team unavoidably.
I don't get ANC's logic. :blink:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

So you rather we face Algeria, Senegal, Morocco ?

So long as we win most of our next 6 qualifying games and qualify of course we will be top 5.

I only worry about Ivory Coast, should they get past Cameroon which I fully expect them to do. They have a lot of talent, and if it all comes together at the perfect time, it will be tough for us to beat them.

Anyways I hope some of the favoured teams like Egypt and Tunisia get knocked out so somehow Ivory Coast can make top 5.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: no mind them, they are dancing . i am going to laugh so hard come november. CIV and CMR are both in the same group
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

vancity eagle wrote:

So you rather we face Algeria, Senegal, Morocco ?

So long as we win most of our next 6 qualifying games and qualify of course we will be top 5.

I only worry about Ivory Coast, should they get past Cameroon which I fully expect them to do. They have a lot of talent, and if it all comes together at the perfect time, it will be tough for us to beat them.

Anyways I hope some of the favoured teams like Egypt and Tunisia get knocked out so somehow Ivory Coast can make top 5.
I hear you, but don't forget Ivory Coast are the Netherlands of Africa. They know how to choke even with an abundance of talent as they currently have.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The Last time Cameroon and CIV were in the same WC group the SE failed to qualify. Also the SE failed to qualify after making it to 3 straight worldcup, also , they finished 3rd in the AFCON and like dejavu it is falling into place gradually. 2006 is starting to look like 2022
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:The Last time Cameroon and CIV were in the same WC group the SE failed to qualify. Also the SE failed to qualify after making it to 3 straight worldcup, also , they finished 3rd in the AFCON and like dejavu it is falling into place gradually. 2006 is starting to look like 2022
Chai, this guy is wicked :D
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Damunk wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:If Nigeria retains its top 5 ranking on the continent, its inevitable they WILL have to face off with one of the countries ranked outside of the top 5, which could mean any one of the countries you listed (provided there is no major upset in the second round qualifiers).
Are we now to be more afraid of those countries outside the top five than those within it?
If we had a low ranking, we'd have to meet and knock out a top 5 team unavoidably.
kpom
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Molue Conductor wrote:
Damunk wrote:
kpom
Although the ranking is crap, I do not feel that Nigeria would be afraid of any African country, including Algeria or even a country ranked #7. Fact is that Nigeria against any of those top African countries will be a toss up. It is a matter of mutual respect. Bet on it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

The fact of the matter is, Nigeria stand a better chance against the like of Algeria, Morocco and even Senegal to some extent.
I remember ANC 2000, when I was so sure Nigeria would beat Cameroon, a Cameroonian school mate was confidently sure the game would turn out otherwise.

Nigeria should not wish to face Ghana or Cameroon with a WC ticket on the line, not at least with the current crop of players.
History matters in football ya know?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Group A: Algeria #4
Group B: Tunisia #2
Group C : Nigeria #3
Group D : Cameroon/CIV #8/#10
Group E : Mali #9
Group F : The Pharaohs# 6
Group G: Ghana#7
Group H: Senegal# 1
Group I : Morocco #5
Group J: Dr Congo #11

Fifa ranking
1, Senegal
2, Tunisia
3, Nigeria
4, Algeria
5, Morocco

6, Egypt
7, Ghana
8, Cameroon
9, Mali
10, CIV
11, DRC

Bottom half: Nigeria can comfortably beat only two the teams (DRC and Mali).
Top half: Nigeria can comfortably beat 3 and 1/2 teams (algeria, morocco and Tunisia).

WC ticket is far from being assured
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ANC wrote:The fact of the matter is, Nigeria stand a better chance against the like of Algeria, Morocco and even Senegal to some extent.
I remember ANC 2000, when I was so sure Nigeria would beat Cameroon, a Cameroonian school mate was confidently sure the game would turn out otherwise.

Nigeria should not wish to face Ghana or Cameroon with a WC ticket on the line, not at least with the current crop of players.

I'm glad you and your friend remembered the 2000 ANC game against Cameroon but don't remember the more recent 2017 WC qualifier against them. As for Ghana, good luck counting on them to pick the WC ticket ahead of us. You must have forgotten how they were jubilating with us after we beat them in Port Harcourt in 2001 to pick the WC ticket .
Last edited by 1naija on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:The fact of the matter is, Nigeria stand a better chance against the like of Algeria, Morocco and even Senegal to some extent.

I'm glad you and your friend remember the 2000 ANC game against Cameroon but don't remember the more recent 2017 WC qualifier against them. As for Ghana, good luck counting on them to pick the WC ticket ahead of us. You must have forgotten how they were jubilating with us after we beat them in Port Harcourt to pick the WC ticket .
:laugh:
that should have been investigated by fifa.
Quit living in the past, you dont hear me talking about your Yellow Cab anymore, do u?